Zero Punctuation: Deus Ex

Nov 12, 2010
Signa said:
The first level is BRUTAL. People were telling me all the way back in 2000 how great it was, but I never got into it. I finally played it with a friend in 2010 and fucking loved it. You really have to die a lot if you aren't used to the game and what it is asking of you. Once you get past that point, it becomes pretty clear why everyone says the game is as good as it is.
I actually played it on hard, as I do most of my games, HR included. ;) Always up for a challenge.

Xariat

Jan 30, 2011
so basicly people "hate" it for beeing a game where theres a "best way" to play it... WAKE UP PEOPLE you don't have to play with the best build, i played the way I wanted, and I thought the game was rather good, sure i missed out on the explosive revolver and fully upgraded heavy machine gun and stuck to the rather innacurate sniper and tranquilizer gun, brining i 10mm pistol and a assult rifle when things got hairy.

i played by sneaking around the guards with my mighty eye that can see through walls, putting guards to sleep and hacking security hubs to dissable turrets and robots, it all went perfect until *spoiler alert* the game turned into Left4Dead at the very last level where i was just lucky to find a heavy rifle and stumble my way through "zombies"

Irriduccibilli

Jun 15, 2010
vrbtny said:
Tried the original but it kept on crashing, and it looked so bad i thought it could have run on a calculator.

Human Revolution was alright, the shooting was allright, except that the 10mm pistol can overpower all the bad-guys in the game. Seriously, the combat rifle pales into nothing when compared to the 10mm.
That is until you equiq your combat rifle with the Bullet Leading (or whatever it's called) upgrade. Being able to lock on to an enemy and then blind fire and hit with every bullet is sweet. It also makes the boss battles easier

Also...
That is all

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
From what I have heard, HR combines Bioshock with Gears of War.

Gears gives the regenerating health, the zero skill required guns, the large bosses, and the cover based shooting while Bioshock gives the decent story and upgrade abilities.

Would this be correct, cause a game like that sounds awful, frankly.
Not even remotely. If Bioshock and Gears of War are the best points of reference you (or whoever was describing it) have for the types of gameplay in HR, then you're in for a treat.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I was looking forward for you "reviewing" this game Yahtzee so thank you for that.Funny as hell.

I'm quite surprised that he went through playing Deus Ex 1 first before heading to Human Revolution and making a retrospective "review" before continuing with the newest release.

I am "guilty" of doing the same thing with playing the first game,before diving into the third so I could get accustomed to the mechanics(I didn't own a computer when the first game so released so had no chance of playing it until now).

PS: The High Def Texture pack patch really helped me tolerate the rusty graphics and pushed me further to finish the game.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Irriduccibilli said:
vrbtny said:
Tried the original but it kept on crashing, and it looked so bad i thought it could have run on a calculator.

Human Revolution was alright, the shooting was allright, except that the 10mm pistol can overpower all the bad-guys in the game. Seriously, the combat rifle pales into nothing when compared to the 10mm.
That is until you equiq your combat rifle with the Bullet Leading (or whatever it's called) upgrade. Being able to lock on to an enemy and then blind fire and hit with every bullet is sweet. It also makes the boss battles easier

Also...
That is all
Yeah my silent combat rifle with tracking ability and laser precision begs to differ. It was great in the
Boss fight where you lose your augs. Rather easy when you realize that you can turn on tracking still and lock on and unload a clip into Chuck Liddel.

Also sniper rifle with laser sight = fire from the hip ManCannon.

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
Oh thank Christ; Yahtzee had me going at the start there. I was afraid for a moment that he was pronouncing 'Deus Ex' the retarded way, but then it turned out to be a joke and then 'day-us ex' entered the room in fiery glory.

Still, looking forward to the Human Revolution review next week and seeing what he decides to rip apart. I'll be disappointed if he doesn't mention that the game kind of locks you out of a lot of stuff if you don't upgrade hacking skills early.

AT God

Dec 24, 2008
I usually make it to Hong Kong before I give up on Deus Ex, I beat it the first time but had to use a guide to keep focused because I got tired of missing so many places. I have the second one on steam and i made it to the part where you have to kill a bunch of chumps in a warehouse and got sick of the ammo system. Need to redo them both before getting HR.

