Zero Punctuation: Dead Rising 2

Idocreating

Apr 16, 2009
Chucktanium said:
Never really liked Dead Rising, I hate when games try to rush me through them. I'll be sure to rent this and kill a hundred zombies with the sledge-axe, but aside from this I dont think the game's worth the $60 tag.

GREAT REVIEW!
Except Dead Rising doesn't purposefully rush you through it, your free to do whatever the hell you like. The only difference is the outcome at the end of the time limit. Did all the story missions right? Best ending. Just smacked zombies for 3 days straight? Normal Ending.

crimped

Feb 3, 2008
meh, this will be a great game when it hits the bargan bin at $20, until then its an over priced piece of shit.

Altherix

Jul 3, 2008
Yep, pretty much came out like I expected it to.

Glad I decided to rent this time instead of buy it like the first one. Not that it's a bad game, just not worth full price.

Chris 'Chaos' Voce

Oct 3, 2010
Im kinda glad you can just use an ATM for money instead of doing retarded side missions or getting a job at the local 'Brainz Burger'

fartmagic

Oct 14, 2010
What's up with the gigantic fucking never-disappearing "Share" button in the upper right this week? The gigantic watermark in the lower left isn't enough?

Semudara

Oct 6, 2010
Kermi said:
Last week a game was torn down for allegedly having a bland story. Capcom has a shit story but they're Capcom and it's expected, so all is forgiven.
Last week's game was uninteresting due to repetitive combat. Yahtzee plays through DR2 with one particular weapon combination he happens to like.
Last week's ZP was derisive about the game not fleshing out their characters enough (even though there's a perfectly acceptable reason for this in the context of the story), Dead Rising 2's NPCs primary characteristics are uselessness and greed.

Nothing is said about the motivations and machinations of the characters in DR2 because presumably they don't matter. There's only a passing reference to the reason the protagonist of DR2 has taken this job as Hell's Janitor because it presumably doesn't matter. The game forces you to restart over and over, grinding levels and hurling yourself at a wall until you eventually break through, creating false difficulty and artificially padding out the actual content of the game. I played Dead Rising 1 and got sick of it very quickly. The fact that you can fail a boss fight because the mission timer runs out in the middle of a boss fight is something that you should be angry about, not forgive. Remember Halo Wars? Remember when you refused to even complete the game because your guys "lost contact" from 20 feet away because of an arbitrary mission timer? Fuck you!
On top if that, based on the demo of Case Zero I played the game still controls like bloated ass.

But for some reason this game gets the Yahtzee Croshaw thumbs up because you can beat the whole game with one weapon and slaughter thousands of zombies along the way.

Well shit Yahtzee, I think other studios need to stop trying so hard. You're apparently very easy to please.
You seemed to put effort into this post, and some of your points were decent, so I figure you deserve a reply.

This is game that is basically an excuse to chop up hordes of zombies. Halo: Reach was supposed to be a serious, emotional drama and a top-of-the-line shooter. In other words, the criteria for success are different between these games, and the factors that you mention all revolve around this distinction, particularly story. In other words, Yahtzee was in no way contradictory.

dietpeachsnapple

May 27, 2009
thefreeman0001 said:
how do i hide that goddamn share bottom thats obnoxiously taking up a 3rd of my video panal?. on a side note good review ^_^
I sympathize. While I appreciate the desire to increase free marketing on the part of the viewers, I would appreciate having that option less obtrusively displayed.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
Kermi said:
Last week a game was torn down for allegedly having a bland story. Capcom has a shit story but they're Capcom and it's expected, so all is forgiven.
Last week's game was uninteresting due to repetitive combat. Yahtzee plays through DR2 with one particular weapon combination he happens to like.
Last week's ZP was derisive about the game not fleshing out their characters enough (even though there's a perfectly acceptable reason for this in the context of the story), Dead Rising 2's NPCs primary characteristics are uselessness and greed.

