Zero Punctuation: Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
z3rostr1fe said:
So this was the game "Critical Miss" was referring to...

The Collectable Doodad Commandments [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/8230-The-Collectable-Doodad-Commandments]
Oh... Yes it was. Geez I've never heard of this game before these things popped up.

Grygor

Oct 26, 2010
tyriless said:
I starting to have an issue with Yahtzee and his criticism. He recommends nothing. I am all for him verbally dressing down the excesses of this industry but a critic tends to recommend something now and then. Now, I am not asking for him to go easy, but for Christ sake, he needs to find something he likes. The last game I remember him recommending was Bioshock and that came out years ago. Even in that case, he said something along the lines that, it didn't suck too bad so it must be GAME OF THE YEAR. Without any positives recommendation, his reviews tend to be less criticism and more observational humor. There is no purpose beyond his humor if he can't, once in a while, stake his rep on a game that he thinks is actually good. No flames please, or personal attacks. I am just looking for other thoughts on this issue.
You know, every time I see some say something like this,it makes me wonder if they're actually paying attention, because there have been several favorable ZPs - the Amnesia: Dark Descent ZP was somewhat favorable, as were the ZPs for Just Cause 2, Infamous, Prototype, Saint's Row 2, Fallout 3, Portal, Call of Duty 4, and No more Heroes, just off the top of my head, to say nothing of the ZPs for Shadow of the Colossus, Silent Hill 2, Painkiller, Psychonauts, and the PS2 Prince of Persias. Obviously there are more, but I'm too lazy to wade through the archives to spot the rest, but somewhere in the neighborhood of 10% to 20% of all ZPs are ultimately positive.

ward0630

Nov 25, 2009
That sucked off in a wind tunnel line ought to go in the best of 2010 which I PRAY will come out before Feburary since all Ytzee needs to do is copy and past half his videos and call it a day.

lulec

Oct 18, 2010
The funniest part about the review is the part about the giant lazer death scorpions. It makes sense if you play it.

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
Grygor said:
tyriless said:
I starting to have an issue with Yahtzee and his criticism. He recommends nothing. I am all for him verbally dressing down the excesses of this industry but a critic tends to recommend something now and then. Now, I am not asking for him to go easy, but for Christ sake, he needs to find something he likes. The last game I remember him recommending was Bioshock and that came out years ago. Even in that case, he said something along the lines that, it didn't suck too bad so it must be GAME OF THE YEAR. Without any positives recommendation, his reviews tend to be less criticism and more observational humor. There is no purpose beyond his humor if he can't, once in a while, stake his rep on a game that he thinks is actually good. No flames please, or personal attacks. I am just looking for other thoughts on this issue.
You know, every time I see some say something like this,it makes me wonder if they're actually paying attention, because there have been several favorable ZPs - the Amnesia: Dark Descent ZP was somewhat favorable, as were the ZPs for Just Cause 2, Infamous, Prototype, Saint's Row 2, Fallout 3, Portal, Call of Duty 4, and No more Heroes, just off the top of my head, to say nothing of the ZPs for Shadow of the Colossus, Silent Hill 2, Painkiller, Psychonauts, and the PS2 Prince of Persias. Obviously there are more, but I'm too lazy to wade through the archives to spot the rest, but somewhere in the neighborhood of 10% to 20% of all ZPs are ultimately positive.
Two other ones I can think of are Dead Rising 2 and Halo Reach (at least I think he liked that last one).

internetzealot1

Aug 11, 2009
When I played the demo, I immediately realized that this would be a no-buy for me. The setting was fresh. The characters were interesting. The plot was compelling. I even enjoyed the combat. But the platforming. Oh, the platforming. Everytihg Yahtzee said was true. Spinning my controller around wildly tapping A....sucked.

CopperBoom

Nov 11, 2009
I like it...

...by which I mean, the idea of a game involving a spunk gun.
Enslaved, sounded like shite before I heard it was shite.

Misho-

May 20, 2010
It's actually a great game :) But still this video is fun with all its hyperboles.

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
SO true about 'platforming' by waggling the thumbstick around and mashing jump. Made the platforming pretty 'autopilot', really, adding in that you can't really fall off anything. Also, what was with the repetitive boss fights?

Having said that, I agree with Susan Arendt's comments that it's nice to see a lush, beautiful post-apocalyptic non-wasteland for once, and that the voice acting is pretty good (even if Trip does grate on the nerves, it's well-spoken grating). =)

The game was nice to play once, but didn't have much replay value for me, I'm afraid. Hilariously apt critique as always from Yahtzee.

kurokotetsu

Proud Master
Sep 17, 2008
Sorry to eb a bit pedantic. The game doesn't seem to have any resemblance to Journey to the West, but Yahtzee, the book isn't about Sun Wukong, it is the journey of Xuanzang to get the Buddhist scriptures to India, while reaching the enlightment with his three disciples. So, if the game's narrative is focused on Monkey intstead of Tripitaka, seems unlikely to be anything like the book. Also, that Sha Wujing seems to be ignored. yeah, this is as a good adaptation as Dragon Ball. It may still be interesting an fun story, but why say it is an adaptation if it has nothing to do with anything?

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
You barely mentioned the voice acting or Andy Serkis, i.e. the last ditch effort of the game's selling points. Now, go write an entire article about it in Extra Punctuation.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
So this game didn't really impress me at all (felt rather middle of the road), but this review felt like it was really having to dig for criticisms. I played the demo and it was fun enough. I suppose to full game could be different, but I don't think it's all that bad.