Zero Punctuation: DC Universe Online

Spookimitsu

Aug 7, 2008
Headbiter said:
Spookimitsu said:
Sorry about that, it wasn't rage through which The capslock was used. Only used for emphasis.

I had doubted this needed an explanation, but hey, I've been wrong before.
True. Among other things about the assumption I dubbed your last answer a rage-post BECAUSE OF the Capslock. The general writing style, content and overused "I need to defend my franchise"-arguments earned you that. The Capslock is merely one of those petty little annoyances one can rag on about.
So anyone that disagrees with you is attacking you? Hmm. And remind me how easy is it to discredit opposing arguments as a "cop-out"? Ironically (wink), it seems that cop-out is the choice to not do something. Much like your decision dismiss reasoning in defending your statements, instead opting to use phrases like cop-out. No I don't need to defend the franchise. Heck I dont care if you play it or not. However statements like
This game is bad and should not be bought.
may be a little over the top. Many, many people are enjoying the game currently. A lot of people are still curious about it. And here you and your blanket statement "it's bad and shouldnt be bought" may actually lead some of the astray. Sure I'd had my own ideas about how the game would be when I first heard about it and envisioned it in my head. Sure not everything matched up 1to1 when I actually played the game, but for one, I had been playing some nice MMO gameplay, it had been over a year since my last online rpg (Demon Souls notwithstanding) and seeing how this one was Massive, and actiony, it's fitting the bill.

I dare to say that this "little comment" shows anything but relaxation.
haha I like your style ^_^

Time for a little trip.
Sorry to say it, but you're gonna end up taking that trip by yourself this time. I can't really follow you on that, seeing as how... well I dont really have a problem of them making some shit up about the Green Lanterns. I dont really care. Some comic booky stuff, fine. Whatever. As long as I can continue to lvl up. If the Lanterns and the Sinestros were out there armwrestling for dollars I couldn't care less (I was more of a Marvel fan anyways :-/ )
This is kind of a YMMV thing, and my personal suspension didnt have any problems assimilating to the game. Maybe yours did, and now you want to tell everyone not to purchase it, and I dont think thats fair. Either way, this where we are going to have to agree to disagree.
Hell, SOE could do whatever they wanted, I stopped paying attention after that righteous intro. I mainly wanted to hit the streets and get to stomping. So I guess, good job.
Time to create my character.
I usually revel the rpg player character creation process.
To that point, I will say I was let down by the initial character creator. Limitations in body-type options, no weight/mass sliders, the 3 female body types were pretty much all the same form, same ratios on the body parts, just different heights. I remember distinctly not having a problem with the weapons and powers available (although it looks like it's just dying for an expansion though, and expansion packs DLC economics is an entirely different conversation)

lots of stuff again about the movie
not to disrespect you or your argument, but ok, for the sake of brevity, you don't like the movie. I'm not going to make you like it. Ps I see where you are going with the shooter franchise thing, but that doesnt really apply here. I prefer Battlefield.

Hey, you faceplanted yourself full speed with an attempt to burn me through the use of one of my own statements
Of course I did. I welcome your opinion and your criticism. I was also trying to bait you into writing retorts, i guess you could say I was trolling (mildly).

With that in mind, I think I'll stick to my attitude toward's people whose strongest and most complex argument is "it's fun."
...in an debate about videogames, where entertainment is the objective. Not only that i'd guess its more of a subjective objective.
This goes back to your 'popular shooter' statements. even if I dont subscribe to the current popular trend, I'm not going to beat the next guy in the head because he likes that shooter and wants others to try it with him.

I can fill up my shit in little plastic bags.
Sure if that's your thing.
Artists do this all the time. Pop Art? Post modern shit? Some people would say it's crap (abstract expressionism, if you're into art). Others would pay millions. There are subgenres of hip-hop that I wouldn't take a piss on if it were on fire, but yet they are going platinum (which still baffles me)

I'd wager you're in for a big disappointment.
Now that just sounds venomous. The developers promised monthly content (and this can continue in a discussion for DLC if you like) and I still don't know if Penguin is in the game. If you are a DC fan, perhaps you could school me to some other big name baddies, the biggest DC one I know would be Darkseid (Doomsday is in the game already) The content this month will feature Catwoman, as well as a new Bane duo which (from what I heard) would be a pretty tough run.

