Zero Punctuation: Final Fantasy XIII

EmmerikXXII

Nov 11, 2009
Machines said:
Never played a FF game in my life, but that was as predictable as they come. Even before seeing the same point re-iterated for the fifth time with different wording.

The Kangaroo said:
If Jim Sterling got flak for only playing up until the last boss fight, I wonder how much flak Yahtzee will get
It's Yahtzee, people will tell him he's a unique genius and boycott the game.
This (except that I have played every FF). As much as I like Yahtzee, I'd like to see people start thinking for themselves instead of hanging on his every word.

ITT: Yahtzee fans.

Not ITT: Final Fantasy Fans.

johnzaku

Jun 16, 2009
That block of probationists is really funny every week ;p

Anyway, hilraious even though I may not agree with all of your points. ^_^

kronoset

Jan 1, 2009
I dunno, I played FF10 and the PS2 Real-time one and my biggest problem was with the fact that a bit over %50 of the story seemed to be the equivalent of anime filler--it didn't help to define that characters, nor did it advance the plot.

StarofAzura

Lady Nerevarine
Mar 22, 2010
Wow, he gave it more time than I would have. I mean, seriously, when you hit the thirteenth game in a series, it's time to stop. Especially THIS series.

As an aside, congrats to Yahtzee for opening The Mana Bar! :D

BrionJames

Jul 8, 2009
Let's face it since the merger between Square and Enix, Final Fantasy games have really started to suck...bad. Last Final Fantasy I enjoyed? FF 9

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
That was less assinine that I was expecting it to be actually...

The game DOES get good at about the 15-20 hour mark and most of the previous suckage with the characters is in the service of "character development" and once they "develop" they become very, very likable. But Mr. Croshaw was right about one thing, this is NOT good storytelling, especially not for a videogame.

Also...

I KNEW IT! Nobody dislikes FF6!

JSW

Oct 7, 2009
This is one of the reasons why I liked Dragon Quest 8 so much. You start the game, fight a short training battle, and then you're instantly told what your quest is going to be for the rest of the game. None of the wandering around waiting for the plot to start that seems to occupy the first halves of pretty much every other RPG; you just turn on the power and it's "Oh hai the king has been transformed into a monster and the princess into a horse, let's try to change them back kthxbai."

Of course, you do find out that things are a bit more complex than that later on, but your initial goal is never really invalidated. There's no point in the game where you have to stop and ask "Okay, why didn't the game just start here and skip all the tedious setup at the beginning," which is pretty refreshing.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
KeyMaster45 said:
really? You reviewed FF13 before god of war 3? Though I must thank you for reminding me why I quit playing the FF series after 10.
That's probably because FF13 came out before GoW 3.

OT: Not too surprised with this one. While playing it I thought "This is a JRPG-hater's (aka Yahtzee's) nightmare of a game." Not having the option to play with Japanese dialog does not help as all the characters look very cheesy having Japanese style emoting with English voices, and the voicework so far is rather standard, or maybe this is the result of playing ME2 to death beforehand and being used to Bioware's exceptional voicework. In any case a good review.

Jamesigh

Jan 29, 2010
EmmerikXXII said:
Machines said:
Never played a FF game in my life, but that was as predictable as they come. Even before seeing the same point re-iterated for the fifth time with different wording.

The Kangaroo said:
If Jim Sterling got flak for only playing up until the last boss fight, I wonder how much flak Yahtzee will get
It's Yahtzee, people will tell him he's a unique genius and boycott the game.
This. As much as I like Yahtzee, I'd like to see people start thinking for themselves instead of hanging on his every word.

ITT: Yahtzee fans.

Not ITT: Final Fantasy Fans.
i'm a FF fan, and i was actually excited about this review. but meh.

Furrama

Jul 24, 2008
Well, it DOES get better as you go. But yeah, it should have been better from the beginning. Too bad you didn't find the strength to play further in, (lol).

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
Everything said here is true. (I have so far played about 8 hours of FFXIII. I have yet to understand what the fuck is going on as well.)

- The whole combat system business is SHIT. Why can't I walk up to people and hit them by pushing a button? Why must I remote-control my stupid-ass character to do stuff?
- All characters suck, except Lightning (because she hits people when they start talking too much bullshit) and maybe Sazh because he doesn't whine so much. But EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER is a complete fucking whiner. Especially Hope. I "Hope" this annoying bastard falls off a cliff and dies at some point in the game. At that point, I will throw a freaking party. (Okay, there was a point where Lightning left Hope on a rock in the middle of nowhere - unfortuantely the others came to the rescue... BAH!)
- Endless fucking corridors. Why am I even playing these? I just walk from point A to B and bonk some random enemies over the head, and there is ALWAYS a cock-block boss at the end of every
chapter which is ten times harder than what I've faced previously.
- Vanille's VOICE! Vanille TALKING AT ALL! AAAAHHHHH!!
- The cutscenes when the characters talk. WHY MUST THEY TALK! All they do is spout clichés like "Heroes don't run from fights!" and "We can't give up now!" The most useless ones are the ones where they just stop to say "Oh man, I need to rest *heavy sigh, sits down*" and then tell eachother how tired/old/young kids they are.

Sometimes I think FFXIII would've made a better movie. If nobody ever talked, because the writers sure as hell don't know what they're doing.

And why do I keep playing? Because I'm a sincerely hoping for that part when the game actually picks up and I know what the fuck is going on (and when I get out of the stupid damned Corridors of Endless Doom...

StarofAzura

Lady Nerevarine
Mar 22, 2010
nicodeemus327 said:
pretentiousname01 said:
Jamesigh said:
disappointing. i was looking forward to this review, but only playing five hours of the game makes it completely pointless.
Unless nothing changes like several people who have commented said.
And other people said it does change for the better later on. I was hoping to get something out of this review but at only 5 hours what's the point?
Something Yahtzee has always said is "it gets better later" isn't a decent excuse. I tend to agree with him, and really, how many of us are going to play a game that we hate for five hours?

dubious_wolf

Obfuscated Information
Jun 4, 2009
There is the Yahtzee I know and enjoy. loved this episode so much. the last few were good but this was awesome. good show.

adam5396

Feb 12, 2010
Nice review, time cards broke the flow a bit but it was good.

I've never really liked any final fantasy's after 10, if you could only ge through 5 hours on 13 I don't think I'd make it to the first boss battle.

VMerken

Sep 12, 2007
I approve this review.

Thank you for saying this out loud. I bought FFXIII on launch day, played it for about 8 hours, then put it aside because quite frankly, all of my JRPG senses exploded and need a couple of weeks/months of repairs before they can function again.

What is the point of sticking a 20 hours linear dungeon corridor hand-holding beat'em up in front of what is supposed to be a RPG? And to introduce us to an "Easy Automatic" battle system and a set of awful, papier mache characters? Drive-by dialogue what? This is supposed to wow us and make us play on? Or is it some kind of "filter" to weed out the amateur masochists from the pros?

Still. Paid good money for this game. So *sigh* I will probably digest it completely over time. But, the intial part certainly has to be swallowed in small doses. Especially when things such Vanilla and Hope are hopping down the dungeon corridors...

Harmondale2

Nov 18, 2009
Congrats on the Mana bar!

I liked how he bashed up the ditzy ***** in the end credits, don't blame him shes as annoying as hell