Zero Punctuation: Guitar Hero III

DarthCat

Dec 14, 2007
I'd credit my ability to play GH
(ability demonstrated here: http://www.guitarhero.com/accounts/339806)
TO the fact that I play a number of instruments (so I play bass, not lead guitar... that doesn't make me gay - right? ...Right?) and that I've always been more musically inclined than most.

That entirely useless argument aside (I'd really just like to find more players at my skill level to compete against - more on that in a sec), I have to say my main gripe (yes, I definitely had the "way too hard" one at first, despite the fact that I'm apparently better at GH3 than GH2) is the fact that when you compile the difficulty along with the large number of "singles" tracks - that is, the very large number of songs from the last 24 someodd months(they feel like ads for the bands) and the other lingering issues, I really don't feel there enough content here to justify a purchase UNLESS you have friend(s) of comparable skill level (I don't) or you play online a fair deal (I do, though enjoyment varies by game mode - modes which don't force the opponent to play on the same difficulty level are heavily handicapped against the higher difficulty player, and are often exploited by gamerscore whores.)
Also, the achievements kinda suck a fair deal. Did I mention that? 'Cause they do. I'm never gonna 1000 the game (well, I can't get 750,000 pts, anyways) because I have no desire of playing the game on Easy... gah.

Review was funny as always, regardless.

Also, I really didn't care for "Guitar Queer-o", as much as I like some episodes of South Park (See: most of the "Imaginationland" trilogy).

JoeCooL

Dec 14, 2007
Brodel2 said:
@am i the only person on the planet that think GH sucks?
No ... u're not...it's the most idiotic game ever... and "Who's Tom Morello ?" ...are u fuckin hamsters?!?!? http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/5937559/the_100_greatest_guitarists_of_all_time (check no.26)
Yahtzee U "twat" ,do u see Slash anywhere on that list?!? but I guess the boys and girls at the Rolling Stone are a bunch of gays

Wistfane

Dec 12, 2007
JoeCooL said:
Brodel2 said:
@am i the only person on the planet that think GH sucks?
No ... u're not...it's the most idiotic game ever... and "Who's Tom Morello ?" ...are u fuckin hamsters?!?!? http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/5937559/the_100_greatest_guitarists_of_all_time (check no.26)
Yahtzee U "twat" ,do u see Slash anywhere on that list?!? but I guess the boys and girls at the Rolling Stone are a bunch of gays

Joe you forgot one important thing... rolling stone is not the ultimate truth about myuzik..(well if you think it is then your loyalty is gravely misplaced) and in fact has very little to do with actual musicianship.It rather concerns itself with the showbiz aspect...... so if you are looking for a good call on whos the best guitarist then pick an axe learn some licks, break some fingers spill some blood and make up your own bloody mind about whos who rather than listen to a bunch of corporate swines..

Morghus

Aug 14, 2007
Who the hell is Tom Morelles (balls?), and what's it doing next to Slash? I'm pretty sure most people would rather believe Celine Dion was a guitarist worthy of the front cover of GHIII than some poor sod from nowhere.

Amazing review - I laughed 'til my tummy hurt, repeatedly.

Evilducks

Sep 20, 2007
JoeCooL said:
Being good (or exceptional in this case) at guitar does not make you a "Legend of Rock." Most people don't know who Morello is, anybody who even vaguely remembers the 80's knows Gun's n Roses and the top hat wearing guitarist... that would be Legendary.

Lampdevil

Dec 12, 2007
All gayness and difficulty issues aside, I'm just glad to find out that I'm not the only person that has played Guitar Hero until my arms and hands cramped up. Hell, I've KEPT playing it, through the cramps and agony, because I was having so goddamned much fun. It's a bit sad that the peas-taped-to-your-arms struck me not as sad, but as a BRILLIANT idea.

Well okay, maybe just a bit sad.

