Zero Punctuation: Demon's Souls

Majere613

Sep 17, 2008
Lord_Seth said:
Majere613 said:
Whilst you can't pause the game, you can quit back to the title screen at any time and when you reload, you'll be at the last point where you gained Souls, picked up or dropped an item, gained or lost health, or a myriad of other things.
While you may have made some legitimate points in the rest of your message, I'm sorry, but being unable to pause a game somehow is quite frankly inexcusable.
Ooookay. Not only are we talking about an online game here, which tends to imply not pausing, but if you read what I said, quitting back to the menu at any time saves everything you've done bar maybe a bit of running about. That, effectively, is your 'pause'- it's a bit like logging out in WoW, but it happens instantly and there's no chance a mob will respawn and be beating you to death when you log in.

KingKamor

Jul 8, 2008
I dunno, I've seen gameplay of this game, and it looks like my kind of thing. (i.e. A third-person dungeon-crawly adventure from Japan)

A hilarious nonetheless. Keep it up!

Majere613

Sep 17, 2008
Actually, I should probably add that for the most part I enjoyed the vid. I was seriously waiting for the bit at the end where he comes back and tries a bit more and gets the hang of it, discovering the true meat of the game, because that alone would probably have made most of the inaccuracies at least tolerable in the cause of wit. But sadly, that moment wasn't there and we were left with a bacon sandwich bereft of tomato sauce. Or if you prefer, spoilt by the addition of said sauce.

KotaroKun115

May 21, 2009
Oh Lookie Here Yahtzee Finnaly Reviews a Japanese Game...While your at it how about trying some Japanese Games like*Oh I dont Know* Touhou Project Or The Disgaea Series...
Oh Hahahahahaha thats Rich Yahtzee reviewing Japanese Games Now that is comedy!

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
man, console exclusives always get more praise than they deserve... Halo was good, but not amazing, and Uncharted 2 was okay, but not superb, and this game is just not half as good as RPGs that have come before. I say Japanese-made RPGs have a long way to catch up as Pokemon has already set the bar so high that they may never achieve it (i think that may be the nostalgia talking though). Fun is ultimately what games were meant to be, and so far, Japan's game industries have made (more than 80%) games that i find more hand-gnawingly insane than fun or even playable.

LtFerret

Jun 4, 2009
Majere613 said:
Actually, I should probably add that for the most part I enjoyed the vid. I was seriously waiting for the bit at the end where he comes back and tries a bit more and gets the hang of it, discovering the true meat of the game, because that alone would probably have made most of the inaccuracies at least tolerable in the cause of wit. But sadly, that moment wasn't there and we were left with a bacon sandwich bereft of tomato sauce. Or if you prefer, spoilt by the addition of said sauce.
Which is the problem when it comes to reviews. They have to play and write up a review quickly and can't always come back to it. I remeber when i first played Mass Effect, i hated it. I gave it some more time and it eventully became one of my favorite RPGs. Likewise i loved Devil May Cry 2 when it first came out, untill I played it some more and found it kinda crappy.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Azaraxzealot said:
man, console exclusives always get more praise than they deserve... Halo was good, but not amazing, and Uncharted 2 was okay, but not superb, and this game is just not half as good as RPGs that have come before. I say Japanese-made RPGs have a long way to catch up as Pokemon has already set the bar so high that they may never achieve it (i think that may be the nostalgia talking though). Fun is ultimately what games were meant to be, and so far, Japan's game industries have made (more than 80%) games that i find more hand-gnawingly insane than fun or even playable.
Tell me, did you take Yahtzee's word to heart, and has this been the only review you have seen of this game?

If you have answered "Yes" to either, I highly recommend you read up more about it.

A lot of reviewers, myself included, state roughly the same thing: "It's a fun RPG, with a steep difficulty curve that rewards you when you play the game like it's supposed to be played, and punishes you for being careless."

Personally, this is one of my favorite JRPG's, not only because it mimics Western Style to the point where you would have never known this was a JRPG, but because it doesn't assume the player is an idiot. This game will not hold your hand, but it certainly won't cheat you out of life, either.

yzzlthtz

May 1, 2008
Azaraxzealot said:
Axikal said:
Azaraxzealot said:
And whenever an RPG that tries to copy the styles of American and European RPGs (by incorporating strong medieval themes and using a shit-load of european accents or by just simply NOT using turn-based combat and fucking ludicrous stories with characters who have absolutely no depth) is published by a Japanese company... it never goes over well (as far as I've seen).
Demon's Souls is considered an advancement in modern RPGs, and is highly sought after in all three regions. Going so far as to having people in the UK start petitions to bring the game to their demographic. What the hell are YOU smoking?

