Zero Punctuation: Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Tarik94

Sep 13, 2008
really good review, but i was expecting you to talk about the fucked up anti tank weapon who shoots altillery projectiles and the fact that YOU CAN'T FUCKING PRONE!!!!!!!!!

sbrff

Feb 26, 2010
what...does mass effect use that re-generating health? O_O
That was one if the few things i loved about ME 1, that it was difficult!
Ah, what a shame!

But some games are good with re-generating health, like saints row, just cause, assassins creed....those types of games, not FPS. They are getting way to easy theis days! =/

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
uberDoward said:
The Cake Is Annoying said:
Coincidentally I decided earlier this week I'd get Duke Nukem 3D from GOG. I want strippers, jetpacks and weapons that kill in amusing and farcical ways.
Amen to that. Whatever happened to enjoying an FPS?
Good question.

I'm sitting over here, enjoying BC2 while everybody else is too caught up apeing Yathzee and pretending that being bitchy all the time makes them look cool. What happened?

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
sooperman said:
Actually, no. You usually end up only paying the cost of a video game every time you want to play Nerf guns to replace the darts you lost.
I said you pay for a video game once. You pay large amounts of money to play Nerf at an arena, not to mention buy the guns, replacement darts, etc. And you need to do that each time, except for the gun, and unless you...hell, rent it, I guess, if it's anything like paintball.

sooperman said:
Unless, or course, you are playing indoors, in which case you might as well be playing laser tag or, let's not forget, video games.
I can actually hear the whistle as the actual content of my post whizzed over your head.

sooperman said:
Play Nerf guns if you want, I'm not going to bash them or flame you. I just hope you have the cash for that.
I see. So you've got both poor reading comprehension *and* a holier-than-thou douchey attitude. You're a real winner.

awatkins

Oct 17, 2008
Abedeus said:
Thibaut said:
Thank you Yahtzee, thank you for still being the best reviewer in the world by pointing out what's truly wrong with a game.
He's not a reviewer. How can you call it a review, where you forget to talk about 95% of the game?
If you don't like the format that Yahtzee presents HIS internet videos than don't watch them. Simple as that, when I dont like whats on the radio I put a CD on and when I go down town on a Friday night I stick to Irish Pubs instead of Dance Clubs. Why? Because I don't subject myself to something that I'll spend the next fortnight complaining about.

Anticitizen_Two

Jan 18, 2010
Thank God someone else dislikes this game. Admittedly, Yahtzee hates almost everything, but still. My friends are gigantic FPS thickies to the point where they play no other genres, and they think that the multiplayer is amazing. I look at it and I fail to see what makes it different from any other damn shooter.

Abedeus said:
Try watching an actual review instead of a parody (ZP), with video footage of the gameplay. Then watch a MW2 video. Of multiplayer, of course.

Then dare to say they are the same.
I, personally, fail to see any major difference.

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
Abedeus said:
Char-Nobyl said:
Abedeus said:
God... what next, you will review WoW without mentioning the multiplayer? You will review it based on your experience at the login screen and game's options?

THIS IS BATTLEFIELD. MULTIPLAYER IS 95% OF THE GAME.
Boo-hoo. I guess asking for games that bother to put in a single player mode not to half-ass them is too much for them to handle. I mean, it's not like they could release a game that's only based on multiplayer and focus solely on making that good.

Ah, wait a second. They already did that. It starts with a 'C' and ends in 'ounterstrike.'
So your argument is that "if SP is bad, don't put it in at all"? Quit while you're ahead?
Since you love gross oversimplifications, I'll use a real-world parallel: if you can cook an amazing steak dinner, there's no logical reason you should be compelled to take a dump on a plate and serve it as an appetizer. It will only hurt your reputation, no matter how amazing a cook you are otherwise, and people are well within their rights to call that 'meal' the piece of shite that it is.

Abedeus said:
Battlefield has been a multiplayer-focused game since the beginning. Not reviewing the multiplayer part is like saying "Oh, Team Fortress 2? Crappy game, bots are stupid and it's very hard to play on your own!!! And no tutorials!!"
Except that Team Fortress 2 doesn't try and pretend that it offers an amazing single-player experience. It knows what it is, and has no illusions to the contrary. Unlike Battlefield, apparently.

cocoadog

Oct 9, 2008
There is dust because the maps are massive and its hard for a game to generate terrain 3 miles away. bfbc2 > mw2.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, well Yahtzee you might want to take a look at what Russia has been up to "recently. Starting with the fact that they decided to attempt to assasinate a pro-American/Western Democracy leader in Ukraine during an election. Then of course we've got the entire Georgia incident, which lead to them cutting off the fuel pipeline to the EU just to prove that they could, and threatening Poland with nuclear annihilation for hosting defensive missle bases that would you know... make it harder for them to threaten Europe as a whole with nuclear annihilation.

