Zero Punctuation: Condemned 2: Bloodshot

Eleo

Apr 16, 2008
The sonic devices are killing the birds and melting people's brains, yet you don't see anything like those devices in the first game, so it actually made me wonder if the writer(s) knew that that was the reason when the first game's plot was written. That said I was happy they explained it in some fashion. How is leaving something completely unexplained a good thing?

Other than that, "a cult did it" was pretty much what Condemned 1 ended with, I don't see why them expanding on that is bad, especially since Condemned 2 opened up a lot of other mysteries, like the tar-related hallucinations and what not. I was actually happy Condemned 2 answered a lot a questions because the first game left open a dozen mysteries in a very cryptic, LOST-esque fashion.

By answering questions the writers show that they aren't just pulling random creepy ideas out of their asses and are going somewhere with things.

The idea that you had superhuman abilities didn't bother me either because, again, they set that up in Condemned 1 when they revealed you had clairvoyant senses and higher than normal bone density.

VMerken

Sep 12, 2007
Wow, I'm going to take Yahtzee's advice to heart this time. Been pondering all week whether or not to get it (especially since the first game was so good), but now I know it's necessary to wait until it's in the bargain bins.

Informative and witty. Zero Punctuation.

?

JeebusOwnsYou

Apr 16, 2008
Eleo said:
The idea that you had superhuman abilities didn't bother me either because, again, they set that up in Condemned 1 when they revealed you had clairvoyant senses and higher than normal bone density.
I have friends who have higher than normal bone density and also appear to have a connection with the spirit world around us.

I have yet to see any advancements on superhuman powers from them.

Just saying.

DarthTirith

Nov 2, 2007
Best ZP so far. You brought up one of my fav games (Indigo) and ripped it for all its worth. I hated that it all went tits up in the middle. ZP shirts? Maybe..

noxteryn

Apr 16, 2008
The "Cult Explanation" is retarded indeed. When I was half-way through the first game, I was convinced that Ethan Thomas was in fact the serial killer! It would be awesome if that eventually turn out to be the case, because this theory actually makes sense.

Think about it: Who killed those two cops in the beginning? You did, and then threw yourself out the window, and now the police is chasing you. The residents of the city going insane? No, you're the one who is insane, and attacking people for no reason. Why do the enemies get more and more monstrous-like? Because your derangement gets worse and worse, and you see monsters instead of ordinary people. Why doesn't anyone else except you pay any attention to the hoards of zombies and monsters? Because only you can see them. I could go on and on about how this theory is THE best explanation, but I don't want to bore you.

Keep "Cult Explanations" out of games, please. They suck.

cutekittenkyti

Dec 12, 2007
A transcript

(with a new exciting mini-game, spot all the errors I made because I'm a recluse)

Condemned 2: Bloodshot

Being British middle class and whiter then a snowman with a bukaky fetish, I?m no stranger to cultural guilt and have ambivalent feelings towards the homeless. On the one hand they?re obviously all tragic victims of an uncaring society, but on the other hand, they?re also tragic victims who smell and shout at me in the street. So I admit to feeling a bit guilty about looking forward to Sega?s newest working class bludgeoning simulator. But maybe it?s possible to worry too much about this sort of thing (while you?re caving in a teenage runaway?s skull with a bit of old pipe). Thankfully the guilt is assuaged this time around by the main character himself being homeless rather then a squeaky clean federal agent. Thus making the action seem more like a series of entertaining bum fights then a class war.

Since the intensity splattering scream fest that was Condemned, main character Ethan Thomas has gone to the Sam Fisher school of emo haircut transients and become a liquored up broken bottle street fighter. But all is not well in whatever-the-hell-city-this-is-ville. Everyone below the seeds who demographic has suddenly gone what is medically known as bad shit bonkers and have taken to the streets to twat each other with sticks. And then there?s the serial killer running around knocking off people who actually matter. As the one remaining competent individual on Earth, Ethan is reluctantly called back into action. By that I mean set loose in a succession of ruined buildings armed only with a bollard and a bladder full of Wild Irish Rose.

The first Condemned was an underappreciated gem, featuring a stark portrayal of society?s very lowest rung that filled my pants with unrelenting grit and terrified wee. It?s the rare first person game that emphasizes melee combat and an even rarer one that implements it?s so realistically. Rather then in most FPS?s where you?re pretty much just hold down the attack button until everything in front of you breaks. You could almost feel the impact going up your arm as you whacked clouds of blood and broken teeth from the gobs of the down trodden. But getting past all that is was not without its issues. The forensics investigation element was little more then and an adventure in instruction following, scarcely more fulfilling then clicking an ?ok? button. And the levels featured fucking retarded doors that would rather snobbily only deign to be smashed open by a particular brand of sledge hammer, which you were called upon to go and fetch from some local murderous junkie?s house.

Condemned 2 starts on a high note by throwing those dictatorial fetch quests into a bin on the dark side of Mars, and the note only gets higher because forensic investigation now takes the form of challenging little quizzes. And while they do demand that the player knows slightly more then is reasonable about blood splatter pattern analysis, you?re not punished too much for cocking them up. So if Condemned 2 brushes the two errant turds off the otherwise delicious apple pie of Condemned 1, Condemned 2 must logically be a flawless flaky treat, Right? Wrong! And shut up.

