Zero Punctuation: Elite: Dangerous - Space Truckin'

ShinobiJedi42

May 7, 2012
It seems like this game would appeal to me, mainly for the space exploration bits. It looks to me like this game is just Eve: Online Light, which is great because I like aspects of Eve, but it's a little too heavy for me. The problem is that I don't like just sitting staring at my screen and all of my podcasts are spent real-world driving into the boonies for my day job, so I get caught up on all my podcasts then. So I dunno, maybe I'll pick it up when it's cheap and I'm recovering from surgery or something. I just need to find a reason to have surgery...

prpshrt

Jun 18, 2012
Finding myself oddly enjoying space games off late... Started with FTL so will probably pick this up. Also "Longer than Anita Sarkeesian's list of grievances" LOL

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
So it is A trucking Simulator that takes place among the stars? Sounds interesting.

Also are you going to keep avoiding Smash Bros Yahtzee? It is the review we are all waiting for.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Solo-Wing said:
Also are you going to keep avoiding Smash Bros Yahtzee? It is the review we are all waiting for.
Nonsense! It's Crusader Kings II we're all waiting for.

And by "we" I mean "I".

Cidward

Jul 7, 2014
prpshrt said:
Finding myself oddly enjoying space games off late... Started with FTL so will probably pick this up. Also "Longer than Anita Sarkeesian's list of grievances" LOL
I went on an FTL binge this winter, so I'm also tempted. The thing is, FTL is a weirdly white-knuckle game. Every jump could lead to your death and you have to actively micro-manage the battles with other ships. The only real 'staring at my screen time' in it is spent weighing decisions that might help or destroy you. This doesn't sound too similar.

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
Free tips: look for independent/anarchy space stations/ports. 9 out of 10 times, they will have black markets.

Don't play online if you want to play as a trader since trying to complete a mission to deliver items for a small port in the middle of nowhere takes forever since people will be queued to use the 2/3 landing pads there, and increases the chances you'll be ganked by player pirates or player killers.

When warping to a new system turn as soon as you hit supercruse to keep from being pulled in by the star's gravity.

small

Aug 5, 2014
its not explained anywhere but basically you can shut down everything on your ship, turn on silent running and coast through the main gate hopefully not being detected up by security forces.

basically your options at the moment are deliver cargo, go exploring, go mining, bounty hunting and piracy

mining is a pain in the ass.. find an asteroid, chop a chunk off, find out what it is, go scoop it up, find out its 10% of a ton, and try to find the other 90% of a ton so you can sell it.

i do enjoy being able to just retrofit my general purpose ship into what ever i feel like doing, rip out all the cargo space and stick in scanners and im ready for exploring.

so yeah the game is very much eurotruck simulator with guns and space pirates, and the station interiors, etc do look samey.

im looking forward to future expansions where you can walk around your ship, walk around stations, even land on planets and go properly exploring.

one small thing i love is that when new exo planets are found you can expect them to be added to the game in a few days :D

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Well, I do enjoy doing that whole "listen to podcast and get to a destination"-thing from ETS2 (where I, ironically, have Yathzees 'Let's Drown out' next on my list once I finished the last two Counter Monkey)

Might give Elite a shot, too, in the future. When it's cheaper and I am sick of ETS2.

Jan 12, 2012
Solo-Wing said:
He's already done a review for it, kinda; it was an Extra Punctuation where he said he's not going to do a video because he doesn't like fighters, he doesn't like multiplayer-focused stuff, and he doesn't love Nintendo characters so much that he's willing to watch them leave their own unique and enjoyable games and punch each other because someone in marketing realised they could get more money if they used characters with fans regardless of whether or not they fit in the fighting genre.

OT: Elite: Dangerous sounds like the kind of thing I'd like, but would eat up way too much time for me to risk dipping a toe in.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Gotta admit, this has piqued my interest. Anyone out there who could tell me how Elite compares to Egosoft's X-Universe Games? As much as I love the latter I could go for something a bit different.

Klumaster

Dec 10, 2008
small said:
its not explained anywhere but basically you can shut down everything on your ship, turn on silent running and coast through the main gate hopefully not being detected up by security forces.
Alternative technique: Come in hard and fast, bolt off at 90 degrees if someone manages to start a scan before you reach the slot.
Alternative technique: Don't be a filthy criminal. Trust and obey.

D3s_ToD3s

Jan 17, 2012
I want a 4x Game, the size of the E-D Galaxy.

Also: Did he realy not have that much negative to say about that game O_O ?
Thats unusual.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
I've been playing online-only for the last month or so, and it's quite enjoyable. As in: No bad players to fuck up things. Firstly; the galaxy is so huge that your chances of actually running into another player is quite low. Secondly; the player base isn't your typical CoD-player.

While one of my space-trucking adventures, I suddenly get an incoming voice-call from someone. Since I'm playing with my Oculus Rift, I prefer to use my surround speakers to lessen the weight on my neck. I set communications up on my speakers and find my microphone. The voice chat has that real sort of "space radio" feel to it, with static noise and all that. Anyway, we have a small chat about what podcast I'm currently listening to (since it's on my speakers and he can hear it in the background), and I convince him that my current bounty is due to a friendly fire accident where no-one got hurt. We then part our own ways, his voice-comm becomes more and more static as i ride into the sunset.

Gone Rampant

Feb 12, 2012
prpshrt said:
Pretty much this concerning the Sarky joke. Nice to kick off 2015 with a bunch of positive reviews, Yahtzee, will make the first blood all the more satisfying.

LightningFast

Feb 6, 2013
Bedinsis said:
Solo-Wing said:
Nonsense! It's Crusader Kings II we're all waiting for.

And by "we" I mean "I".
And me. Keep dreaming, though: it came out in 2012. I doubt he'll go THAT far back to fill space, but CK2 is a wonderful game that can turn even the most sane person into a casual racist and an imperialist.

Jan 27, 2011
Question.

Just how intuitive is the combat?

I LIKE these kinds of trade-explore-hunt space games, but the last one I tried (Evochron Mercenary) had combat that was a bit too hard for me, so after my first real battle I just never left the safe starting zone out of fear, and grew bored quite quickly as a result. And the less said about X3 the better. I couldn't even finish the tutorial without getting annoyed enough to quit.

The fact that Yatzee said all the stuff can be mapped to a controller is heartening, though. If it plays anything like GoD Factory's combat (best space combat dogfighting game ever, IMO), I'm sure I'll be able to handle E:D, so...How intuitive IS it, for those who have played it?

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Wait, did he just call my favorite game of all time (X3: Reunion) dry and boring?

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
aegix drakan said:
And the less said about X3 the better. I couldn't even finish the tutorial without getting annoyed enough to quit.
But Reunion doesn't have a tutorial.