Zero Punctuation: Capcom Five

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Groverfield said:
I don't remember PN03 being that bad... a bit easy sure, and definitely wouldn't fly in today's market unless it had an oversensitive director who insulted anyone who didn't like the game.
I think it would do quite well today.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
rembrandtqeinstein said:
The best version of RE4 was still on the Wii. Aiming with the wiimote is just so damn natural compared to the massive awkwardness that is thumbstick controlled crosshairs
For me the PC version was the best one, aiming with the mouse felt very natural.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
[
LordTerminal said:
Three videos. Three damn videos now he's mentioned Federation Force. Try to tell me he's not pandering to the haters now. In fact this whole video reeks of anti-Nintendo propaganda because he got so much wrong!

1) The Gamecube was hurting in sales because the PS2 had online and the gimmick of a built-in DVD player, two things the Gamecube lacked. If developers were really bitching over the discs, then congrats 3rd Parties, you've proven my point that you have too much freedom and will screw over companies based on essentially nothing.

2) P.N.03 was only reviewed terribly and we all know now not to trust the reviewing media. Yahtzee included.

3) For something called the Capcom 5, it seems Yahtzee spent more time insulting Nintendo. Yeah we're not gonna acknowledge how modern Capcom performed so many heinous acts in the business in recent years and how it crippled them to the point where only Street Fighter, Resident Evil and Dead Rising are the only franchises that they give attention to these days? (Where's my Darkstalkers 4?!)

4) Okay now you're making things up because Brawl not having Mega Man had nothing to do with that. There just wasn't time to implement him. Anyone who believes that rumor needs to take the damn tin foil hat off.

5) Exclusivity is not anti-consumerism. This is PC elitism horse crap if I ever heard it! What is the point of getting a console if you don't have exclusives that you offer that others don't in addition to the 3rd Party stuff? If anything, the mentality of the market today needs to die and we need to go back to what made the 16-bit era great instead.

There's no way around it. This is anti-Nintendo propaganda. If I wanted that, I'd go read the garbage Sean Malstrom spews on that cesspool of a blog of his. Yahtzee is not fit to review Nintendo products anymore. He only cares about Nintendo products that cater to his elitist auteur views and considers the company a virus otherwise. Hence he gets labeled biased. No Yahtzee, you are the virus here.
You sound like you're new to Yahtzee, being overly negative is kind of his shtick, if you don't like it, go watch something else. Also Federation Force sucked ass, it was so bad I couldn't even finish it.

Exclusivity is anti-consumer, even as someone who prefers playing on consoles over PCs I think it's ridiculous.

Nintendo fanboys like you are not helping at all, Nintendo has made so many stupid decisions over the past few years it's mind-boggling. The fact that we still don't know what the NX looks like or how it plays despite it only being five months away is a very bad sign, that's unheard of for a major console.

The 16-bit era is not the golden age people think it is(and i'm saying this as someone who's first console was a Genesis) there were a lot of bad things about it, and the last thing we need is to regress back to that mentality.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Transdude1996 said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Ironically the Gamecube is one of my favorite consoles.
I used to think the same until I got a Dreamcast.

Speaking of which, I think that's the console that started Capcom's weariness of exclusivity meanwhile the Gamecube was the one that cemented it in. After porting over Dino Crisis, RE2 & 3, and a few of their fighting titles, the Dreamcast became Capcom's home for the next two years with hits like their Capcom VS. series and RE: Code Veronica. And, then to have the console die on them seems to have left a very deep wound that they still very much remember.

By the way, there are two other things I want to mention. One, it's come out that RE7 is PSVR exclusive only for the first year, so "Ha-ha Sony" to put it one way. And, two, the NES images Yahtzee used are images of the NES Mini.
Not sure what you're talking about with RE7, it's not PSVR exclusive, it comes out on all consoles on the same day. Unless you're referring to the game potentially coming out on PC for the Rift and the Vive.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
LordTerminal said:
Transdude1996 said:
LordTerminal said:
Couples things here: One, the GC failed because NoJ couldn't realize that Nintendo, as a company, wasn't the head of the game industry anymore.

