Zero Punctuation: Deus Ex

Chiefwakka

Mar 18, 2009
The freedom of gameplay does it for me. I beat it yesterday going for ghost and smooth operator every mission. Playing it stealth does make the boss fights that much more awkward, except the final one, which I won't spoil, but if all the boss fights offered the options of the final then the game would have been elevated to God status in my eyes.

Now, on my next playthrough, I'm the guy with the heart of gold who runs in guns blazing. It feels so liberating to line up the sights of my 10mm on a guard that annoyed so much on my first playthrough.....DIE YOU BASTARDO!

Fun game though, kinda curious how Yahtzee will see it.

Bors Mistral

Mar 27, 2009
Ahh, Deus Ex, sweet memories and the game that got me in gaming "journalism".

It's true that it doesn't hold up visually that well, and even with the pretty good fan-made textures and models update that's to be expected. I do remember however the game running really smooth on my mediocre Savage3d, so I totally don't get the part about "poor optimization". It was the freaking Unreal engine. At the time you could run the thing in software even.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Well, I too gave up because of the shoddy appearance. Now Yatzee has reinvigorated me and I'm ready to give it another go.

Nov 12, 2010
trollpwner said:
leet_x1337 said:
Nothing about the awkward aiming that puts all awkward aiming before and since to absolute shame, where you have to stand still like an idiot pointing your gun at anything for 20 seconds before you can hit the broadside of a barn at ten paces, even if you're at Master level for that gun?

...Huh.
Actually master level grants instant accuracy. Might want to research your facts more.
The mods can negate the reticle bloom entirely as well even on untrained I might add. On one of my playthroughs I only used a sniper, so there was no need for me to train rifles, just went full mod instead.

DolorousEdd

Sep 25, 2010
I don't like the Witcher 2's fighting, but I can't remember last time I liked the fighting in a game, but anyway, the story is more complex and more authentic than Bioware's stories. And they even blatantly mentioned philosophers in there (since the whole folklore and mythology and names in there are twists of real world stuff, they can get away with it), not that it matters, but it certainly shows how far off you can be about completely dismissing a game.

Nesco Nomen

Apr 13, 2010
Bors Mistral said:
I do remember however the game running really smooth on my mediocre Savage3d, so I totally don't get the part about "poor optimization". It was the freaking Unreal engine. At the time you could run the thing in software even.
I am totally not getting that part also.

I quite clearly remember my Geforce 256 kicking butts of all kinds of Unreal engine games,
DX including.

Remember those days when you could use AA only in games which were at least 2 generations older then your GPU?

Nov 12, 2010
Nesco Nomen said:
Bors Mistral said:
I do remember however the game running really smooth on my mediocre Savage3d, so I totally don't get the part about "poor optimization". It was the freaking Unreal engine. At the time you could run the thing in software even.
I am totally not getting that part also.

I quite clearly remember my Geforce 256 kicking butts of all kinds of Unreal engine games,
DX including.

Remember those days when you could use AA only in games which were at least 2 generations older then your GPU?
Now that, you guys, mention in, I had the same absence of any problems with it on my "antediluvian" hardware back in the days. I remember it running in 800*600 with only occasional slowdowns at the UNATCO lobby, because of all the floor reflections the original "Unreal" was so proud of (it had the same thing in one of the first levels).

Ninjat_126

Nov 19, 2010
I'm glad Yahztee took the time to review the game and mention flaws rather than just blindly defend it.

I bought it, and the first problems I found were the awful graphics and the bad voice acting. It probably gets better later, but still it's hard to push through a bad first impression.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
KaosuHamoni said:
That's it. I will finish it, goddamnit! Hong Kong, here I come!
YMMV but Hong Kong was always one of my favourite areas! It's massive with loads of areas to go poking about in; the accents are hilarious; it's where you really start to hit your stride as a character as you can get fully augmented (if not fully upgraded) there; and the bots have that cool green tint.

I'm surprised no-one seems to have picked up on the zooming-into-the-back-of-a-character's-head trick that HR pulls to say 'You're taking control of this person now". Yahtzee ragged on it in his Turok review and I'm expecting it to get dredged up next week.

