Zero Punctuation: Catherine

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
Persona took place in a dream?

Persona 4 took place in an alternate dimension, parallel to our own, where people's thoughts gathered, while 3 took place in a Dark Hour, a sec of time that stood still and only thoughts that had something about them could enter. Yet im trying to get facts though a show that is meant for comedy and rages on points he thinks will be funny.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
This is the most funniest one yet! Not only did you added a new image (grinding your teeth and anime eyes) but that snort with us having a relation and the metaphor at the end were too funny! Oh and good review and you liked it (well mostly).
Agreed. That snort and the picture of the blow up doll and the fat guy made me burst out laughing. This is the greatest one in a long time and that is saying something since I love all of his reviews.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
Jamielordofgingers said:
Ok, I caught most of the anime references, but I really want to know what show he's talking about with the guy who missed his one shot.
I thought it was Trigun.

kjrubberducky

Dec 21, 2008
The Venn diagram is incorrect; the third circle for people who like painful block puzzles is a subset of people who like block puzzles, and therefore should be completely inside the second circle but still overlapping the first, not merely overlapping both circles at the edges.

Just thought you should know.

Nenad

Mar 16, 2009
Cavouku said:
Nenad said:
Tharticus said:
I enjoyed the game. But yeah, Vincent is a tool. It does feel like an animu shows that come every season.
Maybe that was the point? People are flawed.
It's true, and there are people who are tools, so it's interesting to play as one, but I can see his point, it's hard to care about someone who looks terribly pathetic, and is being dragged around all the time. Especially in a game, where you as the player feel like you're the one driving the story, and making the choices, and then you get stuck playing as someone who's to pathetic to do so, or at least it feels that way.

It's like tasting something really really bitter. You know you have to taste it at some point, and the world's better off with the taste, but if you don't like bitter, it's just going to leave a bad taste in your mouth, no matter how many vitamins it has.
Well, I just thought, maybe we all can learn something from him?
Although, I understand if you just don't like it.

Cavouku

Mar 14, 2008
Nenad said:
Well, I just thought, maybe we all can learn something from him?
Although, I understand if you just don't like it.
I do agree, we could probably learn something from Vincent. I don't even think Catherine's a bad game or anything, and the characters, although somewhat archetypal, do at least seem fleshed out into close-enough-to-human.

It's just a niche game. Not a lot of people like playing a tool, but I think it's better that this game got made, and at least made with some dedication.

Though I do think the game could be significantly better with the addition of one scene that depicts one of Vincent's buddies slamming his head onto the table repeatedly, while carefully explaining to him why he's such a pussy.

ACE1918

Oct 4, 2010
I for one am waiting to see if he ends up doing a review on Tropico 4. That would be awesome!

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
Brad Shepard said:
Persona took place in a dream?

Persona 4 took place in an alternate dimension, parallel to our own, where people's thoughts gathered, while 3 took place in a Dark Hour, a sec of time that stood still and only thoughts that had something about them could enter. Yet im trying to get facts though a show that is meant for comedy and rages on points he thinks will be funny.
I wondered when someone was going to complain about that.

KingKamor

Jul 8, 2008
I didn't expect Yahtzee to like it even in the slightest, but seriously, people.

Don't.
Let.
Internet.
Personalities.
Shape.
Your.
Own.
Opinions.

Sweet Lord, does it piss me off when someone takes everything that Yahtzee says so literally that they simply don't buy any game that HE deems to be sub-par. Think for yourselves you goddamn sheep!

Wait...

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Dfskelleton said:
That final joke was hilarious. I don't intend to play this, or any Atlus game, in the forseeable future. I don't enjoy Anime, and that's probably the biggest factor.
I don't like anime either, but I enjoy this game. Vincent is a wuss and a tool...but that's kind of the point.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
actually at one point Vincent does get enough courage to talk to Catherine about Katherine and... it doesn't end well.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
AxelxGabriel said:
Thank you Yahtzee! Once again you make my day by not only giving theblind fanboys who claim this game is good with a good helping of truth, but go forth to describe why SOOOOOOOO many Anime's are such god-awful crap.

Seriously Japan. Stop it. It ain't funny anymore
It's funny because it's not true, theblind fanboys are actually correct and you're just fighting a lost battle trying to say otherwise.

Treaos Serrare

Aug 19, 2009
I am honestly surprised Yahtzee didn't tear into this game, I have heard a lot of people ***** about it(mostly about the block edge notification). I enjoyed the game myself but I do agree with Yahtzee that it's not worth a second play through, hell I traded my copy in towards Deus Ex

elbowlick

Jul 1, 2009
Fangobra said:
That's a simile, Yahtzee, not a metaphor.
No, it's a metaphor. Similes state that they're similiar, using terms like..."like". It was "like men are all directionless tidal waves" not "men are all like directional tidal waves".

Anyway, I hated this game. I'd probably like it more if it had more variety or if the story was good (the thing that it was relying on in the first place). I didn't mind faffing about and talking to people at the bar, for a while I was interested in what was going on. At least until we're introduced to Thomas Mutton (really?).
The gameplay itself feels more suited to an iPod game or something, since it's essentially the same thing repeated ad nauseum. I even kind of liked the climbing sheep imagery until they thought it wasn't obvious enough and pretty much explained it. Maybe if they did something else related to climbing every nightmare. Yeah, I don't hate the gameplay because it's so different, I hate it because it's pretty much the same all the time.
I also find it funny that Japanese developers felt the need to base a game with this concept in (presumably) in America. Well, maybe it's because of the over-thirty thing since there anyone over 25 is already too old to get married.
Yeah, the art design was nice, the music wasn't bad, and I liked Vincent's friends but all the other characters were just...bleh. Katherine was an unpleasant *****, and one of the other characters hinted that she might've been sleeping around and wasn't sure who the real father was.
Then it turned out she was pregnant
and it felt like trying to get with her was a wasted effort. Catherine seemed to show up in Vincents apartment regardless if he asked her to come, so it's kind of weird that a) he isn't weirded out by that at all and b) is given shit about cheating even if he had nothing to do with it. Catherine would've done the same thing even if he was forward about his relationship so w/e. The big plot twist is almost as wierd and stupid as the butt monster and it ends it all with South Park style speech.
All this hate coming from an anime fan. Weird.

ProjectTrinity

Apr 29, 2010
Strife2GFAQs said:
Good, now we don't have to hear "REVIEW IT!" every week. I get the sense Yahtzee watches enough anime to get the idea, but still hate the tropes. Vincent was ineffectual. I bet you this could have been solved in five seconds with a flat "I had feelings for someone else." The game skirted this issue in a supremely ****** up way, extending the drama. I'll give Atlus this though: they know their audience. Stupid, insecure teenage or middle aged men who like seeing implied nudity...and butt monsters.
And you sure know how to cut a game short by about 20 hours while sounding like you have an amazingly...open...mind. Actually, nudity is a con for me, but I do like Shoji!

Nenad

Mar 16, 2009
Cavouku said:
I do agree, we could probably learn something from Vincent. I don't even think Catherine's a bad game or anything, and the characters, although somewhat archetypal, do at least seem fleshed out into close-enough-to-human.

It's just a niche game. Not a lot of people like playing a tool, but I think it's better that this game got made, and at least made with some dedication.

Though I do think the game could be significantly better with the addition of one scene that depicts one of Vincent's buddies slamming his head onto the table repeatedly, while carefully explaining to him why he's such a pussy.
I agree too with you. I'd just like to add that it's easier to see other peoples' mistakes than your own.