Zero Punctuation: Darksiders 2

JPArbiter

Oct 14, 2010
I actually need to bust Yatzee's balls on this.

In the book of Revelation even after the King James butchering, the Rider of the White Horse and first Horseman of the Apocalypse IS named Strife, also known as Conquest or Victory (depending on Greek, Hebrew, or Latin source). The first horsemen was changed to Pestilence in the 1916 novel The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

as far as Fury... yeah I got nothing, Famine would have been much cooler if you ask me.

fun fact the Four horsemen have also been equated to the Archangles Michael, Gabriel, Raphael, and Uriel.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I've barely touched Darksiders II yet. Not because it's bad, what I played of it I enjoyed. But I got Sleeping Dogs as a time sink until Darksiders II came out but ended up enjoying it more than I thought I would so I got hooked on that. Then when I was going to play Darksiders II Battlefield 3 had a double exp week so I got hooked on that and then after that Guild Wars 2 came out and now I'm hooked on that. So many games D:

But yeah, what I have played of Darksiders II so far I've enjoyed. I'm surprised he didn't mention it using Prince of Persia's platforming.

Joriss

Dec 27, 2011
Funny how despite what Yatzee said is all true for the most part, it's still a bloody fun game. And yes, it does feel bloody long!

serious biscuit

Jul 3, 2012
So all the problems Yahtzee stated are true, but just hearing about the game made me go off and play it some more.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
ergh yeah I'll get around to playing the first game sometime :] wouldn't mind a bit of apocalyptic Zelda

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
The Gentleman said:
But Yahtee... gathering three of something is a matter of video game tradition! Darksiders II only took it it its rational conclusion.
Because he cares so much about nostalgia?

On Topic:
Funny review, one of the better ones in some time when looking at puns and word plays.
Well done again I guess.

gyroc1

Nov 26, 2011
Yahtzee loooooooooves his thalidomide babies!

HEY! Yahtzee! I'm not offended, but remember what you are channeling when you mention thalidomide.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
"It's like their bible was written by Image Comics in the 90's."

Now that's a scary thought. Aside from Spawn, Jim Lee's W.I.L.D. Cats, and Savage Dragon most of Image's early titles were about as deep as a sidewalk puddle.

The Critic

Apr 3, 2010
...Was that a Discworld reference in the beginning, with the whole "William Death Esq." bit?

Anyways, very funny review. Informative, too. I want to use the phrase "Fractal Padding" now...

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
FantomOmega said:
vallorn said:
OverHaze said:
Darksiders has more in common with 80s Heavy Metal album covers than it does with Warhammer.

Besides there is much more to 40k than just rage. There is love for The Emperor, devotion to The Emperor, humility before The Emperor, fear of The Emperor, see lots of emotions.
Not to mention the Chaos gods who are themselves made FROM various squalid pools of congealed emotion (Anger/Hate, Hope/Change, Despair/Depression, Joy/Pleasure) Il let you figure out where each one goes.

Also Tau arnt really as warlike as the other races. More just aggressively expansionist.
I feel The Warp overtaking me, it is a Good Pain
Tha could also just you being over enthusiastic with a morphine drip. :)

That said I think Yahtzee's criticism of 40k is fair given the eyes he views it through... those of a video game critic. To be honest video games never seem to have touched upon much besides extremely violent clashes of troops involving groups like Space Marines and Imperial Guard pretty much "on the clock" all the time. To really dig into what's going on behind Warhammer 40k you need to look at things like "Rogue Trader", "Inquisitor" or various novels, and to be honest that is all secondary material behind the minatures game (which is all combat) and the video games that are largely out to duplicate the minatures game and of course be deliberatly mindless hack and slash.

From the perspective of your average Space Marine, what the forces of chaos represent and how they differ doesn't much matter. To really explore that in a heroic context you'd need to see it from the perspective of an Inqusitor from the Ordo Malleus who is allowed that kind of information to aid against fighting against them. The forced ignorance of Warhammer 40k is an interesting concept, but it makes experiencing the world through most characters dfficult, most of the lore behind Space Marines and such involving exposition in codexes and the like which has no real bearing on anything other than to maybe explain some minor bonus.

The Critic

Apr 3, 2010
Therumancer said:
FantomOmega said:
vallorn said:
OverHaze said:
Darksiders has more in common with 80s Heavy Metal album covers than it does with Warhammer.

Besides there is much more to 40k than just rage. There is love for The Emperor, devotion to The Emperor, humility before The Emperor, fear of The Emperor, see lots of emotions.
Not to mention the Chaos gods who are themselves made FROM various squalid pools of congealed emotion (Anger/Hate, Hope/Change, Despair/Depression, Joy/Pleasure) Il let you figure out where each one goes.