Don't know about anyone else, but while I generally rail against regenerating health systems and miss the good old health bar it would feel rather hypocritical to complain about it being used in HR: in both the original and IW, a fully-upgraded Regeneration aug is always one of my highest priorities.

Oh and while I can only speak for myself, Deus Ex doesn't get uninstalled but it does get replayed every few months.. or at least a couple of times per year. That's not nostalgia goggles. That's one of my favourite games ever ever ever.

Lovesfool

Jan 28, 2009
Actually, I own a copy of the game (a freebe from some magazine or other), but I haven't gone around to actually installing and playing it, because the screen shots on the back of the package look a bit... outdated, if I want to be polite (well, they actually look like crap that will probably make my eyes bleed in the effort to try and make out what everything is...)

Maybe I will give it a try, at least. Not planning to buy the new one before the price goes down, so why not?

Australian Justice
Jan 30, 2010
Since i'm not an actual Deus Ex fanboy, and i only tried Deus Ex Human Evolution out of pure interest, i would like to see a remake of the original, not a texture HD remake fuck no if anything that has taught us those remakes suck shit, i actually would like to see Deus ex with not only the HD redo, but some of the mechanics fixed and saving system etc (again this is based of any criticism i may have seen about it) basically I'm agreeing with Yahtzee's point about a remake for it, but he is right. and i wouldn't mind seeing what the fuss is about the original.

Nov 12, 2010
Excuse me, but what is the point of making an HD remake? Give it another three years and the graphics will look like crap compared to what will be to be available at the time.

I never understood a purpose of a remake. Not a movie, nor a game remake, nor a musical remix for that matter. Better devote your time and resources to creating something fresh and original instead.

The only reason why it would be even viable to consider is to present such a remake to a generation unfamiliar with the original. Then again: will you be making remakes of great titles every time a hardware or a generation gap occurs? Just go play the original with an open heart and try to see past the outdated graphics.

Babitz

Jan 18, 2010
Complaining about outdated graphics makes you less of a gamer in my eyes because games aren't about graphics. Deus Ex had shitty graphics even in 2000., yet it was highly praised. They devoted their limited time and funds to more important parts of the game and that's what gaming should be about.

I forgot

Jul 7, 2010
I've never played Deus Ex but I always get the feeling that I'll be saying it's an overrated piece of shit when I do. Being able to run past enemies and slam the door behind them doesn't exactly sound too good either. All I hear about this game is how you can do anything and not necessarily what the complexity of the design or challenge is behind it which is why I fear I won't like this game.

Nov 12, 2010
I forgot said:
I've never played Deus Ex but I always get the feeling that I'll be saying it's an overrated piece of shit when I do. Being able to run past enemies and slam the door behind them doesn't exactly sound too good either. All I hear about this game is how you can do anything and not necessarily what the complexity of the design or challenge is behind it which is why I fear I won't like this game.
Aye, mate, should give it a try first and then judge it to be "an overrated piece of shit". Overrated, perhaps. Piece of shit, far from it. "Deus Ex" in a nutshell is a canvas for a creative player to play how he or she likes. There are numerous approaches to a problem, every one being equal and the player is the jury and executioner in every single case.

If you hate the games that force you to accomplish all the tasks in one and only way you will like "Deus Ex", because there aren't many games like it.

That however is not its only strength. A fantastic atmosphere, interesting dialogues, kick-ass soundtrack, very flexible RPG system. Dude, what more can you ask for from a game?

Loki J

Nov 12, 2009
kiri2tsubasa said:
Ignoring the fact that the game keeps crashing on both my current PC and older PC I just can not get into Deus Ex at all. I'm sorry. The graphics suck, which is to be expected, but their is this weird green covering on all things. During the cut screens it looks like JC has greenish skin and that is something I see on both PC's. It wasn't their when I first played it when I was 13 on my first PC, back in 2000. Even then I couldn't get into the game or see why everyone said it was the best game ever. Maybe it is because I prefer RTS to most other genres.
For anyone interested in a graphics upgrade to the original Deus Ex;
HD Graphics patch - http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-new-vision
Hi-Res Fonts and bug fix - http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-enhanced/

Z