Zero Punctuation: BioShock 2

M4rsch

Feb 21, 2009
Hmm. But nobody expected an actual sequel did they?
Everyone just wanted 'more' of Bioshock. Never could quite work that one out actually. Maybe I shouldn't have played it on the PC.

Also, Yahtzee, you being something like the voice of thousands of hateful and disappointed gamers, I would like to ask you to mail yourself to the Valve HQ and bludgeon the shit out of those lazy cunts with one of your toy imps.
Seriously, when the hell are they going to release some news about Episode 3 or Portal 2?

Jonesy911

Jul 6, 2009
Yahtzee said you can only save little sisters after they've collected 2 lots of adam for you, this is wrong. You can simply adopt them, take them to a vent and save them there. You dont have to defend them while they get adam.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
I thought he'd rant on the Big Sister a little bit more but oh well and he did't ever mention the Brute Splicer which I think is the most annoying enemy in the whole game, even more annoying than the Alpha series since they can come in at any time and the Alpha series usually come in at predetermined times. Nice review Yahtzee!

42forlife

Aug 31, 2009
I was wondering about the prototype thing myself. It's like if a character has some sort of latin title he automatically becomes more bad ass.

CyricZ

Sep 19, 2009
Knifewounds said:
It should inexcusable for a sequel to suck worse than the original game. But, can you blame a developer for experimenting with there own franchise to see what does, and doesn't work?
Well, you certainly can if it doesn't work. In this case the "not work" was more thematic than mechanic, although there were still a few nigglings to be had at the mechanics.

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
Maybe I'm on my own actually liking the defending the little sister while she milking the corpse dry. Setting up traps, and just sitting back watching the splicers get posted to a wall burning with the Rivet Gun's highest upgrade...

That said the plot was nothing special (I ignored it after the first or second monologue once it was obvious she was just the polar opposite of Ryan). Also the collectible recordings were a big let down.

Alright review, not laugh out loud funny. But okay.

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
A vending machine you say?

In that case I can't wait for Bioshock 3 multiplayer.

haruvister

Jun 4, 2008
Well done, Yahtzee. While the rest of the journalistic community half-arsedly admit that BS2 is just an empty cash-in by nervously tweaking their score to 8/10, you tell it how it is.

Quantupus

Apr 15, 2009
You can actually rescue little sisters at any time you want. You can still walk up to a vent and choose rescue or harvest even if you haven't gathered any ADAM with them, the only difference is that the vent isn't highlighted.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
The only thing more predictable than the review are peoples responses.

The only parts I agree with is that the Big Sisters should be more annoyed with you harvesting than saving, it would make those trying to get more ADAM (aka, the easier option) have something to worry about in return. The other part is that it was a little odd how they still allowed you to eat/drink/smoke, I never got that decision.

If you are going to ***** about the story then how about knowing it first, half the complaints made are explained and he says that Sophia Lamb's voice is annoying but didn't complain about it in Gears of War 2 where it's the same actress using the same voice.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
the whole undertone of WHHHHYYYYYYYYY in the video pretty much sums up how I felt when i heard they were coming out with a sequel.

I thought I had misheard and perhaps it would be a prequel...but no.

Playing as a big daddy seemed so forced, and the first game ended where it should have.

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Latinidiot said:
hmm, I disagree. I think Bioshock 2 is still fun. not as good as the original, but still good.
I agree with this assessment, as mentioned in my review.

I for one can't wait for "BIOSHOCK 3: CIRCUS OF VALUES PAIN".
would you shoot alcoholic beverages at your enemies until they die, and play that little tune you get when you exit it?

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
42forlife said:
I was wondering about the prototype thing myself. It's like if a character has some sort of latin title he automatically becomes more bad ass.
I suppose dumbing down the Big Daddy's is the equivilent of a kill switch? Don't make them too strong or too smart so they don't bite your frakkin' head off...Though considering they're one of three enemies in the game at actually pose a threat, they're not that much of a walkover.

IckleMissMayhem

Oct 18, 2009
I have only one niggle with the review - The chances of Tranmere Rovers scoring 3 goals? Bwahahahahahaha!!!

Oh, and different types of endings = evil forced-replay scourge upon the earth. Damn things.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
I'm reminded of many a sequel by technically proficient companies: Better gameplay but a plot only a circle-jerk of complete hacks could find adequate as a follow-up.