Zero Punctuation: Battlefield: Bad Company 2

ioudas omnis

Jul 2, 2008
Sometimes I forget that video games are incredibly serious business. Thank you, random strangers on the Internet, for reminding me.

As far as the review goes, I'm with a lot of the others in saying that, while he didn't review the multiplayer (as he has openly stated that he never does) he didn't really... tell us anything about the game other than there was a lot of dust and things were kind of ridiculous and like every other game of its type in that regard. And as someone who currently can't play online (I have a Mac, no wireless connection to my 360, and a Silver account) I'm infinitely more concerned with the single-player aspect of games, than multiplayer. So, this would have been a beneficial review for me, had I been told anything.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
omg thanks for pointing out the ridiculous glare, dust and smoke. This game has way too much it. and no its nothing like MW2 other than the progressive unlocks.

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
NotVeryOriginal said:
Please stop comparing MW to BF, at least as far as multiplayer is concerned. That's like comparing a track racing motorcycle to a rally car.

Both are fast, both are great at what they do, but they aren't the same thing so stop trying to compare them.
I hold a similar opinion. Yahtzee's recent slump into crippling single-playerhood aside, Bad Company and Modern Warfare need to stop being compared.

Modern Warfare looks and acts realistic, Bad Company is. Modern Warfare knows what guns are, Bad Company knows how they work. Modern Warfare is less realistic than Bad Company, though that doesn't have to be a bad thing.

People play Modern Warfare for many of the same reasons that one would play Bad Company, but I prefer BC for the subtle differences. Like actual realism as opposed to implied realism, destructible scenery, and vehicles. The small differences draw a very fine line, a line that is not to be blurred.

kuposenpai said:
would it not be more fun to go out somewhere with friends in a closed off area and go bat shit crazy with nerf guns?
It sure would.
And good news! It only costs five-six times as much as buying a video game!

Math. Do it next time. Thank you.

scout48

Nov 25, 2008
Wow, Mosaic Filter.... WOW. oh, and the only part I like about this game is it was free (a gift) and the multi-player isn't bad... company

sooperman

Feb 11, 2009
scout48 said:
Wow, Mosaic Filter.... WOW. oh, and the only part I like about this game is it was free (a gift) and the multi-player isn't bad... company
I see what you did there.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Good review Yahtzee.

This is why I hate every single shooter being made. None of them appeal in any way because they're all a bunch of ripoffs of a bad genre. :/

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
Abedeus said:
God... what next, you will review WoW without mentioning the multiplayer? You will review it based on your experience at the login screen and game's options?

THIS IS BATTLEFIELD. MULTIPLAYER IS 95% OF THE GAME.
Boo-hoo. I guess asking for games that bother to put in a single player mode not to half-ass them is too much for them to handle. I mean, it's not like they could release a game that's only based on multiplayer and focus solely on making that good.

Ah, wait a second. They already did that. It starts with a 'C' and ends in 'ounterstrike.'

Abedeus said:
He's complaining about dust in a realistic game? That's like complaining that a shounen anime has too many fights! Or a comic book has too many pictures.
Possibly...except that Bad Company plays as if every environment is just recovering from a dustbowl, and every square foot of ground is lightly piled dust just waiting to go flying into the air. That's not how the real world works. You don't replicate the dust cloud from 9/11 every time you blow a hole in a brick wall.

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
sooperman said:
kuposenpai said:
would it not be more fun to go out somewhere with friends in a closed off area and go bat shit crazy with nerf guns?
It sure would.

Don't forget that you also pay five times the cost to do it once.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Abedeus said:
canadamus_prime said:
So it's just MW2... again. ...joy. /sarcasm
Oh yeah and Yahtzee, that bit at the end of the credits was more information than I needed, thanks.
Try watching an actual review instead of a parody (ZP), with video footage of the gameplay. Then watch a MW2 video. Of multiplayer, of course.

Then dare to say they are the same.
*sniff sniff* I smell a fanboy.

Supernova2000

Shivan Sympathizer
May 2, 2009
"Realistic" shooters in general should be thrown into a black hole! Every time I've played a "realistic" game, I've found the inevitable UN-realistic bits all the more glaring. Lets have a game about a kangaroo fighting off space marines with a gun that shoots parsnips (aka rotten carrots) and whose pouch stores not a baby kangaroo but a supply of mines, which when detonated, punch the obnoxious marines into the skybox with boxing gloves made out the heads of other space marines.

Games just take themselves far too seriously nowadays!

Mechanix

Dec 12, 2009
I disagree.

Having a big mustache will allow you to survive any mortar hit, because it's a god damn mustache.

Iamjacksego

Feb 12, 2010
Wait, wait, wait.

So, he reviews Borderlands, a game with arcadey damage models where you can carry a ridiculous amount of guns and your health regenerates back to perfection in seconds, and he says it's a pile of rubbish.

