Zero Punctuation: Brink

Yaoiblossom

Apr 27, 2011
My brother plays Brink and I've watched him. When I saw it, I immediately confirmed that he IS easy to impress, when it comes to any FPS game he can get his hands on. I laughed so hard watching this, and it confirmed everything I thought about this game, and I thought very low of Brink. Great review, as always.

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
ProfessorLayton said:
... wasn't there a single player mode as well? Because if there was, then Yahtzee just broke his own rule of not judging a game by multiplayer alone...

EDIT: Ok, you can stop quoting me now, I know he brought it up for less than a sentence. But there was an Extra Punctuation a while ago where he talked about multiplayer except I can't find it. Give me a minute...

EDIT 2: In an Extra Punctuation, he mentioned playing mostly multiplayer games single player because multiplayer isn't his thing. Yet in this review, the only time he even mentioned single player was once and that was hardly a sentence. Even if it was just multiplayer with bots, Borderlands was almost entirely a multiplayer game, yet he barely gave it a try. Surely you see what I'm trying to say here, yes?
No I don't. Brink has all the single player of Unreal Tournament, and Yahtzee has already denoted that a step backward in gaming because that's the exact same FPS miasma Half-Life saved us from in the first place.

Now what you CAN call him out on is why Brink gets slammed while TF2 gets a pass. Of course, TF2 has easily distinguishable silhouettes and no first-person parkour, so it's still better, but at least that's a starting point.

Mar 2, 2011
I'm suddenly in the mood for a game of TF2... and I would go and play it if it weren't for my ISP deciding that they were going to universally slow my ADSL 2+ and that packet loss isn't really a big deal...

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
ranyilliams said:
This was a good review. I saw my brother playing this and was pretty blown away by how cool it looked :p
Yeah, because that's what the review said.

Brawndo

Jun 29, 2010
The liver taking a shot got me good lol

Malacite said:
Didn't anyone ever tell Yahtzee you shouldn't mix brown & pink? >;3
:O

I see what you did there... AND I LIKE IT

DustStorm

Oct 30, 2008
Wait a minute, Yahtzee mentioned playing lots of TF2. I thought multiplayer wasn't his thing.

Zsazal

Sep 12, 2008
Bought it, hate it. Trading in for anything else. Because anything else would be better.

endplanets

Mar 18, 2011
Jesus crap why do people keep stupidly comparing Brink to TF2, that is not a valid comparison. Yes they have a class based system, but that is like saying that GTA is Halo because they have guns or that Starcraft is chess because you control units. Is the market really so devoid of class based shooters that TF2 is the only one that comes to mind. In TF2 (in the beginning at least) you made one choice and it would give you a character with a purpose, damage/health output, appearance and weapons. But in Brink you make many choices with purpose (class), damage/health output (weapon weight and body type), appearance (customized look) and weapons (gun itself) AND variable perks.
In TF2 your class choice is everything but in Brink your class is just one of many decisions.

You know what Brink's class system should be compared to: Battle Field 2142, Alien Swarm, the original Tribes, and of course other games by this developer that came out WAY WAY before TF2 like bloody Castle Wolfenstein and Quake Wars. This class based system in Brink is the same system that they have been using for over a decade.

The tones of the games are different, the weapon systems are different (in Brink there are a lot of "direct" weapons like assault rifles while TF2 has asymmetric weapons like sticky launcher), the objectives in the game are different and Brink has grenades.

Why do people keep comparing Brink to TF2, is it because the graphics are slightly "goofy" in a way slightly and unintentionally similar to TF2?

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
This review sure was a class act. Now I'm getting me some tea, eff yeah!

OT: I was scared away from this game by the reviews to be honest. Multiplayer focused games honestly aren't for me, Borderlands taught me that the hard way.

TheUnbeholden

Dec 13, 2007
endplanets said:
Jesus crap why do people keep stupidly comparing Brink to TF2, that is not a valid comparison. Yes they have a class based system, but that is like saying that GTA is Halo because they have guns or that Starcraft is chess because you control units. Is the market really so devoid of class based shooters that TF2 is the only one that comes to mind. In TF2 (in the beginning at least) you made one choice and it would give you a character with a purpose, damage/health output, appearance and weapons. But in Brink you make many choices with purpose (class), damage/health output (weapon weight and body type), appearance (customized look) and weapons (gun itself) AND variable perks.
In TF2 your class choice is everything but in Brink your class is just one of many decisions.

