Zero Punctuation: Fallout: New Vegas

ProzacMan

Aug 24, 2010
ProzacMan said:
zelda2fanboy said:
Damn, I was totally into that story. I think I'd probably watch a two hour Yahtzee Fallout story. You know, so long as it didn't freeze.
I'm with him! Maybe the Escapist can pay you a little extra to do one day a week of the game as Yahtzee's Fallout New Vegas videos on top of your regular reviews. :D
Actually he could even do it as an after credits extra after the regular video. Might get people to actually stick around and read the credits. ;-)

roo18

Oct 8, 2007
It has got more evened out than Fallout 3. I always found starting on Hard mode was torture but then around level six it got way too easy. Hardcore mode is definately more my style as I always plan ahead than run into combat, but then I went lugging around 150 stimpaks, water, food, doctor's bags and almost 100,000 caps by the end of the game and it kind of took away the challenge.

Maybe I might try a playthrough of a Bethesda Fallout game without bankrupting every trader I find...

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
ilion said:
OhJohnNo said:
Haha, funny review as always Yahtzee.

I suppose this means you found it "alright" like Fallout 3?

Hmm. How many games exactly do you think are more than "alright"? I know you're a cynic, but other than Half-Life and Silent Hill... are you not impressed with anything?

He is impressed with other games, hes smart in keeping high standards because frankly, most games are pretty bad these days. I remember he enjoyed the thief games, spoke well of mass effect, and iam quite certain hes a Deus Ex fan. Among others iam sure. Ill bet he likes Homeworld btw, looking at your avatar.
I doubt he likes Homeworld, to be honest, even if he's heard of it - it's an RTS, and you know his opinions on them.

kittenbot

Aug 5, 2007
Interesting notion: Lots of people say that new Vegas is just a fallout 3 expansion

Interesting notion: Nobody said Gears of War 2 was a Gears of War expansion.

Don't get me wrong, the similarities are there, but there there are a fair few differences in New Vegas when you spend some time with it, more than most sequels have when compared to the original game. I agree that hardcore mode is a bit of a schill though, it's a lot less compelling than I expected (it's very very forgiving).

But back to my initial point: Why do some sequels get called "Just an expansion" while other sequels don't?

Gears did it, CoD did it (Did they change the engine between MW1 and MW2?), Hell, the amount that changed between mass effect 1 and 2 isn't particularly phenomenal, and New vegas has less randomly clicking planets for resources.

Note: The above is partially driven by bias, I really like New Vegas and have seen very few bugs, and no game-breaking bugs, however, I consider it the superior game to Fallout 3 in pretty much every single way.

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
Liked the journal style in this review and how the "bugs" issue was brought up. I'll be sticking into hardcore mode when I've finished my first playthrough.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
This is now my favorite Yahtzee video.

I had the same problem with the H2O thing the first time I tried to deal with my dehydration level.

And I hate those killer flies.

joes

Oct 15, 2010
best review ever, man.

ditto on "international law of go fuck yourselves" crackin me up.

Gothproxy

Mar 20, 2009
I loved it. Especially the line of keeping stuff from guys who attacked you first with the International Law of Go $&%^ Yourself. Classic (and very true, I might add).

Bravo to you for another good review.

Chris 'Chaos' Voce

Oct 3, 2010
The thing that really got me was the starvation thing even though there's food everywhere its hard to find food with the least amount of RAD so you wont just drop dead out of the blue (moon)especially if you just came back from camp searchlight.

Still this game was alright and a great way of putting it in a nutshell Yahtzee proud of you.

Zach McTechStuff

Nov 11, 2010
I hated the graphics freezes as well (They're much worse on the PC) but thankfully a modder kinda fixed that.

Another great review.

pcload1etter

Apr 14, 2009
People talking about crashing? I didn't have a problem the entire game. Did a lot of side quests too. Get a better computer.

darksider216

Mar 16, 2009
very good but i lurve new vegas and i found a very easy way to get inot the vegas strip,
help the kings and then when they owe you a favour ask to get into the strip and they give you a fake passport

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Sorry about the delay in response:

Quorothorn said:
solidstatemind said:
It still amazes me that people give Yahtzee's opinion any sort of weight. He's a comedian not a critic, folks. He may point out things that are worth your time to consider, but if you base your purchasing decision solely upon his 'reviews', you're really doing yourself a disservice. You may bleat now. Thank you.
Isn't that a bit contradictory? If he brings up points worthy of consideration, why does it amaze you that people give his opinion "any sort of weight"?
Okay, you got me: I started out with a generalization. I should've said "it continues to shock me that some people take his opinion as being definitive..." I think the rest of my statement got the point I was trying to make across, however.

samaugsch said:
solidstatemind said:
Actually, he says in his SSBB viewer comment review that he's a critic.
...and once, when a form I filled out asked me what color I was, I put in 'Paisley'. In other words, just because he said it does not necessarily make it so-- and in fact, I would argue that product Yahtzee puts out consistently contradicts that statement. ZP is always at least amusing to me, and is often laugh-out-loud funny-- and that is its strongest trait, not conveying information that would be very useful for making a thoughtful purchasing decision.

