Zero Punctuation: Capcom Five

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
Darth_Payn said:
Also, I thought Nintendo stuck to cartridges on the N64 and mini-discs for the GameCube because it was supposed to make game piracy harder.
They did, but Sony's marketing turned their system into a glorified DVD player for half the price of one and the Xbox went on to set the standard for online console gaming, so Nintendo's only concern at the time was one thig that led to the GameCube's chain reaction of failure.

Darth_Payn said:
The jokes for them will write themselves.
I remember that time when shovelware was becoming relatively tame compared to the NES days, then these guys come along to bring the worst this industry has to offer: destroying the Wii's reputations, setting (lack of) standards that would later multiply in the mobile market and paving the way for asset flipping, years before Steam's Early access.

Groverfield

Jul 4, 2011
I don't remember PN03 being that bad... a bit easy sure, and definitely wouldn't fly in today's market unless it had an oversensitive director who insulted anyone who didn't like the game.

Delicious Anathema

Aug 25, 2009
At least Resident Evil remake and Resident Evil 0 remained exclusives for quite a while. At least Capcom tried to put something out on the freaking GC, I have no fondness for Nintendo's own games for that console, except maybe Luigi's Mansion.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
The thing about exclusives is, developers like them because it means they only have to learn how to develop for one platform. And if console manufacturers are willing to throw in some free money for it, then why not. Exclusives will only go away when we no longer have separate platforms, which in my opinion cannot happen soon enough. I may have brought this up before, but imagine a world where Betamax and HD-DVD never went away and everyone was expected to own one of each type of player in order to watch every movie. Now imagine instead of just two dueling formats, there are three, plus another that only works on computers and another that only works on portable devices and and and

Sadly, unless capitalism completely ceases to exist and all industries become monopolized and nationalized, the only way we'll ever see an end to the platform wars is if every manufacturer but one goes out of business or they all merge or some other cataclysmic event that would lead to an even less consumer-friendly industry than we have now.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
The best version of RE4 was still on the Wii. Aiming with the wiimote is just so damn natural compared to the massive awkwardness that is thumbstick controlled crosshairs

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Tune in to next week's Let's Drown Out Lawn Clippings and Dead Wasps Simulator as featured on The Best of Steam Greenlight.

Capcom may not be the juggernaut it used to be, but it is still relevant and cashes in on its IPs and nostalgia in a way that is not quite denigrating. Not yet anyway. Apart from quietly euthanizing the Mega Man multiverse which is their biggest wtf move for many to date.

Team Ico is probably the least relevant dev team I can think of that are technically still making a game.

Konami is like someone who decided to treat their advanced rabies by getting high on bath salts, and that is AFTER Kojima left with his own abberant miasma. I don't even know how to internalize their words and deeds as coming from sapient life sometimes.

Bizarrely I think Capcom has done a better job of making Zelda games than Nintendo has since Majora's Mask. Maybe they should let them try their hands at Metroid.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
bjj hero said:
Im just pissed that the new Streetfighter managed to be PC/Sony only.

Couldnt they back track on that one as well?
I suspect MS was trying to push it to being a UWP exclusive at the time. And Capcom remembered all to well how MS exclusivity paid off last time...

Never say never, but dont expect it before SF5 gets a title update. If it gets a title update.

Atratzu

Aug 14, 2016
Oh capcom, how you've fallen, not as far as Nintendo, but fallen none the less. Actually Rare has fallen farther then both of them, and then there's Sonic... Wow, someone take my childhood outback and put it of it's misery, it shouldn't continue on like a zombie like it has been.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
It's nice to hear that jingle again, maybe next time we could look at the failures of Konami, or is that beating a dead horse? Still looking forward to a possible RE4 retro review though.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
I'm still holding out for a retro review of RE4. Surprised he hasn't done one already.
That and Hitman: Blood Money. They both have things you can make fun of and stuff that's really good, making them ideal for retro reviews.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
Canadamus Prime said:
Ironically the Gamecube is one of my favorite consoles.
I used to think the same until I got a Dreamcast.

Speaking of which, I think that's the console that started Capcom's weariness of exclusivity meanwhile the Gamecube was the one that cemented it in. After porting over Dino Crisis, RE2 & 3, and a few of their fighting titles, the Dreamcast became Capcom's home for the next two years with hits like their Capcom VS. series and RE: Code Veronica. And, then to have the console die on them seems to have left a very deep wound that they still very much remember.

By the way, there are two other things I want to mention. One, it's come out that RE7 is PSVR exclusive only for the first year, so "Ha-ha Sony" to put it one way. And, two, the NES images Yahtzee used are images of the NES Mini.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
LordTerminal said:
Couples things here: One, the GC failed because NoJ couldn't realize that Nintendo, as a company, wasn't the head of the game industry anymore.

Two, Darkstalkers is just a reskin of Street Fighter.

Three, what about the recent talks of DMC5, the recently releases of Monster Hunter, Ace Attorney, and Strider, and the development of Deep Down?

Four, if they were planning to include him, why is there no random file on the Brawl disc for Mega Man like there is for Mewtwo, Dr. Mario, Dixie Kong, or Toon Sheik(?), or even any talk of possibly including him like there was with Pac-Man?

crimsonshrouds

Mar 23, 2009
LordTerminal said:
we got a Nintendo fan boy over here. Just because somebody doesn't suck nintendo's cock, does not equate to anti-nintendo bias. The missing DVD player hurt nintendo, then why didn't they implement that? Not only did nintendo kneecap themselves with third-party support, they couldn't even compete with Sony on what their console could do. Not only did you help yahtzee's point you showed your fanboy colours. You don't think artificially restricting access to what games the consumer can buy is anti-consumer? But a critic pointing out why a console couldn't compete in the market is anti-nintendo bias? The whole smash brothers brawl thing was a rumor as stated in the video. It was not a rumor yahtzee made up. I heard that rumor a long time ago and had to with japan's very petty and fucked up corporate culture. Your entire post is just white knighting for a massive corporation who sees you as nothing more than a wallet with legs.

The Dead Singer

Feb 19, 2014
Also, if there's anything that we can takeaway from PN03, is that it at least partially influenced Vanquish. That alone is enough reason to appreciate it at least a tiny bit.