Two, Darkstalkers is just a reskin of Street Fighter.

Three, what about the recent talks of DMC5, the recently releases of Monster Hunter, Ace Attorney, and Strider, and the development of Deep Down?

Four, if they were planning to include him, why is there no random file on the Brawl disc for Mega Man like there is for Mewtwo, Dr. Mario, Dixie Kong, or Toon Sheik(?), or even any talk of possibly including him like there was with Pac-Man?
One, wrong.

Two, Also wrong.

Three, Oh yeah, real good logic you have there: if it's not a leftover in the game's code, that immediately proves a bullshit rumor about them not including him out of spite.

Take the tin foil hat off and live in the real world.

crimsonshrouds said:
That goes double for you buddy. I'm not white knighting anyone. I'm using common sense.
Yes you are blindly defending Nintendo and nothing about your post has any common sense.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
darkrage6 said:
Transdude1996 said:
Code:
[snip snip]
By the way, there are two other things I want to mention. One, it's come out that RE7 is PSVR exclusive only for the first year, so "Ha-ha Sony" to put it one way. And, two, the NES images Yahtzee used are images of the NES Mini.
Not sure what you're talking about with RE7, it's not PSVR exclusive, it comes out on all consoles on the same day. Unless you're referring to the game potentially coming out on PC for the Rift and the Vive.
My mistake, RE7's VR feature is exclusive to the PSVR for a full year. But, going by the add, one can be forgiven for mistaking it.

Also, word of advice, try to avoid double posting.

LordTerminal said:
Alright, on what points was I wrong?

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
LordTerminal said:
Three videos. Three damn videos now he's mentioned Federation Force. Try to tell me he's not pandering to the haters now. In fact this whole video reeks of anti-Nintendo propaganda because he got so much wrong!

1) The Gamecube was hurting in sales because the PS2 had online and the gimmick of a built-in DVD player, two things the Gamecube lacked. If developers were really bitching over the discs, then congrats 3rd Parties, you've proven my point that you have too much freedom and will screw over companies based on essentially nothing.

2) P.N.03 was only reviewed terribly and we all know now not to trust the reviewing media. Yahtzee included.

3) For something called the Capcom 5, it seems Yahtzee spent more time insulting Nintendo. Yeah we're not gonna acknowledge how modern Capcom performed so many heinous acts in the business in recent years and how it crippled them to the point where only Street Fighter, Resident Evil and Dead Rising are the only franchises that they give attention to these days? (Where's my Darkstalkers 4?!)

4) Okay now you're making things up because Brawl not having Mega Man had nothing to do with that. There just wasn't time to implement him. Anyone who believes that rumor needs to take the damn tin foil hat off.

5) Exclusivity is not anti-consumerism. This is PC elitism horse crap if I ever heard it! What is the point of getting a console if you don't have exclusives that you offer that others don't in addition to the 3rd Party stuff? If anything, the mentality of the market today needs to die and we need to go back to what made the 16-bit era great instead.

There's no way around it. This is anti-Nintendo propaganda. If I wanted that, I'd go read the garbage Sean Malstrom spews on that cesspool of a blog of his. Yahtzee is not fit to review Nintendo products anymore. He only cares about Nintendo products that cater to his elitist auteur views and considers the company a virus otherwise. Hence he gets labeled biased. No Yahtzee, you are the virus here.
THHRRRP, fanboy alert!

1. The disks were not only smaller in physical size, they couldn't store as much data on them. And frankly, if you dick over third parties because you are that afraid of piracy (which wasn't stopped by this measure, I might add) you are just begging for your console to fail.

2. When a game reviews terribly, that means that no amount of paid advertising could save it. Do trust the reviewing media.

3. Why not? They've been dicks to third party developers since the NES and they seem to cutting out any form of originality in their games.

4. That's a load of bull. Brawl spent 3 years in development. If they had enough time to include Sonic the Hedgehog, they have enough time to include Mega Man. Also, this sounds exactly like something Nintendo would do, so perhaps you need to take off the tin-foil hat.