You know what Brink's class system should be compared to: Battle Field 2142, Alien Swarm, the original Tribes, and of course other games by this developer that came out WAY WAY before TF2 like bloody Castle Wolfenstein and Quake Wars. This class based system in Brink is the same system that they have been using for over a decade.

The tones of the games are different, the weapon systems are different (in Brink there are a lot of "direct" weapons like assault rifles while TF2 has asymmetric weapons like sticky launcher), the objectives in the game are different and Brink has grenades.

Why do people keep comparing Brink to TF2, is it because the graphics are slightly "goofy" in a way slightly and unintentionally similar to TF2?
They are comparing the 2 because TF2 is a class based game, and so is Brink. TF2 is very popular and a really good class based game so games that are similar are inevitably compared to it.
And where saying (and yahtzee is saying) that Brink is doing it wrong, its a step back that this industry cannot afford to be doing lest it lead to stagnation.
Lack of maps\game modes and technical difficulties of the game is another tell tale sign of stagnation.

In this instance it essentially comes to down to a tried and true saying "keep it simple".

Not sure what you mean by the way the game looks... the game has another thing in common with TF2 and that's the level of customization of your appearance. Brink is also compared to Mirrors Edge due to the parkour.

SiskoBlue

Monk
Aug 11, 2010
Hang on... TF2 on The Orange Box was virtually unplayable when it was released. My PC couldn't handle it for some reason so I never got to play TF2. When I tried it a year afterwards, hearing that the problems had been fixed I couldn't get a break. Everybody was super experienced and knew what they were doing. I felt either in the way, or completely lost about what I was supposed to be doing.

Along comes Brink and I can get in on the bottom rung. TF2 might be better but if I can't even get started in it how's that better for me?

Lenso

May 17, 2011
nice review, but i thought Yahtzee would also say something about the story ... cause: y do the security guys want the other guys not to leave :)

oh and team fortress drinking is awesome :)

drunken_munki

Nov 14, 2007
endplanets said:

What I don't understand is why it bothers you so much?
TF2 earned its name. It is the GO-to game when to consider team and class based FPS gameplay. I suppose you could say WoW is the same for mmorpgs. Etc, etc.

At the end of the day, Brink uses a similar model, down to the same types of classes. I do not think it is an insult to start comparing it to TF2. Especially when they are both so very similar. The most striking thing is, yes they added plenty of other stuff that TF2 doesn't. However, they seemed to forget the basics of what made team based FPS game work, which for me is a massive LOL. They didn't show that in their high-res stylish advertisements did they?

P.S. adverts mean SFA... even more so when they show no in game footage. I believe the term all flash and no substance creeps in here.

SiskoBlue

Monk
Aug 11, 2010
JustaGigolo said:
SiskoBlue said:
Hang on... TF2 on The Orange Box was virtually unplayable when it was released. My PC couldn't handle it for some reason so I never got to play TF2. When I tried it a year afterwards, hearing that the problems had been fixed I couldn't get a break. Everybody was super experienced and knew what they were doing. I felt either in the way, or completely lost about what I was supposed to be doing.

Along comes Brink and I can get in on the bottom rung. TF2 might be better but if I can't even get started in it how's that better for me?
The new coaching system in TF2 should make it easier for you to get into TF2.
That's good to know but that's the problem I have with TF2. It was months after it was "fixed" that I heard it was fixed. And I'm pretty sure this coaching system has been around for a while but where's the marketing? Unless I randomly put TF2 back in I wouldn't know any of this. I'll have to give TF2 a try now as I really liked Brink although it needed more legs and definitely could have done with a stronger class distinction, but still a really good original IP I thought.

Da_Vane

Dec 31, 2007
CrystalShadow said:
But the 'staring at a blank screen to unlock the start button' bit reminded me of a couple of flash games that purposely messed with things like that.

The most relevant being:
http://armorgames.com/play/3955/upgrade-complete
Five pages before someone linked to Upgrade Complete? Ouch, that's harsh... there's a sequel you know...

theshadowcult

Dec 1, 2009
The oddest thing about brink though, is why they charged money for it when there is an exact copy of the game (more or less) for free... Check out Parabellum.

SensibleCrout

Feb 23, 2010
Very good episode. I find the animations did make a noticable step forward in the last few episodes. Text is funny and to the point as usual.