Zero Punctuation: Fallout: New Vegas

Arren Kae

Nov 10, 2010
I registered just to say this was the best review yet. Telling what you did in the game in-character made for a much more immersive narrative. FNV is better than F3 and I really like it but it's also very buggy.

aristos_achaion

Dec 30, 2008
Goodness, Yahtzee was rushing through that game--I thought I got to New Vegas a bit ahead of schedule, and I had about 5000 caps and a couple of weeks of game time under my belt beforehand. Great review, though -- it's great to see a review that isn't just complaining about the bugs.

ED: I'd kind of been hoping that Yahtzee would get jumped by Deathclaws rather than Cazadors on his northerly shortcut...I was really wondering what ZP art he'd break out for a Deathclaw...

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
What's the big deal with immersion, anyway?

But it is true, rifle sights suck.6

I turned off "True Iron Sights" in the options to go back to FO3's zoom effect.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Master10K said:
Leviathan_ said:
I knew you were going to comment on the bugs.
You can't really talk about New Vegas without at least mentioning the bugs. Shame he didn't mention the more humorous bugs & glitches.
Sadly, the funny ones are not the most common ones. I personally never have the fortune of running into bugs that are funny. The bugs I've run into (that I noticed) where:

Hilariously bad performance (resolved by forcing the game to use a different version of d3d9)
Crash to Desktop (mitigated by regularly purging the cell buffer)
Disappearing save files (mitigated by turning of Steam Cloud for the game, resolved by writing a small program that properly renames the latest autosave)
Crash not to Desktop (same as the CTD only slightly more annoying).

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
many people said:
Where was the review?
Does a review really have to be in a big box with a fluorescent label that says "REVIEW" on it for you to realise what it is? The review is right in front of you. Watch the video again and notice how Yahtzee makes little criticisms throughout his story - a story of his experience playing the game. Hmmm... I'm sure there's a word for something like that...

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
aristos_achaion said:
Goodness, Yahtzee was rushing through that game--I thought I got to New Vegas a bit ahead of schedule, and I had about 5000 caps and a couple of weeks of game time under my belt beforehand. Great review, though -- it's great to see a review that isn't just complaining about the bugs.

ED: I'd kind of been hoping that Yahtzee would get jumped by Deathclaws rather than Cazadors on his northerly shortcut...I was really wondering what ZP art he'd break out for a Deathclaw...
On my first play though I was broke by the time I hit vegas because I always felt the need to purchase every Stimpack and doctor bag I could find and constantly bought shiny new things that were only marginally better than my rusty old things. On my second play through I had enormous piles of money because I realized if I was simply not stupid when playing I wouldn't need a billion stimpacks and doctor bags and felt no need to check out shiny new things when I could just find a version of it eventually for free anyhow.

A Pious Cultist

Jul 4, 2009
Roofstone said:
I giggled at the freezing ending to his life. Though I wanna ask one thing: Hardcore, is it immersive.. Or just a pain in the royal arse?
Not being able to use stimpaks to heal limbs does at a challenge to the game that it really generally lacked on my first playthrough. You do seem to get dehydrated really often though. Plus sodas making you thirsty is really stupid (diuretics don't dehydrate you, they just make you piss more, having it temporarily increase the rate of dehydration would make more sense).

Aside from crashes (which elevated much higher when using mods for whatever reason) and the occasional glitched enemy are annoying the bad design decisions are much worse in my opinion... stuff like the very obvious and intrusive invisible walls in places, loosing karma for stealing from enemy factions who you have just murdered to death and stripped naked, having people turn hostile because the game didnt give indication that the phrase they were starting to say was "If you come any closer I'm authorised to shoot!", odd karma losses, and generally the game getting very easy later on (especially when you get a companion, at lower levels they're 4x as powerful as you). Still a very good game though, but there were a few rough edges I really wish they'd smoothed out.

To the poster beneath me: Not really, on my second playthrough I got there and inside in under an hour or two I'd say.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
I share Yahtzee's disappointment, as I was really into his day by day telling of New Vegas only to have it end suddenly after a crash.

I think it would be awesome if he did an entire game play through like this; it'd be like the Unskippable Let's Play only cartoonier.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Well I didn't see that coming for this review, I rather enjoyed this little take on a review and the music made me giggle everytime I saw a new day pop up on screen. Now I have that song stuck in my head and everything. I love the idea of international "Go fuck yourself" laws when it comes to "stealing" things from raiders and bad guys.

LackingSaint

Apr 23, 2008
Xzi said:
Holy god, I hadn't realized what a lazy fuck Yahtzee was until now. He skipped literally like every story element and all the faction stuff in favor of sprinting straight to New Vegas, which can be and generally is the finale of the game.

It's kind of hard to critique generic shooters and other similar shit games made for people with ADD when you can't spend more than ten hours on RPGs with fifty hours of available gameplay. Jesus.

Yea, yea, I know Yahtzee isn't a real reviewer/critic, but this particular installment of ZP wasn't really funny at all, either. I was more interested in what Yahtzee was doing with his character until it became blatantly obvious that he wasn't making any real attempt to immerse himself in the game at all.
Boom. Personally I usually find these 'reviews' pretty funny little mickey-takes of games, but this.. nah.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
Soda (especially cola) contains caffeine, which is a diuretic. As the name suggests it's a drug that increases urination which will affect the intake of water.

creazur

Jun 16, 2010
I've played the game through now once and second time on the run. First time I played with Hard difficulty and now I'm going on Very Hard and both times I've set the Hardcore mode on. It gives me the mandatory element of role-playing that I've always tried to have with my Fallouts. And luckily I'm one of the few that have the game working nice with no freezes and crashes.

IMO if you love Fallout 1 and 2, here's the third for you. Fallout 3 was good game and all, but this one earns the title Fallout 3 in my shelf.

And thanks Yahtzee once again for review that was something very own of you and as humoring as always.

CaptainLudicrous

Mar 19, 2010
Grey_Focks said:
Okay Yahtzee, I may regularly disagree with your reviews and opinions and such, but this video proves it- You need to start making Let's Plays. Seriously, I'd watch them.

Please?
I whole heartedly agree.

DSQ

Jun 30, 2009
Hm...... I don't get it. Am i missing somthing? And by it i mean the review.