Zero Punctuation: BioShock: Infinite

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
I'm guessing Yahtzee missed a voxophone or two, cause his comment on Vigors is explained.
They really did fall out of another universe, Rapture's. One of the voxophones explains that Fink was stealing technology from Rapture's universe, which lead to the creation of Vigors, the tech for Handymen, and Songbird being based on Big Daddies.

Marik Bentusi

Aug 20, 2010
My experience with Infinite was basically this. [http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/093/6/b/bioshock_infinite_retrospect__spoilers__by_marikbentusi-d60bgxk.jpg]

No idea how Yahtzee thought Bioshock Infinite's ending was tied up tho
considering we're ending on an after-credits cliffhanger. Which I really hope is a respawned Booker.

DaKiller

Jan 15, 2011
Well I suppose the reason vigors don't mess up Columbia as much even though they're
Plasmids stolen from a tear to Rapture
is because they didn't use Adam and people aren't really splicing up so much as they're only sticking to the very few and minimalistic vigors which can only be upgraded twice mind you.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Steve the Pocket said:
It's been three years, and Yahtzee still has yet to adequately explain why he hated BioShock 2 so much. His actual review came down to a load of silly nitpicks of the sort he would normally reserve for games he likes and has to fill time complaining about anyway, and he hasn't said anything beyond "Grr sequels" since.
Because historically, Yahtzee has a soft spot for games that aim to be something different and fail in the attempt (Dark Void, Mirror's Edge), but contempt for sequels that are safe, naked cash grabs that do little to distinguish themselves from the original, or worse, fail to understand the appeal of the original.

So BioShock Infinite, a mostly good game that really tries to do things differently, gets high marks from him, despite its many problems.

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
TopazFusion said:
I think I also missed the significance of the 4 gay blokes.

Well, time for a replay...
They are singing a Beach Boys song, God Only Knows. Fink's brother could see tears, and they would take information from them to get rich. The quartet is an example of the brother taking popular music he sees in tears and taking it as his own. You can find other songs like that throughout the game, as well as tears where you can hear music coming out from them, such as Girls Just Wanna Have Fun.

Emorich

Feb 18, 2009
You barely even mentioned Elizabeth! She was the heart and soul of the game! I've even seen it argued that the Booker isn't even the main character of the game, just the player character. Not to mention how much she helps out in combat.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Oh come now, Bioshock 2 wasn't THAT bad. True it's story wasn't as good but overall I felt it was better gameplay wise, even the tacked on multiplayer was passable.

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
okay, I bought the game yonks ago (preordered actually) but not having access to a proper computer, I have to wait at least another month before I can play it. and since I've beew looking forward to the game ever since it was announced, here's a question:

are there any spoilers in the video or should I just return to it and watch it next month? I would browse through the comments and see if someone mentioned something about the spoilers but that would in turn spoil the video :D

could someone please just quote this post and tell me if there are any spoilers in the review?

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
MiskWisk said:
The significance was they were singing "God only knows" by the Beach boys in 1966. It is a hint that they are abusing the tears to advance themselves by taking things from the future and other worlds.

OT: Nice review. Surprised he didn't mention certain things but the "Get out" part was more than worth it.
That makes so much sense now. I guess it is because I don't know the song. The only time I really noticed the whole "abuse" of the tears was when that lady was singing "Fortunate Son" in the slums.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Glad he liked the game and the review was okay but I've not really had much interest for this game but loved Bioshock 2 regardless of all the hate it gets.

I'd probably say the game of the year for me this year will be between Dead Island Riptide, GTA V, Rayman legends and Asassins Creed Black flag.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
I'm not surprised that Yahtzee enjoyed it. It's fun and enjoyable game that I really had a strong desire to play. I gotta say, it's been a while since a game has made me feel that way. Is it perfect? No. But who fucking cares? The important question is whether or not you enjoyed it.

There is but one criticism I would level at the game:
It's a little odd how the enemies neither acknowledge or attack Elizabeth. It kind of makes sense whenever you're fighting against Founders, being as they know who she is, but when you're up against Slate's men or the Vox, it seems a bit odd. I mean, she's throwing Booker ammo, salts, and healing. If I were a soldier on the field of battle, I know who I'd aim for first... But it's hard to work that sort of thing out, because then protecting Elizabeth would really mean babysitting Elizabeth, so the whole thing would be Resident Evil 4 all over again.

I was, at best, confused by this, but was in no way annoyed. It didn't break the entire game down like it did for some people.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Anoni Mus said:
Proverbial Jon said:
Bioshock Infinite is my favourite game of this generation. Hands down, no competition. And considering how little time is left of this generation, apparently, it's going to take a real whopper of a game to snatch that title from Infinite.
Super Mario Galaxy is the best game of this generation according to gamerankings. Sorry bud. Might lack in story and in characters but actually has fun gameplay.
You might notice that I said favourite and not best game. That makes it my opinion rather than solid fact and avoids arguments! I'm fully aware that there are games that do certain things far better than Infinite but none have captivated my sense of wonder so completely.

Besides, I'm more of a story and setting person when it comes to games. Most of my favourite games actually have terrible gameplay!

HalloHerrNoob said:
Seriously? He cant say BS:I is HIS favorite game of the generation because the ratings to another game are higher?
Are you kidding me?
Get ready to hit your head against a wall, cause it also is mine!
You're my hero, simply for sharing my superior opinion!

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
1rock said:
I actually wanted to Google the new Bioshock Infinite and get more info on the game like "can it be played offline" Now normally this would be a stupid question to ask. But not lately... Our internet takes 5 minutes just to bring up Google. Now imagine downloading updates and whatever else...

Why oh why do games need to be online ALL THE TIME? Also ever wondered what will happen when those servers go the way of the dodo???
It's a single player offline game.

Go nuts.

heroicbob

Aug 25, 2010
for the most part i agreed with everything Yahtzee was saying which is rare for me

I'm ashamed to say that the kkk mickey mouse gave me a laugh

Juan Regular

Jun 3, 2008
So glad he liked the combat. From a pure gameplay perspective I thought it was honest to god the most fun FPS I´ve played in ages. I can not understand why so many people consider it bland or boring.