Zero Punctuation: Burnout: Paradise

Conqueror Kenny

Jan 14, 2008
Ambition said:
The UK now hates you, I think.
well that is a very general view. We are a diverse people and all free to our own opinion im sures some people don't like him but im sure sume do.
Anyway good review you hit all the right notes with the bad points and the good points (none).

DarkElfa

Dec 26, 2007
HA! Breaks Flow! Dammit Yahtzee, I was taking a drink when you said that and I sqirted it all over my monitor.

Mazman

Oct 11, 2007
I count 3 songs that have been in both a Burnout and Guitar Hero game:

Stop - Jane's Addiction
I Wanna Rock - Twisted Sister
Helicopter - Bloc Party

What do I win?

blackfly01

Dec 5, 2007
YESS!!!! Excellent review, Yahtzee! You pretty much summarized the entire series in one game! Keep up the perfect work and keep letting the hatred flow!

myopiczeal

Jan 24, 2008
And a sideways-baseball-cap-wearing transcript:

People often ask me, "Yahtzee, you Herculean exemplar, you have so much to say about what makes a bad game, but what is your measure of a good game?" Well, actually, no one's ever asked me that; mostly they ask retarded questions like, "When am I going to review 20-year-old Nintendo games," like everyone and their dog, but it's the kind of question I'd like to be asked, so I'm going to answer it. One of my measures of a good game is one that teaches me something. Burnout: Paradise, for example, teaches me that if Princess Diana honestly couldn't survive a trivial little crash like that, then the girl must have been made out of wafers.

If there's one thing that makes me squirt liquid hate from every bodily orifice, it's street racers. Bunch of smirking, sideways-baseball-cap-wearing fuckscoffs, bobbing their heads in time with their hydraulics, and extending random fingers like they're about to intrude upon somebody's pubic region. As a street racing game, Burnout: Paradise earns points right from the start for not featuring any of those gropecunts or, indeed, any human beings at all. The game takes place in a strange post-apocalyptic future, where advanced sat-nav systems have resulted in a race of murderous sentient cars, and the only surviving human being is an insane DJ calling himself Atomica, who spends his nights running around setting up ramps everywhere, and his days holed up in a radio station trying to talk the cars into destroying themselves, so that he might one day reclaim society. That's the only explanation I can think of for the total absence of pedestrians, and why you never see any poorly-strapped-in children go hurtling through windscreens during one of the many, many, many high-speed crashes.

Burnout is a game that hates players with a passion. If it were a fascist dictator, it would build concentration camps for players, and what's more, he'd lay every brick personally with cement mixed from his own blood. That's how much he hates you. Every aspect of the gameplay is geared to ensure that you crash as often and as viscerally as possible. The streets twist and turn unexpectedly, the main camera angle has the back end of your car taking up most of your view like a mongoloid hippo, and the streets are densely populated with pupils of the local driving school for elderly sufferers of Alzheimer's disease. And when you do inevitably crash, Burnout's gloating satisfaction hangs thick in the air; slow-motion sets in, the color washes out, and the action switches to the optimal camera angle to watch yourself pirouette through the air, as if to say, "Hey, everyone, come and see Captain Crashesalot!" I do admit, however, that flying 500 yards upside down, while raining metallic-painted scrap metal is, to coin a phrase, Totally Fucking Sweet, at least when you're not in a hurry to get somewhere. Unfortunately, this being a racing game, you generally are in a hurry to get somewhere, and there's nothing that causes more autocannibalistic frustration than colliding with a bollard at full speed ten yards from the finish line, and having to watch yourself spinning on your roof for a few seconds while your opponents snatch first, second, and third place from under your mangled nose.

Burnout: Paradise's unique selling point is that it's an open world game, one of those games usually pitched with a sentence beginning, "Like Grand Theft Auto, but..." In this case, "Like Grand Theft Auto, but a hell of a lot more broken." The idea is that you can drive freely about the city as much as you like, and when you start a race, all you're given is a finishing point, allowing you to choose your own route. Fine in theory, but theories are treacherous things that can at any moment disintegrate like a biscuit raft. And the major flaw with this one is that you have to keep looking at your mini-map to make sure you're on the right course. My driving instructor used to give me enough stick for taking my eyes off the road at 30 miles an hour, and here's you hurtling through the streets at Mach 10, with any number of crash hazards closing in on your distracted arse.