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/demonssoul/review.html
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/demons-souls-review
http://www.gamecritics.com/brad-gallaway/demons-souls-review

et al.

In summary: You're an idiot.
look, people are fucking idiots, Fable 2 got GREAT reviews AND it sold millions of copies, but what makes it any worse than Dragon Age: Origins or this game? KOTOR was also geat, as was Borderlands and Dragon Age: Origins and Dead Rising (not so much, because it had the crappy shooting mechanics and the worst aiming and hit detection system of ANY game i've ever played which is because it was developed by capcom, which doesn't know good hit detection and aiming from a cheeseburger) was hell of fun, and it's obvious from this review by ZP and from all the gameplay that i've seen and played that it has the stench of japanese gameplay (not an insult to the japanese, but to many, not all, of their videogame mechanics). what i mean by this is that the game has terrible and awkward controls, and it has a broken save system that is unfriendly to anyone but the most hardcore of the hardcore. Obviously Yahtzee hated the same things, and I'd be fine with this game if it fucking worked.
omg...you're really dumb.
i wasn't sure at first.
you continue to bash a game you have never played, and you compare it to games that are rather unlike it. and you pit fable 2 against triumphs like KOTOR and then mention dead rising in the same sentence.

you should really just stop talking, cause you're not getting any "hear hear"'s out of anyone, and you're earning yourself a lot of well-deserved hate.

the controls are amazing in demon's souls. they're like a more chivalrous and strategic form of the dodge/block/strongattack/weakattack/magic formula of, say, God of War.
and they work fantastically in every situation.

different weapons handle just as you'd want them - giant swords and hammers are lobbed about laboriously with great effect, smashing foes to the ground or sending them flying, while rapiers stab and jut lightning fast from behind shields.

the only real problems with this game are the occasional frame rate hiccups and the fact that corpses are light as air and jostle about too much when you walk over them. that, and the occasional AI burp.

unlike Peter Molyneux's fun but challenge-less and slightly contrived attempts at action rpgs, where he promised the world and offered up a small slice of cake instead, demon's souls actually succeeds at doing something new with the genre.

Axikal

Oct 21, 2009
xxhazyshadowsxx said:
This game will not hold your hand, but it certainly won't cheat you out of life, either.
I beg to differ on the latter :p

I'd ignore Azara. Anything beyond "click click die" seems to be a bit confusing to him/her.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Axikal said:
xxhazyshadowsxx said:
This game will not hold your hand, but it certainly won't cheat you out of life, either.
I beg to differ on the latter :p

I'd ignore Azara. Anything beyond "click click die" seems to be a bit confusing to him/her.
Well, that all depends on what your idea of "Cheap" is.

If you race around a corner and fall off a cliff, do you blame the cliff?

jodko

May 6, 2009
dodging works fine your meant to attack stright after the dodge its very simple

Axikal

Oct 21, 2009
xxhazyshadowsxx said:

Of course! It should've had a neon sign flashing in front of me.

Nah, I'm talking in terms of things like (as I've said before), the Flamelurker fight. I've had some moments where I fecked up, and got pissed at myself for it; and others where I felt a bit cheated by the game. Then again, I usually learn and move on.

RogueDarkJedi

Dec 28, 2008
The video quality is much higher in this video, probably because the videos are now being streamed via mp4.

But I loved Yahtzee's experience with the game. That was really funny.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Axikal said:
xxhazyshadowsxx said:

Of course! It should've had a neon sign flashing in front of me.

Nah, I'm talking in terms of things like (as I've said before), the Flamelurker fight. I've had some moments where I fecked up, and got pissed at myself for it; and others where I felt a bit cheated by the game. Then again, I usually learn and move on.
Ah, well, I can't really disagree with you there :p

yzzlthtz

May 1, 2008
Celeras said:
What I learned from this:

Although ZP makes sure to complain about the casualization/dumbing-down of videogames in every fricking video, he is in actuality a gigantic vagina who can not handle a game with a little bit of difficulty.
hahaha

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
yzzlthtz said:
Azaraxzealot said:
Axikal said:
Azaraxzealot said:
And whenever an RPG that tries to copy the styles of American and European RPGs (by incorporating strong medieval themes and using a shit-load of european accents or by just simply NOT using turn-based combat and fucking ludicrous stories with characters who have absolutely no depth) is published by a Japanese company... it never goes over well (as far as I've seen).
Demon's Souls is considered an advancement in modern RPGs, and is highly sought after in all three regions. Going so far as to having people in the UK start petitions to bring the game to their demographic. What the hell are YOU smoking?

