Zero Punctuation: Capcom Five

maximalist566

Jan 10, 2012
Funny thing is, there is still a Capcom franchise that's pretty much exclusive to Nintendo consoles. That's Ace Attorney - only been out on DS, Wii and 3DS as far as I remember. And it's doing pretty good there. (Yes, I know that there are iPad versions as well, but I don't really count it as a "gaming platform")

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 27, 2020
Country
Sverige
maximalist566 said:
Funny thing is, there is still a Capcom franchise that's pretty much exclusive to Nintendo consoles. That's Ace Attorney - only been out on DS, Wii and 3DS as far as I remember. And it's doing pretty good there. (Yes, I know that there are iPad versions as well, but I don't really count it as a "gaming platform")
Ah, yes, I love that franchise.

Though that's probably due to that being a franchise that you spend 70 % of the time reading and is therefore best suited to handhelds. And in the handheld department Nintendo has always been king.

Though I hope they'll some day release a PC port, since that's apparently a lucrative platform nowadays. But from what I've understood Ace Attorney is A LOT more popular in Japan than abroad, and the Japanese don't really play on PCs so I doubt we'll see that happen.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Uh Yatzhee the Xbox is techincally the more powerful than the Gamecube during that time.

Its ranked like this:

Xbox > Gamecube > PS2.

And I can tell some Xbox games have increadibly gorgeous graphics that outshines the other consoles.

Ninja Gaiden 1, Halo 2, Jade Empire, Conker's Bad Fur Day looked even better than Star Fox Adventures, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory?

THe Xbox even could play games that were made for the PC like Rainbow Six and Doom 3 and even fuckin Morrowind. (Albiet the latter with increadibly shitty framerate and draw distance.)

The Dead Singer

Feb 19, 2014
If it makes you feel any better Yahtzee, we may or may not be approaching an end, or at least a severe tone down of exclusivities, as a month or two ago someone asked a Microsoft representatitve if they were willing to partner up and create something with Sony and they said they'd be open to it, with Sony replying the same. About fucking time. Fingers crossed for it to not be another Sony-Nintendo fiasco (Unless it ends up creating another "Ps1", in which case it's a win-win)

maximalist566

Jan 10, 2012
Bedinsis said:
maximalist566 said:
Ah, yes, I love that franchise.

Though that's probably due to that being a franchise that you spend 70 % of the time reading and is therefore best suited to handhelds. And in the handheld department Nintendo has always been king.

Though I hope they'll some day release a PC port, since that's apparently a lucrative platform nowadays. But from what I've understood Ace Attorney is A LOT more popular in Japan than abroad, and the Japanese don't really play on PCs so I doubt we'll see that happen.
Capcom refusing to bring physical copies of the last games to EU/US doesn't help their popularity. And about PC - I think Nintendo won't allow it, to be honest. Danganronpa was brought to PC despite being a PS Vita-only game that is much more popular in Japan than other world.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Well they aren't slutty enough to let us PC gamer folks a go on their famous Monster Hunter.

jRPG Waifu Pimping Simulator: Dark Arisen was a good start atleast.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Well this was different, but interesting nonetheless. I thought P.N. 03 was decent, but I get why others didn't like it. Nintendo indeed seems to be more clueless now then ever, given they've even run out of ideas for Mario(a 60 dollar level editor? no thanks!) and despite the NX being only five months away, we still barely know a damn thing about it, and I don't see Zelda being enough to sell the system. March is a strange time to launch a major console, so i'd be very surprised if it does any better then the Wii U.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
Country
Argentina
I'm still holding out for a retro review of RE4. Surprised he hasn't done one already.

Rawbeard

Jan 28, 2010
someone didn't have anything to review this week. either way, why do I just now learn RE4 was on the PS2 while I had a PS2? not cool, not cool at all.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
And then, interestingly, Capcom's semi-annual money shitting machine Monster Hunter has made a swift turnaround from being a Sony exclusive to being an almost complete Nintendo exclusive once they worked out how to sell it to western audiences, although that may change if Sony can make a handheld that people outside of Japan actually buy.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
I'm still holding out for a retro review of RE4. Surprised he hasn't done one already.
What's there to say?! Its awesome, Leon is a dork, Luis is a sexy man, boing boing, 'your hand comes off?', LEEEOONN!, bang bang, woof.
There. That's RE4 in a nutshell.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
Well, Color Splash is next week so Yahtzee can use his Wii U for the last time since it's the last major game. I am expecting his next one to be the best review of recently as the year has been kind of slow even before E3 and that hadn't given him enough material.

I honestly appreciate Capcom's habit of shouting "exclusive!!!" and then backing away quickly, I just wish the other developers did the same with Square Enix having to keep their mouths shut for 1 year about Rise of the Tomb Raider and FromSoftware not wanting to port Bloodborne to anything less than the PS4 (not even PC?!)

For Yahtzee's next gaming history, he should talk about Conspiracy Entertainment, the company that took shovelware to the next level.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Rawbeard said:
someone didn't have anything to review this week. either way, why do I just now learn RE4 was on the PS2 while I had a PS2? not cool, not cool at all.
If it is of any conselation, it was a rather terrible port of the GC version.
To an extend the same for Killer 7, but that game just had framerate issues and terribly long loading times on the PS2.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Samtemdo8 said:
Uh Yatzhee the Xbox is techincally the more powerful than the Gamecube during that time.

Its ranked like this:

Xbox > Gamecube > PS2.

And I can tell some Xbox games have increadibly gorgeous graphics that outshines the other consoles.

Ninja Gaiden 1, Halo 2, Jade Empire, Conker's Bad Fur Day looked even better than Star Fox Adventures, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory?

THe Xbox even could play games that were made for the PC like Rainbow Six and Doom 3 and even fuckin Morrowind. (Albiet the latter with increadibly shitty framerate and draw distance.)
This. Despite never owning the original XBOX, I knew it was the most powerful graphically compared to the GameCube & PS2. Playing them at a friends, and a couple of game stores made me realize that early on.

Speaking of Capcom, history would repeat itself again. Devil May Cry 4 & FFXIII (Sqaure Enix, I know) were supposed to be PS3 exclusives, but once the price for the system was announced ($599.99 US Dollars!); both companies backed out at the last minute and made them mutliplatform. The controversy was huge! Capcom fans were pissed. DMC fans were pissed. Square fans were pissed. Sony fans were pissed. Most of all, a majority of them were fans of one, the other, or all. Before that time, those games were exclusive to Sony consoles. I know main series Final Fantasy games were exclusive to Nintendo consoles at first, but that changed during the 5th generation consoles when a lot of 3rd party developers jumped to Sony.

DMC4 would later get a PC port and on Android/ISO There was a PC port of DMC3, but it was horrible, and took many years of fan made patches to make it playable.. The first three games were later ported to PS3 & 360, something a lot of people, myself included, thought to be impossible. To prove my point Dead Rising 3 & 4 is getting ported to PS4 later next year.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Im just pissed that the new Streetfighter managed to be PC/Sony only.

Couldnt they back track on that one as well? Now Im waiting on Tekken 7 for my fist to face fix.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Hearing that jingle again put a mile-wide smile on my face. You know, it's possible that Nintendo and Capcom's silliness made Suda51 shout, "That's it! I'm starting my own game dev studio! With blackjack! And hookers!" And you know he's quirky enough to follow through on all those promises.
Also, I thought Nintendo stuck to cartridges on the N64 and mini-discs for the GameCube because it was supposed to make game piracy harder.
Igor-Rowan said:
Well, Color Splash is next week so Yahtzee can use his Wii U for the last time since it's the last major game. I am expecting his next one to be the best review of recently as the year has been kind of slow even before E3 and that hadn't given him enough material.

I honestly appreciate Capcom's habit of shouting "exclusive!!!" and then backing away quickly, I just wish the other developers did the same with Square Enix having to keep their mouths shut for 1 year about Rise of the Tomb Raider and FromSoftware not wanting to port Bloodborne to anything less than the PS4 (not even PC?!)

