Zero Punctuation: Borderlands

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
Hm hm... this i call an accurate review. Borderlands was incredibly boring and the story... plot... lines of script... eh, whatever it should be called were pathetic.

I cared about no character, not even my own dude. I mean what was the point of the intro? It did set you up for just disappointment after disappointment.

And the shooter-part of the game was not entertaining enough to make up for the lack of atmosphere and story.

Hm, ah well...

Feb 13, 2008
HauntedQuiche said:
I think thats his angriest review in quite a while.
I thought after his cold that he did an angry review, but this was pure liquid hatred. I don't think he's been this bad since that last batch of JRPGs.

Oh, and FF13 comes out soon...

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
... Huh. And here I thought he was going to stick to his statement that he wouldn't review the game.
I haven't found myself agreeing with him on that many accounts in a good while. He covered every little thing I thought was crap about Borderlands, first and foremost how online gaming is complete bullshit as soon as you're playing with people you don't know, and in the end the only things I liked about the game were the random weapon generator and the cell-shaded graphics.

highpriestdre

Jun 27, 2008
I enjoyed this game a lot, but I can see where someone who likes and plays more shooters than me would be less impressed with it. The art style is what drew me to it, more than anything else. Luckily for me, the gameplay was good enough to not make my magpie like actions come back to bite me in the arse.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
BlueInkAlchemist said:
300lb. Samoan said:
Hey, not that you need anyone telling you how to do your job, but since you caved in to do a Borderlands review I'll go ahead and tell you that you could write a fine XP article about how Borderlands could turn its sequel into a proper triple-A title. Anyone could list the obvious stuff - fully voiced and animated characters instead of paragraphs, more varied settings, more than three different missions - but I think I speak for all of us when I make an appeal to your intimidating machismo and god-like prowess by saying that only a manly man such as yourself could satisfy our curiosity by sharing your unearthly amount of wisdom.

Sarcasm sense... tingling.
Sarcasm? Oh no, that was meant to be bald-faced pandering. Or should I say, BOLD-faced! BA-DUM TSH!

Buried_At_Sea

Nov 18, 2009
I wish the fan boys of games would moan at Yahtzee more; we get funnier reviews out of him when they do lol

Couldn't agree more on Borderlands though. I only found the game a bit fun when I had some other people playing with me on co-op, the single player just dragged. It also annoyed me that the second play through was exactly the same, apart from the enemies getting different names and higher levels.

Darkflamex

Jan 3, 2008
Spot on review and that's coming from a hardcore Borderland player who has 3 maxed out level 50 charactors and completed the game 6 times, lmao

lleulogyll

Nov 18, 2009
I actually really enjoyed this game single player and didn't even do the multiplayer until after I had beaten it. I'm not much of a multiplayer co-op guy but it was still fun taking my buddies with me and watch them die so fast when they were on playthrough 2 with me when they're at level 8. Overall it was hours of fun for me which proves that Yahtzee and I don't really share the same tastes... but it's still fun to listen to him rant.

Jamienra

Nov 7, 2009
How I felt about the game, funny review but it was sorta predictable.
I wanted a Dante's Inferno review!

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
solidstatemind said:
Can't wait for the unreasoning fanboys to start trying to explain to Yahtzee why he's "wrong", and frankly I'm surprised it hasn't already started.
Look, there's tons of criticism to level against this game. It can't be denied, but as someone who's already sank nearly a hundred hours into this game, and at least as much time into Diablo 2 and Quake, the game is undeniably fun. It knows what audience it's going for and as the human bullseye of this target I can attest that no matter how many other games I play, no matter how many times I get tired of this game, I keep coming back. It's just that fun, and it's kinda refreshing how old-school it is.

I think those unreasoning fanboys are the kind of e-mail trolls who don't bother registering for the escapist forums because all they really want to do is make Yahtzee's life a living hell.

Benjeezy

Dec 3, 2009
Yaaay

I kinda liked Borderlands, but my roommate is obsessed with it. He always nags me to play. In fact, he was earlier today at lunch...HE makes me enjoy it less then the quality if the game itself.

TheSugarRay

Dec 23, 2009
I was expecting Dante's inferno sense he was on a God-of-war-clone warpath.
I also feel genuine excitement when the odometer in my car turns, it's the little things.

I had a lot of fun with boarderlands, and then they gave me vehicles and I soon lost interest shortly after that.

But I liked the robot. I'm glad I don't know Yahtze because I'm the most negative person in my group of friends. It would be like the time I watched there will be blood and say what pure hate looks like.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Great review, as always. I'm in the same boat as Yahtzee when it comes to games like this. In my opinion, multiplayer is best when you're with friends you know in real life, whether it be on- or offline. I tried to go with the multiplayer, but it wasn't exactly fun, because no one was talking.

But, that's the deal with life. Not everyone can have a buddy who's off of work on the same day as you and has the same game to play with. Plus, I can't stand first-person shooters. I also couldn't stand when those damn dog-things from Borderlands were hiding below my perspective.