Zero Punctuation: Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I agree wholeheartedly. Since when did realistic = fun? Some of the best shooters are the best shooters because they made the game fun first and focused on realism second (if at all).

Tolerant Fanboy

Aug 5, 2009
I wasn't interested in getting this game to begin with, so I just watched it to listen to funny British man complain.

I was not disappointed. :D

AfterAscon

Tilting at WHARRGARBL
Nov 29, 2007
I surprised people are getting so up themselves about the fact he didn't review multiplayer, something which he openly admits he doesn't do.

Also the purpose of the bad company series was to introduce a single player experience, the fact that people decide to buy it for the online component doesn't excuse the single-player. I bought B:BC2 for both aspects, I enjoyed the last games single player and this one really let me down, however, the multiplayer is slightly better.

jhy4f9

Nov 9, 2009
So, looks like Yahtzee didn't quite realise that the plot was basically a parody of Modern Warfare 2, and intentionally stole and liberally borrowed the same tropes from across the industry, pausing only to add the explodable buildings. The Battlefield series has never ever pretended to have a decent plot, unlike MW2, and so, because of this and the lame AI, it's a game completely unsuitable for Yahtzee to review.

As for the mortar bit, you needed to stand where the black guy was standing behind cover. I tried to run through it twice before I listened to him shout "get to cover and wait for a break in the barrage" and instantly knew what to do.

The one real area I feel Yahtzee was right was with the really rubbish AI. They know precisely where you are, have ridiculously accurate shotguns but are also incredibly dumb, since they're of the "stand in the open and shoot" variety. Then again, doesn't this just add to the conclusion that the SP is just a bit of silly fun?

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
Not the best episode but it wasn't too bad :p
I was probably focusing too much on my psp instead of listening to what he was saying.

Sep 4, 2009
uberDoward said:
The Cake Is Annoying said:
Coincidentally I decided earlier this week I'd get Duke Nukem 3D from GOG. I want strippers, jetpacks and weapons that kill in amusing and farcical ways.
Amen to that. Whatever happened to enjoying an FPS?
I blame the multiplayer bandwagon. I think the original bitching about realism had to come from arguments like "The only reason you won is because you exploited x" or whatever.

And then the marketing department read it and then the strippers and shrink ray and other mighty foot were gone. F*&K YOU marketing department!

And who says if aliens invade there won't be a surge of demand for strippers? I for one would welcome the distraction.

kuposenpai

Nov 23, 2009
would it not be more fun to go out somewhere with friends in a closed off area and go bat shit crazy with nerf guns?

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
This is another case of a game made around multiplayer with the single player tacked on the last minute. The entire battlefield series up to the original bad company was entirely about multiplayer and DICE still has not gotten the single player right.

Also, just about everything this game does/doesn't do is because MW2 did/didn't do it. Think about it, what has the game done that either is straight off a rip off to Modern Warfare 2 or highly hyped because it isn't doing it? They stuffed the fact that PC's have dedicated servers and that the game is "single play focused" (which it isn't really) while forgetting to mention the story, pacing and even a good deal of the locations are in the realm of "Painting a stolen car to sell it back to the owner."

DanHibiki

Aug 5, 2009
On the plus side, when Russia takes over video games like STALKER will not only be the norm but also the reality.

Caiti Voltaire

Feb 10, 2010
meditator101 said:
Good to see someones finally criticizing this game!
Yes, no kidding, but we do have to remember that people praising entirely shit games is nothing new to the world of games.

I don't think BC2 is a bad game, but its nothing new and the few new things (DUUUUUSSSST) are entirely unhelpful and annoying. I really do wish that people would realise that realistic dickery in games is still dickery.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
God... what next, you will review WoW without mentioning the multiplayer? You will review it based on your experience at the login screen and game's options?

THIS IS BATTLEFIELD. MULTIPLAYER IS 95% OF THE GAME.

He's complaining about dust in a realistic game? That's like complaining that a shounen anime has too many fights! Or a comic book has too many pictures.
remm2004 said:
I was expecting FFXIII, I want to see Yahtzee tearing it a new one, but oh well
So Bad Company 2 is as generic as it?s cover?
Yes, the single-player is generic.

Multiplayer-focused game.

Thank you very much.

canadamus_prime said:
So it's just MW2... again. ...joy. /sarcasm
Oh yeah and Yahtzee, that bit at the end of the credits was more information than I needed, thanks.
Try watching an actual review instead of a parody (ZP), with video footage of the gameplay. Then watch a MW2 video. Of multiplayer, of course.

Then dare to say they are the same.

A Pious Cultist

Jul 4, 2009
After playing the snow and desert levels which, although awesome, obscure your view with a ton of perma dust. Wouldn't be so bad if enemies didn't keep their 20/5 vision.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Thibaut said:
Thank you Yahtzee, thank you for still being the best reviewer in the world by pointing out what's truly wrong with a game.
He's not a reviewer. How can you call it a review, where you forget to talk about 95% of the game?