Zero Punctuation: Borderlands

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
I think Yahtzee nailed it's faults pretty well, but I still really enjoyed the game. I like shooters, and there was lots of shooting.

jorgemalgom

Apr 15, 2009
Good review, never the less we will continue whining.
The (business)point of the videos is not if you like or not, but how much people sees it, so there before you next review will be...

burninfidels

Jul 16, 2009
Yahtzee's complaints are perfectly valid and yet I had tons of fun with the game.

Of course, I did play with real life friends, so that might be that.

andsoitgoes

Mar 6, 2008
Lost In The Void said:
Greeat Episode, I was hoping you would tear this game a new one. I am looking forward to your Mass Effect 2 Review, because I actually care about that game and want to see your take on it.
Really?

You do realize that he pissed all over the face of ME1, complained that there was tooo much story, etc, etc, etc.

On another note, I find it funny how much he LOOOOOOOOVED Dragon Age (and yes, I equate him not hating a game to loving it). The amount of boring ramble in that game, compared to ME1/2 was MIND BOGGLING. And the damn game stunk of WoW style grinding and quests.

I like Yahtzee's reviews, and I'll probably chuckle at the ME2 review, regardless of how much he hates the game, but I'm a bit frustrated with his double standard with ME? versus Dragon Age.

ShotgunSmoke

Apr 19, 2009
I'm not gonna lie, I almost broke into tears when I noticed the lack of "Mass", "Effect" and "2" in the title.

The review itself made me feel better, one of the best ones in a long time. Definitely agree about the story, the lack of it (or any kind of cutscenes) was disturbing.

Can't wait until the next Wednesday.

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
Heh, I love "the less clicks the better" frame.

Nice enough review and I think we all expected he'd say something along these lines when he eventually got do reviewing it - he never claimed any love for grinding or rpg's.

blademan30

Feb 10, 2010
I found this game incredibly boring as hell and i refuse to play online with other people so i wasted my money down the tube ><.

Random Wanderer

Apr 15, 2009
I don't disagree with any of the things Yahtzee complained about this time. Yet I still liked Borderlands. And I played exclusively single player. It's not the be all and end all of gaming, but I found it to be fun. And fun is what I want out of a game.

Lost In The Void said:
Greeat Episode, I was hoping you would tear this game a new one. I am looking forward to your Mass Effect 2 Review, because I actually care about that game and want to see your take on it.
Why on earth would you want him to review a game you actually care about? He's going to hate it for the same reasons he hated the original Mass Effect and any other Bioware RPG.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
I kind of agree. I mean, I got tired of the game not because of the gameplay, but because the God damn Claptrap kept telling me that there are level 10 quests for my level 29 character...

eels05

Jun 11, 2009
Not surprised really.
I really haven't seen a game with so little appeal,(for me),in a long time.
Now bring on the nagging for Dantes Inferno.

NamesAreHardToPick

Jan 7, 2010
300lb. Samoan said:
Look, there's tons of criticism to level against this game. It can't be denied, but as someone who's already sank nearly a hundred hours into this game, and at least as much time into Diablo 2 and Quake, the game is undeniably fun. It knows what audience it's going for and as the human bullseye of this target I can attest that no matter how many other games I play, no matter how many times I get tired of this game, I keep coming back. It's just that fun, and it's kinda refreshing how old-school it is.
It's a pretty simple game... shooting, fetching, getting new guns. That's not necessarily a bad thing. It's great if you just get the urge to boot up a game where you shoot dudes in the head for a while.

The graphics are distinctive and nice to look at.
The maps are really varied and busy despite their size with cute touches all over the place.
The NPCs are funny. Scooter (especially as you get into Dahl Headlands), Tannis, the Claptraps, etc.

As for multiplayer I've got one save for playing split-screen with my son and another for split-screen with a friend of mine. We only touch the files when we're playing together so levels and gear are always even. Absolutely the best way to go. Personally I don't mind single-player since I can stand around geeking out when a particular terrain feature calls for it.

The one thing that really bugs me is how ridiculously over-powering a couple of character levels can be. If you go into a quest and it's got someone above your level, you're dead by the time you notice the skull beside their health bar. On the other hand if you go back and do a low-level quest for fun because you missed it earlier, you're dropping everyone with a could of rounds from a submachinegun. I imagine this is also a huge barrier to having fun with random teammates, but haven't bothered trying to go online since I can't use a headset during my only free gaming time (the dead of night).

Xelanath

Jan 24, 2009
GameGoddess101 said:
I'm going to have to agree with Yahtzee here and just say that games that require four-player co-op for the "good stuff" is just lazy game design. Remember those days when you bought a game and the single player campaign had to stand up on it's own? Yeah, what the fuck happened to this!?!
So you would say the same of MMOs?

Borderlands was designed as a co-operative experience, that fact is by no means secret.
Expecting its single player to stand alone is like expecting the Blitzball in FFX to carry the whole game; it wasn't intended by the developers and isn't expected by people who know what the game is about.

Cogzwell

Jul 10, 2008
Well that wasn't going to be as bad as i thought.

I played Borderlands almost exclusively single-player and loved it, granted I am an mmo fan (kinda, i actually quit recently though) and all i have to say is "Big Numbers, Blood, and Loot." If you don't get a stiffy for random item generators will will not like this game period end.

And to the people who asked him to review this, shut the frak up! first of all stop being annoying and second of all i was glad because i was able to go a few months with ought having my bubble popped.

I played Borderlands for over 200 hours, and loved it. I haven't played it in a while but I might some more in the future.

nonl33t m4st3r

Oct 31, 2009
BlueInkAlchemist said:
ForgottenPr0digy said:
I'm surprised I thought this week might Army of two:40th day or Dante's Inferno or MAG???
Apparently, the amount of whining in his inbox finally reached critical mass.
Maybe with all the replies, rants, and nags, it'll collapse into a singularity.

On a side note, the picture of a guy in a hospital bed skydiving is one of the funniest things I've seen on ZP.

Rensenhito

Jan 28, 2009
I rather liked Borderlands, although it does take a certain amount of skill and organization to have fun with it. I have the advantage of being in college right now, and my roommate loves the game, so whenever I play it, I play it 2-player splitscreen, which is probably the very BEST way to play it. Your bit of screen isn't microscopic, and the difficulty is just high enough to keep things frenetic, but not unmanageable.
Now, I won't lie: the single player game is a grind fest. You do nothing but kill things, level up, repeat. But two-player keeps things varied enough to be interesting, and it's always good to have someone there to heal you when you get jumped by a Badass Corrosive Skag... again.