For Yahtzee's next gaming history, he should talk about Conspiracy Entertainment, the company that took shovelware to the next level.
The jokes for them will write themselves.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
09philj said:
And then, interestingly, Capcom's semi-annual money shitting machine Monster Hunter has made a swift turnaround from being a Sony exclusive to being an almost complete Nintendo exclusive once they worked out how to sell it to western audiences, although that may change if Sony can make a handheld that people outside of Japan actually buy.
Monster Hunter's main audience is in Japan. It was never all that popular in the West.

While Capcom dragged it feet with regards to putting Monster Hunter on a home console like the PS3/360 ... the Souls series pretty much stole the hard-as-nails niche from under their noses.

Jan 27, 2011
Am I the only one who instantly grinned as soon as I heard the little song at the start? It's been WAY too long since we've had one of these! XD

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
Can't wait for the NX to finally be revealed, only for all third parties other than Ubisoft (who lies about it anyways) to shakily cough and look around nervously when asked if they're making games for it.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
Darth_Payn said:
Also, I thought Nintendo stuck to cartridges on the N64 and mini-discs for the GameCube because it was supposed to make game piracy harder.
They did, but Sony's marketing turned their system into a glorified DVD player for half the price of one and the Xbox went on to set the standard for online console gaming, so Nintendo's only concern at the time was one thig that led to the GameCube's chain reaction of failure.

Darth_Payn said:
The jokes for them will write themselves.
I remember that time when shovelware was becoming relatively tame compared to the NES days, then these guys come along to bring the worst this industry has to offer: destroying the Wii's reputations, setting (lack of) standards that would later multiply in the mobile market and paving the way for asset flipping, years before Steam's Early access.

Groverfield

Jul 4, 2011
I don't remember PN03 being that bad... a bit easy sure, and definitely wouldn't fly in today's market unless it had an oversensitive director who insulted anyone who didn't like the game.

Delicious Anathema

Aug 25, 2009
At least Resident Evil remake and Resident Evil 0 remained exclusives for quite a while. At least Capcom tried to put something out on the freaking GC, I have no fondness for Nintendo's own games for that console, except maybe Luigi's Mansion.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
The thing about exclusives is, developers like them because it means they only have to learn how to develop for one platform. And if console manufacturers are willing to throw in some free money for it, then why not. Exclusives will only go away when we no longer have separate platforms, which in my opinion cannot happen soon enough. I may have brought this up before, but imagine a world where Betamax and HD-DVD never went away and everyone was expected to own one of each type of player in order to watch every movie. Now imagine instead of just two dueling formats, there are three, plus another that only works on computers and another that only works on portable devices and and and

Sadly, unless capitalism completely ceases to exist and all industries become monopolized and nationalized, the only way we'll ever see an end to the platform wars is if every manufacturer but one goes out of business or they all merge or some other cataclysmic event that would lead to an even less consumer-friendly industry than we have now.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
maximalist566 said:
You should count it as gaming platforms, the best version of Dual Destinies is the iOS version. And it's not doing all that great. 2 of the games weren't even released here and the mainline series is relegated to eshop only with overpriced DLC. Sales seem to be on a downward trajectory. AA used to be localised into 5 different languages, and now we only get English.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they started porting the newer AA games to PC and Consoles. They don't really have an excuse now that the series if fully 3D. Would be a lot smarter for the series to branch out. Worked out pretty well for Danganronpa, and those games suck. Might even result in enough extra scratch for them to localise Great Ace Attorney. It sucks that they just announced the sequel, and we didn't even get the first one.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
The best version of RE4 was still on the Wii. Aiming with the wiimote is just so damn natural compared to the massive awkwardness that is thumbstick controlled crosshairs

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Tune in to next week's Let's Drown Out Lawn Clippings and Dead Wasps Simulator as featured on The Best of Steam Greenlight.

Capcom may not be the juggernaut it used to be, but it is still relevant and cashes in on its IPs and nostalgia in a way that is not quite denigrating. Not yet anyway. Apart from quietly euthanizing the Mega Man multiverse which is their biggest wtf move for many to date.

Team Ico is probably the least relevant dev team I can think of that are technically still making a game.

Konami is like someone who decided to treat their advanced rabies by getting high on bath salts, and that is AFTER Kojima left with his own abberant miasma. I don't even know how to internalize their words and deeds as coming from sapient life sometimes.

Bizarrely I think Capcom has done a better job of making Zelda games than Nintendo has since Majora's Mask. Maybe they should let them try their hands at Metroid.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
bjj hero said:

Couldnt they back track on that one as well?
I suspect MS was trying to push it to being a UWP exclusive at the time. And Capcom remembered all to well how MS exclusivity paid off last time...

Never say never, but dont expect it before SF5 gets a title update. If it gets a title update.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
I really dislike the "exclusivity is anti consumerism" opinion, actual competition between consoles can make them invest in better games rather than the current trend of making mediocre games because people will buy them for brand name. At worst buy another console, god knows people today spend much more money for much stupider things.

Atratzu

Aug 14, 2016
Oh capcom, how you've fallen, not as far as Nintendo, but fallen none the less. Actually Rare has fallen farther then both of them, and then there's Sonic... Wow, someone take my childhood outback and put it of it's misery, it shouldn't continue on like a zombie like it has been.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
It's nice to hear that jingle again, maybe next time we could look at the failures of Konami, or is that beating a dead horse? Still looking forward to a possible RE4 retro review though.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
That and Hitman: Blood Money. They both have things you can make fun of and stuff that's really good, making them ideal for retro reviews.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Three videos. Three damn videos now he's mentioned Federation Force. Try to tell me he's not pandering to the haters now. In fact this whole video reeks of anti-Nintendo propaganda because he got so much wrong!

1) The Gamecube was hurting in sales because the PS2 had online and the gimmick of a built-in DVD player, two things the Gamecube lacked. If developers were really bitching over the discs, then congrats 3rd Parties, you've proven my point that you have too much freedom and will screw over companies based on essentially nothing.

2) P.N.03 was only reviewed terribly and we all know now not to trust the reviewing media. Yahtzee included.

3) For something called the Capcom 5, it seems Yahtzee spent more time insulting Nintendo. Yeah we're not gonna acknowledge how modern Capcom performed so many heinous acts in the business in recent years and how it crippled them to the point where only Street Fighter, Resident Evil and Dead Rising are the only franchises that they give attention to these days? (Where's my Darkstalkers 4?!)

4) Okay now you're making things up because Brawl not having Mega Man had nothing to do with that. There just wasn't time to implement him. Anyone who believes that rumor needs to take the damn tin foil hat off.

5) Exclusivity is not anti-consumerism. This is PC elitism horse crap if I ever heard it! What is the point of getting a console if you don't have exclusives that you offer that others don't in addition to the 3rd Party stuff? If anything, the mentality of the market today needs to die and we need to go back to what made the 16-bit era great instead.

There's no way around it. This is anti-Nintendo propaganda. If I wanted that, I'd go read the garbage Sean Malstrom spews on that cesspool of a blog of his. Yahtzee is not fit to review Nintendo products anymore. He only cares about Nintendo products that cater to his elitist auteur views and considers the company a virus otherwise. Hence he gets labeled biased. No Yahtzee, you are the virus here.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
Canadamus Prime said:
Ironically the Gamecube is one of my favorite consoles.
I used to think the same until I got a Dreamcast.

Speaking of which, I think that's the console that started Capcom's weariness of exclusivity meanwhile the Gamecube was the one that cemented it in. After porting over Dino Crisis, RE2 & 3, and a few of their fighting titles, the Dreamcast became Capcom's home for the next two years with hits like their Capcom VS. series and RE: Code Veronica. And, then to have the console die on them seems to have left a very deep wound that they still very much remember.

By the way, there are two other things I want to mention. One, it's come out that RE7 is PSVR exclusive only for the first year, so "Ha-ha Sony" to put it one way. And, two, the NES images Yahtzee used are images of the NES Mini.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Atratzu said:
Oh capcom, how you've fallen, not as far as Nintendo, but fallen none the less. Actually Rare has fallen farther then both of them, and then there's Sonic... Wow, someone take my childhood outback and put it of it's misery, it shouldn't continue on like a zombie like it has been.
And let the brown sludge and generic muscular white trash protagonists of the modern industry win? I would rather die.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
LordTerminal said:
Couples things here: One, the GC failed because NoJ couldn't realize that Nintendo, as a company, wasn't the head of the game industry anymore.

