Zero Punctuation: Destiny - Always-On Grind

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
I..., I don`t know what to say...

I am

totally

not

surprised*.

*that happen with Wolfenstein New Order already (being suprised)

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
I never got to play Oni myself, but the gameplay footage I've seen looks pretty fun.

Oh right, Destiny. Um....Yeah it's kind of boring to play alone. I don't care much for PvP, and even the co-op missions get boring when you can't talk to anyone and the bosses are just bullet sponges.

So yeah, until my friends get the game, I'm probably going to wait to play past level 16.

P.S. Also the loot system is shit. ;p

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
guitarsniper said:
There already is a proper MMOFPS. It's called Planetside 2, and it's wonderful.
Indeed,also for those of us who want boss fights, and some semblance of story progression in an mmofps, there's also warframe.

And unlike Destiny, which cost a friend of mine $74 with taxes in, neither of those games cost a goddamn cent if you don't want them to.

And before people come in with the "But Doomy, PCs are too expensive! Consoles are cheaper and that's why it's fair that we get ripped off on game prices by an average of $20 per title on new releases." I can run even the newest games on high on a pc that cost me $600 to put together, and was easier to assemble than a $10 lego kit. Yes I can play any game I want to with a controller, off of a tv, with wireless controls, ALL THAT AND MORE!

Kyle Davis

Apr 23, 2010
You forgot to mention how impossible it is to get good loot or how long and pointless the strikes are. But then again you properly already lost interest in the game before all you got to that point, Yahtzee.

VectorSlip

Sep 17, 2014
I've been wondering when a game would come around that would convince me to get a ps4. With the massive amounts of hype surrounding it i though destiny might just be that game. Turn's out it wasn't, which is a crying shame.

Its almost sad. I've been a PC gamer for a few years now and i've been loving it. Theres just so much you can do and so much to play on the platform that I've gotten an actual backlog of games I haven't played yet. That never happened to me on consoles. And with the next generation rolling around I thought they could maybe bring me back into the fold somehow. But if games like Destiny are standard then Im just going to swear off consoles for good. They just wont be for me at that point. Plus I've played MMO's before and Destiny taking that route is another turn off for me. I've just never found them engaging. Paying for multiplayer is just downright awful too. On both xbone and ps4. They had it right with the PS3 which is why I got it over the 360. It sucks that they had to go backwards on that deal.

Ill keep a lookout for something that will be a system seller to me. But until then I guess Ill be happy with my good ol' pc.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
In a year from now, I imagine the Production & Marketing department are going to have the entire studio shot at dawn.

-"You said it would sell more than WoW and CoD combined! You have failed us!!"

-"We never did! We told you the MMO thing was a dumb..."

-"SILENCE! Do not question the Market, heretic! Our focus group oracle cannot be wrong! The fault is yours!"

*Blam!*

JonSherwell

Mar 21, 2013
Raziel said:
Wouldn't you have to have Live to play multiplayer as well? Could you play this at all on the xbo without it?
Xbox owner here,I don't have live, and as to my knowledge, basically my understanding of how the game is played is that, singleplayer missions are totally playable, and you can run around and watch other players run around. It might be because I didn't take the time to figure it out, but I couldn't communicate with/hear any of the other players speaking in chat (maybe you can't chat?), and, as Yahtzee suggested, you probably can't play multiplayer levels.

But you can do the main story missions etc. as long as they're single player and as long as you have an internet connection.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Crushed by Firefall in all departments, then?
I really liked the visuals and beginning this time, thanks as always mate!

CAPTCHA: What do you associate with anaheim, ca...
I'm not bloody American, you asshole. Is it Disneyland?

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Sseth said:
I like ZP and Yahtzee but this was actually a pretty lackluster review. I wanted to hear more about the classes, any mention of what the vehicle sections are like, etc. This episode felt short and padded.
If you're a fan too, you should know it's a critique, not a full review.
Tis' meant to make one laugh, not tell you everything about something...

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
Being a PC gamer there are always a few games I'm interested in I never get to play because they are console only so I go to youtube and watch a playthrough. With youtube I can at least experience what it brought to the table and see how the game turned out. I did this with The Last of Us and GTA V and I can say it was still entertaining to view even if I am watching someone else play. With Destiny I literally couldn't make it an hour without feeling my mind starting to collapse from boredom. I even watched Killzone Shadowfall all the way through without feeling the same level of boredom I did with Destiny and that game was bland as hell.

I have no idea how a Bungie could have been ok with this game coming from the Halo series. I think the only interest I have in Destiny at this point is hearing an explanation from the devs on what on earth they were thinking with the design of this game.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Sseth said:
I like ZP and Yahtzee but this was actually a pretty lackluster review. I wanted to hear more about the classes, any mention of what the vehicle sections are like, etc. This episode felt short and padded.
Vehicle sections??? There is none that you have to use. There is 2 different vehicles with guns you can find in a few different levels. And you can summon your sparrow at any time (once you finish the mission on each planet) to make the travel time between each empty section on each planet faster. But it doesn't have any weapons.

If you meant vehicle selection well you can change the color of your sparrow. And you can buy/find different jumpships but those are just for the loading screens as you land on different planets or the tower. You get to look but can't touch.

Sadly other than the missing PVP aspect of the review he pretty much covered Destiny and what to expect.

EXos

Nov 24, 2009
Called it!!! :D

From what I've seen Destiny could have been a bit better if they upped the variety just a bit more... And adding it in DLC is pointless even the monster WoW had this from the start.

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
Carnagath said:
Wait, Yahtzee doesn't have PS Plus? Isn't that, like, a plumber who doesn't own a screwdriver? Yeah, fuck screwdrivers, fight the power!
Trolling of this kind reminds me of the bloke who told Yahtzee that people that didn't own high end spec PC's had no right to play certain games. And we all remember what Yahtzee thought of him.

Steve2911

May 3, 2010
Honestly though, PS+ is worth it to fuckery if you play any of Sony's current consoles.

Also going to be the first commenter to say 'I really like Destiny'. It's flawed as fuck, yes but what it does right it does tremendously. Certainly the most fun I've had with a console this year.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Of course Yahtzee hates it, it's got multipla...Wait, that doesn't work this time.

KDR_11k said:
I feel that this video [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yXs0R370LU&list=PLswVJ_e2AEzlrULSPhdAcGm7hoNYFdCeN] may help with understanding the plot.
That may be the most epic telling of an epic story ever epically told.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
This is one of those games I would've bought in a second if it was not for the damn multiplayer.

I just wish that they would stop forcing multiplayer into games.

I hope people enjoy this game, and I look forward to a non-multiplayer release.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Kenjitsuka said:
Tis' meant to make one laugh, not tell you everything about something...
Yeah, but it was also pretty unfunny and dull for a Zero Punctuation video. Yahtzee almost sounded sleepy, rather than his usual hyper-stimulated pace.

Steve2911

May 3, 2010
carpathic said:
This is one of those games I would've bought in a second if it was not for the damn multiplayer.

I just wish that they would stop forcing multiplayer into games.

I hope people enjoy this game, and I look forward to a non-multiplayer release.
This definitely isn't a game that they've 'forced' multiplayer into. This game is pure multiplayer. It's the whole point of the game.