Zero Punctuation: Capcom Five

maximalist566

Jan 10, 2012
Funny thing is, there is still a Capcom franchise that's pretty much exclusive to Nintendo consoles. That's Ace Attorney - only been out on DS, Wii and 3DS as far as I remember. And it's doing pretty good there. (Yes, I know that there are iPad versions as well, but I don't really count it as a "gaming platform")

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
maximalist566 said:
Funny thing is, there is still a Capcom franchise that's pretty much exclusive to Nintendo consoles. That's Ace Attorney - only been out on DS, Wii and 3DS as far as I remember. And it's doing pretty good there. (Yes, I know that there are iPad versions as well, but I don't really count it as a "gaming platform")
Ah, yes, I love that franchise.

Though that's probably due to that being a franchise that you spend 70 % of the time reading and is therefore best suited to handhelds. And in the handheld department Nintendo has always been king.

Though I hope they'll some day release a PC port, since that's apparently a lucrative platform nowadays. But from what I've understood Ace Attorney is A LOT more popular in Japan than abroad, and the Japanese don't really play on PCs so I doubt we'll see that happen.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Uh Yatzhee the Xbox is techincally the more powerful than the Gamecube during that time.

Its ranked like this:

Xbox > Gamecube > PS2.

And I can tell some Xbox games have increadibly gorgeous graphics that outshines the other consoles.

Ninja Gaiden 1, Halo 2, Jade Empire, Conker's Bad Fur Day looked even better than Star Fox Adventures, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory?

THe Xbox even could play games that were made for the PC like Rainbow Six and Doom 3 and even fuckin Morrowind. (Albiet the latter with increadibly shitty framerate and draw distance.)

The Dead Singer

Feb 19, 2014
If it makes you feel any better Yahtzee, we may or may not be approaching an end, or at least a severe tone down of exclusivities, as a month or two ago someone asked a Microsoft representatitve if they were willing to partner up and create something with Sony and they said they'd be open to it, with Sony replying the same. About fucking time. Fingers crossed for it to not be another Sony-Nintendo fiasco (Unless it ends up creating another "Ps1", in which case it's a win-win)

maximalist566

Jan 10, 2012
Bedinsis said:
maximalist566 said:
Ah, yes, I love that franchise.

Though that's probably due to that being a franchise that you spend 70 % of the time reading and is therefore best suited to handhelds. And in the handheld department Nintendo has always been king.

Though I hope they'll some day release a PC port, since that's apparently a lucrative platform nowadays. But from what I've understood Ace Attorney is A LOT more popular in Japan than abroad, and the Japanese don't really play on PCs so I doubt we'll see that happen.
Capcom refusing to bring physical copies of the last games to EU/US doesn't help their popularity. And about PC - I think Nintendo won't allow it, to be honest. Danganronpa was brought to PC despite being a PS Vita-only game that is much more popular in Japan than other world.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Well they aren't slutty enough to let us PC gamer folks a go on their famous Monster Hunter.

jRPG Waifu Pimping Simulator: Dark Arisen was a good start atleast.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Well this was different, but interesting nonetheless. I thought P.N. 03 was decent, but I get why others didn't like it. Nintendo indeed seems to be more clueless now then ever, given they've even run out of ideas for Mario(a 60 dollar level editor? no thanks!) and despite the NX being only five months away, we still barely know a damn thing about it, and I don't see Zelda being enough to sell the system. March is a strange time to launch a major console, so i'd be very surprised if it does any better then the Wii U.

Rawbeard

Jan 28, 2010
someone didn't have anything to review this week. either way, why do I just now learn RE4 was on the PS2 while I had a PS2? not cool, not cool at all.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
And then, interestingly, Capcom's semi-annual money shitting machine Monster Hunter has made a swift turnaround from being a Sony exclusive to being an almost complete Nintendo exclusive once they worked out how to sell it to western audiences, although that may change if Sony can make a handheld that people outside of Japan actually buy.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
I'm still holding out for a retro review of RE4. Surprised he hasn't done one already.
What's there to say?! Its awesome, Leon is a dork, Luis is a sexy man, boing boing, 'your hand comes off?', LEEEOONN!, bang bang, woof.
There. That's RE4 in a nutshell.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
Well, Color Splash is next week so Yahtzee can use his Wii U for the last time since it's the last major game. I am expecting his next one to be the best review of recently as the year has been kind of slow even before E3 and that hadn't given him enough material.