Two, Darkstalkers is just a reskin of Street Fighter.

Three, what about the recent talks of DMC5, the recently releases of Monster Hunter, Ace Attorney, and Strider, and the development of Deep Down?

Four, if they were planning to include him, why is there no random file on the Brawl disc for Mega Man like there is for Mewtwo, Dr. Mario, Dixie Kong, or Toon Sheik(?), or even any talk of possibly including him like there was with Pac-Man?

crimsonshrouds

Mar 23, 2009
LordTerminal said:
we got a Nintendo fan boy over here. Just because somebody doesn't suck nintendo's cock, does not equate to anti-nintendo bias. The missing DVD player hurt nintendo, then why didn't they implement that? Not only did nintendo kneecap themselves with third-party support, they couldn't even compete with Sony on what their console could do. Not only did you help yahtzee's point you showed your fanboy colours. You don't think artificially restricting access to what games the consumer can buy is anti-consumer? But a critic pointing out why a console couldn't compete in the market is anti-nintendo bias? The whole smash brothers brawl thing was a rumor as stated in the video. It was not a rumor yahtzee made up. I heard that rumor a long time ago and had to with japan's very petty and fucked up corporate culture. Your entire post is just white knighting for a massive corporation who sees you as nothing more than a wallet with legs.

The Dead Singer

Feb 19, 2014
Also, if there's anything that we can takeaway from PN03, is that it at least partially influenced Vanquish. That alone is enough reason to appreciate it at least a tiny bit.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Transdude1996 said:
LordTerminal said:
Couples things here: One, the GC failed because NoJ couldn't realize that Nintendo, as a company, wasn't the head of the game industry anymore.

Three, what about the recent talks of DMC5, the recently releases of Monster Hunter, Ace Attorney, and Strider, and the development of Deep Down?

Four, if they were planning to include him, why is there no random file on the Brawl disc for Mega Man like there is for Mewtwo, Dr. Mario, Dixie Kong, or Toon Sheik(?), or even any talk of possibly including him like there was with Pac-Man?
One, wrong.

Two, Also wrong.

Three, Oh yeah, real good logic you have there: if it's not a leftover in the game's code, that immediately proves a bullshit rumor about them not including him out of spite.

Take the tin foil hat off and live in the real world.

crimsonshrouds said:
That goes double for you buddy. I'm not white knighting anyone. I'm using common sense.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Groverfield said:
I don't remember PN03 being that bad... a bit easy sure, and definitely wouldn't fly in today's market unless it had an oversensitive director who insulted anyone who didn't like the game.
I think it would do quite well today.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
rembrandtqeinstein said:
The best version of RE4 was still on the Wii. Aiming with the wiimote is just so damn natural compared to the massive awkwardness that is thumbstick controlled crosshairs
For me the PC version was the best one, aiming with the mouse felt very natural.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
[
LordTerminal said:
Three videos. Three damn videos now he's mentioned Federation Force. Try to tell me he's not pandering to the haters now. In fact this whole video reeks of anti-Nintendo propaganda because he got so much wrong!

1) The Gamecube was hurting in sales because the PS2 had online and the gimmick of a built-in DVD player, two things the Gamecube lacked. If developers were really bitching over the discs, then congrats 3rd Parties, you've proven my point that you have too much freedom and will screw over companies based on essentially nothing.

2) P.N.03 was only reviewed terribly and we all know now not to trust the reviewing media. Yahtzee included.

3) For something called the Capcom 5, it seems Yahtzee spent more time insulting Nintendo. Yeah we're not gonna acknowledge how modern Capcom performed so many heinous acts in the business in recent years and how it crippled them to the point where only Street Fighter, Resident Evil and Dead Rising are the only franchises that they give attention to these days? (Where's my Darkstalkers 4?!)

4) Okay now you're making things up because Brawl not having Mega Man had nothing to do with that. There just wasn't time to implement him. Anyone who believes that rumor needs to take the damn tin foil hat off.

5) Exclusivity is not anti-consumerism. This is PC elitism horse crap if I ever heard it! What is the point of getting a console if you don't have exclusives that you offer that others don't in addition to the 3rd Party stuff? If anything, the mentality of the market today needs to die and we need to go back to what made the 16-bit era great instead.

There's no way around it. This is anti-Nintendo propaganda. If I wanted that, I'd go read the garbage Sean Malstrom spews on that cesspool of a blog of his. Yahtzee is not fit to review Nintendo products anymore. He only cares about Nintendo products that cater to his elitist auteur views and considers the company a virus otherwise. Hence he gets labeled biased. No Yahtzee, you are the virus here.
You sound like you're new to Yahtzee, being overly negative is kind of his shtick, if you don't like it, go watch something else. Also Federation Force sucked ass, it was so bad I couldn't even finish it.

Exclusivity is anti-consumer, even as someone who prefers playing on consoles over PCs I think it's ridiculous.

Nintendo fanboys like you are not helping at all, Nintendo has made so many stupid decisions over the past few years it's mind-boggling. The fact that we still don't know what the NX looks like or how it plays despite it only being five months away is a very bad sign, that's unheard of for a major console.

The 16-bit era is not the golden age people think it is(and i'm saying this as someone who's first console was a Genesis) there were a lot of bad things about it, and the last thing we need is to regress back to that mentality.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Transdude1996 said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Ironically the Gamecube is one of my favorite consoles.
I used to think the same until I got a Dreamcast.

Speaking of which, I think that's the console that started Capcom's weariness of exclusivity meanwhile the Gamecube was the one that cemented it in. After porting over Dino Crisis, RE2 & 3, and a few of their fighting titles, the Dreamcast became Capcom's home for the next two years with hits like their Capcom VS. series and RE: Code Veronica. And, then to have the console die on them seems to have left a very deep wound that they still very much remember.

By the way, there are two other things I want to mention. One, it's come out that RE7 is PSVR exclusive only for the first year, so "Ha-ha Sony" to put it one way. And, two, the NES images Yahtzee used are images of the NES Mini.
Not sure what you're talking about with RE7, it's not PSVR exclusive, it comes out on all consoles on the same day. Unless you're referring to the game potentially coming out on PC for the Rift and the Vive.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
LordTerminal said:
Transdude1996 said:
LordTerminal said:

One, wrong.

Two, Also wrong.

Three, Oh yeah, real good logic you have there: if it's not a leftover in the game's code, that immediately proves a bullshit rumor about them not including him out of spite.

Take the tin foil hat off and live in the real world.

crimsonshrouds said:
That goes double for you buddy. I'm not white knighting anyone. I'm using common sense.
Yes you are blindly defending Nintendo and nothing about your post has any common sense.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
darkrage6 said:
Transdude1996 said:
Code:
[snip snip]
Not sure what you're talking about with RE7, it's not PSVR exclusive, it comes out on all consoles on the same day. Unless you're referring to the game potentially coming out on PC for the Rift and the Vive.
My mistake, RE7's VR feature is exclusive to the PSVR for a full year. But, going by the add, one can be forgiven for mistaking it.

Also, word of advice, try to avoid double posting.

LordTerminal said:
Alright, on what points was I wrong?

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
LordTerminal said:

THHRRRP, fanboy alert!

1. The disks were not only smaller in physical size, they couldn't store as much data on them. And frankly, if you dick over third parties because you are that afraid of piracy (which wasn't stopped by this measure, I might add) you are just begging for your console to fail.

2. When a game reviews terribly, that means that no amount of paid advertising could save it. Do trust the reviewing media.

3. Why not? They've been dicks to third party developers since the NES and they seem to cutting out any form of originality in their games.

4. That's a load of bull. Brawl spent 3 years in development. If they had enough time to include Sonic the Hedgehog, they have enough time to include Mega Man. Also, this sounds exactly like something Nintendo would do, so perhaps you need to take off the tin-foil hat.

5. It is anti-consumer. It's forcing people who want a certain game to go out and buy that specific system to play that game. That's about as anti-consumer as it gets.

I cannot name a single brilliant Nintendo game released after 2010. I'm not making that up. Everything has either been more of the same, with as little effort as possible put into development (Mario 3D World, A Link Between Worlds, Dream Team Bros, Tropical Freeze) or just shit (Nintendo Land, Sticker Star, Federation Force).