Anyone have any tips on how to make Invisible War less tedious? I want to play through it to get caught up since Deus Ex 1 had such a clever story, at least so I can be on the same page when HR goes down in price.

sleekie

Aug 14, 2008
Not well optimised? Rubbish. I got the original to run on a P90. And while it looked like crap at the time, it hasn't aged that badly because it still managed to be atmospheric. Compare to IW, which completely failed in that department.

sleekie

Aug 14, 2008
AT God said:
Anyone have any tips on how to make Invisible War less tedious? I want to play through it to get caught up since Deus Ex 1 had such a clever story, at least so I can be on the same page when HR goes down in price.
The only thing I can suggest is to spec for melee with silent running. Saves loads of ammo, so you can afford to use things like the energy rifle and sniper rifle when you need them. You also end up with mostly passive powers so you don't need to fool around with energy issues.

It's still going to be tedious. You could just recap the story off the Deus Ex wiki and spend all that time playing a game that doesn't bore you instead.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
AT God said:
Get these biomods, preferably in this order and upgrade them ASAP:

Neural Interface
Move Silently
Bot Domination
Thermal Masking
Spy Drone

Use these weapons:

Energy Blade
Pistol (Or Red Greasel Hunter)
Mag Rail (Use shotgun until you find it)
Sniper Rifle
Rocket Launcher

Take every piece of food and drink you can get, because it is way more effective than medkits.

Always take Sid Black as your pilot for your first playthrough.

Always stay on the Omar's good side and buy their biomod canisters until all your black market ones are upgraded.

Have fun!

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
I sorta agree with Yahtzee, the people who would remember the game are either old or PC retro. The people who would get Human Revolution would get it either because they had the original growing up or bought it on the box art whim. Doesn't help that press always circles around three MAJOR games at any given time, and Dues Ex sorta jumped into that spot.

The game is either really good or really devious and fooling everyone to THINK its the first one. But that doesn't stop it from being good, its just I can't see a point to trying to start up the franchise again. Its like with Halo, I said.
"Good, now the team can actually make something new."
E3 Halo 4 announcement later.
"Never mind...."

Its just I don't see much of a point. If they wanted to do another game in the series and try to rejunivate it into the personal minds of the public once more. I can tell they succeeded.
Now to wait.
*waits patiently*

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
-Dragmire- said:
Heh, a Zero Punctuation that ends with the promise of a sequel!
It'll be a letdown, like all sequels. >.>
That'll be the be the aftermath. First, we need to create a tonne of hype and say it's streamlined with less swearing to appeal to a larger audience.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
How do you - Yahtzee and some posters - expect a tranquilizer to work? Deus Ex was kind of cool in that a tranq dart is (A) felt by the victim, (B) takes time to knock them out, and (C) they can't be easily revived. Sure, that means it's not always the easiest weapon to use, but it's still "easy mode" in that game. Lean out, pop off a shot, lean back before it even reaches its target, back around a corner, wait for them to pass out. Repeat as necessary.

In DX:HR, supposedly a prequel, they've managed to make a tranquilizer dart that the target doesn't feel anything whatsoever upon being stabbed by a fast moving sharp object that sticks in their flesh. This will knock them unconscious through any ensuing activity unless somebody waves a hand in front of their face, at which point they immediately wake up. At least that adds some challenge to the whole thing.

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
Hmm ... Deus Ex 1 and System Shock 2 are definitely, in my opinion, the pinnacle of FPS. That said, I really didn't mind Deus Ex: Invisible War that much. I actually quite liked the atmosphere - the dystopian hopelessness of Deus Ex was still there I felt. The problem is that some maps simply didn't have the 'lived in' feel that I find from Fallout maps, the only game series to reliably include places to crap (or drink from, depending on how thirsty you are).

It would have been fun in Deus Ex to just lurk in the toilets for hours ... eliminating people silently as they came in and hide their bodies in one of the cubicles. Much like my weekends ... m(~.~)m