Zero Punctuation: Fallout 3

spazzattack

Mar 25, 2008
Yahtzee didn't really complain about this game. I think Fallout 3 might actually be a secret favorite of his, that he can't reveal because he's reviewing it. It deffinitely isn't his trademark "tear-at-every-flaw-and-loose-end-until-the-game-is-a-bloody-stump".

derpa

Apr 4, 2008
whyarecarrots said:
derpa said:
Easy way was to not dumb the game down....but oh well.
THis may be just asking for trouble, but I'll go ahead anyway.
I've seen it said many a time that Oblivion and Fallout 3 are both highly dumbed down RPGs. May I ask how? I haven't played any older rpgs, but from what I played of Oblivion and ave heard of Fallout 3 they seem like they have a lot of character customisation and choices that can be made throughout the game.
Something I would consider a dumbed down rpg is Dark Messiah: Might and Magic, which had a ludicrously small amount of character development (admittedly it more than made up for it with a fantastic combat system)

Anyone have any explanation of this?
Well I could type a lot, but here is a good one to read for Oblivion, http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=129

You can notice a lot of similarities with Fallout 3 too, but at least fallout 3 is pretty fun out of the box as a FPS, hopefully a CS comes out soon for it though.

If you really still want after reading that, I can write a long post explaining.

acebrainbuster

Oct 13, 2008
now that is stealing, i love when you can just take what you waNT BUT SERIUSELY all that money at 4 . shit that just makes it a little to easy to buy all the shit you need why can't the people make a credible game where even if you steal their stuff that at least a couple people get pissed and at least try to kick your ass

Zeldadudes

Sep 12, 2008
No offense Yahtzee but i feel a bit used in a way...
There was no introduction to what Fallout used to be or what it is now and i didn't really see much of a major conclusion.
Other than that i enjoyed what you were saying about Oblivion... its very true.

ParkourMcGhee

Jan 4, 2008
Fair revew I'd say. Can you really go around stealing every single objec and still have a high karma level? I found playing it on the hardest difficulty I still had way too much stuff without even looting 1 damn thing that's not on a decaparated mutant (my specialty) or hidden in a complexed sewage system resembling the London tube! All in all though I like it, and it's a nice play through - plus 100% better than Farcry 2.

You'll have a field day reviewing that, since all you have to do is say that "it takes too freaking long to get anywhere" and that's more or less it. GTA, but bigger, with enemies respawning constantly and you not being able to go around them so you get the same bloody encounter over and over and over and over. Kind of like really REALLY old 'actionadventure' games such as System Shock 2 where every time you entered a room you had two or three new mutants to jump around the corner at you. Another annoying aspect is that for you to actually know how to point and shoot a weapon properly you need its specific instruction manual which you have to buy with diamonds (which are amazingly also a currency on some anonymous black market website that accepts imaginary-credit-card-diamonds) and the first problem you encounter is actually getting any. First off you have the main quests - if you don't want to play the game really. Side quests (though I haven't seen very much there if at all) and the "oh look I wonder what that blinking light means" which seems to be your primary source of income at least for the first part of the game and this is the mechanic:
Light in your car starts blinking as you are driving along. You stop. You get shot at. You quickload and get on your turret. You shoot back. You look around untill light stops blinking and head in that direction and get it... All very well in theory but gets a bit repetitive, the only mildly interresting aspect to this is that it is in a different location each time (either on a cliff face, in some bushes or the middle of a lake).

Yes. Either review Farcry2 because it's an easy task to find flaws or just don't bother - probably one of the worst games of the year. Well after CoD5 that is. And that's a whole different story.

Feb 13, 2008
Magnetic2 said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Argh...conflicting emotions...

No Adverts +1000 xp
Dingy Intro -10xp (cumulative)
Short, Sharp Joke Start: Gain a level
Having one of those bloody crustaceans in there : Go back to start.
*shivers*
Good review, Good nitpicks, Oblique but not intrusive references : Oh get back to the level you were on before I nuked your xp.
End quip : +10xp.

Overall, gain a level and 1000xp.
Hey root, normally I enjoy your post, but whaaat are you talking about?
I tried to play it as if it was a quest for levels. And I hate bloody lobsters :)

SpaceViking

Nov 19, 2008
Well, that answers one question I've always had. "How does Yahtzee finish all these games or even get very far in them?" He doesn't. Pretty obvious from his comments about Liam Nelson and his lack of comments about the ending.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Zeldadudes said:
There was no introduction to what Fallout used to be or what it is now and i didn't really see much of a major conclusion.
I think he was trying to review the game for what it was; not what it used to be.