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
Rangaman said:
I cannot name a single brilliant Nintendo game released after 2010. I'm not making that up. Everything has either been more of the same, with as little effort as possible put into development (Mario 3D World, A Link Between Worlds, Dream Team Bros, Tropical Freeze) or just shit (Nintendo Land, Sticker Star, Federation Force).
The Xenoblade Chronicles X is a very good title. Also, I heard the new Fire Emblem was great on the gameplay front. Though sadly, they're also the titles that really soured
Nintendo for me, and was my proverbial "last straw" when it come to financially supporting the company.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
LordTerminal said:
Rangaman said:
Everything has either been more of the same, with as little effort as possible put into development (Mario 3D World, A Link Between Worlds, Dream Team Bros, Tropical Freeze)
And you completely invalidated everything you said by saying Tropical Freeze has as little effort as possible because that is a fucking lie. Take my advice and crawl back into whatever hole you crawled out of. I read enough elitist hipsterism bullshit on Twitter.
So anyone who dares to actually criticize Nintendo is a hipster? OK then, you are definitely trolling at this point.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
It wasn't really because of discs that 3rds went over to Sony. They mostly did it due to needing a convenient out from Nintendo not pampering them 24-7 like Sony did. CAPCOM also had other titles on the GC, like the remake of the original RE and RE0 (which admittedly was when the horror premise of the franchise finally wore thin) which were not ported over to other systems for a LOOOOONG time. And that's also not including how despite the PS2 port of RE4 having added content the PS2 also could not keep up with the technical demands of the game.

As for lessons learned, saying Nintendo has learned nothing is outright false. For one thing Nintendo has gotten more diverse since the GC era. Compare their IPs from then compared to now and it's night and day. It's also impossible to deny that Nintendo as a company has only gotten bigger (heck, they're one of the few companies outright expanding on the market). As for 3rd parties, Nintendo actually learned a valuable lesson: don't rely on them for anything as they'll sell you out. Admittedly they should have committed to it harder what with the Wii's drought, the 3DS' slow launch and the Wii U basically being stabbed in the back. But then it's also funny how Nintendo had the last laugh what with companies like EA, Ubisoft, and Activision, having tepid release calendars with ever-shrinking IP pools and struggling to break even let alone make a profit. Their relationship with the Japanese side of things has been better with companies like Atlus and KOEI doing some really groundbreaking collaborations with them or CAPCOM bringing its coveted Monster Hunter franchise to the 3DS as well as SE preferring Nintendo platforms for the Dragon Quest series. So if anything the lesson learned is that Nintendo needs to commit HARDER to exclusivity and making Nintendo products instead of pandering to a bunch of over-the-hill 3rd parties.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
The Dead Singer said:
This is anti-Nintendo propaganda.
Not sure if serious. This is Ben "Yahtzee" "Godzilla" Croshaw here, if you really wanted sloppy Nintendo blowjibbers, then Bob Chipman is still making stuff, although even he admits to some degree Ninetndo has been screwing the pooch, letting Minecraft become the new Mario for a generation of kids because they were so far up their handhelds butthole.

Seriously this is like episode 460, if you want him to be kind to a game then it had best be bloody exceptional.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
gigastar said:
bjj hero said:

Couldnt they back track on that one as well?
I suspect MS was trying to push it to being a UWP exclusive at the time. And Capcom remembered all to well how MS exclusivity paid off last time...

Never say never, but dont expect it before SF5 gets a title update. If it gets a title update.
Doubt MS can sufficiently payout this time round.

The payout out for exclusivity must cover the potential lost of sale for rival platforms.

How much must they pay Capcom to forgo the entire PS4 market? Not to mention, the bigger the game, the more they have to pay - titans like GTA are practically impossible to buy exclusivity for.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
Aiddon said:
It wasn't really because of discs that 3rds went over to Sony. They mostly did it due to needing a convenient out from Nintendo not pampering them 24-7 like Sony did.
Actually discs probably played a role.

CDs had more space, are a ton cheaper (a few cents vs $20-$60 or more depending on cartridge size) and have low lead times (2 weeks from request to deliver of new prints vs months for cartridges).

The cost and lead time of cartridges made making games very risky.

Say you can manufacture X number of cartridges.

If your game bombs, you got a bunch of expensive but worthless cartridges on your hands - vs CD which are dirty cheap thus a very minor loss.

If you game is a hit and you sell out ... but you are losing potential sales because you don't have anything left to sell. A new batch will take months and by then players will either have lost interest (and you have to compete with newer releases) or bought a used copy (which you don't earn from). While with CDs they can have a new batch printed and delivered to stores within 2 weeks.

How many cartridges to manufacture is a high stakes guessing game.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
LordTerminal said:

Antinintendo propaganda? Really? Have you watched ZP before? He rarely has anything positive to say. He is hardly sponsored by Xbox.

1. Are you seriously suggesting developers ditched the GC through spite? The small discs were for DRM and caused problems for storage. It was a strange decision to make by N.

5. Exclusivity is absolutely anti-consumer. It only benefits big companies like nintendo. Arguing otherwise is ridiculous and comes off tre fan boy. No consumer benefits from having to by hundreds of pounds of hardware to play a single exclusive title when I already have a PC with the power to run it.

And the 16 bit era was not all of that. The games were over priced and there was so many terrible games.

On your final point. If you used ZP as your source for game reviews you would never buy anything. I think you have missed the point of his act. Your blind defence of nintendo is uneeded, they are a massive company with lots of lawyers. Ask anyone posting nintendo lets play videos on youtube.

Arnoxthe1

Dec 25, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
Nah. He'd rather do reviews of indie games most people don't care about. lol

Tommy1138

Oct 22, 2015
I am probably the only person who actually liked P.N. 03 and even I have to admit it's a poorly designed game. It didn't help that Shinji Mikami basically gave up on it half way through to focus on the other 3.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
The Dead Singer said:
Also, if there's anything that we can takeaway from PN03, is that it at least partially influenced Vanquish. That alone is enough reason to appreciate it at least a tiny bit.
After seeing that comment I had to search Youtube for some gameplay footage. Yup, it does look like Vanquish. I'd say it's Bayonetta meets Vanquish the way the girl poses and gyrates as she shoots. Interesting to say the least.

JJME

Oct 6, 2016
According to Sakurai, Megaman didn't get into Brawl because Capcom never asked him to do so like Kojima did for Snake. Inafune says he did want him in, preferring to wait to be called rather than asking Sakurai directly. Sakurai did seek out Capcom to get Megaman in the next Smash Bros himself.

Also remember that around that time was when Capcom started having an apparent "grudge" towards their most iconic mascot in the eyes of fans.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Darth_Payn said:
Well, that is half the truth. The other half is that Nintendo controlled the manufacturing and printing of blank cartridges and mini discs, so they forced their hand on third party developers over which games could be released, at which time, how many would be produced and sold, and reserved the right to unilaterally underdeliver an order in the middle of the process if they thought another game could be better served with an extra push (like, for example, a first party game). Piracy aside, the main reason for keeping it closed and proprietary was that Nintendo controlled an abnormally big part of the publishing process up to the Gamecube generation.

And people still ask why third party developers dislike working with them.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Apr 29, 2020
I bought a Gamecube at the time specifically for RE Remake and RE4 and didn't necessarily felt disappoint by Capcom porting RE4 over to PS2(though Mikami threatened to 'cut off his own head' if that ever happened which I'm surprised Yahtzee didn't mention). I think RE4 on GC was still superior as I got both versions and the PS2 one definitely looked more washed out with worse lighting effects. It's obvious the game was optimized for GC and the PS2 port was fairly poor in my opinion.

As for the Capcom five; never played PN03 but I thought Killer7 and Viewtiful Joe were both pretty fun. Original atleast. The Gamecube in general was really an underperformer that could have done much better even if it had some games I really liked: Metroid Prime, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess(atleast began development as a GC title) and the 'exclusive' Resident Evil games of which RE4 remains one of my most favorite games of all time.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
Country
Argentina
Silentpony said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
What's there to say?! Its awesome, Leon is a dork, Luis is a sexy man, boing boing, 'your hand comes off?', LEEEOONN!, bang bang, woof.
Well yeah but he usually finds the time to retro-review his favorite games, like Silent Hill 2 and Shadow of the Colossus.

