Zero Punctuation: Fallout: New Vegas

pluizig

Jan 11, 2010
Clever, making the video appear to freeze up four minutes in. You know, like the game itself!

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
That was the funniest of the more recent videos, and I a lot of people seem to agree. I think it's clear why; Yahtzee's videos, though I am not in any way criticizing them, are not a delicate artform. It's fast paced entertainment that doesn't leave us waiting for the next part at any point and there is nothing wrong with that (especially not when it has actual brains behind it, like ZP does)
Thus, YAHTZEE NEEDS GIMMICKS!

Moar and moar of them. All the time. Because they grab attention quickly and that's all we need ;D No more clever opinions!

York_Beckett

Sep 23, 2010
Great review!
Been thinking of getting the game for quite a while now. Really enjoyed Fallout 3, so I hope it'll be fun.

Kind of sad with all the bugs though. The third one had a share of annoying stuff, mainly freezing up, but I haven't seen too many of them in a while now. Maybe it has been fixed?

Raregolddragon

Oct 26, 2008
I am kinda surprised, your PC did not melt in to a plastic goo.

All the same I am surprised your game only budged out once, I my game crashed 4 time before I got to Novack.

Toasted Nuts

Feb 17, 2010
Disappointing review. Couldnt careless that he disliked the game thats what his reviews are all about. But yahtzee can still make comment on things that are good. And to say that its totally the same as fallout 3 is clearly wrong.

Also didnt find the 3 day adventure style of review very funny either.

Oh well better luck next week.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
teebeeohh said:
the problem with hardcore mode is that the eating/drinking/sleeping mechanics are just a variation of using stims to recover HP. The thing that makes it harder is that ammo has weight (but this only applies to gun-focused builds) and that you can't just rush into a hord of supermutants and stim you way out(because stims take time and there are no hordes of supermutants in the Mojave)
well healing is not that big an issue in hc you just need to stack healing stuff stim pack, some food, some beverage all give +hp recovery for x amt of time. fact that game pauses while you eat drink and stim during a fight is kinda lame tho. but a adult deathclaw will ruin your day in a hurry no matter how much stuff you swallow or shoot up.

hydra is great for limbs but is also addictive as hell, your status monitor you can choose what limbs to use doctors kits and stim packs on which helps.

ammo is the big issues in hc mode, as well as pure water and other stuff, micromanaging your inventory in hc mode is the biggest pita when you got to carry enough drinks, food, heal items to stand up in combat plus enough ammo for your various guns. fact in the vanilla game you cannot bottle pure water is a bit of a huh and duh factor lest on pc we got mods that allow that but that almost makes the game too easy early on but it is sensible, end game when your killing legions left and right they drop purified water at a almost stupid rate.

quest gltches are the worst of the lot some of them are game breaking, lest i lost about 30 hours to quest glitch plus saves going bad.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
Love this review. Really enjoyed how you approached it this time.

btw, soda does dehydrate you in real life too. you know, because of all the sodium and sugars in it.

remmus

Aug 31, 2009
great review, tho Yatzee seam to have left his glasses at home and played New Vegas in a blur and missed all the small details that kinda makes his "copy/paste my opinions on Fallout 3" bit at the start a bit off.

MajoraPersona

Aug 4, 2009
Yeah, the characters that tell you not to go north, along with the various dangerous wildlife out that way, were kinda just put in to be annoying.

But the hostage situation was so you could ask where the guy who stole your McGuffin (and shot you in the head) went. Since they were the hired thugs from the beginning and all.

In addition, things that happen further along in the game during Hardcore mode include recruited people dying and ammo weighing you down.

And I agree, the freezing is annoying.

PS: Soda (and booze) actually do make you thirsty. As for the plus and minus signs, it (like the other Hardcore gauges) are basically re-worked versions of radiation.

Personally, I love the game, despite sometimes wanting to beat it to a bloody pulp. Largely because I took Bloody Mess, and can make people explode in twelve hundred directions at once.

Maybe it's just because of my giant army of powerful robots. Or because I keep playing after a single incident. On an unrelated note, it took me a solid minute to get the Chzo games functional, due to the passage of time. Those games are awesome.

thenightgaunt

Mar 2, 2008
I enjoyed the review, but I get the feeling he missed the point of New Vegas...or maybe that is the point?

Basically, if you liked Fallout 3 or any of the Fallout games, you'll like NV because it was written by people who can actually design and write a plot for a damned RPG unlike those tallentless jackoffs over at Bethesda.

But if you hated Fallout 3 or any of the Fallout games, you'll hate this one. So why the hell would you even give a damn about this game. I hated Halo and surprisingly I didn't like any of the other Halo games either.