Also Tau arnt really as warlike as the other races. More just aggressively expansionist.
I feel The Warp overtaking me, it is a Good Pain
Tha could also just you being over enthusiastic with a morphine drip. :)

That said I think Yahtzee's criticism of 40k is fair given the eyes he views it through... those of a video game critic. To be honest video games never seem to have touched upon much besides extremely violent clashes of troops involving groups like Space Marines and Imperial Guard pretty much "on the clock" all the time. To really dig into what's going on behind Warhammer 40k you need to look at things like "Rogue Trader", "Inquisitor" or various novels, and to be honest that is all secondary material behind the minatures game (which is all combat) and the video games that are largely out to duplicate the minatures game and of course be deliberatly mindless hack and slash.

From the perspective of your average Space Marine, what the forces of chaos represent and how they differ doesn't much matter. To really explore that in a heroic context you'd need to see it from the perspective of an Inqusitor from the Ordo Malleus who is allowed that kind of information to aid against fighting against them. The forced ignorance of Warhammer 40k is an interesting concept, but it makes experiencing the world through most characters dfficult, most of the lore behind Space Marines and such involving exposition in codexes and the like which has no real bearing on anything other than to maybe explain some minor bonus.
I have a sneaking suspicion that Yahtzee might change his tone on 40K by a little bit if someone would make a good Ciaphas Cain videogame. Seems like the kind of thing he might like.

Come to think of it, that game would be rather cool. It'd be a bit like Mass Effect, except that all the dialogue options wouldn't be "Idealistic/Good/Paragon vs. Pragmatic/Bad/Renegade"; but rather they'd be "Order Jurgen to do something", "take the piss out of someone/thing with a good snark", "Cover Ass", or "Lie Ass off". The combat portions would consist of hiding behind cover until the scary noises stop.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
I've seen footage of people playing this game. And it looks good. If you think you might like it I would suggest looking at Classic game Room's review of Darksiders 2. It's on the more optimistic wavelength. I don't know how much the game costs right now though. If it's 60 to 50 dollars I'd just say to pass on principle of saving money.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
MonkeyPunch said:
I must say I really enjoyed Darksiders 2.
I thought the story was good, the set pieces and cut-scenes were nice in no small part due to some really nice art.
The combat was decent too and I liked the added aspect of being able to craft weapons / loot game.

DS2 kept me hooked. Started it and played it right through till the end, which rarely happens nowadays.
Exactly. It's a fun game. And I hear it even has a New Game+ option. I didn't beat it yet. Don't have the time these days to play very much. But when I do I enjoy.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
I think yahtzee needs to look at things like Darksiders and Warhammer from a different perspective. Instead of trying to make sense of its madness and why everyone's answer to every scenario is GRAAHH WE FIGHT NOW just embrace the stupidity and absurdity and laugh at it while attempting to have at least some degree of childlike gleeful fun with it.

That's why I like these games and 40k, because I am completely aware how juvenile and stupid they are but that's what I enjoy about them. Their's a place in my mind for goofy nonsense like Mario, theirs a place for serious mature things and their's a place for teenage empowerment fantasy nonsense. I don't see why so many people get to a certain age and decide one ore more of these things has to be abandoned. Guess I'm just weird. I mean I even think Darksiders is pretty self aware, its a game made by guys who know how absurdly "90s teenage comic books" their games seem but they have fun with it, they are never trying to be overly serious all the time.

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
I wonder why he picked on Strife for being ambiguous instead of Fury for being a woman that hell hath no like.

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
First ZP in a while that actually made me laugh more than a little half-chuckle of recognition here or there. Especially at the description of the plot at the end.

On a related note, I want to get Darksiders 2 but I never actually finished the first Darksiders. Should I play through it first to avoid spoilers and what-not?

Mr_Terrific

Oct 29, 2011
They pretty much HAD to rename the other 2 riders but how cool would it be to actually play as Conquest a.k.a the White Rider a.k.a Jesus Christ (or so some believe)? Then again, some believe Conquest to be the bringer of War, which makes the second rider War, a bit redundant.

Famine is completely undoable in a video game unless it's like Darksiders 3: Farmville or something..

Also, I thought Death was simply the Reaper of Souls...not the lord of the underworld which Yahtzee seems to believe.

Eh...whatever. The Bible is just as fictitious as Darksiders anyway...

Mr_Terrific

Oct 29, 2011
Ljs1121 said:
On a related note, I want to get Darksiders 2 but I never actually finished the first Darksiders. Should I play through it first to avoid spoilers and what-not?
Darksiders 2 takes place during the same time as the first game. So Darksiders 2 only spoils the first 20 or so minutes of the original which isn't a big deal considering you've probably seen it already...