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
LordTerminal said:
Do you even know what "anti-consumer" is? You just listed why exclusivity is short-term pro-company (and anti-consumer).
Lets flip that argument and actually look at it from the consumer's side this time: "What is the point of spending 400 more dollars on a new box of gaming hardware to play this game when I already have a perfectly good box of equal-if-not-better gaming hardware right here?" Unless you're an asshole who enjoys being able to have something that others can't, there's no satisfactory answers for that.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Hey...I like cartridges! It's just a shame that developers do not. The lazy cunts! Also, the GameCube could do some things better than the Xbox, if I remember correctly; more layered textures (possibly 4 or...8?) and more colours. But overall computing power not so much.

Also I do wish capcom would whore themselves out ever so slightly more so that Dead rising 3 can at least come over to the darkside.

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
Xsjadoblayde said:
Hey...I like cartridges! It's just a shame that developers do not.
A well-made cartridge is definitely better from a usability angle (harder to damage, no moving parts, smaller nowadays, faster seek times), it's just that they're WAAAY more expensive to manufacture than discs. I doubt the devs care much about that, but the publishers sure do.
Though I suppose they've made a quasi-resurgence now, with SD cards being used to store digital download games.

President Bagel

Nov 18, 2009
It's about time Zero Punctuation made a reference to S Club 7.

Johnny Novgorod said:
Silentpony said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Well yeah but he usually finds the time to retro-review his favorite games, like Silent Hill 2 and Shadow of the Colossus.
He's talked about the game so much over the years (not to mention that he recently did a playthrough of the game alongside Gabe) that a full on review of it would be superfluous.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
Xsjadoblayde said:
Hey...I like cartridges! It's just a shame that developers do not. The lazy cunts! Also, the GameCube could do some things better than the Xbox, if I remember correctly; more layered textures (possibly 4 or...8?) and more colours. But overall computing power not so much.

Also I do wish capcom would whore themselves out ever so slightly more so that Dead rising 3 can at least come over to the darkside.
Yeah, when it came to games, the general order of superior versions went "Dreamcast > GameCube = Xbox > PS2". There were some exceptions to this like the original Ghost Recon and Sonic Adventure, but this is the rule for the most part.

MicRemembersBadly

Aug 14, 2013
crimsonshrouds said:
LordTerminal said:
we got a Nintendo fan boy over here. Just because somebody doesn't suck nintendo's cock, does not equate to anti-nintendo bias.

Your entire post is just white knighting for a massive corporation who sees you as nothing more than a wallet with legs.
It's worse than that. Read his posting history; He's been reacting over-emotionally to criticism of Nintendo for years. He was previously banned for exactly the same behaviour exhibited here, screaming at Yahtzee for "anti-Nintendo bias" too. It's got to the point that I open every single videos comments expecting to see his name and the exact same imbalanced freak out; Every. Single. Video. And every time, he's always, always there. He's even claimed Yahtzee sets his mood for the day. He's blamed him for his outbursts of rage. We're dealing with someone who has, for YEARS, been triggered in entirely unhealthy ways to the point I often wonder if Yahtzee makes his videos with the same knowing smile on his face that LordTerminal/LordTerminus will be there foaming and howling within a day...

The guy clearly has real life issues. And it's really, really sad and a terrible shame.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
MC1980 said:
maximalist566 said:
You should count it as gaming platforms, the best version of Dual Destinies is the iOS version. And it's not doing all that great. 2 of the games weren't even released here and the mainline series is relegated to eshop only with overpriced DLC. Sales seem to be on a downward trajectory. AA used to be localised into 5 different languages, and now we only get English.
The content DLC in Phoenix Wright is absolutely not overpriced. In both PW5 and PW6 there are 5 cases (as there have been in every previous game) and the game costs $30, with an extra full length case available as DLC for $6. Compared to other Capcom DLC offerings it's shockingly priced exactly what it should be.

....But then there's costume DLC and that garbage is indeed grossly overpriced.

And Capcom treats fans outside Japan like trash as it is. Capcom's refusal to localize Edgeworth Investigations 2 and Great Ace Attourney is nothing short of despicable. They even just announced Great Ace Attourney 2, so I can't wait for the idiotic rationalizations from Capcom about why they aren't localizing that one either.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Funny thing is, the Gamecube is probably one of my favorite consoles.

Also, as much as I love the idea of every single game from now on to be released on PC and thus never have to buy a console again, I never really got the idea that exclusives are a terrible thing.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Thanatos2k said:
In both PW5 and PW6 there are 5 cases (as there have been in every previous game) and the game costs $30, with an extra full length case available as DLC for $6.
I know the cases themselves aren't priced outrageously for what they are meant to be, I'm just still a bit salty that the DLC cases were free for a week after release in Japan, and here it's fuck you pay me, among other things.

Funny you should bring the 5+1 case thing. For one, the dlc for Dual Destinies was the most disgustingly blatant time Capcom just straight up cut a portion of the game out to sell as dlc I've ever seen. Like, they planned 5 cases, and then decided they want DLC too, so they cut case 3 from the game and to compensate they arbitrarily cut case 5 into 2 cases that are really short by themselves and in actuality are the same case. Even though the final case is always the longest by far, and in DD both 4 and 5 were shorter than 2, let alone 3 or the DLC. And the cut was so clumsy to boot, Pearl's appearance without the dlc is the most random thing, and somehow she and Athena know eachother, which, again, without the cut case is confusing as shit. The face-to-face with the rival prosecutor, a story beat that happens in literally every one of the games, usually either case 2 or 3, also happens in the DLC.

A shame too, since the DLC is the best case in the game.

It seems like they actually planned for DLC with Spirit of Justice, since this actually takes places post game. I'm only halfway through the dlc case, but it seems more filler-y than the main game. Mid-game cases are usually like that in mainline AA, but SoJ managed to be more on point, atleast with the ones that take place in Ku'rain. It's actually closer to the Investigations games in that regard. Except for case 4. That one was almost painfully shoehorned in, and they didn't even do a full case, just a moderate length trial, 'cus Athena had to have a case for herself or something. Even though she had nothing to do with the plot this time around. Guess they had to make time and money for the 2 non-canon DLCs that were already downloaded with the main game. That's the scummy dlc thing with this game, you literally only buy a few block large unlock for the 2 cheaper dlcs, everything is already downloaded. Atleast they didn't mangle the main game this time.

Game's pretty good overall, far better than DD. They seemed to flaunt the returning characters in the marketing, so I was a worried the game would end up being poor.

...I think I might have gone off topic there somewhat. Apologies.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
marioandsonic said:
Funny thing is, the Gamecube is probably one of my favorite consoles.

Also, as much as I love the idea of every single game from now on to be released on PC and thus never have to buy a console again, I never really got the idea that exclusives are a terrible thing.
That's because they're not. They just come off as being an anti-consumer practice because of the way business laws are set up to force companies to compete (At least, in the U.S.).

To put it one way, say every single game was and is only developed for PC. That would mean that Microsoft would have a monopoly on the game industry, and that's essential giving them compete control over what happens. As anyone can tell you with any company, that's way too much power despite what they may "intend" to do.

So, then you have Mac and Linux OSs introduced into the mix to prevent Microsoft from having complete control. But, what about those who only use the computer for business and work, and do not think of it as the same system that you'd play games on? Then, you have companies who developed arcade systems designed solely for gaming. But, what about those who do not want to go down to the local pub and constantly waste their pocket change playing Galaga and Wild Gunmen? Then, you develop the home systems for those who want to buy the games one time and one time only. But, what about the fact that the only console in the market is inadequate to produce your games on? Then, that company develops their own system to fit their specific needs. But, what about this new technology on the market that offers a new way to play games? Then, a company comes along and finds a way to integrate that tech into their old or new systems and give them an edge over their competitors. But, what about the ability to use your system for other reasons than as a "gaming only" device? Then, a company finds a way to integrate other features in their system to make it more accessible to other consumers. But, what about the fact that different companies are essentially selling the same system? Then, you go out and buy the system that best suits your needs.