My point is that the reason why racing games traditionally feature closed-circuit tracks is that the fun in a street racing game comes from driving really fast and breaking things. That's a winning formula, then you throw map-reading skills into it, and it's the metaphorical shot of Bailey's, overpowering all the other flavours. I keep having to pause the game in the middle of high-speed chases to bring up the map, which, like a menstruating woman falling off a tall building, breaks flow. An open world racing game could work; Carmageddon did something like that, and it was pretty fun, in a late 90's kind of way. Maybe that's because there were lots of old ladies around to help relieve the frustrations, or perhaps because it didn't take control from you every shit-gargling time you ran into a wall, to let the physics programmer dance on your grave for 20 interruptive seconds.

There are more things I can get pissy about, like the lack of local multiplayer, or how the single-player gameplay basically involves grinding the same races about 100 shitting times, but you have to judge Paradise by different standards. This isn't a game intended to be played all weekend; this is a game that you play for maybe an hour or so, to psych yourself up for playing a killer rock guitar solo, or punching out an angry bear. Yes, this is a game for cool people who like fast cars, and don't have time to play games because of all the sex they have. And if all you can do is sit there gabbing off about the design and game flow, then you've probably missed the smirking, sideways-baseball-cap-wearing point.

Xen Monkey

Dec 13, 2007
Khell_Sennet said:
YAY, Carmageddon!

Double-YAY, someone else who thinks Burnout Paradise Sucks!

Triple- YAY, hatred towards street racing punk fucktards.
Quadruple Yay, The Levellers

:)

dannyodwyer

Dec 3, 2007
Hilarious throughout, but dont take offense if i say a lot of it seemed to reflect your lack of ability to play driving games. I never use the minimap. After 4+ hours gaming time you should have a decent grasp of the city layout.

Besides, for a guy who gives out about lack of innovation frequently, you seems to dislike burnout for being to much against the grain. Different strokes i suppose.

TinkVengeance

Mar 12, 2008
i love yahtzee so much...never miss any...and i just LOVE the fact that he used the devotchkas at the end of this one!!

TheSKSpecial

Mar 7, 2008
myopiczeal said:
This isn't a game intended to be played all weekend; this is a game that you play for maybe an hour or so, to psych yourself up for playing a killer rock guitar solo, or punching out an angry bear.
Yahtzee you capriciously clever card! You made me spit out my drink!

the_carrot

Nov 8, 2007
I watched the review even though I haven't played, nor am I particularly interested in racing games. But I have seen games geared toward the the wealthy's indulgences, and not being one, they haven't really held my attention. It's dissapointing that those things exist, but at least we have confirmed it's going on. Maybe I wouldn't have such a positive attitude had I been playing, the droll and numb makes for boring companions.

Baliame

Jan 22, 2008
On a sidenote, "Heavenly Sword and Other Stuff" got pushed to page 3 which is currently inaccessible.

gains

Jan 8, 2008
I only remember "I Wanna Be Sedated" by the Ramones from Guitar Hero and Burnout Takedown. That's because I turned off ALL of the new punk garbage on the Burnout radio station! Every race it was Ramones, start to finish.

Baker86

Mar 12, 2008
The only good thing about ANY of the burnout games was...the wrecks.And i also hate, how shall i say it..."Street racers. Bunch of smirking, sideways-baseball-cap-wearing fuckscoffs, bobbing their heads in time with their hydraulics, and extending random fingers like they're about to intrude upon somebody's pubic region."

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Mazman said:
I count 3 songs that have been in both a Burnout and Guitar Hero game:

Stop - Jane's Addiction
I Wanna Rock - Twisted Sister
Helicopter - Bloc Party

What do I win?
Nothing. You missed, at the very least, Beast and the Harlot, by Avenged Sevenfold. (GH2 and Burnout Revenge)

thetenet

Mar 12, 2008
I like the justification for the lack of any human, but the sad truth is they were trying to avoid an M rating. I hate when ratings get in the way of games, I want to hit people in the serial murder kind of way. Anyway great review.

justdan

Jan 28, 2008
Heh. Wild card. All bases covered.
Great review.

Now I won't buy the game, though. I don't get any^H^H^Henough sex.

Poisoned Al

Feb 16, 2008
Yeah having to look at the map at first is annoying and you can't trust the sat-nav system thing becuase IT'S FULL OF LIES (it gives the shortest route, never the quickest), but after awhile you learn the city and you won't need it (much). Play online a bit and follow the leaders and you quickly find the right roads and their shortcuts. However the other gripes are spot on. It's awesome at first to see your car disintegrate after a crash, but after the fifty thousandth time it gets old.