Zero Punctuation: Demon's Souls

ButanicXpandA

Oct 20, 2009
hmm... that game looks hard.. but i guess as most japanese games go... they are created to screw with you.. get you stressed to a point where you cant concentrate and end up saying "fuck you" at your tv screen.

FinalValkyrie

Mar 11, 2009
Im on my 12th playthrough of this game, Ive gotten the platinum trophy, and Im well on my way to having maximum levels.

I absolutely love this game. Im tired of playing games that are too easy. This offers a true challenge, and anyone who doesnt like it isnt a gamer. Yahtzee just sucks at video games, I guess.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
uhg and they didn't bring over shadow tower abyss for this(well not really i'd just rather play that one and kings field X)?

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
I really hate trial & error games, that not what I would call challenge, you didn't survive because you were careful or otherwise smart, you survive because you have an inability to stay dead, and remember everything before your death. A simple computer program can solve such problems, simply retry until something works, and then build on that.

There's a difference between looking at a problem and getting a general idea of what you need to do, and then not knowing two shits about what you're supposed to do, and dying being the only way to find out.

I'm sure demon's Soul's is a nice game, but it's the wrong kind of challenge, and not what I'm looking for.

Rennar

Dec 17, 2009
Lol...'tis an awesome game, but I also found myself agreeing with everything in the review

halbarad

Jan 12, 2008
I have to admit, I adore this game. It is unrelenting in it's difficulty but it works so well, the controls, visuals, music, everything is great.
Dodging actually does work perfectly, but if you dodge to the right when an enemy is attacking from left to right the end of the attack will get you.

The review is one of the funniest he's made in a long time. I laughed so much because while he was being unfair to the game (which he does and I love him for it) and making things sound worse than they are, all the things he said were based on some truth.

I actually offered in email to buy Yahtzee this game. But alas, never got a reply.

Demons Souls is a difficult game and one I love for that. All the people I know who say it's too hard and stupid are the ones I know to avoid when playing video games because they are the idiots who don't know how to play tactically. They run ahead swinging their sword mindlessly like a man swinging his penis in a free brothel.
I'll pick Demons Souls over any of your God of War's, Devil May Cry's, etc because while I do play those games, I relish some difficult tactical fighting and Demons Souls is the closest gaming has got to actual melee weapon combat.

evotech

Dec 18, 2009
The reason i loved Demon's Souls so much, is because it leaves you afraid

Seeing a Dual Katana Wieleding Black skeleton should make you think "hm, that doesnt seem nice, maybe i should not go there" not "anotherone? ohwell, oneshoottt"

Because you lose all your souls, the constant tension in this game is just amazing, you dont know what's around the corner, you don't know what the boss is like, and you definitely don't know what could possibly happen

The review was awesome though, only thing i was disapointed about was the fact that you made it to the elite guards and not the boss in 1-2, i was realy looking forward to when you met him, but you gave up before which i found a little sad.

Anyway, for those wanting to try it after First level, dont take the second level, go back to teh nexus and try another level, you can take 1-2 later when you got some skills

Another fun part about this game i s newgame +1, where you have all your items, you start the game again and its about twice as hard.

When you meet Yurt, killl him!

edit: Demons Souls isn't just hard because of trial and error, enemies are hard, theres quite alot of them, if you don't dodge / block right, even the most basic enemy can kill you.

I'm usually not for Trial and Error, but in this game it just works, you dont know whats ahead, and its scary, you meet an NPC, you dont know if hes evil or not, you go into a level and you think "holy shit, this is NOT GOOD"

Its amazing

NickCooley

Sep 19, 2009
Onmi said:
Well then let me clarify, I was not saying 'You're like one of those jocks' in response to having a hard time with Demon's Souls, I was saying that in relation to the implied idea from your post that I got that you were saying that if you COULD beat the game and not have trouble, that you had no life.

It seems we BOTH mistook what the other was saying. Finding Demon's Souls hard does not make you a casual gamer, not learning from the experiance doesn't make you a casual gamer, it makes you incredibly stubborn and thick headed though. And no that's not the equivilent of me calling someone an idiot.

In real life as we grow up we learn the dos and do nots of life as we injure, stumble and bludgeon our way through to adulthood.

