Zero Punctuation: F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate

xbeaker

Sep 11, 2007
Desetes said:
njsykora said:
I was waiting and waiting and seriously hoping for him to mention the Art of Theft. Should've known he wasn't going to let it go unnoticed.
He did mention it....look at the end.
re-read njsykora's post. He knows he mentioned it. That was his whole point. But he uses a kind of double negative.

jadedcritic

Nov 21, 2007
I'm hearing various calls for Monolith to move on - and while I can actually understand that, the catch is, I thought THEY DID. Here's the thing, article I read a while back, although frankly, I don't remember where I saw it. Basically said that Monolith had split off from their publisher and that the F.E.A.R. license had gotten carved up in the process. By some wierd, inexplicable legal-logic, Monolith had retained the rights to the story and characters, but the publishers had retained the rights to the F.E.A.R. franchise name. I suppose in the land of middle managers, such a deal might make sense, but translated for average people like me it basically means that Monolith is working on a F.E.A.R. sequel, but they can't CALL IT F.E.A.R. I forget what it's actually being called. When I get home I might root around in my magazines, see if I can find that article; but in the meantime, I did want to post if only to tell people that want Monolith to move on, they won't have to wait long. (Theorhetically, that's why some of these expansions are sucking so much - Monolith isn't actually creating them. Perseus Mandate is by Timegate Studios.)

VMerken

Sep 12, 2007
Well, that's basically what expansion packs do over the years - serving up more of the same. So "it's the same" is not something I'd really hold against Perseus Mandate. It's not like it's trying to sell itself as a hot new IP. But yeah, the review is pretty much spot on.

Oh, and a small rhetorical question to YeOldeMunger: So if one were to pitch the name of every existing video game to Yahtzee, does that mean you'd be a bit disappointed next time he does a Zero Punctuation review?

drunkymonkey

Dec 12, 2006
The copious nosebleed bit was brilliant, but yeah...this one is hardly a favourite, although that's understandable.

the_carrot

Nov 8, 2007
I own fear, but even the first game is a bit of a drag. The uniform enemies just make it really tedious after a while. My system can render the old one with fair quality, settings set on high, but like many games, the graphics don't make up for the gameplay. (I fear crysis will suffer the same fate) Adding dynamic elements through programming like more realistic physics and better AI are great, but overboard textures and needless detail just suck up processing power. I think games today should be about directx 8 compatible. Now to completely sail away...toodles!

beoweasel

Nov 26, 2007
Papou said:
I think Yahtzee like Assassin's Creed too much, that's why I didn't do a review about the bloody game :eek:P.
I think everyone is forgetting that just because Yahtzee reviews a game, doesn't mean he hates it. As said, in his Bioshock review, "If my Psychonauts review taught me anything, its that nobody likes it when I'm being nice to a game..."

And I don't see why people always get pissy when Yahtzee doesn't sing praises for every fucking game he reviews. Its his opinion, and its understandable if you disagree, but the way some people react to his reviews, its like he shot their dog or something. (Note, that last bit isn't targeted at the quoted writer, just me ranting my easily portable soap-box.)

SacrificiaLamb

Nov 14, 2007
He sounds exhausted. Oh well, it's just another crappy shooter anyway. Crysis was a massive disappointment as well.

Oct 31, 2007
alter Egon said:
I think yatzee should review himself for being such a dork and reviewing games nobody cares about
I believe he reviews those games because The Escapist gives him the games he will review, he doesn't get to pick what he wants to review as he has specified in certain clips, so he just does what he's told i guess.

Its like the Escapist has a set of writers and each gets assigned a game, that's why you don't get to see 2 reviews from different persons of the same game (please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong).

Anyway, about the review: good one Yahtzee my man, just about what i was expecting of the game, good to see its more of the same.

cheers

Lord Scottish

Nov 28, 2007
Thanks for the info jadedcritic. I guess my ignorance of what happened to this franchise just goes to show what a short life cycle the original F.E.A.R. had with me.

Papou

Oct 12, 2007
beoweasel said:
Papou said:
I think Yahtzee like Assassin's Creed too much, that's why I didn't do a review about the bloody game :eek:P.
I think everyone is forgetting that just because Yahtzee reviews a game, doesn't mean he hates it. As said, in his Bioshock review, "If my Psychonauts review taught me anything, its that nobody likes it when I'm being nice to a game..."