5. It is anti-consumer. It's forcing people who want a certain game to go out and buy that specific system to play that game. That's about as anti-consumer as it gets.

I cannot name a single brilliant Nintendo game released after 2010. I'm not making that up. Everything has either been more of the same, with as little effort as possible put into development (Mario 3D World, A Link Between Worlds, Dream Team Bros, Tropical Freeze) or just shit (Nintendo Land, Sticker Star, Federation Force).

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
Rangaman said:
I cannot name a single brilliant Nintendo game released after 2010. I'm not making that up. Everything has either been more of the same, with as little effort as possible put into development (Mario 3D World, A Link Between Worlds, Dream Team Bros, Tropical Freeze) or just shit (Nintendo Land, Sticker Star, Federation Force).
The Xenoblade Chronicles X is a very good title. Also, I heard the new Fire Emblem was great on the gameplay front. Though sadly, they're also the titles that really soured
Nintendo for me, and was my proverbial "last straw" when it come to financially supporting the company.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
LordTerminal said:
Rangaman said:
Everything has either been more of the same, with as little effort as possible put into development (Mario 3D World, A Link Between Worlds, Dream Team Bros, Tropical Freeze)
And you completely invalidated everything you said by saying Tropical Freeze has as little effort as possible because that is a fucking lie. Take my advice and crawl back into whatever hole you crawled out of. I read enough elitist hipsterism bullshit on Twitter.
So anyone who dares to actually criticize Nintendo is a hipster? OK then, you are definitely trolling at this point.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
It wasn't really because of discs that 3rds went over to Sony. They mostly did it due to needing a convenient out from Nintendo not pampering them 24-7 like Sony did. CAPCOM also had other titles on the GC, like the remake of the original RE and RE0 (which admittedly was when the horror premise of the franchise finally wore thin) which were not ported over to other systems for a LOOOOONG time. And that's also not including how despite the PS2 port of RE4 having added content the PS2 also could not keep up with the technical demands of the game.

As for lessons learned, saying Nintendo has learned nothing is outright false. For one thing Nintendo has gotten more diverse since the GC era. Compare their IPs from then compared to now and it's night and day. It's also impossible to deny that Nintendo as a company has only gotten bigger (heck, they're one of the few companies outright expanding on the market). As for 3rd parties, Nintendo actually learned a valuable lesson: don't rely on them for anything as they'll sell you out. Admittedly they should have committed to it harder what with the Wii's drought, the 3DS' slow launch and the Wii U basically being stabbed in the back. But then it's also funny how Nintendo had the last laugh what with companies like EA, Ubisoft, and Activision, having tepid release calendars with ever-shrinking IP pools and struggling to break even let alone make a profit. Their relationship with the Japanese side of things has been better with companies like Atlus and KOEI doing some really groundbreaking collaborations with them or CAPCOM bringing its coveted Monster Hunter franchise to the 3DS as well as SE preferring Nintendo platforms for the Dragon Quest series. So if anything the lesson learned is that Nintendo needs to commit HARDER to exclusivity and making Nintendo products instead of pandering to a bunch of over-the-hill 3rd parties.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
The Dead Singer said:
This is anti-Nintendo propaganda.
Not sure if serious. This is Ben "Yahtzee" "Godzilla" Croshaw here, if you really wanted sloppy Nintendo blowjibbers, then Bob Chipman is still making stuff, although even he admits to some degree Ninetndo has been screwing the pooch, letting Minecraft become the new Mario for a generation of kids because they were so far up their handhelds butthole.

Seriously this is like episode 460, if you want him to be kind to a game then it had best be bloody exceptional.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
gigastar said:
bjj hero said:
Im just pissed that the new Streetfighter managed to be PC/Sony only.

Couldnt they back track on that one as well?
I suspect MS was trying to push it to being a UWP exclusive at the time. And Capcom remembered all to well how MS exclusivity paid off last time...

