Zero Punctuation: Catherine

Daddy Go Bot

Aug 14, 2008
NinjaDeathSlap said:
I think Vincent may even surpass Kratos and Duke Nukem in his quest to become the most unlikable protagonist ever.
Implying Kratos and Duke Nukem are unlikable characters.

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
I agree with what he said. He seems to have the exact same opinion as I do with this game. That's a first...

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Considering his (very appropriate) diagram of the niche market this game was made for, I was surprised that he didn't shred the game apart.

Hmm...as a fan of anime/j-rpgs, I admit I do realize that angst is a major component in some of these titles. One of these days, I'm going to have to figure out why Asians LUVA their angst.

With the Koreans, it's the Korean Dramas (some girl always has cancer, etc.)
Japanese --> Anime/rpgs
Chinese ---> Sob Story series. Crying women, raging/screaming guys. Some poor boy raising his sister, and then loses an arm, and then yadda yadda WHAT?!

OK I'm just throwing out random images that come to my head when said groups are brought up. But yeah, it's -so- true.

I'm Asian btw, so no "you racist!" k? :)

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Now say it in a wobbly voice.

OT: Good episode. Also, are you sure that there wasn't also a lot of yelling along with the angst in that anime?

ManInRed

May 16, 2010
You thought this game was too hard? It's got an easy and super easy mode, not to mention continues that spawn after every check point (which basically means infinite lives), and a undo button.

Also, depending on what ending your going for (every scene dialogue base on meter system) he does end up explaining to Cathrine that he has a girlfriend, and it doesn't help (Cathrine is crazy).

sazzrah

Dec 21, 2008
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
"[The karma system] is supposed to go all one way or all the other or you'll just get a shit ending otherwise."
Actually, that's not the case. In fact, you achieve arguably the best ending by keeping the karma meter in the middle. I decided to be 100% brutally honest in my playthrough to see what would happen and my meter just hovered around the middle throughout the game. The ending I got is called 'true freedom' and once I Youtubed the other endings I decided I'd hit the nail on the head first time already!! If you don't mind having one of the 8 endings spoiled, then check out the true freedom ending on Youtube... I think you'll agree it's the best outcome for Vincent.

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
werewolfsfury said:
actually at one point Vincent does get enough courage to talk to Catherine about Katherine and... it doesn't end well.
Poor Vincent. Try to be honest, to discuss the issues at hand, bad monkey.

Richfeet

Jul 28, 2011
Catherine: Challenging but fun puzzle platform game, cliche romance story. Reminds me of Obsessed(2009). The sheep are more interesting than women. This is a personal opinion. Now if you'll excuse me, I be reading the thrilling tale of Archie andrews. Good day.

CerealKiller214

Apr 23, 2011
He said that you either need to be fully towards commitment or fully towards freedom but that actually isn't true. If you always stay in the middle you will get the 'True Freedom' Ending which ends with Vincent being left by both K/Catherines but also having true freedom and becoming rich.
Well that endingds just shouts, "Fuck women! You still got your bros" directly in your face.

rickicker

Oct 26, 2010
Oh Yahtzee, you self-proclaimed pinnacle of manhood, you! Don't you know that cunty bitches run this world? Beyonce even proclaimed it proudly, the dyke!

I like Catherine or Katherine (or Qatherine or AHSMMMMGHGWQJJStherine with four Ms and a silent Q) because it is a strong statement on the "whipped males" topic, in which the game drops its pants and swinging its package freely in the air while exclaiming, "See what happens when your quest for pussy gets the better of you?" It's uncomfortable to watch, and even more uncomfortable to admit: we are a generation of men raised by women who are conditioned to bow down to the almighty pussy, and there is nothing we can do about it.

Okay feminist, you may now label me as a "chauvinist pig" and nail me on the cross by the dick. Here are your hammers and stakes. XD

Cephei Mordred

Jul 23, 2011
I imagine he said it's misogynistic because it portrays men as having only two choices: psycho ***** girlfriend/wife or humorless controlling girlfriend/wife.

Also, rick, who says it's women doing all that? I'm sure there are more than a few women who play into the sainted narrative we speak about women, but I'd say it's just as much, if not more, male influence that says we should go on a mad quest to fuck every woman in the world.

That's really one of the big problems with both genders...we see the other gender as some magical 'other,' that has the power to either save our souls or damn them.

Men, you have the madonna/whore complex, which has quite a few definitions but for me it manifests as "You're either pure or a whore," and I don't mean pure in terms of sexual partners either.

Women, you have the whole "Romance novel lead" vs. "Bastard boyfriend/husband" dynamic going. Men are either perfect knights in shining armor or they are evil personified.

Am I saying that everyone thinks this way? Yes. It seems only natural that we should think of our own gender as the normal, mundane creatures of the world, and the other as either angels or demons.

However, normal people can, and do, find middle ground to see that it's NOT always this way and thus find a mate who falls between the two options.

What we need to do is resolve to find the same middle ground.

notimeforlulz

Mar 18, 2011
Poppa-san working all day to earn money for his wife and children, children-chan going to school to earn good grades, and momma-san sitting at home all day supporting poppa-san and children-chan in carrying out thier pointless, useless and unhappy lives with dinner and laundry; is supposedly a key tenet of japanese culture.

So... The game could possibly be about choosing to be Japanese or not.. Or course the western society of choice of "have fun, leave it to the creditors to pay" is shown in a bit of a negative irresponsible light...

ScrubberDucky

Feb 17, 2011
Holy fucking christ, Yahtzee. You're supposed to reach a high then quickly go downhill from there. You hit your high and now you keep going up. I thought after the The Cartel review, you couldn't get much better.