And I don't see why people always get pissy when Yahtzee doesn't sing praises for every fucking game he reviews. Its his opinion, and its understandable if you disagree, but the way some people react to his reviews, its like he shot their dog or something. (Note, that last bit isn't targeted at the quoted writer, just me ranting my easily portable soap-box.)
Seriously, I don't care if Yahtzee like or not the game his reviewing. As long as he's doing it in the great way we know he can. I'm just wondering why he did a review about a game he don't seems to care about and no one seems to care about, when A LOT of big titles have coming out like CoD4, Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, etc.

Anyway what I really wanted to say is, good job Yahtzee another great review but why THIS game (expansion s**t) over anything else?

Chis

Nov 28, 2007
Desetes said:
"Also could the person who made a ZP-style review of Art of Theft while I was away please forward his name and address to the Escapist so that I can burn his house down"

LOL
Thing is, there are TWO of these reviews.

I presume Yahtzee is referring to the idiotic northerner who did the slapdash, half-arsed copy. The OTHER one is by an American chap called GSM who - enunciation troubles notwithstanding - did a very good job.

Oh and, for my first post... I have to admit I played through and enjoyed Perseus Mandate. I love the combat. I mean, really REALLY enjoy it. But yes, the level design is just a joke.

eggdog14

Oct 17, 2007
"Could the person who did a ZP-style review of Art of Theft while i was away please forward his name and address to Escapist Magazine so i can burn his house down."\

Ha. i was expecting this.

Undertowstudios

Nov 14, 2007
It seemed indeed that the jetlag was pretty bad. Yahtzee really wasn't in to it in this one, and he definatly sounded different.

It's still a good review, and i agree that naming has become a major issue with today's games, but then again, that same thing can be said about the plots of movies of the last 20 years or so, it's hard to make something really original when almost everything has been done or taken already.

I do agree that maybe we could do with a different game besides FPS games, and a good RPG sounds good around now, maybe if something like a new Neverwinter Nights expansion was released, that would give Yahtzee something to talk about, and i don't mean in a bad way, those games are great, but then again, i'm a geek that loves a good Dungeons and Dragons game.

skim172

Nov 28, 2007
One thing that should be noted:

The FEAR expansion packs are not made by Monolith Studios, the original FEAR creators.

Monolith parted ways with their original publisher. However, the publisher retained rights to the name and the original work: hence the crappy expansion packs. As well as the nonsensical names.

Monolith Studios is currently working on a true sequel, with a new engine, story, and everything, under a new name: "Project: Origin."

The website: http://www.projectorigingame.com/

Scypemonk

Proud TBB Warrior
Sep 26, 2007
Lord Scottish said:
Same experience with F.E.A.R. here too. A really great game a couple of years ago but overpriced for its length and you needed a $10 million rig to run it properly. Liked the game, played the demo for the 1st expansion. Don't care about this one. It's time for Monolith to move on.
Monolith doesn't make F.E.A.R. anymore, Seirra does. Monolith lost the rights to make more F.E.A.R. games in court, and are now working on the REAL sequel, project Origin. Seirra is just making money on a popular name.

Scypemonk

Proud TBB Warrior
Sep 26, 2007
Lord Scottish said:
Same experience with F.E.A.R. here too. A really great game a couple of years ago but overpriced for its length and you needed a $10 million rig to run it properly. Liked the game, played the demo for the 1st expansion. Don't care about this one. It's time for Monolith to move on.
Monolith doesn't make F.E.A.R. anymore, Seirra does. Monolith lost the rights to make more F.E.A.R. games in court, and are now working on the REAL sequel, project Origin. Seirra is just making money on a popular name.

TuxedoZombie

Nov 23, 2007
Nice as always, though not as brilliant as usual. Seemed like he was trying to fit a lot in 3 minutes and thus had to rush through or something. Either way, nice to see more reviews!!!

Tumbler360

Nov 28, 2007
FEAR? You reviewed FEAR instead of Assassin's Creed or Mass Effect? Or Super Mario Galaxy!? This is 2 weeks in a row where really great games have come out and you review something nobody cares about!?

You're losing your edge, it's been almost a month since there was a decent game reviewed.

Suggestions for next week:

Mass Effect.
Call of Duty 4.
Assassins Creed.
Drakes Fortune.
Ratchet and Clank.
Super Mario Galaxy.