I honestly appreciate Capcom's habit of shouting "exclusive!!!" and then backing away quickly, I just wish the other developers did the same with Square Enix having to keep their mouths shut for 1 year about Rise of the Tomb Raider and FromSoftware not wanting to port Bloodborne to anything less than the PS4 (not even PC?!)

For Yahtzee's next gaming history, he should talk about Conspiracy Entertainment, the company that took shovelware to the next level.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Rawbeard said:
someone didn't have anything to review this week. either way, why do I just now learn RE4 was on the PS2 while I had a PS2? not cool, not cool at all.
If it is of any conselation, it was a rather terrible port of the GC version.
To an extend the same for Killer 7, but that game just had framerate issues and terribly long loading times on the PS2.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Samtemdo8 said:
Uh Yatzhee the Xbox is techincally the more powerful than the Gamecube during that time.

Its ranked like this:

Xbox > Gamecube > PS2.

And I can tell some Xbox games have increadibly gorgeous graphics that outshines the other consoles.

Ninja Gaiden 1, Halo 2, Jade Empire, Conker's Bad Fur Day looked even better than Star Fox Adventures, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory?

THe Xbox even could play games that were made for the PC like Rainbow Six and Doom 3 and even fuckin Morrowind. (Albiet the latter with increadibly shitty framerate and draw distance.)
This. Despite never owning the original XBOX, I knew it was the most powerful graphically compared to the GameCube & PS2. Playing them at a friends, and a couple of game stores made me realize that early on.

Speaking of Capcom, history would repeat itself again. Devil May Cry 4 & FFXIII (Sqaure Enix, I know) were supposed to be PS3 exclusives, but once the price for the system was announced ($599.99 US Dollars!); both companies backed out at the last minute and made them mutliplatform. The controversy was huge! Capcom fans were pissed. DMC fans were pissed. Square fans were pissed. Sony fans were pissed. Most of all, a majority of them were fans of one, the other, or all. Before that time, those games were exclusive to Sony consoles. I know main series Final Fantasy games were exclusive to Nintendo consoles at first, but that changed during the 5th generation consoles when a lot of 3rd party developers jumped to Sony.

DMC4 would later get a PC port and on Android/ISO There was a PC port of DMC3, but it was horrible, and took many years of fan made patches to make it playable.. The first three games were later ported to PS3 & 360, something a lot of people, myself included, thought to be impossible. To prove my point Dead Rising 3 & 4 is getting ported to PS4 later next year.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Im just pissed that the new Streetfighter managed to be PC/Sony only.

Couldnt they back track on that one as well? Now Im waiting on Tekken 7 for my fist to face fix.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Hearing that jingle again put a mile-wide smile on my face. You know, it's possible that Nintendo and Capcom's silliness made Suda51 shout, "That's it! I'm starting my own game dev studio! With blackjack! And hookers!" And you know he's quirky enough to follow through on all those promises.
Also, I thought Nintendo stuck to cartridges on the N64 and mini-discs for the GameCube because it was supposed to make game piracy harder.
Igor-Rowan said:
Well, Color Splash is next week so Yahtzee can use his Wii U for the last time since it's the last major game. I am expecting his next one to be the best review of recently as the year has been kind of slow even before E3 and that hadn't given him enough material.

I honestly appreciate Capcom's habit of shouting "exclusive!!!" and then backing away quickly, I just wish the other developers did the same with Square Enix having to keep their mouths shut for 1 year about Rise of the Tomb Raider and FromSoftware not wanting to port Bloodborne to anything less than the PS4 (not even PC?!)

For Yahtzee's next gaming history, he should talk about Conspiracy Entertainment, the company that took shovelware to the next level.
The jokes for them will write themselves.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
09philj said:
And then, interestingly, Capcom's semi-annual money shitting machine Monster Hunter has made a swift turnaround from being a Sony exclusive to being an almost complete Nintendo exclusive once they worked out how to sell it to western audiences, although that may change if Sony can make a handheld that people outside of Japan actually buy.
Monster Hunter's main audience is in Japan. It was never all that popular in the West.

While Capcom dragged it feet with regards to putting Monster Hunter on a home console like the PS3/360 ... the Souls series pretty much stole the hard-as-nails niche from under their noses.

Jan 27, 2011
Am I the only one who instantly grinned as soon as I heard the little song at the start? It's been WAY too long since we've had one of these! XD

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
Can't wait for the NX to finally be revealed, only for all third parties other than Ubisoft (who lies about it anyways) to shakily cough and look around nervously when asked if they're making games for it.