Zero Punctuation: Exclusives Showdown

Crimsonmonkeywar

Oct 27, 2013
Aardvaarkman said:
Seeing as someone's already come back with a response. I'll tackle the other remark.

It seems that people often mistake the notion that the 'PC is a superior platform' as a subjective one of opinion. When most state that it is from the technical side. There's not a single "technical" point that consoles have over it's PC brethren. Save Kinect and PS EYE.

Truth is, that's not what needs to be debated. The games are. When you mention 'superior', even in sales(if you count the crappy mmo's and causal web-based games) it can be debated it's got one up.

So argue games, Like God of War(love that series), Uncharted, Forza, Gears, Halo, Ni No Kuni, Lost Odyssey, Mario. The community, your friends, types of users, number voice chating. The user experience, you go home and turn it on and boom, it works. Anything else to "elitist', of any platform even, comes across as an invalid statement and can and will be manipulated or corrected. Especially if you state stereotypes and media feed generalizations.

This very form is a testament to that.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
This video was worth it to hear Yahtzee sing. Last I remember him doing that was putting words to the Deus Ex opening theme song. I only recognized that "Driving Aboot" one as the Doctor Who theme What were the others?

Enizer

Mar 20, 2009
I'm looking forward to the next generation as a gamer, because the consoles are now all so similar in hardware, this generation should see much fewer annoying exclusives, giving me, as the customer: more choice.

On the declining PC sales:
I make my own pc every few years, and in the first time ever, I forsee, that my two year old CPU, is only 20% slower then a CPU that would cost me at least around 400$(and that would require me to replace the motherboard and RAM as well, not included in that price), and that likely will NOT change in the next two years.
It's still completely overkill for any game I run.
I'm bottlenecked by my video card, more then anything, and if this keeps up, I will replace the video card more then once before I need to consider changing my CPU.

If other gamers are feeling this, then obviously this results in fewer PC sales, but however, does NOT result in fewer PC using gamers.

Many people who only use their PC for banking and light browsing now use a tablet, as they dont need a full PC.
However, I'm fairly sure artists(regardless of field) or heavy work PC users(like programmers) can't do what they do now, better, on a tablet.
Those jobs need screen size, the bigger the better, and often raw power and memory tablets will never provide.

And then when/if those people want to play games, and already have a massive PC, a lot of them will want to play games on that PC.

So no, while PC sales might go down, and some computing tasks are no longer easyest on a PC, that does not mean that the PC is suddenly going to have a seazure and drop dead.

Plus PC game sales reports are dead bullshit, like skyrim had more current online steam players then global PC copies reported sold when it was new(and i dont think steam has day one pirates, in online mode), but that's another topic for another time :)

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Yeah, enjoy your shitty ports and excessive digital distribution, PC gamers. Before anyone gets upset, I am one. Built a new rig this year. But I'd be a fool to say that they're the be-all, end-all for gaming machines. Is PC getting Sengoku Basara 4? Final Fantasy X/X-2 remaster? Drakengard 3? Nope. You buy a PC for the same reason you buy consoles. Exclusives. Titles built for the system. Torchlight II, Red Orchestra 2, Company of Heroes, Civilization, Total War, etc. The added functionality of mods and other customization is also great. Anyway, don't tout one system over the other. They're all different. Do whatever works for you.

Sergey Sund

May 20, 2012
Did the basement thing at the end remind anyone else of Plato's cave analogy?
If so, then you like over-interpreting video game criticism as well.
We should hang out.

Enizer

Mar 20, 2009
Dead Century said:
Yeah, enjoy your shitty ports and excessive digital distribution, PC gamers. Before anyone gets upset, I am one. Built a new rig this year. But I'd be a fool to say that they're the be-all, end-all for gaming machines. Is PC getting Sengoku Basara 4? Final Fantasy X/X-2 remaster? Drakengard 3? Nope. You buy a PC for the same reason you buy consoles. Exclusives. Titles built for the system. Torchlight II, Red Orchestra 2, Company of Heroes, Civilization, Total War, etc. The added functionality of mods and other customization is also great.
Pretty much this for me as a gamer, I bought a WII, because Zelda, largely, and I bought a PC, because I find messing with the hardware fun, and I just love steam sales :)
I did not buy a PS3 or an Xbox360, mostly because each of those only had only a couple of exclusives I kind of wanted, and that was an absurd price tag for so few games.
I did buy sevral xbox360 controllers for use with my pc though, because some games ARE better with a controller.