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/demonssoul/review.html
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/demons-souls-review
http://www.gamecritics.com/brad-gallaway/demons-souls-review

et al.

In summary: You're an idiot.
look, people are fucking idiots, Fable 2 got GREAT reviews AND it sold millions of copies, but what makes it any worse than Dragon Age: Origins or this game? KOTOR was also geat, as was Borderlands and Dragon Age: Origins and Dead Rising (not so much, because it had the crappy shooting mechanics and the worst aiming and hit detection system of ANY game i've ever played which is because it was developed by capcom, which doesn't know good hit detection and aiming from a cheeseburger) was hell of fun, and it's obvious from this review by ZP and from all the gameplay that i've seen and played that it has the stench of japanese gameplay (not an insult to the japanese, but to many, not all, of their videogame mechanics). what i mean by this is that the game has terrible and awkward controls, and it has a broken save system that is unfriendly to anyone but the most hardcore of the hardcore. Obviously Yahtzee hated the same things, and I'd be fine with this game if it fucking worked.
omg...you're really dumb.
i wasn't sure at first.
you continue to bash a game you have never played, and you compare it to games that are rather unlike it. and you pit fable 2 against triumphs like KOTOR and then mention dead rising in the same sentence.

you should really just stop talking, cause you're not getting any "hear hear"'s out of anyone, and you're earning yourself a lot of well-deserved hate.

the controls are amazing in demon's souls. they're like a more chivalrous and strategic form of the dodge/block/strongattack/weakattack/magic formula of, say, God of War.
and they work fantastically in every situation.

different weapons handle just as you'd want them - giant swords and hammers are lobbed about laboriously with great effect, smashing foes to the ground or sending them flying, while rapiers stab and jut lightning fast from behind shields.

the only real problems with this game are the occasional frame rate hiccups and the fact that corpses are light as air and jostle about too much when you walk over them. that, and the occasional AI burp.

unlike Peter Molyneux's fun but challenge-less and slightly contrived attempts at action rpgs, where he promised the world and offered up a small slice of cake instead, demon's souls actually succeeds at doing something new with the genre.
w/e i can flame about how badly i hated this game all i want, because when i played it, i found the experience frustrating, pointless, and unenjoyable. it's only internet reputation anyways.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
It seems like a lot of people suck really, really, really bad at video games. Particularly this one. Maybe I'm just amazing at games like this, I dunno.

To those who say that you can't dodge/block: You suck. Hold L1 with a shield in your hand. Congrats, you've blocked an attack. Oh, you lost all your stamina? Better raise your endurance stat if you want to play defensively. Gonna be dodging? Better not have a lot of armor on and have fast attacking weapons. Also, get some endurance.

The game can be summed up with two stats:

Endurance and Vitality

That's all you need. Pump those up, along with your weapon of choice's stat, and you've beaten the game. Good job.

The game isn't hard. In fact, it's very easy. Each level consists of encounters where you can take damage and, if you suck, you die. It's not hard in the "Oh man this game is so unfair" sense it's hard in the "Oh man I suck really, really bad at video games" sense.

All of the long levels have shortcuts that can be unlocked. Some are more hidden, some are obvious. The very first level has the two best rings in the game. Chances are, you'll be using them 90% of the time.

And it's not like the non-boss fights are hard. They're systematic. Pull enemies with a bow. Fight with a spear and shield or rapier and shield. Rinse and repeat. The game is built like that for a reason.

Hell, the game tells you that in the message system. There's a reason "Divide and Conquer" exists as a message.

masher

Jul 20, 2009
That was outright hilarious! It was like watching someone play Super Mario: Frustration.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
Azaraxzealot said:
w/e i can flame about how badly i hated this game all i want, because when i played it, i found the experience frustrating, pointless, and unenjoyable. it's only internet reputation anyways.
I pity you.