Zero Punctuation: BioShock

hebbazz

Sep 5, 2007
It's true Bioshock was an actiongame. And I don't mind you being nice. Especially when you are nice to Psychonauts!
That aside I laughed like hell!
Good job! Keep em coming!

jabrwock

Sep 5, 2007
I can't watch these at work anymore, I'm laughing too hard.

Hopefully Fallout 3 won't do the stupified (sorry, simplified) interface so it's "console friendly".

I have the sudden urge to go load up System Shock...

Sep 5, 2007
I do agree with the fact that when looking at one of the preview videos a year ago, it did make out that this game would be very difficult. But fighting a Big Daddy is not the massive apocalyptic, risk ridden battle that I was expecting.
No, when you die you "respawn" and have almost all your health restored and a pleasent stroll around the corner to resume the fight. It's not like S.T.A.L.K.E.R, where if you make the slightest mistake in scraps with bandits or whatever, you basicly get fucked over and that's it... Game Over.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Bioshock was billed as a action game but more,the more part of coarse being a warted down poo fest for for the casual console gaming crowd.

its not bad but not great. personally I am waffing between a 7 and a 8.

I cant wait till Fallout 3 comes out and its just as bad >>

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Brian Easton said:
I'm just going to go ahead and say it, BioShock is not an FPSRPG, it's just a shooter.
Then they should have never brought up "spiritual successor" bit up and merely say IG is now bought and renamed 2K austriala and theya re working on a FPS title.

PR and hype ,gotta love it.

darkfalzx

Sep 5, 2007
Despite the fact that I genuinely like BioShock for its story, atmosphere, and artistic presentation the review is dead on (the game loses 90% of its spook-factor due to being way too easy), not to mention utterly hilarious. The Mother Teresa bit had me hurt myself laughing. Thanks for brightening up my Wednesday: )

Ian Dorsch

Jul 11, 2006
Brian Easton said:
I'm just going to go ahead and say it, BioShock is not an FPSRPG, it's just a shooter.
Yeah. I think that within the last 12 months everyone associated with the game has bent over backwards to ensure that everyone knows it's NOT an RPG, hybrid or otherwise. Which also kind of punctures the Bioshock = System Shock 2 thing, since SS2 is an FPSRPG.

You think Yahtzee's trolling here? It certainly has brought out the NMA crowd.

Joe

Jul 7, 2006
fonzythedog said:
I do agree with the fact that when looking at one of the preview videos a year ago, it did make out that this game would be very difficult. But fighting a Big Daddy is not the massive apocalyptic, risk ridden battle that I was expecting.
No, when you die you "respawn" and have almost all your health restored and a pleasent stroll around the corner to resume the fight. It's not like S.T.A.L.K.E.R, where if you make the slightest mistake in scraps with bandits or whatever, you basicly get fucked over and that's it... Game Over.
And you'd rather have the STALKER-style experience?

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Joe said:
fonzythedog said:
And you'd rather have the STALKER-style experience?
Yes because real PC games offer this thing called quick save where I can save the game on my own and if I die I can re try my tactics.

Ian Dorsch

Jul 11, 2006
ZippyDSMlee said:
Yes because real PC games offer this thing called quick save where I can save the game on my own and if I die I can re try my tactics.
Bioshock has quick save.

Joe

Jul 7, 2006
So what's the difference between the two? Either way, you restart in an advantageous place without much hassle.

Sep 5, 2007
Joe said:
So what's the difference between the two? Either way, you restart in an advantageous place without much hassle.
No, in Bioshock you respawn when you die and just carry on. In STALKER you die and.. um.. that's it. You reload the last save game and try again, maybe try a different tactic.
Yeah I can understand if people don't have the time and would rather play an awsome-but-piss-easy game rather than an awsome-but-rock-solid-hard game. Personally I like to play a game that offers me a challenge. Like playing MGS3 on European Extreme mode with just a knife or something, could I do it? Why not try?

jabrwock

Sep 5, 2007
fonzythedog said:
No, in Bioshock you respawn when you die and just carry on. In STALKER you die and.. um.. that's it. You reload the last save game and try again, maybe try a different tactic.
So user-provided respawn (provided you remembered to quicksave) instead of game-provided respawn...

So do the enemies stay damaged after your doomed attempt to tackle them, or is it just like the game autoloading the last savepoint?

Sep 5, 2007
jabrwock said:
fonzythedog said:
So user-provided respawn (provided you remembered to quicksave) instead of game-provided respawn...

So do the enemies stay damaged after your doomed attempt to tackle them, or is it just like the game autoloading the last savepoint?
Am I not making myself clear enough when I said, you "respawn and carry on". Enemies stay damaged and your health is restored to about 60% so you have a good chance to fight again. This is just a classic case of dumbing a game down for a console. BUT the game is still very good. It seems i'm just blazing through the game quicker than I expected...

And it's not really a "respawn" so to speak when you load the game and try again. You have to retry a whole section again, while actual respawning just let's you come back and join the fray once more.

Ian Dorsch

Jul 11, 2006
fonzythedog said:
Joe said:
Yeah I can understand if people don't have the time and would rather play an awsome-but-piss-easy game rather than an awsome-but-rock-solid-hard game. Personally I like to play a game that offers me a challenge. Like playing MGS3 on European Extreme mode with just a knife or something, could I do it? Why not try?
I'll try again: Bioshock has quick save.

No one is forcing you to use the Vita-chambers. If you don't like that mechanic you can simply quick save/quick load. I know of plenty of people who prefer to do just that.

Bioshock on Hard with a single autosave at the beginning of an area, and if you die you reload. Could you do it? Why not try?

Sep 5, 2007
Ian Dorsch said:
fonzythedog said:
Joe said:

No one is forcing you to use the Vita-chambers. If you don't like that mechanic you can simply quick save/quick load. I know of plenty of people who prefer to do just that.

Bioshock on Hard with a single autosave at the beginning of an area, and if you die you reload. Could you do it? Why not try?
Because I don't want to...

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Ian Dorsch said:
fonzythedog said:
Joe said:

I have been(using auto save) as well as a few other things to make it harder but its annoying to do when the game was made with casual gamers as a target audience.