Nothing is said about the motivations and machinations of the characters in DR2 because presumably they don't matter. There's only a passing reference to the reason the protagonist of DR2 has taken this job as Hell's Janitor because it presumably doesn't matter. The game forces you to restart over and over, grinding levels and hurling yourself at a wall until you eventually break through, creating false difficulty and artificially padding out the actual content of the game. I played Dead Rising 1 and got sick of it very quickly. The fact that you can fail a boss fight because the mission timer runs out in the middle of a boss fight is something that you should be angry about, not forgive. Remember Halo Wars? Remember when you refused to even complete the game because your guys "lost contact" from 20 feet away because of an arbitrary mission timer? Fuck you!
On top if that, based on the demo of Case Zero I played the game still controls like bloated ass.

But for some reason this game gets the Yahtzee Croshaw thumbs up because you can beat the whole game with one weapon and slaughter thousands of zombies along the way.

Well shit Yahtzee, I think other studios need to stop trying so hard. You're apparently very easy to please.
well ANYBODY (except for zombie activists) is pleased by bashing a zombie face in with axe attached to a sledgehamer

Aug 11, 2009
was this *GASP* A positive review!? THE WORLD IS OVER! THE APOCALYPSE IS UPON US! HUMANITY AS WE KNOW IT WILL CEASE TO EXIST! LOL great review, i liked the first one myself so i will definatly try the second. Also... i find it hard to believe the AI doesn't suck but if you say so i'm willing to give it a chance, a small chance, but a chance none the less.

VladimirSirin

Jul 8, 2010
I think the thing that makes this game brilliant, and far less rage inducing, is online co-op.

I met and played with a few people who helped me take out difficult bosses (they were level 50, I was level 5) and get tons of PP. I fully intend to pay it forward once I get to a reasonable level (level 21 is still pretty rough going, for some reason my speed is still at 1. THERE ARE ZOMBIES EVERYWHERE. FRIGGIN' RUN FASTER.).

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
I'm sorry, what?

Is this really the first game he's ever played where he's found enjoyment in saving the game and then going off and doing crazy stuff in, in order to discuss his adventures with other gamers around the watercooler the next day? Did he even play pretty much every sandbox game that's come out since GTA3?

I mean what the hell is going on here? Did the whole point of Just Cause 2 just fly completely over his head or something? I can kind of see now why he thought the Saboteur was a mediocre version of Assassin's Creed- it seems dicking around outside the missions isn't something he much dabbles in- rather odd for someone who misses retro unpretentious fun in games. Either that or he's just got much more of a thing for the Holy Land than a 1940's Paris (which I'd like to argue is way more atmospheric and stylish than most sandboxes).

Seriously though, why has this game in particular got a section about messing about outside missions? Makes me wonder if there was so much opportunity for improvising left out of the missions that forced a cynical reviewer out into the playground for once, where he caught a glimpse of himself as a proper gamer for a moment.

Fisk777

Aug 2, 2010
crimped said:
meh, this will be a great game when it hits the bargan bin at $20, until then its an over priced piece of shit.
Why would you say that? It's fun and you can play with a friend, also the online mini-games are pretty good besides the one based around quicktime events.

EvilMaggot

Sep 18, 2008
Phenom828 said:
Hentaibound said:
Not true. Also: Banned!
[sub][sub] or suspended if the gods(/mods) feel really charitable[/sub][/sub]

I had a feeling he would like it. :) I didn't like it that much, but it's a fun concept. And Freedom Bear KICKS ASS! :D
indeed :D freedom bear is awesome ! :D

gring

Sep 14, 2010
please escapist get rid of that ridiculously giant "share" button that eats up the video screen.

what makes you think we want that?

edit: i saw a comment to move the mouse away from the vid for a few seconds, that didn't work for me.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Wow, did not expect Yahtzee to enjoy this. I might actually rent it now.

dark-amon

Aug 22, 2009
Did Yahtzee say that he actually liked this game? I'm not saying anything about the game when saying this mind you, it's more about Yahtzee being the most soulless, hatefull being since Pol Pot, just against videogames.

Noko

Oct 7, 2010
Wait what? This AI is an improvement, i got shotgunned by a redneck cowboy and his wife. ant then there was the pharmacist who kept stopping in the ,middle of the horde.