Basically, Yahtzee is a critic in that he is 'critical' in the sense of "being marked by a tendency to find and call attention to errors and flaws", not 'critical' in the sense of "characterized by careful evaluation and judgment". Perhaps you may not agree with my assessment, but I think the evidence supports that conclusion.

Regardless, the ultimate point is that I think people who base their purchasing decisions solely upon a ZP episode are foolish. Of course, I think that about anyone who would look to only one source (regardless of who or what it may be) to guide their thoughts and actions, since that basically means they're leaving their critical thinking to someone else rather than gathering as much information as possible and coming to a conclusion themselves.

Not that my comments will change anything. Followers are usually pretty damn stubborn about remaining dependent. I guess I just like tilting windmills.

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
solidstatemind said:
Sorry about the delay in response:

Quorothorn said:
solidstatemind said:
It still amazes me that people give Yahtzee's opinion any sort of weight. He's a comedian not a critic, folks. He may point out things that are worth your time to consider, but if you base your purchasing decision solely upon his 'reviews', you're really doing yourself a disservice. You may bleat now. Thank you.
Isn't that a bit contradictory? If he brings up points worthy of consideration, why does it amaze you that people give his opinion "any sort of weight"?
Okay, you got me: I started out with a generalization. I should've said "it continues to shock me that some people take his opinion as being definitive..." I think the rest of my statement got the point I was trying to make across, however.

samaugsch said:
solidstatemind said:
Actually, he says in his SSBB viewer comment review that he's a critic.
...and once, when a form I filled out asked me what color I was, I put in 'Paisley'. In other words, just because he said it does not necessarily make it so-- and in fact, I would argue that product Yahtzee puts out consistently contradicts that statement. ZP is always at least amusing to me, and is often laugh-out-loud funny-- and that is its strongest trait, not conveying information that would be very useful for making a thoughtful purchasing decision.

Basically, Yahtzee is a critic in that he is 'critical' in the sense of "being marked by a tendency to find and call attention to errors and flaws", not 'critical' in the sense of "characterized by careful evaluation and judgment". Perhaps you may not agree with my assessment, but I think the evidence supports that conclusion.

Regardless, the ultimate point is that I think people who base their purchasing decisions solely upon a ZP episode are foolish. Of course, I think that about anyone who would look to only one source (regardless of who or what it may be) to guide their thoughts and actions, since that basically means they're leaving their critical thinking to someone else rather than gathering as much information as possible and coming to a conclusion themselves.

Not that my comments will change anything. Followers are usually pretty damn stubborn about remaining dependent. I guess I just like tilting windmills.
I don't use Yahtzee as my only source, but I figure that he makes a good one if you interpret his reviews correctly. For instance, if a game is really good, he might say one or two good things about it in the whole review. If it's any worse than that, he'll nitpick it like crazy. At least that's how I look at his reviews. I'm starting to doubt major sources ever since Gamestop's Kane & Lynch 2 review.

sumguitardude

Jan 20, 2010
Fallout 3 was shit and this game is shit, i agree completely with ur review
I mean come on they are using the same fucking graphics engine and it has more bugs inn it then a year old fish.

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
In The Mood!
I will buy this game solely because that music was used in relation to is (I know it's not IN the game)

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
samaugsch said:
I don't use Yahtzee as my only source, but I figure that he makes a good one if you interpret his reviews correctly. For instance, if a game is really good, he might say one or two good things about it in the whole review. If it's any worse than that, he'll nitpick it like crazy. At least that's how I look at his reviews. I'm starting to doubt major sources ever since Gamestop's Kane & Lynch 2 review.
Nah, that's totally reasonable-- it's basically what I do. I was more referring to the seemingly endless stream of people who say something like "thanks Yahtzee; I was thinking about getting this but now I know to avoid it." I mean, seriously? If they are going to mindlessly follow Yahtzee's opinion regardless, why bother even watching? You could easily argue that if Yahtzee reviews something, nine times out of ten (ninety-nine times out of one-hundred, even?), he 'hates' it, or at least comes off like he does.

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
I know that being negative about pretty much everything is his shtick, but I find myself tiring of it. I prefer AVGN so much more because whenhe rants and raves, the games really deserve it (in hindsight at least), where as ZP seems to massively magnify minor quibbles into problems that they're not. Vegas is so buggy, but there was very little said about this gold mine of comic and sarcastic material.