Zeldadudes

Sep 12, 2008
Flying-Emu said:
Zeldadudes said:
I think he was trying to review the game for what it was; not what it used to be.
He compared Fable 2 to Fable 1 though... I used to play the original and i was just slightly disappointed when i noticed that Yahtzee didn't even look at its predecessors.

Demir23

Oct 19, 2008
You could've just done the first 20 seconds worth and it would've still been amazing, nice work! XD

Omnimmotus

Nov 19, 2008
Whew. In some of your previous reviews, I thought you'd forgotten that even if you are known for tearing games apart, that doesn't mean they don't deserve a little praise. (Sometimes.) I was deathly afraid your Fallout review might not give the game the credit it deserves, which is a reasonable amount. No worries though, a well done review.

Pretty much agreed on all points. FYI, the game data files still contain references to Conjuration and Destruction magic (Well, all schools of magic) and the moon is called Masser (One of Masser and Secunda, the two TES moons), so yes, on the technical aspect its Oblivion with guns. Not that I mind. Also, I was shockingly disappointed you didn't comment on the sudden, plot-hole ridden ending, although its not really the point of the game. The point is mostly what you do besides the main quest, to be honest. (And that's how it should be in Fallout.)

All in all, a good review. I mean hey, I registered here just to make this comment. Oh, and I must agree on Bethesda hiring only the best for the characters they plan to toss away uselessly. But it was more justified for the Dad in Fallout, he really came across sincere. I actually felt like I cared about the family characters they'd given me in the game, for once.

I don't know how much you looked into it, but to me, Oblivion was made great not by the base game but by the deep modding community. If/when Bethesda releases a Fallout 3 Construction Set, which is looking likely, keep an eye on the modding community.

EDIT: By the way, for anyone wondering, yes I played the first Fallout games, and yes I was a huge fan of them. Fallout 3 is in some ways better and in some ways worse. Still, all things considered, I think Bethesda did a good job, and really captured the Fallout atmosphere. Some of the depth in conversation was lost, but I've never seen the wasteland rendered in such beautiful glory.

Skiz

Apr 30, 2008
Yea, the game was okay, blah.

I'm just happy that The Escapist finally got rid of that fucking Banjo preview bullshit. And the advert at the beginning of the fucking videos.

imbaczek

Nov 19, 2008
Vromnir said:
Its a Fallout game, so look at it from a Fallout point of view.
No point since this game sucks from a Fallout point of view. No, scratch that. This game is not bad. It's wrong.

EDIT: BTW if FO3 is really better than Oblivion in every way, then I have absolutely no reason to try Oblivion.

guyy

Mar 6, 2008
I loved the part where he finds a pile of money under a table, and steals the table instead of the money.

Muphin_Mann

Oct 4, 2007
MolotoK said:
Has Yahtzee ever played the originals?
I guess he didn't, because then he wouldn't compare fallout 3 to Branston Pickle.

I expected much more of a bashing for FO3 by Yahtzee.
It's probably the most disappointing game in the last decade or so and definetly the worst sequel ever made but no reviewer seems to notice....
Possibly because it was a good game.

But i forgive you. Your a fanboy and any departure from what you knew would seem bad to you. Its like the people who thought V For Vendetta was bad because it wasnt exactly like the comic.

The fact that you seem to think playing the origionals would make him review it less favorably reveals your bias. Its an entire freakin new company! its not going to be the same!

And the game can be made harder than Ben found it by not stealing, as i learned firsthand.

One thing that struck me was when i killed a character and put on his (unique and well known) clothing and no one seemed to notice or care. If i walked into Hefners bedroom you heard a "Boom!" and i came out wearing his pajamas wouldnt you wonder?

No point since this game sucks from a Fallout point of view. No, scratch that. This game is not bad. It's wrong.

EDIT: BTW if FO3 is really better than Oblivion in every way, then I have absolutely no reason to try Oblivion.
But, it was better than some of the Fallout games, yeah? If you dont think so, then you either dont know the series or are too deluded by it to judge a games worth. For instance Fallout: BOS which was eventualy voted out of the Canon.

EDIT: Well, Oblivion is in a different genre, so if you like Fantaasy over Post-Apocolypse then yea...Oblivion. Or better yet, Fable 2.