But, what if I only want to buy one system to play everything? Then, your out of luck and you better get over it. You either have one company ruling over everyone, or multiple companies competing for control.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
MC1980 said:
Thanatos2k said:
In both PW5 and PW6 there are 5 cases (as there have been in every previous game) and the game costs $30, with an extra full length case available as DLC for $6.
I know the cases themselves aren't priced outrageously for what they are meant to be, I'm just still a bit salty that the DLC cases were free for a week after release in Japan, and here it's fuck you pay me, among other things.
Oh they were, were they. Well, then fuck you Capcom.

It seems like they actually planned for DLC with Spirit of Justice, since this actually takes places post game. I'm only halfway through the dlc case, but it seems more filler-y than the main game.
Cases 2 and 4 of the game are pure filler as it is, and pretty blatantly so. But only because case 1 3 and 5 have a connecting storyline. In previous games it was usually case 2 into 4 or 5 and the others completely disconnected.

warmachine

Hating everyone equally
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
The next one in the series should be EA buying then destroying studios because they keep doing it and never learn.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Thanatos2k said:
Cases 2 and 4 of the game are pure filler as it is, and pretty blatantly so. But only because case 1 3 and 5 have a connecting storyline. In previous games it was usually case 2 into 4 or 5 and the others completely disconnected.
Case 2's main plot is filler, but it works as a intro/reintroduction to the characters and mechanics, as well as advancing, or rather, setting up, Apollo's relation to the story and adds some development to existing characters. So I'd say it's functionally not filler, even though the main plot thread is tertiary to the overall story.

Case 4 on the other hand, oh boy. A complete afterthought, with a pointless cameo from Blackquill.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
LordTerminal said:

"Only reviewed terribly" The hell is that supposed to mean? Everyone hated it, but it was only a conspiracy to put the little man down, maaan?

You wot? The notion that everyone should get to play everything so that everyone can have fun and enjoy the games they like rather than being gated is elitist? Do you even know what elitist means? The point of buying a console is and always should be ease of use, not petty arguing over who has the best exclusives.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Now we have the Nintendo NX. A console that's really a sort-of-handheld that Ubisoft are fawning over.

Prediction: Ubisoft will make a few games NX Exclusive, then port them to to the other consoles (and PC) two months later, and Nintendo will go cry in to their Misty full body pillow wondering why all their friends are abandoning them.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
inu-kun said:
I really dislike the "exclusivity is anti consumerism" opinion, actual competition between consoles can make them invest in better games rather than the current trend of making mediocre games because people will buy them for brand name. At worst buy another console, god knows people today spend much more money for much stupider things.
Then you are wrong. Exclusivity is horrible for the consumers forcing them to purchase multiple devices that for all intends and purposes shouldnt even exist anymore. Innovation in games has nothing to do with it being exclusive or not, especially now when all relevant consoles run exact same architecture as PCs (sorry nintendo, you havent been relevant in a long time).

No, noone should EVER be forced to buy a console.

LordTerminal said:

Absolute horseshpit. Not giving consumers a choice is anti-consumerism. Its as simple as that. There is no point in getting a console. If the only reason you buy it is for exclusives then you are being conned. Why the fuck do you defend conmen?

And what did made 16 bit era great? shit games and bought reviews? or was it the console wars?

There is no need to make anti-nintendo propaganda. its already one of the worst companies out there. The company IS a virus. It should be disbanded for its illegal youtube abuse alone.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
Strazdas said:
And what did made 16 bit era great? shit games and bought reviews? or was it the console wars?
For me, it's seeing what companies could do with games under the technological constraints they faced. With today's tech, anyone with a slight grasp on GameMaker can develop an entire multi-part epic with dialog, effects, etc.. That wasn't the case 20+ years ago when you cloudn't make a game bigger than a few dozen megabytes, a limited color palette, limits on animation complexity, and an audio byte had the risk of taking up an overwhelming majority of the cartridge.

Also, to address you're other comments, it's because of business laws requiring companies to compete. If you want a lengthier explanation, look at my post near the top of the page [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.943342-Zero-Punctuation-Capcom-Five?page=3#23803230].

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
Transdude1996 said:
Rangaman said:
The Xenoblade Chronicles X is a very good title. Also, I heard the new Fire Emblem was great on the gameplay front. Though sadly, they're also the titles that really soured
Nintendo for me, and was my proverbial "last straw" when it come to financially supporting the company.
I'm not one for JRPGs, personally. Also, Xenoblade isn't really a Nintendo franchise. It's exclusive to Nintendo systems, but then again Rhythm Thief was as well, and I wouldn't really call that a Nintendo game.

LordTerminal said:
Rangaman said:
Everything has either been more of the same, with as little effort as possible put into development (Mario 3D World, A Link Between Worlds, Dream Team Bros, Tropical Freeze)
And you completely invalidated everything you said by saying Tropical Freeze has as little effort as possible because that is a fucking lie. Take my advice and crawl back into whatever hole you crawled out of. I read enough elitist hipsterism bullshit on Twitter.
Why don't you calm down and have some kale?

Now, have you actually played TF? The gameplay is identical to that of DKCR. So yes, minimum effort.

At this point I'm convinced you're either a troll, an idiot, a sad, sad individual or any combination of the three. Please stop embarrassing yourself, it's only going to incite the mods.

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
Strazdas said:
inu-kun said:
Then you are wrong. Exclusivity is horrible for the consumers forcing them to purchase multiple devices that for all intends and purposes shouldnt even exist anymore. Innovation in games has nothing to do with it being exclusive or not, especially now when all relevant consoles run exact same architecture as PCs (sorry nintendo, you havent been relevant in a long time).

LordTerminal said:

Absolute horseshpit. Not giving consumers a choice is anti-consumerism. Its as simple as that. There is no point in getting a console. If the only reason you buy it is for exclusives then you are being conned. Why the fuck do you defend conmen?

There is no need to make anti-nintendo propaganda. its already one of the worst companies out there. The company IS a virus. It should be disbanded for its illegal youtube abuse alone.
Uhh, can I spend 300 dollars on a PC that can play the same games as a current console?
That's the tradeoff I get from buying a console, I know that I'm buying a console at or sometimes below the price it cost to make the damn thing, so I'm fine with them keeping some stuff exclusive to let me do that
I'm not saying they are perfect angels or anything, but there are reasons for what they do

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
LordTerminal said:
Snippity snap
You must be new here. You should know that Yahtzee is biased against Nintendo because they never were and never will be the monolithic saints of gaming that all the fantards keep proclaiming them to be. It could also just be a running gag, because he's a COMEDIAN.

Furthermore, I take issue with your points.

1. You clearly don't understand what the word "gimmick" means. The PS2's DVD drive was an upgrade from the CD-ROM format, allowing for a considerable upgrade in disc space, therefore more game content, and the PS2 also happened to be a cheaper alternative to dedicated DVD players at the time of release, and you get to play games with it. Fucking bargain, that is. The PS2 had weaker specifications than the GameCube, correct, but the ability to watch DVD movies on it as well as play games is such an exceptional strong point that this alone killed the GameCube. Nevermind that Sony doesn't fuck with third-party developers, last I checked. Feel free to present evidence against this, however.

2. Mileage will vary. No one should hold reviews up as the gospel and Yahtzee agrees with me on this.

3. This wasn't about Capcom's recent fuck-ups, but their fleeting relationship with Nintendo.

4. You missed the part where Yahtzee said "And IF that's true". Don't quote mine.

5. You don't understand what is anti-consumer and what isn't, and what "elitism" is. When there exists multiple gaming platforms on the market, a developer is only hurting themselves when they refuse to release on multiple systems. It excludes demographics and hurts sales, breeds jealousy among the public and cripples the less financially blessed. By the very definition of the term "elitist", it is those that make software exclusive to one particular set of hardware, not the other way around.

