Zero Punctuation: Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

snowman6251

Nov 9, 2009
I too was a bit perplexed by the ending. It didn't really feel right to me.

Also yes, the health regen is absolutely the most important upgrade in the game and should be bought immediately upon starting.

I feel like one of my least favorite parts of the game was the shooting sections. The staff laser is just not entertaining. I'm surprised there was no mention of it because it really felt out of place to me.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
Lordofthesuplex said:
AlissaX70 said:
I'm glad he mention how this game was NOTHING RELATED TO JOURNEY TO THE WEST!!

Anyone wanna tell me why Western culture has this fascination with that story?

Leave that story to Damon Albarn, Ninja Theory...
I think I have a good reason why that can be summed up in three simple letters: D-B-Z.
It was mostly the original Dragon Ball that even cared about Journey to the West. Z sort of decided it was more important to be an action show whose forumla would be compied by most Shounen series for years to come.

As for why Western cultures truly love it is because it's popular elsewhere (where a lot less is lost in translation) and we're fascinated by this foreign and old story (the second part is why a lot of "classic" books are still being taught even though other books might have done what they did better or are clearer to read, or to put it simply, you could say there is a sort of "social nostalgia" for them). I imagine the eastern cultures probably have some western story they're fascinated with.

Lowbreed

Jul 4, 2009
Bad mic in this one or just not done encoding or some shit? Gave me a headache with the whole radio-y sound.

Anyway, good review, hadn't had a clue the game existed until about a week ago, not missing out on anything. God of War but... games are all the same, boring as tits.

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
There's been something wrong with the past few ZPs.
amusing and well-written as ever, just the sound quality has been low and Yahtzee's speech has slowed down significantly.

ziggy161

Aug 29, 2008
I never realised it was based on Journey to the West, now I want to watch Monkey Magic XD

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
AlissaX70 said:
I'm glad he mention how this game was NOTHING RELATED TO JOURNEY TO THE WEST!!

Anyone wanna tell me why Western culture has this fascination with that story?

Leave that story to Damon Albarn, Ninja Theory...
Dammit Ninja'd!! I wanted to bring that up :(

Meh anyway looking at how well Ninja Theory translates over stories really gives me a Humongous fear of what the New DmC will be like....

Dante has a Twin Sister!!!! -_- GO TO HELL NINJA THEORY

ShadowCoH316

Nov 16, 2007
That's the last straw. I could care less if this wasn't like journey to the west or that you thought the combat was shitty, all I really care about is that you overlooked the parts of this game that were actually really good, and instead, dwelled on 3 topics you had a problem with, especially considering that there is so much more to this than just 'those 3 things'. What about the subtle facial twitches, incredible attention to detail, the amazing voice acting and character acting, and the incredibly lovable characters? Instead you did what you always do and picked 3 molehills to make mountains of.

I'm officially done with you videos.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Too huma--OW! MAH BOLLOCKS!

But seriously, we all know HALO is based off the struggle of the Navajo.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Man I keep forgetting that all videos are an hour early. Funny review as usually even though I though it would be Vanquish this week.

Daniel Laeben-Rosen

Jun 9, 2010
I lol'd. I'm yet to play this game on the basis of not having any modern console(I'm getting there) so...
But I did enjoy this video. Somehow I always have the need for a quick laugh on a lazy wednesday afternoon. They tend to get so dreary.

I have a dare for you though. Try going one episode without saying the word "Dick". It's not a critique. It's just a dare. Do it and if you're ever in the neighborhood, I'll bake you a cake.

sunpop

Oct 23, 2008
I had happily forgot this game was coming out so thanks for that I guess. I'm not shocked this game has really nothing to do with Journey to the west this happens a lot someone takes an idea and mutilates it an nothing good tends to come of that.

I don't recall the part in Dante's Inferno where he cut down 100 enemies with death's scythe to unlock a new spell but perhaps the pages were stuck together.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
ShadowCoH316 said:
That's the last straw. I could care less if this wasn't like journey to the west or that you thought the combat was shitty, all I really care about is that you overlooked the parts of this game that were actually really good, and instead, dwelled on 3 topics you had a problem with, especially considering that there is so much more to this than just 'those 3 things'. What about the subtle facial twitches, incredible attention to detail, the amazing voice acting and character acting, and the incredibly lovable characters? Instead you did what you always do and picked 3 molehills to make mountains of.

I'm officially done with you videos.
That's kind of the point of the exercise. They are not reviews, and anyone who thinks otherwise is a blithering idiot.

Misho-

May 20, 2010
Wow am so happy, when I got this game with Spiderman Castlevania and Front Mission Evolved, I said to myself... Yahtzee is only going to review Spiderman Shatty Dims... But no! So far 3 out of 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome!!

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
That whole "we don't actually know who the antagonist is" thing is what really pissed me off about FFXIII. Seriously, who was the big bad exactly? The sanctum? The fal'Cie? These random monsters i keep bumping into? That huge titan thing on Pulse? My future mother in law?

I know it's going off on a tangent, but that's one of my major pet peeves. And having only played a little bit of Enslaved so far i would guess your motivation for killing robots is, well, aren't they trying to take you back as slaves seeing as how you escaped a slaver ship? If they're completely unrelated plot elements, then that really is weird.

But did he actually like the game? It seems moaning about glowing platform ledges is a bit asinine considering he would just as easily ***** about the environments being too cluttered and being unable to tell what is and isn't climbable if they didn't. Although i agree with the "this isn't platforming" argument, i don't think it was meant to be platforming in the traditional sense. They never tried to make the game Prince of Persia v2.0. Seems like he enjoyed the story but found the gameplay elements weak, which seems to be a general consensus - that and the game is apparently short.

razing32

Feb 3, 2010
Is it just me or are there just console games on ZP lately.
What about PC games ?
Pway wid me ... :((

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
Fronzel said:
Theolos88 said:
It's hard to tell a good game from a bad one with Yahtzee... I understand, that its not the goal in these ranting reviews...
Kind of reaching for a facepalm macro here....I'll resist.

...but maybe some kind of shitometer would be appropriate to tell is the game worth buying or not?
It's kind of up to you to decide whether what he says adds up to the game having any interest for you. Try listening harder.
Troll harder

Theolos88 had a good point: Yhatzee sometimes mentions good things, but his goal is not to critique but to lampoon for comedic effect, so sometimes you get the feeling he's trying to tell you the game's good without actually outright saying it.

How about you stop with the cynicism and the "I'm So Witty" attitude? I'm really sick of that around here. It's spoiling the enjoyability of the forums