Zero Punctuation: Fallout 3

Ryuzaki

The Public Face of L
Nov 5, 2008
derpa said:
Yea none of the fans would have liked it *eye roll*
Stop moaning. Why don't you back up your claims with some actual reasoning. Your opinion is not the law, you may be entitled to it, but that also means people are allowed to disagree with you.

internutt

Aug 27, 2008
The opening took me off guard. Pretty funny. All in all I guess thats all Fallout 3 is, a re-skinned and improved upon Oblivion.

Still enjoying the game though!

HadesWTF

Jun 4, 2008
UGH, I typed out a lot of words then the stupid fucking forum jutted me onto a page and erased my post. In short.

- I have the same problem with Far Cry 2.
- Fallout 3 was amazing.
- Im looking forward to your disappointment of Mirrors Edge. It's a game that is 3 hours max if you use guns and 5 hours if you don't because you will have to repeat the same tedious room 50+ times before you finally get it right.

VMerken

Sep 12, 2007
So dare I say it? Is this Oblivion With Guns? Why yes it is! Good effort, it's certainly "next generationalised", nothing groundbreaking though, so moving on.

My stance on Fallout 3 converges with that of No Mutants Allowed (how's that for content?), except that I do agree that Bethesda can do whatever they want with the (non-FOOL) franchise, since they bought it and you know, their house, their rules. In my opinion, Gunsblivion doesn't even come close to the originals. But I guess I'm too old skoolz about things now since I like story telling, atmosphere, fitting music, voice acting, believable animations, strategy and stuff like that.

I've read another Fallout 3 review from this new skoolz journalist in a Belgian periodical and he stated as a negative point that the game still had a kind of "RPG" in it, which meant you'd have to *gasp* sit through dialogues and such.

New skoolz, man. Them's the beats now.

Ilvaldyr

Nov 19, 2008
I'm still enjoying Fallout 3; I'm judging it by as a standalone game and not as a franchise; but the Oblivion comparisons are definately ones I made myself about 5 minutes in, but I don't mind that at all.. Oblivion was a great game.

I've played both the PS3 and PC versions of the game; on the PC it tends to crash fairly frequently, and I'm not hugely impressed with the sensitivity on manual aiming on the PS3, which makes fighting a fast-moving enemy in close quarters a nightmare. VATS solves that problem, but I do incongruously feel like I'm copping out whenever I use it. Maybe I am, or just need more practice on the PS3 or a more responsive controller or something.

I play F3 on the hardest possible setting and that really does mitigate the issue of having tons of cash/ammo/stims early in the game. Playing on the easier settings, it's perfectly possible to run around for hours two-shotting things with your noob-pistol; and that's no fun.. this does however lead to even faster (it's already very fast) levelling as you gain more XP for killing enemies in higher difficulty settings.

Probably the most annoying thing though is that the main quest is too short and once you beat it the game ends and you can't continue exploring. I'm also not a huge fan of the character customization system, specifically the skillbooks and bobbleheads. You max out your Sneak and Lockpicking skills because you want to pick Very Hard locks and stealth around, only to find so many (now useless) bobbleheads/skillbooks in the wilderness that you feel like a moron for wasting about a third of your characters ENTIRE skillpoint allocation.

So, you restart and are so paranoid about spending points that your character ends up with lots of low-mid level skills, sucks at basically everything, and spends the whole game either microscopically analyzing each location in case there's a skillbook/bobblehead there or researching the 'net/buying the strategy guide and spoiling the immersion factor.

My other big problem; the game takes quite a while to really branch out and let you choose your preferences. On my first run through, I invested heavily into Energy Weapons on the basis that "Laz0rz are cool." only to find that they were incredibly hard to find in the earlier levels and that Small Guns were everywhere.

thetragicclown

May 29, 2008
derpa said:
Yea none of the fans would have liked it *eye roll*
I think you're a bit lost. You see, this is the Zero Punctuation forum.

The forums for never-satisfied, "It's not Van Buren!" Fallout "fans" are over here [http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/].

Toiboi

Nov 14, 2008
until your eyes fall out FALLOUT 3 that is lol wow that was so corny but its so funny to watch a guy ramble on like this because its all true great job

lockgar

Nov 5, 2008
VMerken said:
So dare I say it? Is this Oblivion With Guns? Why yes it is! Good effort, it's certainly "next generationalised", nothing groundbreaking though, so moving on.

My stance on Fallout 3 converges with that of No Mutants Allowed (how's that for content?), except that I do agree that Bethesda can do whatever they want with the (non-FOOL) franchise, since they bought it and you know, their house, their rules. In my opinion, Gunsblivion doesn't even come close to the originals. But I guess I'm too old skoolz about things now since I like story telling, atmosphere, fitting music, voice acting, believable animations, strategy and stuff like that.

I've read another Fallout 3 review from this new skoolz journalist in a Belgian periodical and he stated as a negative point that the game still had a kind of "RPG" in it, which meant you'd have to *gasp* sit through dialogues and such.

New skoolz, man. Them's the beats now.
O god, no more mutant forums, I believe someone had said something like this. ?All of the normal people are no longer a part of the 'Fallout Community,' they're just fans of the games. The people who are a part of the 'Fallout Community' have been refined and distilled over time into glittering gems of hatred."

http://www.nma-fallout.com/content.php?page=features&id=14

PopcornAvenger

Jul 15, 2008
Oh, hell yes!

YAHTZEE!

If you want to have fun, next review: Cooking Mama, Mama Kills Animals (Peta's Unauthorized Version).

Xaintrix

Sep 19, 2008
I have to go to a specialty store just to get my Branston. Really, it's worth every penny.

Bring Out the Branston!

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
Royas said:
The opening was a real hoot, actually got a "WTF?" from me before I realized what was happening.
Yeah i had a "WTF?!" moment myself.
Im not laughing as much as i used to at these, but i guess it must be because Yahtzee isn't reviewing games that _I_ have any interest in or am excited about. But keep up the good work Yahtzee.

Pablosdog

Nov 17, 2008
Funny this talk about the the fallout fans as automatically hating fallout 3.

What the hell?

Even Brother None liked some parts of it.

I view it a as a flawed but overall fun game. It's better than Oblivon, but there are so many glaring errors in the game I'm surprised Yahtzee didn't pick up on. Namely (Lame Story, Crap A.I, Houses that stand around in amazing condition for 200 years, clunky combat system, horrible horrible dialogue,godawful facial texturing, and a terrible terrible ending.)

And no, fallout 1 and 2 did NOT play anything like this game. Not even close.

This general hate of NMA and its posters is getting old. Most of the reasonable people at NMA are actually having some fun with it.

In response though to those that hate the game. Wouldn't you be a little miffed when a sequel to a game that you've been waiting for for 10 years ended up having LESS of almost everything and simplified gameplay. Not to mention killing off one of your favorite characters, raping canon and being a game of a completely different genre altogether?
(Its a free roam fps with some rpg elements, a la stalker)

Entharion

Nov 13, 2007
This was an epic review, and I agree, it seems more like a mod to oblivion than a new game by itself. not that that's bad. but the similarities were there.

P.S. I love that starting bit "yeah it's pretty good" strikes genius.