So no, Yahtzee is not an "elitist auteur", he's a comedian, and you don't get to decide what he's fit to review or not. Read a dictionary sometime before you use big words you clearly don't understand. Finally, you're in denial. Stop telling others to "take off the tin foil hat and live in the real world". You sorely need to re-examine your stance on things and perceive actual facts, not spew immature strawman arguments.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
DrownedAmmet said:
Uhh, can I spend 300 dollars on a PC that can play the same games as a current console?
That's the tradeoff I get from buying a console, I know that I'm buying a console at or sometimes below the price it cost to make the damn thing, so I'm fine with them keeping some stuff exclusive to let me do that
I'm not saying they are perfect angels or anything, but there are reasons for what they do
You can, but i would suggest you choose a 500 dolalr PC instead and have far superior experience. And yes the console in some cases will perform better than that 300 dollar PC. It has nothing to do with exclusives however. The console companies get a cut from EVERY game sold. 10 dollars of any game you buy on a console goes to the console manufacturer, no matter who that game is from.

Yes, there are reason for what they do and those reasons are anti-consumer.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
Strazdas said:
DrownedAmmet said:
You can, but i would suggest you choose a 500 dolalr PC instead and have far superior experience. And yes the console in some cases will perform better than that 300 dollar PC. It has nothing to do with exclusives however. The console companies get a cut from EVERY game sold. 10 dollars of any game you buy on a console goes to the console manufacturer, no matter who that game is from.

You do know that Steam does the same thing, as well as every other digital marketplace that exists. Does that mean you'll stop supporting Steam, GOG, and the like for this engagement in "anti-consumer" practices?

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Strazdas said:
DrownedAmmet said:

As much as I dislike the console manufacturers, what kind of argument is that? of course they take a cut.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Transdude1996 said:
Strazdas said:
DrownedAmmet said:

You do know that Steam does the same thing, as well as every other digital marketplace that exists. Does that mean you'll stop supporting Steam, GOG, and the like for this engagement in "anti-consumer" practices?
Not really no. The difference is that Steam and other digital marketplaces take 15% (iOS takes 20%) cut from the sale price. Microsoft and Sony takes a flat 10 dollar fee. This means that on digital marketplaces you can have lower price with proportional cut to the distributor whereas on consoles you end up with most of the game price being the manufacturers fee.

Furthermore, there is a difference in the approaches. MS and Sony takes a cut from every game sold, no matter what form. Steam only takes a cut from games sold via steam. Imagine if Nvidia would take 5 dollars cut for every game you bought because you use an Nvidia GPU. Thats what MS and Sony is doing.

elvor0 said:
As much as I dislike the console manufacturers, what kind of argument is that? of course they take a cut.
So you think it would be fine if Nvidia and AMD took a cut for every game you bought because they manufactured your hardware?

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
Strazdas said:
Transdude1996 said:
Strazdas said:
DrownedAmmet said:

Not really no. The difference is that Steam and other digital marketplaces take 15% (iOS takes 20%) cut from the sale price. Microsoft and Sony takes a flat 10 dollar fee. This means that on digital marketplaces you can have lower price with proportional cut to the distributor whereas on consoles you end up with most of the game price being the manufacturers fee.

Furthermore, there is a difference in the approaches. MS and Sony takes a cut from every game sold, no matter what form. Steam only takes a cut from games sold via steam. Imagine if Nvidia would take 5 dollars cut for every game you bought because you use an Nvidia GPU. Thats what MS and Sony is doing.
Excuse me, but Steam and GOG take a 30% cut [http://www.pcgamer.com/steam-and-gog-take-30-revenue-cut-suggests-fez-creator-phil-fish/].

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Transdude1996 said:
Strazdas said:
Transdude1996 said:
Strazdas said:
DrownedAmmet said:

Excuse me, but Steam and GOG take a 30% cut [http://www.pcgamer.com/steam-and-gog-take-30-revenue-cut-suggests-fez-creator-phil-fish/].
Ah, that is indeed correct, no idea why i though it was 15% when i typed that. My apologies.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Strazdas said:
inu-kun said:

LordTerminal said:

You just backed my case up with that last part. This is all garbage PC elitism. Your master race is the true poison. Making everything run on PC is a terrible idea. PCs require all kinds of high end materials in order for a game to run perfectly and having to buy everything for PC means using up 90% of the harddrive space. It's ridiculous! And what's this I hear about shit games and bought reviews in the 16-bit era? Clearly you did not grow up in such a time. Get bent.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
LordTerminal said:
Strazdas said:
inu-kun said:

LordTerminal said:

You just backed my case up with that last part. This is all garbage PC elitism. Your master race is the true poison. Making everything run on PC is a terrible idea. PCs require all kinds of high end materials in order for a game to run perfectly and having to buy everything for PC means using up 90% of the harddrive space. It's ridiculous! And what's this I hear about shit games and bought reviews in the 16-bit era? Clearly you did not grow up in such a time. Get bent.
I'm pretty sure /you/ didn't grow up in that era either if this is either your attempt at humour or your genuine beliefs. If it is your genuine beliefs, perhaps take in the sheer amount of people laughing at your ridiculous statements and read what they're saying rather than feeding the bug up your arse about PC gaming.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
elvor0 said:
I'm pretty sure /you/ didn't grow up in that era either if this is either your attempt at humour or your genuine beliefs. If it is your genuine beliefs, perhaps take in the sheer amount of people laughing at your ridiculous statements and read what they're saying rather than feeding the bug up your arse about PC gaming.
If by people you mean the cackling single celled embryos that make up this entire PC master race bullcrap because PC gaming is far more anti consumer since you have to buy top end parts to build a PC meant for gaming, each costing way too much money to begin with. On top of that you have more and more people treating games as services or subscriptions or some other scummy business practice to make you constantly pay them over and over again like the horseshit Adobe pulls on Photoshop users these days because apparently, you're not allowed to OWN your purchases anymore. Why would ANY SENSIBLE HUMAN want to wish that upon the industry?!

No. The console market and exclusives must never go obsolete or that's what we'll have to forward to in future. And companies need to stop using PC architecture in there consoles as well. It's part of the reason why the PS4 and the Xbox One suck. Every console this generation has been a let down and I blame people like you! Once again: drop dead.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
LordTerminal said:
elvor0 said:
If by people you mean the cackling single celled embryos that make up this entire PC master race bullcrap because PC gaming is far more anti consumer since you have to buy top end parts to build a PC meant for gaming, each costing way too much money to begin with. On top of that you have more and more people treating games as services or subscriptions or some other scummy business practice to make you constantly pay them over and over again like the horseshit Adobe pulls on Photoshop users these days because apparently, you're not allowed to OWN your purchases anymore. Why would ANY SENSIBLE HUMAN want to wish that upon the industry?!

No. The console market and exclusives must never go obsolete or that's what we'll have to forward to in future. And companies need to stop using PC architecture in there consoles as well. It's part of the reason why the PS4 and the Xbox One suck. Every console this generation has been a let down and I blame people like you! Once again: drop dead.
Okie dokie. You....you carry on. The argument against exclusivity has nothing to do with trying to get rid of consoles or rising one platform above another but you carry on with your insane rambles dude. I don't even know why on earth you bought up PC gaming or started arguing against PC players to begin with.

LordTerminal said:
constantly pay them over and over again
What you mean like Xbox live and PSN multiplayer?

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
LordTerminal said:
Wow, i sincerely hope this is your attenpt at humour. Such statements are aboslutely ludicrous otherwise.

By proving you wrong and explicitly pointing out why you are wrong i backed up none of your statements. I have not once mentioned the "master race". As far as PC elitism goes, whats wrong with choosing superior devices? Elitism means only that a certain person is superior to others. its a compliment.

Everything already runs on a PC. They just lock it down and make a lot of proprietary bullshit and call it a console. PC requires exactly the same materials to build as any other computer. In fact the current consoles literally have chips taken from Tablets and memory taken from PCs.

Yes, it takes a lot of power to run things perfectly, but at least PC gamers CAN run things perfectly. There isnt a single console game that can even run perfectly on its original hardware. So PC already got consoles beat by being the only one with the option. If you want to run games on console (read: shit) quality though, you only need the same hardware which means same price.

Hard drive space is cheap and large nwoadays. The largest game - GTA 5 takes 50 GB. 2000 GB HDD costs 80 dollars. This means that the space taken will cost you 4 dollars. and that is the worst case scenario for HDD storage (SSDs are more expensive) and thats storage you get back when you uninstall a game. ALso note that consoles also require the same exact instalation to hard drives.