One thing I never bothered to ask though, and now in hindsight this may prove to be relevant, as you said that you played for a couple of weaks before getting bored... were you playing on the PC or the PS3?

cefm

Mar 26, 2010
How they thought they could get away with a superhero based MMORPG with LESS character-generation options than City of Heroes is mind-boggling.

Once you get a cool feature like that there's no going back. It's like going from dating Jezebel the Wonder-Nympho to an accountant who only does handies once a week. Since the only cool aspect of the game is creating your own superhero, why wouldn't they allow you to actually create what you want?

Kebabas McSauce

Mar 23, 2010
Meh , the game is pretty fun , quite refreshing to have a MMO-button masher. PVE and PVP is really refreshing compared to other indirect combat MMOs. One problem with it burns itself out quite quick , as right now it doesn't have much content.

Never played City of heroes , so can't really compare it to anything else... But personally I'm having fun so far.

T0bias

Feb 18, 2011
You've actually driven me to creating an account just so I can call you a twat. I don't mean to be rude or anything but this game has so many actual problems you could have made a point about instead of just picking random points to talk crap.

1. Yes, world of warcraft DID invent the concept of good vs evil.

2. The difference between CoH/CO and DCUO is that DCUO is actually a game whereas the other two are fanfiction simulators with sort of a bit of a game duct taped onto them. This is probably why the character creator isn't quite as extensive as theirs.

3. You are the first and only person I have ever heard to say the combat mechanics are anything less then revolutionary to the genre. Here is an MMO that actually plays like a beat em up game, perhaps a very simplified version of god hand or devil may cry, and you spend your entire time just tapping left click over and over again and then say it's rubbish and uninteresting?

4. Using the camera to target things is actually a rather convenient method for anything who has ever played, oh I don't know, a first/third person shooter. If that's not your cup of tea however you can go into the options menu and turn "WASD" on and then target things with the movement keys and be free to do whatever you want with the camera.

5. The iconic powers are there to shut up people who would obviously complain "Scarecrow can use fear gas, why can't I use fear gas?" And once again I have to bring up the point that this is designed to be a fun game about superheros, not a fanfic-fulfilment device in which after you discover that the character creator is godlike you find that all the actual gameplay is shit.

I'm not a fanboy and I do agree that missions can be repetitive but that's basically the only valid complaint you had, you also forgot to mention the fact that PvP in the game is being destroyed by rampant exploits in the combat system that have failed to be fixed after more then a month thanks to SoE's lazy programmers or the terribly designed user interface / chat system.

Stewie Plisken

Jan 3, 2009
How they thought they could get away with a superhero based MMORPG with LESS character-generation options than City of Heroes is mind-boggling.
It's still pretty extensive and takes most of its queues from CoH. It's not as rich, but at least it's less exhausting than the one in Champions Online.

The important thing is to make sure you don't have a few dozen super-heroes who look alike (because of lack of options and not player lack of imagination, the latter of which runs rampant) and at least so far, that bullet's been dodged.

4. Using the camera to target things is actually a rather convenient method for anything who has ever played, oh I don't know, a first/third person shooter. If that's not your cup of tea however you can go into the options menu and turn "WASD" on and then target things with the movement keys and be free to do whatever you want with the camera.
Wait, what? No. I love the game, but the targeting is crap. The game's set to lock on to targets directly opposite to the character, which means the camera has to ALWAYS follow the character's back and sure enough, it usually doesn't, either because you just want to look at another angle of your character fighting, or because you're scanning the immediate surrounding area to plot a strategy. He's absolutely correct about the camera being awful.

T0bias

Feb 18, 2011
Wait, what? No. I love the game, but the targeting is crap. The game's set to lock on to targets directly opposite to the character, which means the camera has to ALWAYS follow the character's back and sure enough, it usually doesn't, either because you just want to look at another angle of your character fighting, or because you're scanning the immediate surrounding area to plot a strategy. He's absolutely correct about the camera being awful.
There follows the point about using WASD mode. Or alternatively you can hit TAB to lock on to a target and do whatever you want with the camera while still attack the same target, and if you need to switch targets you can hit tab again or C to clear target.