heroicbob

Aug 25, 2010
I really hate exclusives it sucks for the person who likes games from both platforms, dead rising got one PlayStation release and then never again.
Boy I'm glad that metal gear solid is a PC game too this time around too

let's rock

Jun 15, 2011
DTWolfwood said:
welcome back to the glorious PC master Race! XD lol
Gorrath said:
Aardvaarkman said:
geldonyetich said:
I'd say it's less, "oh look, the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race actually happened" and more, "oh look, the next gen consoles committed suicide."
Well, that's certainly a logical conclusion to draw from the new consoles having record launch sales, while PC sales are continuing to decline. Sure.
Given that PCs are used for far more than gaming, your comparison there is hogwash. PC sales have declined because many people who used pcs for light apps like social networking can now do so much more readily on mobile devices. People are buying more PCs than ever, it's just that many of those "PCs" are in the form of a "phone" or "tablet". With the massive boom in PC game sales, which is the actual metric we would use to track pc gaming growth or decline, it can hardly be said that pc gaming is declining.
This is correct. Pc gaming is on the rise, mostly due to the public double suicide that these consoles are. For instance, steam has beaten xbox live in active users )http://www.thinkdigit.com/Gaming/Steam-beats-Xbox-Live-hits-65-million_18290.html). Also steam is free.

IrisNetwork

Sep 11, 2013
Awww yiss, PC gaming master race. You want to play a good game? Let me emulate the PS2 on it. A shame about the lack of reverse compatibility on next gen. Choosing between old and new gen is kinda like choosing between a huge bunch of games we already established as good and a small bunch of new ones that we're not quite sure of.

Maybe you should start new Zero Punctuation episodes with your own singing. The guitar music is often much louder than the rest of the video and forces me to adjust my volume.

Still, no BF4? Gary's Incident: Day one? Mario 3D World vs Rayman Legends?

Vale

May 1, 2013
Spreading "civilization" is a country fucking mile worse than the pedestrian cork shite xenophobia and imperialistic chucklefuck murder extravaganza that gets pissed on in the name of political correctness and the pseudo-self-distancing circlejerk bullshit of current media and WESTERN SOCIETY culture. Nobody got the fucking right to declare a culture superior, and WESTERN SOCIETY, the bloated stodgy old fuck, is completely incapable of realizing that. "Modernity" is just a fucking fake title you put on "White Man's Burden" so WESTERN SHIT FUCK doesn't realize that it should commit cultural suicide and start building something entirely anew if it were to be judged on any scale of morality where it doesn't end up outweighing the institution of fucking genocide.
SMASH THE STATE
BURN YOUR FLAGS
SCORCH THE EARTH AND SPREAD THE DOOM

*ahem*
BECAUSE THEY NEED TO KNOW

let's rock

Jun 15, 2011
Jman1236 said:
Not to flame but if you think about it, PC is more expensive since you have to upgrade individual hardware pieces every 6 months or so just to play the latest games and there's no grantee that they will run because a program you have in the background or your current hardware configuration will not get along with the game.

This is why I mostly stick to console gaming, since you only have to take out a loan every 5-7 years.
Have you seen the steam sales, and the humble bundles? Plus you don't HAVE to upgrade, if you don't your rig will never get any more powerful, but the consoles don't get more powerful over time so it's a pretty bad argument in the pc vs console wars.

irok

Jun 6, 2012
PC master race! join us, we have a steam summer sale and our graphics are fancier then either of them.

Crimsonmonkeywar

Oct 27, 2013
heroicbob said:
I really hate exclusives it sucks for the person who likes games from both platforms, dead rising got one PlayStation release and then never again.
Boy I'm glad that metal gear solid is a PC game too this time around too
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/1hpws1/the-final-bosman-thanks-for-nothing
Great vid talking about that

Edit: Now the incoming 'master race' comments are trashing on everything I said in this forum......oh well.

Enizer

Mar 20, 2009
irok said:
PC master race! join us, we have a steam summer sale and our graphics are fancier then either of them.
actually it's autumn sale, as of about two hours ago :D

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
That....that was brilliant Mr.Croshaw..simply brilliant! *sheds a tear*

You have taken all my thoughts about this "next gen" consoles and made it into this video. For that I thank you and congratulate you.

slysean

Jul 16, 2012
To be fair I can't think of a single exclusive I want. I loved Infamous as a series, but I can't imagine how they are going to actually design a third game since the second one did completely end, no matter the ending you picked. So I can't help but get a Bioshock 2 flashback.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
IrisNetwork said:
Still, no BF4? Gary's Incident: Day one? Mario 3D World vs Rayman Legends?
I'm wondering this too. I desperately want to see a Rayman Legends review considering the amount of praise Origins got.