Zero Punctuation: Evolve - One vs Multiplayer

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Prankman said:
Except he was 100% wrong about the DLC. There isn't $100 at launch, there's $60 worth of optional cosmetics and then the $25 Hunting Season pass, which is for content that isn't created yet. And if people are really going to carry on about day one cosmetics, they need to get a life and read up how game development works. Day One cosmetic DLC is completely and utterly fine, and it doesn't effect anybody at all.
In Australia it's $100 and a bloody rip off, they can fuck right off in my opinion. Sick and tired of these over priced jokes, I've had FAR more fun with my $30 copy of Homeworld Remastered and Grey Goo than any AAA game has given me these last few years.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Actually Yahtzee, I decided to check and 52! = 8x10^67 which is considerably less than the number of atoms in the universe by most estimates which place it at around 10^79.

Just sayin.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
The sequel will obviously be sponsored by Velvet REVOLVEr.

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
Racecarlock said:
"Eventually your interest peters out and you just stop. Here, I'll show you what I mean."

Well that was fucking ominous.
So it wasn't just me thinking that. It'd be a hell of an exit.

Galad

Nov 4, 2009
Racecarlock said:
"Eventually your interest peters out and you just stop. Here, I'll show you what I mean."

Well that was fucking ominous.
I understood that as him wrapping up the review with these words, ending it when you don't expect it, nothing ominous, really.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
cpukill said:
Atmos Duality said:
cpukill said:
...holy shit I wasted a lot of time in Mass Effect 3's multiplayer.
I know the feeling. Even recently.
*glares at Payday2 and sighs*
Really? Damn...I was actually seriously considering that one.
Payday 2 is quite fun actually, I play it regularly. Though I do admit I haven't played it in a few weeks because I've been playing Evolve, and some single player games that currently have my interest. But I regularly go back to PD 2 and still enjoy it.

OT: I like the game. It's a fun bit of multiplayer, that has a cooperative design to it, which I personally love. I prefer the Evacuation mode to Skirmish, mostly because my personality isn't really geared towards direct competition. I don't like playing against other people as much as playing with them. So Evacuation is right up my alley. The mixture of maps and conditions makes the matches varied and interesting, and the mixture of different Hunter combinations requires you to alter your strategy quite often.

This game might not be for a lot of people, but if you like playing versus in games like L4D2, and really enjoyed it when you got to be the Tank on the infected side, then playing as the Monster is really up your alley. I've enjoyed playing as the Monster the few times I did well at it, but I'm honestly not that good against other players, so it has less appeal. But that's ok, 'cause I can satisfy my sneaky need in Solo mode and slaughter bots, improving my tactics. Still, I don't skirmish much, because assuming I did win against the Hunters, I feel bad for killing 4 of them, and possibly causing some heated words. But that's just me. Some people thrive on that, and really enjoy the Monster.

Overall, I like the game a lot. I like the progression system, I like the different types of Hunters, and how they perform their roles in different ways. It's not a perfect game no, but I enjoy it. Now if they could just fix the damn jetpack consumption bug, things would be awesome.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Diablo1099 said:
Good point on the progression model and it does leave me to wonder if many people are still playing L4D/L4D2.
The game averages tens of thousands of players each day. It's consistently in the top 20 to top 30 games played on Steam - even six years after it's release. And there are still Workshop contributions flowing in from the community.

The game is most assuredly not dead. Ignore the naysayers. They just have chips on their shoulders, for some reason.

As for Left 4 Dead 3, Valve's never said anything on the matter, but there have been a bevy of clues that it was (and could still be) in development.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131719-Leaked-Source-Engine-2-Screenshot-Hints-At-Left-4-Dead-3
http://kotaku.com/valve-tour-leaks-left-4-dead-3-1036602962
http://moviepilot.com/posts/2015/02/12/left-4-dead-3-so-valve-are-working-on-it-with-the-source-2-engine-2687062

Now, whether or not we'll actually see the game released is another matter.

iller3

Nov 5, 2014
IceForce said:
So, are monsters just really OP, or was Yahtzee actually good for once?
Define "Good" plz ... from the gameplay I watched, being the biggest misanthrope you can be in avoiding people is how to be "good" at "monster". And we all know Yahtzee's got lots of skill at that. If the monster also cross-dressed, he probably would have enjoyed it enough to go back and play it next week too.

It kills me that the Hype-spewing arm of the press were trying to call this game a spiritual successor to Citizen Kabuto. It's like calling a Michael Bay film the spiritual successor to the Iron Giant just b/c they both feature a huge robot

Frank Slade

Feb 11, 2015
Titanfall is the closest thing we have to Tribes right now considering HiRez has abandoned another one of their games yet again (surprise, surprise) to zero-maintenance-of-servers hell.

Titanfall is fun and varied, it offers multiple ways of taking out both players and titans, the combat is faced paced and takes quite a bit of skill.

The graphics are also very good and the movement is fluid and responsive, which is also a +1000 points for me in today's "let's put realistic movement guys where if you strafe you move slower". Yeah, I play video games to mimmick real life, said no one ever.

The only thing that ruins it is the Smart pistol, which is like an AWP on crack. Also lots of people play it, it's rare that I have to wait more than 2 minutes of a game to start.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
IceForce said:
So, are monsters just really OP, or was Yahtzee actually good for once?
Eh, they're kind of OP, or at least 2 of them can be. The Kraken and Wraith are both really disgusting in how quickly they can trash your team. Granted, the Goliath can do the same thing, but it seems to be a lot easier with the power sets that Kraken/Wraith get. I think the biggest problem with them, is that in conjunction with the jetpack consumption bug, it's really easy to get roflstomped. Since the monsters (AI or player) tend to focus fire one target until it's actually dead, it's hard to escape. The jetpack bug basically means you end up using up WAY more fuel than you should be for your quick bursts of elevation/distance. You're supposed to just double-tap the spacebar, and get a quick boost, either straight up, or out. It's really handy for escaping Monster attacks. The problem however, is that you will frequently end up using like, 2/3's or all of your fuel, on one burst, and now your stuck on the ground (because you don't start regenning fuel until being on the ground...), unable to escape the monster who is now eating/humping your face.

But despite that very annoying bug, I find the game quite fun, and while I personally don't like playing the Monster as much as a Hunter, they mostly balance each other out pretty well.