It's not really the "Right wing paranoids" that are a problem, it's more of a left wing "peace at any price" crowd that seems to remain blissfully oblivious to what is going on with China and Russia. The kinds of people that have nations going "who cares about what is actually going on, and the long term effects, as long as we can benefit from trade and up our standard of living a bit right now".

I think labeling this kind of thing as "immature power fantasy" is a bit of a problem. Sure it *IS* propaganda of a sort, but at the same time wars and frequently won and lost based on propaganda, and ironically that is actually where we are heading.

dryg

Feb 8, 2009
Arrhghrghrh

Why does people even play the single player? Its a multiplayer game, like every Battlefield before it.
Also, if you fail at the multiplayer, get some friends and play as a squad. Usually one organized squad dominate the enitre match.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Abedeus said:
canadamus_prime said:
Abedeus said:
canadamus_prime said:
So it's just MW2... again. ...joy. /sarcasm
Oh yeah and Yahtzee, that bit at the end of the credits was more information than I needed, thanks.
Try watching an actual review instead of a parody (ZP), with video footage of the gameplay. Then watch a MW2 video. Of multiplayer, of course.

*sniff sniff* I smell a fanboy.
That's you. Yahtzee is not really a serious reviewer. He's an entertainer.

Also, you didn't bother to respond to the "no multiplayer review" argument.
No, not I. You're the one making a federal case out of this.

Iamjacksego

Feb 12, 2010
Char-Nobyl said:
Abedeus said:
Char-Nobyl said:
Abedeus said:
God... what next, you will review WoW without mentioning the multiplayer? You will review it based on your experience at the login screen and game's options?

THIS IS BATTLEFIELD. MULTIPLAYER IS 95% OF THE GAME.
Boo-hoo. I guess asking for games that bother to put in a single player mode not to half-ass them is too much for them to handle. I mean, it's not like they could release a game that's only based on multiplayer and focus solely on making that good.

Ah, wait a second. They already did that. It starts with a 'C' and ends in 'ounterstrike.'
So your argument is that "if SP is bad, don't put it in at all"? Quit while you're ahead?
Since you love gross oversimplifications, I'll use a real-world parallel: if you can cook an amazing steak dinner, there's no logical reason you should be compelled to take a dump on a plate and serve it as an appetizer. It will only hurt your reputation, no matter how amazing a cook you are otherwise, and people are well within their rights to call that 'meal' the piece of shite that it is.

Abedeus said:
Battlefield has been a multiplayer-focused game since the beginning. Not reviewing the multiplayer part is like saying "Oh, Team Fortress 2? Crappy game, bots are stupid and it's very hard to play on your own!!! And no tutorials!!"
Except that Team Fortress 2 doesn't try and pretend that it offers an amazing single-player experience. It knows what it is, and has no illusions to the contrary. Unlike Battlefield, apparently.
at what point does BC2 "pretend to offer an amazing single-player experience"? Have you even read the box? Did you read the reviews? Did you read the previews and first impressions? This game has been billed as a multiplayer ticket since the beginning. It's a multiplayer game where the single player serves to introduce you to various weapons and mechanics that you'll be using regularly in multi, such as mortar strikes, vehicle combat, destructible cover, and sniping/spotting. Personally, I'm glad they included a way to familiarize yourself with the mechanics in a way that includes a plot and occassionally amusing NPCs so that when you hit multi, you do it at a brisk stride instead of a crawl. It's better than nothing, to be certain; just ask anyone who's hopped into their first CS game.

Anticitizen_Two said:
Thank God someone else dislikes this game. Admittedly, Yahtzee hates almost everything, but still. My friends are gigantic FPS thickies to the point where they play no other genres, and they think that the multiplayer is amazing. I look at it and I fail to see what makes it different from any other damn shooter.

Abedeus said:

I, personally, fail to see any major difference.
If you call your friends "gigantic FPS thickies", I question whether you've played enough FPSes to distinguish the difference between MW2 and BC2. MW2 features fast, frenetic combat in tight areas, while BC2 features much greater implementation of tactical approaches and teamwork. Everyone has a job in BC2, and you will lose if most of your team isn't doing their job correctly. Recons spot and mortar, medics fix you up, engies handle vehicles, and assaults handle ground troops. If you took out all of the vehicles, cut the maps by a quarter of their size, and removed all of the kits but assault, only then would BC2 be the same as MW2. And none of this is mentioning that the destructible cover brings a great deal of tactical consideration to attacking objectives. Simply protecting an enclosed objective isn't enough when a rival team can use tank artillery to simply bring the building down on top of it, and mortar strikes/air support can turn an entrenched force's cover into a clearing if properly used. Those simply aren't options in MW2.