This is Demon's Souls. This is you going into it as a child, and having to adapt to the game, I loved the game because it was unique like that, because no other game on the market Western or Japanese kills me and makes me think "Well that was my fault"

I again compare it to God Hand which had a brutal difficulty curve, but anyone who has played and beaten the game can tell you that once they learned the system, and stopped to think about the move sets they were making they died so much less and became so much better.

I know Yahtzee's style is to accentuate the negative, but complaining about the microsecond animation your character uses to eat grass to heal, I mean watch those videos I posted HE makes it sound like your exposed for a full 5 seconds with the enemy coming to kill you!

And then there's dodging which he doesn't seem to get, it reminds me of my big sister when we played the old Crash games on PSX. Now WE all understand the simple idea of holding the up button/analog stick up and running.

She used to TAP it! OVER AND OVER AND OVER! She then complained the game was too slow, but it wasn't that the game was slow she was just stupid!

It wasn't that Dodging is broken it's that Yahtzee didn't use it right.

But I digress, I still laughed and I weighed what he said, but I also noticed how from the sounds of it he was playing this like you play Dragon Age or Neverwinter Nights or Jade Empire.

That you are a refrigerator and everything is your *****.

Anything in this game can (and most likely will) kill your frail body with such ease.
To be honest this game seriously does interest me. Because of the challenge alone. Shame it's on the PS3. Although I have considered buying one, we'll see.

Although I can understand some people just don't want to play, for lack of a better word, hardcore games. So high difficulty might put them off. Which is fair enough. But if you do buy the game, play it, get slaughtered then proceed to do the same thing over and over without learning then yes I agree you'd be a stubborn moron.

The Deadpool

Dec 28, 2007
DayDark said:
I really hate trial & error games, that not what I would call challenge, you didn't survive because you were careful or otherwise smart, you survive because you have an inability to stay dead, and remember everything before your death. A simple computer program can solve such problems, simply retry until something works, and then build on that.

There's a difference between looking at a problem and getting a general idea of what you need to do, and then not knowing two shits about what you're supposed to do, and dying being the only way to find out.

I'm sure demon's Soul's is a nice game, but it's the wrong kind of challenge, and not what I'm looking for.
Except it's NOT a simple trial and error kinda game. It's a "be careful" kinda game. Every one of his deaths were HIS fault. They were all pretty easily avoidable (well, the last one is hard to avoid, but still avoidable. Just takes practice). It just takes care.

The warning about fire against the first boss? honestly worthless and is written BEFORE the boss fight. He waited until the fight to open the inventory and died.

The Dragon? It's the SECOND part of the game with it, and he passed the first without dying. There's warnings on the ground (hell, I put one there) and you hear the beating of wings...

Wolves? Fight better.

Army of knights at the end of a mad dash to safety? first, look where you're running, second, fight better.

All avoidable. Takes care, and skill. As does the whole game.

Edit: Btw, on the dodging side, he is half right. You run and dodge slower if your current equip weight is higher than half you maximum equip weight. Most classes start with full body armor, a shield, and two weapons equipped, meaning most classes have their dodge roll slowed down by weight.

Note that I went through the whole first two stages before realizing this, so the slowed down dodge isn't THAT bad, but it is MUCH easier if you're lighter. Armor is nigh worthless in this game.

I sure wish the game made that clearer though, but I think it's on the instruction manual...

Macman12

Dec 15, 2009
I was looking foward to trying this out to =[
Hard I don't mind... but near-impossible is
another thing altogether.

*sniff* I need my RPG fix.

Cavouku

Mar 14, 2008
First of all, let me say; Jesus tapdancing Christopher Columbus H. Christ, 18 pages, isn't that a bit much guys?

I saw this in my local EBGames and was very curious. I asked the guy what he would recommend between Demon'sssss Souls, Avatar: The Game, and Dragon Age: Origins. Neither of us knew anything about Avatar, so I decided to play safe, and he said that if I get frustrated easily, he wouldn't recommend Demon'sssss Souls, so I got Dragon Age.

It was well worth it. I hope I made the good choice.

BaldursBananaSoap

May 20, 2009
I hated his Demon's Souls review.

Yep it's hard, so what? You keep complaining about easy casual games but when a challenging game comes along you play it for a few hours and spend the review crying because you got killed. You have to learn your battle patterns and each enemy's weakness. Each death is a learning experience in this game.

Sorry Yahtzee but you can't nitpick on a game that was designed to be difficult and unforgiving for being too difficult and unforgiving. Play further than the first dungeon and then create a new game. You'll wonder what you thought was so hard about those parts.

