Zero Punctuation: Borderlands

Maibus

Aug 8, 2009
Kind of thought we would do what I did, compare it to Fallout 3, its like it was trying to be a funny version of Fallout 3 and in my opinion fell flat on its face breaking everything from forehead to chin, I mean this is about as Fallout 3 you can get without nuking anything, it even had giant mutant critters and raiders/bandits.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
Like Yahtzee I jumped into the multiplayer too early and found all the other players rushing through the missions. I had to play through once by myself just to get the idea of what was going on and have a chance to enjoy the little jokes. I played through another time with a friend who was willing to go at a more reasonable speed and it was pretty enjoyable if not repetitive. Finding different weapons is still pretty entertaining.
And I enjoyed his side statement about the next Final Fantasy, as much as I know he is unlikely to enjoy it you know people will want to know what he has to say to an e-mail box throttling extent.

oursoul

Feb 11, 2010
Yeah dolphins.. the less clicks the better! :D LOL

Oh and I didn't like the game either, to vague and sparse and repetitive.

keinsignal

Oct 22, 2007
Hobo Joe said:
Very funny video; while I agree with all the complaints he made they never stopped Borderlands from being fun for me.
Yeah, that's the thing about the game - it's an endless grind, the interface is terrible, and the game is generally plagued with technical problems. On the other hand there's some really great setpiece battles (Rakk Hive is worth sticking around for), and between the atmosphere and the occasional Really Cool Gun find, it's somehow addictive in spite of the fact you're mostly doing the same stuff over and over again. The "zombie island" DLC's not bad either.

Erdie

Jan 8, 2009
I heard a ton of comparisons to Diablo 2, but no. Not even close. Diablo 2 had extremely active games/lobbies, tons of trading, 8 players per game, the ability to use a completely unique skill-set-- it was exceptional. This is an archaic shooter with numbers. Since it's largely non-linear, the areas tended to be open and bland. I had high hopes for this one, but it was just too boring. I did finish it, but I won't be starting a new character class since they're all pretty much the same.

Demasu

Dec 18, 2008
I'm thinking I'm retarded because I can't watch the review. I press play and get a 5:25 minute long video about shows on the Escapist. What am I doing wrong besides everything?

Hutchy_Bear

May 12, 2009
deus-ex-machina said:
Review made me laugh as per usual.

But can I ask why so many people were suspended or put on probation at the start of the thread? This is the second week in a row I've noticed it. Just curious. Sorry, I probably should read the entire thread, but it just feels like it would be painful.
Generally anyone who posts in between 5.00 and 5.05 have not had the time to watch the video before they have made their comment. This is a discussion about Yahtzees review, you can't comment on it without watching it first therefore those posts are generally spam/undisirable. But it happens every week without fail so meh.

On topic: I liked Borderlands but I have yet to play it single player, always had a mate round to play it with so I probably agree with what he said.

Amberella

Super Sailor Moon
Jan 23, 2010
Honestly, I couldn't really get into this game while trying it on single player. Just didn't do it for me.

D0MIN8R

Feb 11, 2010
Erdie said:
I heard a ton of comparisons to Diablo 2, but no. Not even close.
cool story bra, but realy it is similar to diablo. start game, talk to people who are in distress, get training quests, run to quest area, kill shit, run back and cliam a small item to make your life a little easier. go thoguth the whole game repeating same process as things get harder, then kill massive final boss and be left standing woundering what to do next. . . START ALL OVER AGAIN but this time IT WILL BE HARDER.

pick up a bazillion useless weapons, sell them or trade with yo mates.

get exp and be awarded skill points, do up 1 of 3 skill trees or put a little in all of them.
so as u can see it is not "not even close". saying that, they are completely diffrent games they just have close similarities, which is good i loved diablo for thoes reasons and now i can shoot stuff YAY.

excellent review made me laugh even though i love this game, i had been waiting for a while to watch this.

EDIT: Yahtzee should get paid more

Lazarus Long

Nov 20, 2008
I've always loved Yahtzee. After seeing Mr. Hoppy in a ZP, however, he is my new God.

More on topic: I thought it was more like Diablo than a mummorperger. Though that may be because I've never played any of the latter.

Back off topic: MR. HOPPY!!!

Abortedjesus

Jan 22, 2010
When I saw previews for this game I had hoped it would be another Fallout 3. You know a multi layered gaming experience that you want to play, and replay, and replay again, because there are many ways to take care of things. Instead, you have a gun, the end. Still is fun, but only as a time waster.

Nice Review by the way.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
Reading through these posts, I'm compelled to point out that there isn't that much hate bile floating around... compared to what I've seen in previous comment-threads of highly requested games that Yahtzee has slammed. Most dissenters even said that he was spot on but they didn't stop them from enjoying the game.

But there was a fair amount of people who think that Yahtzee bashed the game only because so many people got on his tits calling for the review. To those people: I direct you to watch the Call of Duty 4 review found on page six in the ZP archives (I looked it up). In it he spat fire and brimstone at his fans, but liked the game and gave it a pretty favorable slap-across-the-face (I didn't want to say "review" over and over).

Over-all I'd have to say that I think most people demanded him to play Bardarlunds because they knew he was going to lay waste. I like grinding, unless there's no overall end goal, and Birdracans certainly had a goal worth grinding towards. Too bad there was no point in grinding as this wasn't really any kind of an rpg.

Finally...
---

It's weird seeing people every week say that they're glad Yahtzee is finally back in form. How exactly did he used to be and how has that differed from any other review this month?

I'm thinking that people have forgotton what playing Diablo was like... so I'd recommend that people go play it again just to make sure that Broderbands was indeed like Diablo.

The reason why Yahtzee reviewing this game, from want of his fans, is bad is because now he's going to get twice as many demands to review other games... games that people are going to want him to praise.

And finally of the finally, I wouldn't mind if he skipped out on reviewing Mass Effect 2 unless he's going to pull a premature GOTY review from the same universe he picked up his copy of Duke Nukem Forever. The over-all census is: "We're sure he's going to hate it, and we pretty much know why."

pughua

Jan 31, 2010
ForgottenPr0digy said:
I'm surprised I thought this week might Army of two:40th day or Dante's Inferno or MAG???
MAG? A guy who hates and refuses to play online multiplayer for a 4 player co op game and you think he's going to review an online only competitive mp game?

VaporFox

Feb 4, 2010
pughua said:
ForgottenPr0digy said:
I'm surprised I thought this week might Army of two:40th day or Dante's Inferno or MAG???
MAG? A guy who hates and refuses to play online multiplayer for a 4 player co op game and you think he's going to review an online only competitive mp game?
Yeah, and why would he waste his time reviewing Army of Two: The 40th Day? He already thoroughly trashed the first game (and rightfully so), and from what I've read in reviews, the sequel is just more of the same. Don't need to eat a turd sandwich twice to know I'm going to hate the taste.

Tom4Tom

Feb 3, 2010
just cause huh? ive seen it get good reviews... course i cant really rely on reviews anymore ever since halo 3 got like a standing ovation.... (until u beat the campaign in a time-span of like 3 hours)