Zero Punctuation: Deus Ex

I forgot

Jul 7, 2010
CrawlingPastaHellion said:
I forgot said:
...I haven't made any assumptions (and any I might, have a reason behind them)... Your "objective" qualities aren't actually objective either and I stated why they don't mean a damn thing about the game being worth anything...
So did you make assumptions or did you not? Decide on that already, will you.

On one side you are right about those qualities possibly being as subjective as anything else. Yet, simply because there isn't a system of measuring those qualities, doesn't mean they can't be evaluated objectively. In the end it all comes down to definition: "what is good music?", "what is a good story?" and so on. Too bad that those are often too vague.

Well let's just try a relative approach then: those qualities in "Deus Ex" are way above your average run of the mill game, simply due to the fact of a lot more effort put into them in "Deus Ex" (an undoubtedly objective quality). There you go: problem solved.

As for your statement of those not amounting to making a game worth anything. Enlighten us then: what does make a game worth anything? Because contrary to your statement you didn't state a single reason for particularly that.

Before you point me to your original post: no, that is not a definition of a good game either -

I forgot said:
All I hear about this game is how you can do anything and not necessarily what the complexity of the design or challenge is behind it which is why I fear I won't like this game.
Besides, "Deus Ex" does have complexity of design, so there you go. Whether it has any challenge... I personally think HR is more challenging on the hardest difficulty. Then again the original is not a walk in the park either on the same difficulty level, unless you're fully upgraded. I am almost fully upgraded in HR and it's still quite challenging.
I didn't make a definition of a good game in my first post and I'm not here to argue what is one. I'm not arguing it isn't a good game; just that I'm afraid this game might let me down because I've never heard people talk about things like the challenge or the complexity in its design but instead the music, atmosphere and doing anything (though like in fable, is any of it worth doing?). That's all.

Sentient6

Nov 26, 2009
Which video has the DX song Yahtzee did a while back...? He should've remastered it and put in this review...:p

8-Bit Grin

Apr 20, 2010
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
From what I have heard, HR combines Bioshock with Gears of War.
I'm certain someone has already responded, but I believe it's a mashup of Mass Effect style questing with Rainbow Six Vegas style combat.
Seriously. Play five minutes of terrorist hunt on Vegas. It's uncanny.

TheUnbeholden

Dec 13, 2007
If people think Deus Ex has bad graphics, they may be pleased to know that the mod came out about a month before DE:HR release that updates like 75% of the games graphics with high resolution ones.. its called New Vision. If anyone loves Deus Ex but can't stand outdated graphics.. you're in luck :)

It's only for world textures though, not character models or gun models or animations. But its still awesome.

Shraggler said:
Finally someone points out the correct pronunciation of the title. I know it is evil of me, but a part of me cringes every time I hear "Doose" Ex and a second little part of me loses a smidge of respect from the person whose mouth uttered those words. Alright, I lose a lot of respect.
You know I always pronounced it D-ooz-Ex, only recently did I realize its Day-es-Ex :p

Its been my second favourite game for a long time next to CastleVania Symphony of the Night, 3rd being Half-Life, and 4th being Max Payne 1 and 2, 5th being Thief 1 and 2 (and the Dark Mod which pretty much recreates the Thief games on the Doom 3 engine) and 6th as System Shock 2.

Sentient6 said:
Which video has the DX song Yahtzee did a while back...? He should've remastered it and put in this review...:p
Guitar Hero World Tour
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/452-Guitar-Hero-World-Tour

TheUnbeholden

Dec 13, 2007
I forgot said:
I didn't make a definition of a good game in my first post and I'm not here to argue what is one. I'm not arguing it isn't a good game; just that I'm afraid this game might let me down because I've never heard people talk about things like the challenge or the complexity in its design but instead the music, atmosphere and doing anything (though like in fable, is any of it worth doing?). That's all.
Well read this for the best analysis of Deus Ex

http://www.jnoodle.com/careertech/files/postMortems/DeusEx.pdf

The game allows you to approach a objective in anyway you want or can think of. Each way can be effective... Whether its worth doing depends on whether you think its fun, so experiment.

I forgot

Jul 7, 2010
TheUnbeholden said:
I forgot said:
Well read this for the best analysis of Deus Ex

http://www.jnoodle.com/careertech/files/postMortems/DeusEx.pdf

The game allows you to approach a objective in anyway you want or can think of. Each way can be effective... Whether its worth doing depends on whether you think its fun, so experiment.
I finally get an answer. I did not read the whole thing since its like 30 pages but am more convinced by just these words alone
"Combat will require more thought than "What's the biggest gun in my inventory?""

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Would it be worth it to grab the PS2 version of this? I've never played Deus Ex and the only way I could really play it would be the console version.

Arif_Sohaib

Jan 16, 2011
Surprisingly, I did like Invisible War(and I played it after Mass Effect 2).
I tried to play Deus Ex 1 up to the end and really liked it but the levels were so ugly it really started to bother me a lot by the time I got to the secret submarine base so I uninstalled it.
It really really needs a remake. But if Alpha Protocol(which I believe is more worthy of being called a Deus Ex title than Human Revolution) is any indication of how complex people want their games, then it might not do too well.

Gremlin-Stenning

Jul 29, 2012
This game is most definitely my all time favorite game I first got it on the ps2 and found the pc version was much better because the health system is different on both platforms same goes for the maps though the pc version is so much bigger and better ps2 version is basically deus ex for dummies. Plus the conspirators in this game actually seem to know what they're doing unlike in every other conspiracy game I've played they appear to be retarded and in most cases announcing it to a handful of people. Plus its great that you get to walk away from boss fights or say 1 line that blows them to shit either way is satisfying.