Zero Punctuation: Brink

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Better not put away the bottle just yet, lads. I'm willing to bet you a penny to a pound we'll see TF2 *takes a swig of Captain Morgan* mentioned quite a bit in the Extra Punctuation as well.

BTW...if he DOES do Witcher 2 in his next review, I'm hoping to see another "THIS IS A MMORPGER" comment from him. Actually, I'm kind of expecting it.

Speaking of drunk...why is the Captcha always showing one word as if it were doubled over as if the program making it was drunk? Maybe it was "struck teletto" like my current Captcha was.

Puzzlenaut

Mar 11, 2011
When he says "use button" what he actually means is penis. Think about it.
Also, I fundamentally disagree with what he said about Mirror's Edge -- if there is one thing that game taught us its that parkour from the 1st is definitely how it should be done if your game is going to be largely based around it. Compare the parkour of Mirror's Edge to Assassin's Creed. AC is much easier, but its nowhere NEAR as exhilerating, fun or breathtaking as Mirror's Edge's and that is almost entirely because of the perspective.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Was it me or was this game all over the place before it came out? I remember seeing it's name everywhere in little places and in escapist articles. maybe that's just me. Anyways I'm not really a fan on the idea of buying a game just for the multiplayer doesn't seem very fun when you only have a finite amount of places to play in and of course fun is Dependant on the community.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Was it me or was this game all over the place before it came out? I remember seeing it's name everywhere in little places and in escapist articles. maybe that's just me. Anyways I'm not really a fan on the idea of buying a game just for the multiplayer doesn't seem very fun when you only have a finite amount of places to play in and of course fun is Dependant on the community.

Atheist.

Overmind
Sep 12, 2008
Tonimata said:
5 Shots? Come on Yahtzee, you could've done much worse! I actually paused to go get a bottle of whisky, mainly because I don't feel like working this afternoon and need an excuse.
Yeah, I prefer the take a shot every time Jack Bauer says "Damn it." Usually feeling pretty good by the end of an episode.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Brink is much more like Enemy Territory than TF2. Although it's not an entirely out of place comparison, I found Brink to be much more like RTCW.

Kwil said:
I tend to agree with everything Yahtzee said here.. including that he didn't "get" it.

I mean, one of the things he didn't get is that it's not really a class based shooter. In TF2, your class is everything. It's how you approach the game, it's how your enemies deal with you, etc. In Brink, your class is just a specialization. Your enemies don't deal with you any differently if you're a medic than if you're a soldier because you've got most of the same abilities regardless.

And that works in reverse as well. Whether you're a medic or a soldier, you have the same basic abilities to deal with threats. Where your class starts to matter is when you start to get really good. Then those minor differences between classes (soldiers with more grenades, medics with self-revive) start to make a difference. Actually, it's kind of like dealing with the differences in a specific class in TF2 now. Does that pyro have a backburner or a regular flamethrower? Bow and arrow, or sniper rifle? That's the kind of difference that the "class" of Brink makes.

But the real "classes" like TF2 have are in the body types, heavy, light, and medium. And like in TF2, those are instantly distinctive. You know if you see a heavy, he's probably going to have a gun that will tear you apart, so you need to definitely stay out of his line of fire. You also know if you see a light, he'll probably go down quick.. if you can manage to draw a bead on him.
Agreed. I always thought the bodytypes have the most profound effect on gameplay, and each bodytype effects how each class can be played as well. Although ultimately, each classes most important purpose is interacting with the objective, they do start to become quite distinct from each other once you unlock abilities that they play quite differently from each other.

I do like the game, even though I do agree with almost everything yahtzee said. I hope once they patch up all of the technical issues and release some content, the game will get a lot stronger. It definitely has potential.

Ravnican

Jul 19, 2010
On a scale from one to ten I'm sooooo drunk.

OT: I believe Brink would have been a good game had they given the developers more time to finish it.

TheBoulder

Nov 11, 2009
lol, I love the amount of people who say they don't 'get' this game, despite the fact we're the hipsters of the gaming world and criticize those who don't like indie or 'artistic' games and 'get' everything.
Anyway, I much prefer Brink to TF2 because of the customization, parkour and weapons that are actually good.

AlohaJo

Nov 3, 2010
I think it's sad to say that I enjoyed the drinking game in this episode more than Brink. Alas, I am now out of booze.

Gormers1

Apr 9, 2008
I agree that the game seems to have very little value for the full price you pay for it (from what Ive seen of it), I just wish that yahtzee didnt have such a bad experience with first person platforming as I absolutely loved the controls and gameplay of Mirrors Edge.

SFR

Mar 26, 2009
I'm sorry, but if you think that platforming doesn't work in first person, you just aren't use to platformers. I found the first person view very engrossing for Mirror's Edge and can't believe it took this long for someone to try it. Frankly, in some instances I find understanding my position relative to the world much easier (for obvious reasons). I definitely don't think developers should stop trying out the perspective, and from Yatzee's review of Mirror's Edge in the past, it's safer to assume he just sucked at the game. Now, as for Brink and it's "parkour" style running, I think it's pretty cool, but I don't like how it's compared to Mirror's Edge. Mirror's Edge requires timed button presses and combinations thereof. Brink's is more like Assassin's Creed. I'd really like to play an FPS that uses Mirror's Edge controls and mechanics, including hanging from ledges and climbing up polls. Plus the melee combat. That'd be one sweet online shooter.

Also, he and other's sure do rip on hats a lot. I will agree, there are a TON of them, but they do let the player differentiate themselves between others of the same class. Now if Valve would give back the team colored stripe for the tossle... Even with the hats though, the silhouettes are still easily identifiable. I like character customization, but if in Brink you can't tell between a medic and a soldier, that's a bad thing.

SickBritKid

Jan 11, 2011
Um, Yahtzee, no disrespect but, don't "Lefty troublemakers" SUPPORT inefficient union workers that you criticized in your Minecraft review?

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
Undead Dragon King said:
Listening to the choices that Bethesda made for Brink, especially when compared to Team Fortress 2, really makes me wonder just how much ACTUAL playtesting and QA went into making this game. Every design decision seems to be counter-intuitive to making an effective class-based multiplayer shooter.
Bethesda is becoming quite well known for their lack of QA.

Fallout 3, New Vegas and Oblivion were all littered with bugs. New Vegas didn't seem too bad but that was mostly handled by Obsidian.

Fluffis

Dec 14, 2010
Time to start a new meme? Any time you write Team Fortress 2 or TF2, you have to add "(take a shot)".

Brilliant stuff, as always Yahtzee!

Valthek

Aug 25, 2008
this is the first Zero Punctuation in a while now that actually made me laugh out loud rather than just smile!

props to you, mr yathzee!