Yeah, 16 bit era was full of shit games and bought reviews. I certainly grew up in this era. in fact i was born in it. I have used a Sega Mega Drive (known as Sega Genesis in US) all the way up to 2000.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
Strazdas said:
Yes, it takes a lot of power to run things perfectly, but at least PC gamers CAN run things perfectly. There isnt a single console game that can even run perfectly on its original hardware. So PC already got consoles beat by being the only one with the option. If you want to run games on console (read: shit) quality though, you only need the same hardware which means same price.
Oh, my friend, that is where you are wrong!

My experiences with PC gaming have shown that they are THE worst when it comes to actually playing games. For an overwhelming amount of titles, I've had to waste hours figuring out what magic formula of installed programs, enabled drivers, and GPU control panel configurations are needed just to even get a game running, until, on a few occasions, the info boiled down to "Haha, the your driver is out of date" only to then update it causing my system to crash or have games running in even worse condition. And, this is even true with age old games.

That's actually the main reason why I favor consoles: because I know the games will F***ING work.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Transdude1996 said:
Strazdas said:

My experiences with PC gaming have shown that they are THE worst when it comes to actually playing games. For an overwhelming amount of titles, I've had to waste hours figuring out what magic formula of installed programs, enabled drivers, and GPU control panel configurations are needed just to even get a game running, until, on a few occasions, the info boiled down to "Haha, the your driver is out of date" only to then update it causing my system to crash or have games running in even worse condition. And, this is even true with age old games.

That's actually the main reason why I favor consoles: because I know the games will F***ING work.
Then your experience is not representative of PC gaming. For the vast, vast majority of people all it takes is clicking install on steam/origin/uplay/goggalaxy and then pressing play once it has installed the game. The mere fact that you had to go "enable" drivers shows to me that your system is not configured correctly and that seems to be the reason your are having trouble. Average user (IE, not advanced user) would never need to do that or do control panel configurations.

ANd no, the games will not fucking work on console, IE all the PS3 ports that were unplayable. Heck, after seeing how people play skyrim on PS3 i wanted to drink bleach. Thank god i have no such problems.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
Strazdas said:
Transdude1996 said:
Strazdas said:

Then your experience is not representative of PC gaming. For the vast, vast majority of people all it takes is clicking install on steam/origin/uplay/goggalaxy and then pressing play once it has installed the game. The mere fact that you had to go "enable" drivers shows to me that your system is not configured correctly and that seems to be the reason your are having trouble. Average user (IE, not advanced user) would never need to do that or do control panel configurations.

ANd no, the games will not fucking work on console, IE all the PS3 ports that were unplayable. Heck, after seeing how people play skyrim on PS3 i wanted to drink bleach. Thank god i have no such problems.
Tell me, how am I suppose to "properly configure" my computer when I've had to reinstall Windows on a number of occasion, and, each time, I've followed the instructions exactly on how to install everything, only to have the rug pulled out a month later after an update screws up my system?

Also, how many suckers were posting on forums, since Day 1, tricks and fixes on how to make games such as Arkham Knight, Deadly Premonition, FFXIII, and Assassin's Creed: Unity even become playable on more than capable hardware?

As for Skyrim, if you're going to use that as an example, how many mods did you apply before you even considered the game playable?

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Transdude1996 said:
Tell me, how am I suppose to "properly configure" my computer when I've had to reinstall Windows on a number of occasion, and, each time, I've followed the instructions exactly on how to install everything, only to have the rug pulled out a month later after an update screws up my system?

Also, how many suckers were posting on forums, since Day 1, tricks and fixes on how to make games such as Arkham Knight, Deadly Premonition, FFXIII, and Assassin's Creed: Unity even become playable on more than capable hardware?

As for Skyrim, if you're going to use that as an example, how many mods did you apply before you even considered the game playable?
Well i dont know what are you doing with your system but it certainly isnt working. Perhaps its hardware failure you are experiencing instead?

Arkham Knight cannot become playable nor can Deadly Premonition. They are broken ports that developers should be hung for (figuratively). I am not familiar with woes of FF 13 but as far as Assassins creed goes there was no fix on day 1. The only "fix" possible is to introduce a multithread drawcall rendering for the game, because that was what was causing performance problems and that only became possible with DX12/Vulcan (to an extent, mantle too but AC doesnt support mantle). Do note that for all the games you listed all those problems were also present for the console version.

I only needed to install 1 mod for skyrim, the one that fixes the UI from absolutely horrible trash designed for consoles to a proper UI.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Strazdas said:
LordTerminal said:
Wow, i sincerely hope this is your attenpt at humour. Such statements are aboslutely ludicrous otherwise.

By proving you wrong and explicitly pointing out why you are wrong i backed up none of your statements. I have not once mentioned the "master race". As far as PC elitism goes, whats wrong with choosing superior devices? Elitism means only that a certain person is superior to others. its a compliment.

Everything already runs on a PC. They just lock it down and make a lot of proprietary bullshit and call it a console. PC requires exactly the same materials to build as any other computer. In fact the current consoles literally have chips taken from Tablets and memory taken from PCs.

Hard drive space is cheap and large nwoadays. The largest game - GTA 5 takes 50 GB. 2000 GB HDD costs 80 dollars. This means that the space taken will cost you 4 dollars. and that is the worst case scenario for HDD storage (SSDs are more expensive) and thats storage you get back when you uninstall a game. ALso note that consoles also require the same exact instalation to hard drives.

Yeah, 16 bit era was full of shit games and bought reviews. I certainly grew up in this era. in fact i was born in it. I have used a Sega Mega Drive (known as Sega Genesis in US) all the way up to 2000.
Everything you just said is a complete and utter lie. The only PCs where that is true are AlienWare PCs and those are expensive as fuck. Consoles are far more efficient and superior whether you want to admit it or not. PCs are not the same price as consoles. You have to buy the PC, a controller because god forbid you play anything on a keyboard, the right graphics card, the right sound card, a high end processor, ect. All of which cost at least $100 minimum.

And why should I ramp up all that power and make my energy bill that much more expensive when I can buy a more energy efficient console to get the same experience? And recent PC releases of games have been far more inferior to the console versions lately. Remember the whole Arkham Knight fiasco? You clearly have no idea what you're talking about so stop telling lies.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
LordTerminal said:
Everything you just said is a complete and utter lie. The only PCs where that is true are AlienWare PCs and those are expensive as fuck. Consoles are far more efficient and superior whether you want to admit it or not. PCs are not the same price as consoles. You have to buy the PC, a controller because god forbid you play anything on a keyboard, the right graphics card, the right sound card, a high end processor, ect. All of which cost at least $100 minimum.

And why should I ramp up all that power and make my energy bill that much more expensive when I can buy a more energy efficient console to get the same experience? And recent PC releases of games have been far more inferior to the console versions lately. Remember the whole Arkham Knight fiasco? You clearly have no idea what you're talking about so stop telling lies.
Alienware is overpriced crap. Forget about it completely. Consoles are crap in theor own right and they have NEVER been superior, altrough there was a time in the past when they were more efficient, but not for a decade or so anymore.

The PROPER way to play games is with a mouse and keyboard. controllers are for these who are incapable of playing them properly. If you want to buy a controller thats ON YOU. If you buy a PC you already have a grapthis card and a processor. Noone uses sound cards for gaming anymore. They are solely for audio developers nowadays. And yeah, a GPU and a CPU will cost you more than 100 dollars, compared to 500 for a console.

You mean weaker, not energy efficient. If you cannot spare 5 dollars on electricity to play games without bully laggy mess then you are just scamming yourself.

Yeah, Arkham knight was recalled and everyone refunded. Meanwhile the console games that are literally unplayable are still being sold.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
LordTerminal said:
You clearly have no idea what you're talking about so stop telling lies.
Do you do kids parties? Because I am genuinely thinking of hiring you if you do.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Strazdas said:
LordTerminal said:

The PROPER way to play games is with a mouse and keyboard. controllers are for these who are incapable of playing them properly.
The minute you said that you officially lost all credibility and revealed yourself to be a filthy PC elitist poison.