I have never, repeat NEVER, suffered any minor inconvenience from the targeting system in this game. It works flawlessly and perfectly for me.

Stewie Plisken

Jan 3, 2009
I'm playing with a gamepad. The game was designed to be played with the gamepad, since the mechanics were designed based on the PS3 version. That *is* a flaw and having to cut corners to make it work satisfactorily does not save it.

Angelus SnV

Nov 19, 2009
Misho- said:
OMG You mentioned City of Heroes!!!! I still play that game! ! Way to go Yahtzee!

What I don't like about DC Universe (or the previous Marvel one[the cancelled one]) and I like about City (and Champions to some degree) is that you don't feel like the sidekick. Sure in Cox there's Statesman (or Recluse) with all his mates, but they mostly keep to the sidelines and give you quests. Once you accept that you really feel like the Hero/Villain. In DC I always feel like a Batman Clone (in my case) and under the main cast of characters' shadow. And that blows.
In one of the final missions of the game ('lease when i played it) you do start defending some NPC's who look up to your character with the same reverance that you (supposedly) have for the iconics...'course shortly after you've reached the lvl cap, so there y'go...

T0bias

Feb 18, 2011
Stewie Plisken said:
I'm playing with a gamepad. The game was designed to be played with the gamepad, since the mechanics were designed based on the PS3 version. That *is* a flaw and having to cut corners to make it work satisfactorily does not save it.
I'm Jack Ryder and you are wrong. Why? Because the gamepad controls for this game do suck, but the keyboard and mouse work perfectly. I even went so far as to make a short video demonstrating that the targeting is efficient and fluid, accurate and flawless. This is all done with targeting/control settings at default.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r25OY0PbNSE

Another point I forgot to make in my original post is that yahtzee clearly mistook the purpose of the mentor selection. By "gagety-gadget hero" he clearly meant Batman mentor, gadget power source. What he seems to have totally failed to grasp is that mentor choice is purely there for story and aesthetics and has no bearing whatsoever on your actual character except for what end game armor you can wear.

xdiesp

Oct 21, 2007
From Europe, superheroes smell of jingoism: super cops who punch bad guys, as if crime was based in bad attitude or the police was actually the forces of Good embodied. In short, childish jingoism\fascism (jesus christ, there's some actually dressed in the US flag). Really, I'm not joking when I say that if you read comics over here you'll be regarded A) a borderline retard and B) far right in politics.

Thankfully we always had a much more varied selection of comics to read, with every european country's and south america production. And now mangas, which thankfully will be killing off DC and Marvel sooner or later.

Stewie Plisken

Jan 3, 2009
I'm Jack Ryder and you are wrong. Why? Because the gamepad controls for this game do suck, but the keyboard and mouse work perfectly.
BS. The gamepad commands flow better. I've tried playing it with both and while the keyboard/mouse are well assigned enough, the game becomes a hell of a lot more immersive, because of its beat 'em up design. I'm not willing to let that go, because the devs screwed up the targeting.

I'm sorry, but you are wrong. Even if the targeting works perfectly for the keyboard/mouse combo, the fact that it falls short of expectations (to put it mildly) with a gamepad, especially when the game has been made with those in mind, means it is indeed a technical problem on the game's part and critisizing it is fair game.

BluesHadal

Feb 10, 2011
jeez all you need is to read a wikipedia page nowadays. But even before that I remember being bale to jump into a one of the old running comics easily. it's not that hard to figure shit out. I randomly started watching pysch, or any t.v show really and I usually catch up pretty fast. The premise of anything is usually simple to grasp and that's all you really need.

Galad

Nov 4, 2009
can you please avoid those bowel analogies like the one from 00:45 to about 01:05? I barely made it past that one.

greyseven

Jan 16, 2011
Even City of Heroes was a weak fart in the wind, I don't know why the gaming industry believed that DCU would really shake things up.

Bootkiller

Master of Dimensions
Dec 27, 2008
Yeah, I'll agree that the analogy at the beginning was rather tortured.

Not that I'd get this game anyway, but I know now definitely not to bother.

Belbe

Oct 12, 2009
I'm still going to try it one day, superheroes are cool and I'm sticking with that story :p