For a while I was seriously all set to name Condemned 2 as my game of the year, right up until around the half way point everything was slinky. Forensic clever, combat visceral, atmosphere pant-wetting. But experience has taught me that while declaring a game shitty because of the first few hours is perfectly valid and completely professional, you should never assume that a good game will stay good. The first warning light flicked on a few hours in when the creepy doll robot suicide bombers showed up, but at that point I didn?t think the worse. So the subtlety had been cut down a notch, I can dig it. The second warning light started blinking shortly afterwards in the museum level when I suddenly found myself swinging a broadsword at lads in full mid evil armor. But hell it was still reasonable. I?d hardly expect them to be hefting fire extinguishers when swords are available. The warning light only started going off like black pool pleasure beach when the characters started bandying around the phrase ?Ancient Mystical Cult? because I realized I?d been through this before.

Condemned 2 is a textbook victim of Indigo Prophecy syndrome (that?s farenheids syndrome in Europe). It?s a disease that chiefly afflicts games with a grounding in reality but with a slight supernatural element with sequels at increased risk. The main and most obvious symptom of Indigo prophecy syndrome is a plot which in the second half goes, what is medically known as, snooker loopy, with lesser syndromes including total abandonment of subtlety, the introduction of an Ancient Mystical Cults, and the main character pulling hitherto unknown super powers out of their ass.

There?s a final boss sequence in Condemned 1 in which you run through a dark claustrophobic labyrinth with a serial killer in hot pursuit. It?s really intense and genuinely terrifying and part of what makes it so effective is that it takes place in a normal house exactly like, oh say for example, YOURS! And right down to the psychotic serial killer who lives under your bed and is standing behind you right now, but don?t look because that will really piss him off!

Condemned 2, by contrast, ends on a stupid sci-fi tower thing resembling something the combine would throw together if they were all drunk, and the piss easy final boss fight, which you win by shouting at him so loud that his brain explodes. I wish I was fucking kidding.

Condemned 2 had so much going for it but as I played through it, all the things I liked dribbled away one by one. The forensics bits became less frequent and more insipid. The melee combat gave way to shooting and using your fucking retarded Dragonball Z Hidouken thing. And the story shits itself inside out.

In Condemned 1 it?s never explained why the homeless all went kill crazy, and the fact that it was unexplained exacerbated the creepiness. In Condemned 2 it?s explained on the first fucking level. Some prick nailed noisy hubcaps to the walls that were keeping everyone awake. Thanks Condemned 2, I was almost getting intrigued. This isn?t rocket science, mysteries lose all their appeal the instant you explain them. This is why they never explained why Scully never got it on with Mulder, despite the fact that he had the charisma of a cardboard cut out with a bag of sick taped to it.

Alstan

Dec 5, 2007
I'm the only one who thinks Condemned 1 is overrated for the people who say is underrated? I mean it was:
1st-zapp
2nd-hit
3rd-walk back till your tazer is charged
4th-repeat the 1st point
You don't even need bullets from those paper-made fire weapons. Ok, the first half it was really good and it's scary, but the second one you don't even need to hit anyone, some of your rivals just die with your super-hyper-xray-long-range-vision-tazer.

Ixal

Mar 19, 2008
Nice one.
And without overusing swear words and sexual jokes. Not that I mind but you can be funny without them.

And where do you always find those songs?

NoPantsMan

Oct 31, 2007
I'll agree on the need to remain subtle, but as for keeping the plot unresolved...

No No No! Resolving plot points is a GOOD thing. You don't want games to end up with plots from the show Lost, do you? Do you really want your stories to RELY on unresolved, ambiguous plot points that get dragged out through the franchise till you're frustrated and pissed at the stupid resolution?

...then again maybe such a story will self destruct their franchise faster, thus forcing game developers to come up with more original stuff...GOOD! Disregard the above.

Eleo

Apr 16, 2008
JeebusOwnsYou said:
Eleo said:
I have friends who have higher than normal bone density and also appear to have a connection with the spirit world around us.

I have yet to see any advancements on superhuman powers from them.

Just saying.
That wasn't really my point though. Within the context of the game, the psychic senses, higher than normal bone density, the missing parts of Ethan's file; the writers were obviously leading up to something. They had made it pretty clear that Ethan was far more than an average human in the first game and they also made it clear he was somehow related to the strange, metallic, ninja-like enemies that popped up toward the end of the game. So when they revealed that he could produce deadly screams, that didn't seem far-fetched to me at all. On the other hand if they hadn't set up anything like that, and Ethan was just an average joe who all of a sudden belted out a scream that exploded skulls -- THAT would have been stupid.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
NoPantsMan said:
I'll agree on the need to remain subtle, but as for keeping the plot unresolved...

No No No! Resolving plot points is a GOOD thing. You don't want games to end up with plots from the show Lost, do you? Do you really want your stories to RELY on unresolved, ambiguous plot points that get dragged out through the franchise till you're frustrated and pissed at the stupid resolution?

...then again maybe such a story will self destruct their franchise faster, thus forcing game developers to come up with more original stuff...GOOD! Disregard the above.
You can have a resolution without "showing god". "A cult did it!" is a tired plot device in itself, but if you feel you really need to use one it's best not to have them show how they do their tricks. Magic isn't half as interesting once you know how it's done : )

Oh, and I looked behind me, and all that was there was a mirror and... oh, I get it. Yeah, I do feel sort of angry now...

spase

Apr 6, 2008
I think this unfortunate malady also applies to the introduction of aliens to the story. Perfect Dark became stupid because of it. Any other games you all know of that were ruined in this manner?