Zero Punctuation: Driver: San Francisco

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
I didn't really expect him to like the game, let alone so much. But it is indeed a fantastic game and one that freshens up the driving genre a whole lot.

And since Yahtzee doesn't seem to think he has the experience to talk about how good the driving physics are I will for him. They are great. The cars all feel unique and are fun to drive. But they are all very prone to oversteer, as is in line with the car chase movie feel of the game. Once you get your head around that concept it becomes mush easier to understand.

I also noticed rubber-banding to be a bit of an issue in some of the races (mostly the ones where you had to get 2 cars to finish at the front of the pack, mostly because the car you don't control at the time decides that the best thing to do in a race is stop and have a coffee at the cafe) but the problem is easily solved by just crashing out the other competitors.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I had a feeling he'd like it, the general tone I've gotten from reviews have been: surprisingly fun.

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
Even though I don't listen to reviews often, I may consider buying this game.

I played Driv3r years ago on the PS2 and that game sucked big time, and I played Wheelman and that was a Vin Diesel Driver game with tricks that can be seen from all of the Fast and Furious movies. It was okay, but the story was short and some of the challenges were tough. Once I get my PS3 fixed either this week or next, I'll be able to buy the games I want. Either this or Dead Island.

Balkan

Sep 5, 2011
The first thing that I thinked when I saw driver sf was that this game will be fucking shit , but then after watching the demo I was really suprised about how good it actually looks .
And Im the worst racing player on the planet .

Feb 13, 2008
Oh god, the Trekkies are gonna be in uproar.

It's odd, there seems to be an almost film-school demarcation between the GTA series and the Driver series based solely on whether the pedestrians act like numptys or not.

Might give it a look though.

beetrain

Nov 17, 2009
Wow, I hadn't heard anything about the posession mechanic (probably because I don't care about racers either)but now I'm pretty interested. Lately I'm into games with posession, like E.Y.E or Geist.

Midnight Voyager

Jan 7, 2008
I take it Yahtzee's not a fan of NWN2, then.

That game's Rocks Fall Everybody Dies, No We Mean This Literally makes my eyes fountain blood.

Juan Regular

Jun 3, 2008
I remember making all kinds of weird david lynch inspired short movies with drivthreer, so I might give just give it a shot for the director mode alone.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
I was mostly just making fun of this game until some real gameplay videos and reviews started going up. It sounds so bat-shit crazy as a concept I never imagined it might actually be a good game in the end.

I will likely pick this up at some point now. If even Yahtzee can be taken by it's charms, then a bonifide petrol head should love it.

Also I guess we won't waste any time hoping for a Forza 4 ZP with the whole "not into cars" thing being so heavily on display in this one. Ah well, probably for the best.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I'm pleasantly surprised by this review and the fact that Yahtzee loved it.

I might give it a shot when it comes out on the PC on the 27th.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
Wonder what his other top 5 will be, Saints Row The Third me thinks :3
I was wondering the same thing. Of course being a big fan of Dead Rising, I naturally hope he'll pick up and help promote Off The Record since he liked DR2 so much last year. And maybe Batman if it turns out as good as well all hope it does.

GameChanger

Sep 5, 2011
"He's bad, you're good, alright?"

I want that on a T-Shirt. Now.

EDIT: Also, why does everyone think he's being ironic, as soon as he says something positive about a game? It was pretty obvious he did really like it, and even if I'm wrong, why is it such a big deal. These reviews are meant to be funny, AND criticize games. If you can't handle not having the same opinion as some popular guy whom everyone on this forum supposedly likes, then why are you even on the internet?

Okay, I'm sorry for that.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
I remember playing Driver sometime back in the PS1 era. Didn't think much of it back then so i watched this with low expectations.

I hadn't even heard this game was out until now so i figured it's be some under-the-radar bull shit that stemmed from a forgotten time.

Boy, do i feel stupid now? The whole posession thing actually sounds pretty interesting, and since he and i apparently have the same relationship with driving games then maybe i WILL change my mind for once just because he liked it.

Von Dean

Feb 10, 2010
I liked the whole "astral projection" thingy but I played the demo and I felt that the cars handled terribly, plus the black cop-partner is too clicheed for me to enjoy

elitestranger1

Nov 20, 2009
they dont need cars in oz they just hop on one of those insainly large birds that look like a fether duster on legs... an emu, thats the word