Oh yeah and dodging varies depending on your class, and is a roll to the side, NOT a step backwards. Man I can't believe people are putting what you say as fact when it's clearly riddled with uninformed crap and you didn't even complete ten percent of the game. I know it's for comedy and it's your job to nitpick on stupid shit but man, people should stop taking it seriously.

And no save points? The game saves every time you gain experience, and after you get an item. Have you ever played Diablo, or any loot grabbing dungeon crawler? That's what happens there too. If you abort mid-mission, you have to start over, but keep everything you earned so far. And there are save points midlevel. Yet again, complaining because it's difficult.

This proves you played it for a few hours and it beat you and now you'd rather play those hand holding self-esteem raising games you "hate". That was the worst review from you I've ever seen. Your reviews usually have a point in with all that humour but this one was the worst representation of this game ever, full of contradictions and it was clear you didn't stick to your character style or level them.

Next time you call games these days too easy, make sure you don't call punishing and challenging games too hard.

Gulzt

May 4, 2009
DayDark said:

Haven't you figured yet? All games are trial and error, it's just wrapped up in different packages.

Obvious for all platform games, but also goes for every race game. You trial and error through the track, trial error to learn the best defense against a certain tactic. With FPS it's the same. you learn where to jump and where you can't stand. you learn which weapon to use again what weapon on what position. I could go on.

Demon's Souls has a very nice package. For me it's the best game ever made, and I've played a bunch in the last 21 years.

BlackDodongo

Apr 15, 2009
Macman12 said:
I was looking foward to trying this out to =[
Hard I don't mind... but near-impossible is
another thing altogether.

*sniff* I need my RPG fix.
This game is not near-impossible. The games difficulty directly correlates with your patience. The lower your patience the harder the game. And I gather from your post that you must be fairly patient as an RPG player.

Stylish_Robot

Dec 29, 2008
it's not so much that the game's too hard, I mean I've beaten quite a few difficult games but I guess there's just certain things that I didn't like when I wanted to love the game but oh well

UnlimitedCreativity

Dec 9, 2009
BlackDodongo said:
UnlimitedCreativity said:
oh yeah and totally disagree with unfair... when a Giant troll goblin thing runs across a bridge and hits you once, breaking your guard and killing you at full health... life beginings to feel a little unfair. That and bosses who kill you as you walk into the room
Maybe you should have seen the GIANT GOBLIN THAT IS CLEARLY QUITE POWERFUL and tried to get around him some other way. It can be done, and even if you can't find a way, maybe you just need to level or get a better weapon. You know, because this is an RPG and that's what you do in these games.
Yeah unfortunately Demon Souls is a game where you only figure things out via trial and error. You cross a seemingly empty narrow bridge and goblin- troll club thing storms the bridge at high speed.. You magic doesnt knockback or do enough damage to kill the thing and theres nowhere to dodge or step around the thing. Now the game is laughing at me going "you are totally screwed" and in Demons Souls there is no pulling a miracle and surviving... you just die. Now had something warned me that there was danger (like being able to see the troll goblin thing with the big ass club) then life would have been a little more fair. I could have planned my attack. (And dont mention the message system because the only messages that are around after the first level are "Help! Please reccommend Im in trouble" yeah arent we all? )

Level grinding to me is an absolute waste of time... I bought a game to play it, not to boringly replay the same levels to become powerful enough to tackle the next. To me thats lazy game design. If the developers havent set the difficulty curve such that at the end of one level you can move on to the next... they've screwed up. I dont mind hard, but I want hard to be tactic oriented and a measure of skill. Not "Oh congrats, you've killed enough same underpowered grunts that now you are strong enough to move on". So basically everything I achieved is based on a level thats related to how long I play the game not whether Im actually good at it or not.

Like dont get me wrong Demons Souls is a decent game. The graphics are awesome. The game world absorbing. The controls are... ok. But it seems to confuse challenge, with lets not give them a fighting chance... and I suppose that means people who actually beat the game deserve some respect, although that is somewhat tainted by a game play thats base on a system that dictates that you need to be a certain level to continue.

And you cant criticize me for knocking the game... I've actually played it got about halfway.. then went "Fuck this" this has become work it isnt fun to grind the same areas over and over and then I traded it in

Anchupom

In it for the Pub Club cookies
Apr 15, 2009
I was going to defend my home county, but it really is a piece of shite :D