Never say never, but dont expect it before SF5 gets a title update. If it gets a title update.
Doubt MS can sufficiently payout this time round.

The payout out for exclusivity must cover the potential lost of sale for rival platforms.

How much must they pay Capcom to forgo the entire PS4 market? Not to mention, the bigger the game, the more they have to pay - titans like GTA are practically impossible to buy exclusivity for.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
Aiddon said:
It wasn't really because of discs that 3rds went over to Sony. They mostly did it due to needing a convenient out from Nintendo not pampering them 24-7 like Sony did.
Actually discs probably played a role.

CDs had more space, are a ton cheaper (a few cents vs $20-$60 or more depending on cartridge size) and have low lead times (2 weeks from request to deliver of new prints vs months for cartridges).

The cost and lead time of cartridges made making games very risky.

Say you can manufacture X number of cartridges.

If your game bombs, you got a bunch of expensive but worthless cartridges on your hands - vs CD which are dirty cheap thus a very minor loss.

If you game is a hit and you sell out ... but you are losing potential sales because you don't have anything left to sell. A new batch will take months and by then players will either have lost interest (and you have to compete with newer releases) or bought a used copy (which you don't earn from). While with CDs they can have a new batch printed and delivered to stores within 2 weeks.

How many cartridges to manufacture is a high stakes guessing game.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
LordTerminal said:

Antinintendo propaganda? Really? Have you watched ZP before? He rarely has anything positive to say. He is hardly sponsored by Xbox.

1. Are you seriously suggesting developers ditched the GC through spite? The small discs were for DRM and caused problems for storage. It was a strange decision to make by N.

5. Exclusivity is absolutely anti-consumer. It only benefits big companies like nintendo. Arguing otherwise is ridiculous and comes off tre fan boy. No consumer benefits from having to by hundreds of pounds of hardware to play a single exclusive title when I already have a PC with the power to run it.

And the 16 bit era was not all of that. The games were over priced and there was so many terrible games.

On your final point. If you used ZP as your source for game reviews you would never buy anything. I think you have missed the point of his act. Your blind defence of nintendo is uneeded, they are a massive company with lots of lawyers. Ask anyone posting nintendo lets play videos on youtube.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
I'm still holding out for a retro review of RE4. Surprised he hasn't done one already.
Nah. He'd rather do reviews of indie games most people don't care about. lol

Tommy1138

Oct 22, 2015
I am probably the only person who actually liked P.N. 03 and even I have to admit it's a poorly designed game. It didn't help that Shinji Mikami basically gave up on it half way through to focus on the other 3.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
The Dead Singer said:
Also, if there's anything that we can takeaway from PN03, is that it at least partially influenced Vanquish. That alone is enough reason to appreciate it at least a tiny bit.
After seeing that comment I had to search Youtube for some gameplay footage. Yup, it does look like Vanquish. I'd say it's Bayonetta meets Vanquish the way the girl poses and gyrates as she shoots. Interesting to say the least.

JJME

Oct 6, 2016
According to Sakurai, Megaman didn't get into Brawl because Capcom never asked him to do so like Kojima did for Snake. Inafune says he did want him in, preferring to wait to be called rather than asking Sakurai directly. Sakurai did seek out Capcom to get Megaman in the next Smash Bros himself.

Also remember that around that time was when Capcom started having an apparent "grudge" towards their most iconic mascot in the eyes of fans.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Darth_Payn said:
Also, I thought Nintendo stuck to cartridges on the N64 and mini-discs for the GameCube because it was supposed to make game piracy harder.
Well, that is half the truth. The other half is that Nintendo controlled the manufacturing and printing of blank cartridges and mini discs, so they forced their hand on third party developers over which games could be released, at which time, how many would be produced and sold, and reserved the right to unilaterally underdeliver an order in the middle of the process if they thought another game could be better served with an extra push (like, for example, a first party game). Piracy aside, the main reason for keeping it closed and proprietary was that Nintendo controlled an abnormally big part of the publishing process up to the Gamecube generation.

And people still ask why third party developers dislike working with them.