Zero Punctuation: Driver: San Francisco

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Hm! You know, I was going to be upset that he didn't review Dead Island, but for the most part I liked this review. I'm gonna have to try this game now. Never heard of it, never thought of it, but now that I have... It might be intriguing.

vivster

Oct 16, 2010
great
first ZP that made me laugh since a long time ago
maybe gonna check that thing out

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
'I try to laugh about it, cover it all up with lies. I try to laugh about it, hiding the tears in my eyes. 'Cus boys...don't cry. Boooys doooon't cryyy.'

Damnit! That songs going to be stuck in my head all day! Huh? Oh right, the review. The gimmick and the ludicrous storyline does seem like it would be fun and I actually rather like racing games as it is, so this astral projection thing would be great to shake things up. No way in hell I'd pay full price for it, but if it drops down to about £15-20 then I might just check it out.

farscythe

Dec 8, 2010
yahtzee surprised me on this one heh but yea been loving driver for the few weeks ive had it now. only real gripe is the invisible walls (mostly because being able to shift out of cars at will makes me really want to try and get them stuck in odd places..having airwalls block me from landing in a tree is a little disappointing)

tzar.

Sep 14, 2011
I didn't only make this account to point out a spelling error in the video, I'm not that kind of person.....

Who am I kidding?
CURRENTLY CONTAINS A 'T' DANGNAMMIT

Oh.... also, I may encourage a friend to purchase this game, as I'm a plebite with no console or pc that could run this game

Greyslash

Jul 29, 2010
I like how near the end the song on the radio was Boys Don't Cry by The Cure. Great taste!

MissAshley

Jul 20, 2009
Is it just me, or does Yahtzee seemingly prefer games that have strong toy components over games that are purely goals and challenges?

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
Frankly, I'm glad they decided to reveal the whole "plot twist" very early on.

Imagine you would've learned in the final cutscene that everything was in his head... it would've felt like every other story that tried this:

like a complete ASSPULL...

as such we have a fun little delusion to play... not much unlike, say, a video game...
I like this a lot.

disappointed

Sep 14, 2011
Yes, I created an account just to growl about how physically demanding motorsport really is. Michael Schumacher started a trend for F1 drivers to get fit and now they all do it. Two hours pulling many G's of acceleration in every direction is exhausting and these guys have to be super fit. A single lap at racing speed would probably kill you. Yes Internet, that is an exaggeration. Anyway, enough troll food for you.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
The driving is kind of average, I found. Cars don't really control in a very realistic fashion, except for when it comes to breaking. By that I mean it's really fucking difficult to turn corners. On that note, there are some fun ideas behind it. I remember the mission I played where you have to get in first and second with two specific cars, so you have to essentially position them and then juggle between them so the AI didn't fuck up your hard work. Suprisingly fun.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
The Human Torch said:
The whole astral plane projection into other bodies (even if it's a dream) just seems terribly contrived to me. This has been a real deal breaker to me. Enjoyable video though.
So an innovative feature not seen anywhere else in any video game ever is a deal breaker to you? You're weird.

I have to say I'm surprised Yahtzee liked this game. I think is a lot of fun, but I expected him to hate it. This is definitely the best Driver in the series. The overall feel reminds me so much of Driver 1 for some reason. And that's a big plus.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
The Human Torch said:
The whole astral plane projection into other bodies (even if it's a dream) just seems terribly contrived to me. This has been a real deal breaker to me. Enjoyable video though.
So an innovative feature not seen anywhere else in any video game ever is a deal breaker to you? You're weird.
o_o leaping between bodies isn't exactly a new idea even for a game.

jyork89

Jun 29, 2010
I'm pretty sure Yatzhee hated on the exact same leaping between bodies thing in FEAR 3. Though I haven't played FEAR 3 so I can't really say if they are similar. Personally I didn't like Driver: San Francisco and thought it would be a new Yatzhee punching sack. Each to his own I guess.

disappointed

Sep 14, 2011
It should have been the perfect murder. Kill a man and disappear for fifty years. The witnesses all swear the killer was in his late teens or early twenties whereas you're pushing seventy. But then Aslan tried to blackmail you didn't he? Still, I would never have figured it out if you hadn't tried to dispose of the wardrobe.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Midnight Voyager said:
I take it Yahtzee's not a fan of NWN2, then.

That game's Rocks Fall Everybody Dies, No We Mean This Literally makes my eyes fountain blood.
Until you play Mask of the Betrayer, bizarrely subverting that bullshit in a totally unlikable way.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Wow. Unfortunately the review is meaningless in my opinion by what Yahtzee himself said... He hasn't played a lot of driving games.

The driving in Driver is absolutely atrocious. While I find the story to be interesting and the concept of 'shifting' to be a fresh new idea, the whole package falls flat on its face when the driving in a game called Driver is so weak and unwieldy.