Corbineau

Nov 20, 2007
Jeigan said:
Corbineau said:
Jeigan said:
Sorry, Corbineau I don't really have the time to read through five pages of messages. And that wasn't meant to rude, it's just the truth. It's quite nice to know, though :D
It's all good. :D We should start a band.
Heh, what would we call ourselves? Shadows of a Gentleman Thief?
That could work ;)

twilight_dweller

Sep 22, 2007
I was fairly dissapointed with the music listing of GHIII. Where's Santana? Where's Hendrix? The lack of those two is a sin. One that can't be atoned for by anything less than ritual suicide.

soliduck

Dec 13, 2007
twilight_dweller said:
I was fairly dissapointed with the music listing of GHIII. Where's Santana? Where's Hendrix? The lack of those two is a sin. One that can't be atoned for by anything less than ritual suicide.
Well, the Santana is right here: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3158625460993936780

D:

Jeigan

Dec 13, 2007
Corbineau said:
Jeigan said:
Corbineau said:
Jeigan said:
Sorry, Corbineau I don't really have the time to read through five pages of messages. And that wasn't meant to rude, it's just the truth. It's quite nice to know, though :D
It's all good. :D We should start a band.
Heh, what would we call ourselves? Shadows of a Gentleman Thief?
That could work ;)
Actually, I was hoping you world say something that didn't suck, but sure, let's go with that. Afraid I don't have Rock band though :p

lordshitzu

Jun 21, 2007
Evilducks said:
You can stop begging for Blue Oyster Cult or other groups from that decade, unless you like covers (GH has had a BOC song or two already). Master tracks recorded in ways useful for the purpose of these games don't exist so they will all have to be re-recorded. The reason Rock Band only has contemporary songs is because they wanted all master tracks. GH still incorporates older music, but again they're covers, and people whine incessantly about it.
Interesting theory, given that Rock Band has a master track of Don't Fear the Reaper.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
Maybe Morello would have to wear a hat and be showy like Slash, and people would know him.
It does not undermine his talent, and the Rage would have been much less interesting without him.

I'd laugh my ass off if Santana made its way into GH III though. If anything, the GH controller is probably enough for him and his "music".

Wait. He's in? Yes? Oh crap.

Jack Spencer Jr

Dec 15, 2007
The appeal of Guitar Hero escapes me. It is the Simon/God of War button mashing but with music this time instead of killing people or things of that nature. I recall thinking that the first time I saw guitar Hero in action when visiting family. I understood how it worked and why it would appeal to people, but was also gripped by a severe lack of desire to even bother trying it once, much less spend my time mastering the danged thing. It's strange, because when I was twelve, I would have been all over Guitar Hero. It is the sort of fiddly reflex game at which I tended to excel. now that I'm older, I would rather take an iron hook, shove it up my nose, fish out my brain and train it to do tricks like a dog, including fetching my slippers and paper.

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
GH3 had several problems, and this ZP addresses them well. I'm just going to agree and add on so...

1) Difficulty level. The Hammer-on Pull-offs were easier (the first time I was able to get them) but shit just felt difficult to be difficult, instead of challenging. I never-ever-play GH on a level beyond Medium, because I have a life with a whole host of other responsibilities I need to ignore; actually practicing to get better at this game is not worth it. However, I start on Medium, and just go; usually, with a little work I've been able to manage the other games. Not so, here.
1a) In addition, when there are 'boss' battles (which suck hippo balls) that come down to luck (which ALSO sucks hippo balls) then fuck that noise. If the idea is to pretend you're in a band, then you should have experiences that feel like band ones, not Highlander with guitars.

2) Songs that can only be unlocked in Co-op.
Some of us don't have friends who want/can help us do this, bastards. I was really surprised no mention of this was in the review, since Yahtzee has repeatedly stated how he doesn't care about multiplayer in games. Basically; there are 6 (or so) songs I can't touch without cheats. That's bullshit, since I paid my $ for the game.

3) Graphics. The graphics (at least for the PS2 version I had) were actually worse than previous incarnations.
How the hell do you manage that?

4) Tom Morello is considered one of the great guitarists by other people who play guitar. He really is impressive, if you listen to a lot of rock music. That said; I totally understand where the review is coming from. And, anyone who thinks Slash can't play guitar is out of their friggin minds. You may not like it, but that doesn't mean he's not brilliant at it. (Also true of Morello)

So yeah. This was the first time I would advise someone to NOT get a GH game. I was just really disappointed.