VGFreak1225

Dec 21, 2008
No surprise here. Everyone has said that the single-player campaign wasn't all that great, and since everyone praises it for the multiplayer, Yahtzee wouldn't give a crap. Well, I guess I'll be passing this one for the time being.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Battlefield: Bad Company 2

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Battlefield: Bad Company 2.

Watch Video
So, but this time I've got to say that you're absolutely WRONG, Yahtzee. Sure, there are many similarities with Modern Warfare 2, but there are much more difference in it that makes it a so much more better game overall. For example, why give a player many, many explosives if you cannot use them because you enemy is hiding in a house behind a wall that you cannot reach; with BFBC2, all one has to do is grenade, C4, or whatever else to blow that wall up and then the enemy is a sitting duck.

Also, you must play the online parts. I know, I know, you hate online games and would much rather LAN something with a bunch of your sailor....er, your buddies, but trust me. There's a significant difference between MW2's grenade+knife throwing spammy small mapped matches and BFBC2's large maps of chaotic fights with vehicles, bullets, explosives, destruction, insanity, and just good ol' fun.

P.S. In the multiplayer, you can either defibrillate an enemy to death or use a repair tool to drill their skull....HOW IS THAT NOT FUN?!

Edit:
Did anyone find that the whole "he's a double agent who's father was the guy you played in the first level of the game during WWII who was sent to die by his own government" thing to be so twisty that it felt like something M. Night Shamalan wrote it?

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
awatkins said:
Abedeus said:
Thibaut said:
Thank you Yahtzee, thank you for still being the best reviewer in the world by pointing out what's truly wrong with a game.
He's not a reviewer. How can you call it a review, where you forget to talk about 95% of the game?
If you don't like the format that Yahtzee presents HIS internet videos than don't watch them. Simple as that, when I dont like whats on the radio I put a CD on and when I go down town on a Friday night I stick to Irish Pubs instead of Dance Clubs. Why? Because I don't subject myself to something that I'll spend the next fortnight complaining about.
I like his videos. I just don't treat them seriously. Like pretty much anyone who has been here for a longer time, I know that his "reviews" aren't worth a diddly.

Char-Nobyl said:
Yes, Battlefield, the multiplayer-focused series should be only reviewed by looking at its single player. You are absolutely right.
Anticitizen_Two said:
Maybe because you only look at it. Try playing a sniper after 10 years of multiplayer gaming, but forgetting that any Engineer, Assault or any of the vehicles can not just destroy the wall you are hiding behind, but also collapse the entire building on you.

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
I would consider getting BC2 if they weren't being such arrogant assholes about the game. They make fun, moch, and try to one-up MW2 at every corner. Sorry, how much have you borrowed from the Modern Warfare series and you still feel you're better then it? Shut the fuck DICE.

BoldBaldBastard

Aug 19, 2009
Shame he didn't try the multiplayer bit.. then he could moan about the knife being like a nuclear enhanced light saber. That could cut down the emperor, darth vader and the entire jedi council in a single swing. The real problem of the game! Though the dust is spot-on too, i guess.. i haven't touched singleplayer of this game though. And Mr Y. is really obsessed with only trying the single player bits.

Anticitizen_Two

Jan 18, 2010
Iamjacksego said:
I've found the kits in Bad Company 2 to be incredibly ineffective as a system. All of them are quite capable of killing people, which really detracts from them each having their own specific job. It starts to get a lot closer to simply choosing your primary weapon, which is exactly how the class system in MW2 works. Also, the fact that you can pick up kits completely ruins the entire system for me. For an example of a good class system, I would point to the Team Fortress series, although primarily TF2. I've never been a fan of how the Battlefield series operated its kits. And while it's true that the maps are larger than the ones in MW2, my experiences have led me to conclude that there's not much more strategy to be had. People do travel in packs a bit more, but there's no coherent sense of teamwork that is so prevalent in, say, Counter-Strike. Sure, it appears to be there; there are medics and ammo packs, but when it comes down to it they're not necessary. Health regenerates and you very rarely find yourself low on ammo (at least from my experience). The core gameplay of the two games is incredibly similar: in both of them one man is able to rack up kill after kill after kill if they're skilled enough. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but there's not enough of a focus on the collective team to truthfully label BC2 as being that much more focused on the collective.
Abedeus said:
Maybe because you only look at it. Try playing a sniper after 10 years of multiplayer gaming, but forgetting that any Engineer, Assault or any of the vehicles can not just destroy the wall you are hiding behind, but also collapse the entire building on you.
Well, I worded that poorly. I have played the game. For my exact complaints about the game you can read my above response.