Now, he reviews BC2, and he complains that he wishes there was a game where you could carry a ridiculous amount of guns and your health regens in seconds.

It seems like the man is impossible to please. Literally, impossible to please. The videos are amusing, but anyone basing their purchases off of Yahtzee's recommendations is crazy or a total fanboy. BC2 was a fun game, single-player and multi-player. I definitely enjoy the multiplayer more, but the single was a fun experience, and well fleshed-out on its own. Everyone complaining about a multiplayer game that foregoes a good single player game is talking out of their kiester. Both BC2 and MW2 had excellent single-player campaigns that worked very well in addition to stellar multiplayer. If you and you alone say it was bad and tens of millions of players respectfully disagree, I would say you're not the sort of person worth marketing to anyway.

Baradiel

Mar 4, 2009
He made some good points, like the mortar bits. However, while no where near as funny as the first one, the character relationships are still pretty funny. It might be lacking the brilliant story of chasing a truck of gold while invading a neutral country, fighting Russians, Mercenaries and Serdaristanians, with an egotistical-yet-naive dictator and the mercenary leader who survived the last game but made no appearance in the sequel, it has it's moments.

Also, the Battlefield series has ALWAYS been about multiplayer. While games like COD have a multiplayer network that has more users than Crack cocaine the singleplayer, while ridiculous in the extreme, at least can stand alone.

I wouldn't call Yahtzee narrowminded but... well I would call him narrowminded, actually. Bad Company 2 is all about the multiplayer,which is what Battlefield games are. By just reviewing the singleplayer, which isn't that great, it doesn't give a MULTIPLAYER-DOMINATED game a chance. For once, it would have been beneficial for Yahtzee to brave the hordes of whining kids to actually experience the game as it's supposed to be experienced.

Funny review, regardless.

sooperman

Feb 11, 2009
Char-Nobyl said:
sooperman said:
kuposenpai said:
It sure would.

Don't forget that you also pay five times the cost to do it once.
Actually, no. You usually end up only paying the cost of a video game every time you want to play Nerf guns to replace the darts you lost. Unless, or course, you are playing indoors, in which case you might as well be playing laser tag or, let's not forget, video games.

Play Nerf guns if you want, I'm not going to bash them or flame you. I just hope you have the cash for that.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Char-Nobyl said:
Abedeus said:
God... what next, you will review WoW without mentioning the multiplayer? You will review it based on your experience at the login screen and game's options?

THIS IS BATTLEFIELD. MULTIPLAYER IS 95% OF THE GAME.
Boo-hoo. I guess asking for games that bother to put in a single player mode not to half-ass them is too much for them to handle. I mean, it's not like they could release a game that's only based on multiplayer and focus solely on making that good.

Ah, wait a second. They already did that. It starts with a 'C' and ends in 'ounterstrike.'
So your argument is that "if SP is bad, don't put it in at all"? Quit while you're ahead?

Battlefield has been a multiplayer-focused game since the beginning. Not reviewing the multiplayer part is like saying "Oh, Team Fortress 2? Crappy game, bots are stupid and it's very hard to play on your own!!! And no tutorials!!"
Abedeus said:
He's complaining about dust in a realistic game? That's like complaining that a shounen anime has too many fights! Or a comic book has too many pictures.
Possibly...except that Bad Company plays as if every environment is just recovering from a dustbowl, and every square foot of ground is lightly piled dust just waiting to go flying into the air. That's not how the real world works. You don't replicate the dust cloud from 9/11 every time you blow a hole in a brick wall.[/quote]

Have you played the game at all? I don't think I had to wait more than 10 seconds for the dust to settle.

And you can manage just fine if your recon can spot targets for you... Oh, wait, we're still talking about SP?

canadamus_prime said:
Abedeus said:
canadamus_prime said:
So it's just MW2... again. ...joy. /sarcasm
Oh yeah and Yahtzee, that bit at the end of the credits was more information than I needed, thanks.
Try watching an actual review instead of a parody (ZP), with video footage of the gameplay. Then watch a MW2 video. Of multiplayer, of course.

Then dare to say they are the same.
*sniff sniff* I smell a fanboy.
That's you. Yahtzee is not really a serious reviewer. He's an entertainer.

Also, you didn't bother to respond to the "no multiplayer review" argument.

awatkins

Oct 17, 2008
I played the first one a while ago and even though it was sorta amusing to break all the buildings, the support cast pissed me off EVERY time they had to talk. Their personality traits were worst than a horrible human malfunction offspring between Steven Harper and Gille Duceppe.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
This is the one time where I will excuse a game for good multiplayer.

Knifewounds said:
Dust! Yahtzee's new arch nemesis
Someone outlaw QTEs when I wasn't looking?