Zero Punctuation: Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
icnfde said:
It takes a special kind of moron to review the singleplayer component of a predominantly multiplayer game, even moreso in this case since the Battlefield series has rarely been about SP.

What's next Yahtzee? A Quake 3 Arena singleplayer review?
Though I would of put it much nicer than you, I agree with your point.

I've got to admit, it would appear i've been playing a different Bad Company 2 to Yahtzee. I didn't have a problem at all with too much dust when I destroy an entire building, I kinda thought to myself "Yeah, dust everywhere makes sense". Along with that, I didn't find the enemies had x-ray vision but instead they just didn't act like retards and let me get away with sketching out all their positions on a piece of paper for later reference.

NotVeryOriginal

Nov 18, 2009
Too bad Yahtzee doesn't do multiplayer... I've played BFBC2 for about 30 hours now (Steam keeps track of that sort of thing) and I've not touched the single player campaign. Who knows, it's probably as bad as he says it is.

Anyway... what I really wanted to say was to everyone else:

Please stop comparing MW to BF, at least as far as multiplayer is concerned. That's like comparing a track racing motorcycle to a rally car.

Both are fast, both are great at what they do, but they aren't the same thing so stop trying to compare them.

You might as well compare Bioshock to Fallout 3 (I've not played Bioshock 2 so I can't say).

As for who did "modern" first. Battlefield was first with Battlefield 2 in 2005, or perhaps with the mod "Desert Combat" for Battlefield 1942 released in 2004 though that wasn't created by DICE. I'm not saying BF was the first ever, just the first of these two.

Of course, I would have preferred if they had stayed in the future like with Battlefield 2142 (released in 2006), that was the best... Mmmmm... battle mechs, hover tanks, Titan maps and 64 player servers...

I can see it now, Call of Duty 6: Future War! heh...

Uh Oh... this is pushing the TL;DR threshold...

Shadow-Fox

Nov 11, 2009
Way to go Yahtzee! I definitely wanted to know that detail about your penis -.-
now thats an image i wont be getting out of my head for a while

Eremiel

Apr 24, 2008
Infernal_Me said:
Single player was cool but the MP was god awful.
Anyone else see the irony of the AD for BFBF2 overlaying the video while watching him rip into it?
Had the exact opposite reaction myself. SP was fairly meh, MP is amazingly awesome.

DoctorObviously

May 22, 2009
Thank you Yahtzee, thank you for still being the best reviewer in the world by pointing out what's truly wrong with a game.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Didnt anyone else expect him to say something about Michael Atkinson? :eek:

I was anticipating it through the entire video... but it never happened.

Ah, well... at least he doesnt like Bad Company 2.

And by the looks of it he didnt play the multiplayer which probably would have infuriated him to no end... thats the part of the game that angered me the most by far.

Winnn

Mar 24, 2010
I agree that Yahtzee's "reviews" are no longer the insightful, reliable and incidentally hilarious commentaries they used to be. I literally don't trust his opinion of games any more, because he seems to have sold his soul to the cheap laugh.

I also agree that it's time he stopped judging mutliplayer games based on their single-player portion. He should either earn his money by getting over his aversion to interaction with other people, or go back to reviewing strictly single-player games.

Winnn

Mar 24, 2010
And you can't criticise a game for its genre.
Hating on BC2 for having the elements of a realistic fps.. you may as well criticise Mario Bros. for repetitive gameplay.

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
josh4president said:
Fox News jokes, Yahtzee? Seriously?

I don't want to pretend that a news network - or indeed anything - is supposedly above being mocked, but I've already heard every Fox News joke there is! Multiple times! From utterly unrelated sources!

Surely there must be something in the opposite hemisphere worth mocking beyond Mr. Atkinson, if only for the sheer thrill of hearing something new.

On second thought, just mocking Mr. Atkinson more would also be perfectly acceptable. That bizarre fellow is going to be out of the limelight before too long and it would be a shame to waste the time remaining. It is so rare to find someone who can legitimately earn universal scorn from all sides that it will be almost a shame to be rid of the brain-addled bloke.

*ALMOST*
He already stepped down. So, lime light gone.

Winnn

Mar 24, 2010
Kinguendo said:
And by the looks of it he didnt play the multiplayer which probably would have infuriated him to no end... thats the part of the game that angered me the most by far.
But that's exactly the point: the multiplayer interface of this game has serious issues and gamers would benefit from Yahtzee's discussion of them.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Well I agree so far with this review. The Singleplayer is forgettable, but really Yahtzee you died 50 times in that mortar sequence when all you had to do was walk in a straight line behind the black guy (forgot his name)? Guess we will attribute that to your poor sense of direction.

However BFBC2 is bought solely for the MP and that part is as solid as a Sniper slug to the head.

I had GREAT fun moving with my squad capturing, taking and holding objectives and the destructo cover is hilarious when for example you launch a grenade at the wall and your squad mates pour in through the very useful hole obscured by dust and surprise an enemy squad with a gift of lead.

There are of course issues, the Russian tanks have so much bloom your blinded by dust clouds and can hardly see the enemy when they already see you and since bullets drop with gravity anything in the slightly bloomy area when zoomed in with a sniper rifle is a tricky shot, which stems the sniper spam of older games a bit though if your really good you can still hit enemies regardless of distance long as you can see em.

So in all if your an MP fan get this, especially for PC because if you bought MW2 your both a sucker for COD and probably bored with it by now.

PS: The Engineer can carry 3 weapons, a pistol and MG and an RPG :)

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
I think Yahtzee needs some easier games to play ^^
He doesn't ever seem to get to grips with FPS'.

Piecewise

Apr 18, 2008
How many of these types of games do we have again? War based shooters with an emphasis on multiplayer?

Can't we get something single player focused or something entirely different? Just Cause looks hilarious but needs a jet pack.

Sep 4, 2009
Coincidentally I decided earlier this week I'd get Duke Nukem 3D from GOG. I want strippers, jetpacks and weapons that kill in amusing and farcical ways.

Be glad I don't look for these things outside of computer gaming.

Eremiel

Apr 24, 2008
Opacic said:
We unfortunately have a little crossover from MW2 players, thinking that KD ratios actually matter in this game.
Amen. I play as a medic and I'm one of those people who feel the chest paddles and healthkits are more vital to my class than the machinegun is.

Got mocked by a recon on an enemy team for having a 3/3 K/D in a game of Conquest and thus being a complete noob. I was at the time the highest scoring person on my side and had attained three medical ops pins. Meaning I had resurrected at least 21 people and given my team back TWENTY ONE TICKETS. We won that game with 12 tickets remaining. We had lost if it weren't for me.

K/D doesn't really matter much.

uberDoward

Jan 22, 2010
The Cake Is Annoying said:
Coincidentally I decided earlier this week I'd get Duke Nukem 3D from GOG. I want strippers, jetpacks and weapons that kill in amusing and farcical ways.
Amen to that. Whatever happened to enjoying an FPS?