Zero Punctuation: Burnout: Paradise

Lordgrunty

Mar 12, 2008
great job Yahtzee! for the last few reviews I thought you were losing your touch but this one proved me wrong. The way you made the D.J. look was hilarious.

SomeCrazyGuy

Jan 8, 2008
Note #1: Great review this week, thoroughly enjoyed it.
Note #2: Wait... No lemmings first-posting to their very demise this week? Double-ewe tee ehf?

Surggical_Scar

Feb 13, 2008
First racing game review, and a good 'un at that.

I also have to agree - Paradise does always seem two nanoseconds away from mocking you relentlessly at any moment, but therin lies the challenge/frustration.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
There was also Epic by Faith No More, although that falls under Rock Band instead of GH.

I will say the soundtrack for Paradise was overall more tolerable then the previous Burnout games, mainly due to including a much higher percentage of non-indie punk crap.

I've found the best way to play is to have someone else watch the minimap for you to tell you where the turns are. And to get the DEATH VAN OF DEATH, which lets you demolish all same-direction traffic without crashing.

There is a Formula 1 racer in the game you can get that has a person in a helmet. Or a robot in a helmet. That's the closest I've seen to an actual person.

koajoe

Jan 16, 2008
myopiczeal said:
And a sideways-baseball-cap-wearing transcript:

Do you have the transcript for Manhunt? I cannot erk out some of the things he is saying in there, but they sound hillarious.

"Courtesy of Rock Star North, best know for Whirl of igky irresponsibility: Grand Theft Auto" is a line I am unsure what he actually says.

Is there somewhere he posts the transcripts?

Oh, and keep up the good work Yahtzee.

Hitman_Spike

Mar 12, 2008
Yahtzee,

I loved the joke about the driving instructor.

"My driving instructor gave me enough stick for taking my eyes off the road at 30 mph, and here's you hurlding through the streets at Mach 10 with any number of crash hazards closing in on your distracted ass."

Priceless. Keep the cynisism coming and that headset mic on.

koajoe

Jan 16, 2008
Baliame said:
On a sidenote, "Heavenly Sword and Other Stuff" got pushed to page 3 which is currently inaccessible.
Booo!!! That review is my all-time favorite. Please fix.

DontHate

Mar 2, 2008
very nice, and i also agree!
Ah... the only bad thing is we have to wait another week for more :(

zombielifecoach

Feb 21, 2008
Laugh out Loud or LOL! Mongoloid Hippos! Slapping around bears! Another solid review. Well done sir, as always.

Tumbler360

Nov 28, 2007
Meh, good review I guess, just not a very interesting game to me in general.

Very interested in what you'd have to say on Army of Two, Bully, and Frontlines. See you next week.

Hatchet

Mar 12, 2008
This one made me laugh as hard as when I first discovered Zero Punctuation. I rate this one about a 4 because thats how many times I had to rewind the video because I was laughing so much.

whileTrue

Mar 12, 2008
Nice review, and fully agreed to it being a 'play-for-an-hour-then-put-it-away!!' shallow type of game.

I must say I really like the easy means of engaging into an event and the freedom involved in choosing your route. True, map reading is very distractive, especially at those insane speeds (actually, I think the driver's seat is taken up with nitro as well, explaining the lack of humanoids); however, if I'm not mistaken I heard Atomic talk about getting to know the environment, and evolve on choosing routes. This can actually serve as a great challenge and a significant goal of the game.. but then again, familiarizing with the environment at those speeds is going to take ages!! In any case, those TINY flashing street signs at the top are far from ideal, so this is something for the dev team to evolve on themselves.

Talking about the dev team brings me to my final remark. My guess at the constant bloat of slowmo's is that it is - in combination with a big seemless environment - simply too computationally involved to simulate the crash in real-time. While this is fairly speculative, it could account for the lack of a simple "turn off slowmo" option similar to the action cam in the Need For Speed series.

Cheers

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
People are actually trying to think of all the songs?

Yahtzee release your thralls!

Good review. I was planning on getting this game but might rent it instead.
Generally, mini maps piss me off.