Zero Punctuation: Halo 3

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Easykill said:
I dont own Bioshock. I played the demo and I played for like 15 minutes at a friend's house but it didnt really strike me as gods gift to gaming either. The story was cool but the fighting was kinda repetitive, it seems its impossible to die, and if Yahtzee's review of it is accurate then it isn't really original either because it rips System Shock off. It had faults, and in my opinion it was over-hyped. Halo 3 has some faults but its still a great game, just like Bioshock. So don't say Bioshock is a better game, just that you like it better.
I dunno Halo is more fun than BS but to short for the price and lacks depth compared to BS,BS however lacks depth of its "class" so I am much more disspointed with BS being a wankered down FPS RPG than I am of Halo missing 2-6 hours of gamepaly on the SP side.

One could say they both are so "bad" neither is "better" just "different" 0-o

Plays2

Oct 8, 2007
november17th said:
I'm one of the few americans who hasn't bought this poor excuse for a game.

Thank you for the laugh.
I didn't buy it because it wasn't the great thing for me, everyone has opinions and is free to express it, I spoke mine :)

Mursam

Oct 9, 2007
symphonycometh said:
Mursam said:
I find that there are Halo fans, people who find it okay and people who have no idea what the big deal is about. I hink that to truly like Halo 3, you need to be in the first category an that really only comes with having played the first two games.
Halo 1's story was actually good and interesting, while Halo 2 and 3s were okay- however the Halo 3 storyline is not uncomprehensible if you had played the 1st two games as Yahtzee hadn't. Furthermore Halo 3, while probably not perfect, is certainly a lot more than run of the mill for the simple reason that sometimes i have noticed 1 000 000 people playing it at one time.
Halo 3 was overhyped but it's still a great game
I respect the opinions of those who don't like Halo 3, but i fail to respect it when they pass judgement on a storyline that required the previous two installments to understand (take the 3rd LOTR movie, who here thought they could've understood it if they hadn't seen the previous two movies?), and they completly dismiss the opinions of up to a million people who play it.
This works until a game with a better story/multi-player gets a lower score...because it's not Halo.

Sorry, but Shadows of the Colossus deserved at least a 9.6 . It was being 100% original, GREAT music, touching storyline (Without much talking.), and the gameplay was literally epic....
You're probably right, but that doesn't make Halo 3 any worse of a game.
In any case they're too completly separate games, you can't copare them.
symphonycometh said:
And here comes the 8.5 solely because it wasn't Halo hyped. Sorry. Unsold.
It probably deserved more yes but that doesn't denigrate Halo
symphonycometh said:
Reviewers got scared of backlash, obviously, and only Yahtzee has guts, apparently.
So of all the reviewers in the world that gave Halo 3 an average of 94.2, only Yahtzee was right about the game. Ultimately it comes down to opinion and whether you are a Halo fan, Yahtzee was not and i respect that, but don't completly dismiss the reviews of all those other reviewers- plenty who are arguably more qualified than Yahtzee just because they *might* have beenn affected by Halo hype
symphonycometh said:
@Yahtzee:

Screw the narrow minded that attack you. I laughed when you were doing the Heavenly Sword demo (Which I have the actual game) with no offense, I don't see why the overhype has to blind so many people.
Maybe because it's a good game?

Antikristuseke

Oct 10, 2007
Mursam said:
So of all the reviewers in the world that gave Halo 3 an average of 94.2, only Yahtzee was right about the game. Ultimately it comes down to opinion and whether you are a Halo fan, Yahtzee was not and i respect that, but don't completly dismiss the reviews of all those other reviewers- plenty who are arguably more qualified than Yahtzee just because they *might* have beenn affected by Halo hype
Giving a game 10/10 because a reviewer is a fanboy or afraid of backlash is a really poor excuse. Ofcourse reviews are subjective but a 10/10 signifies the best game available at the moment in all aspects regarding the genre and Halo 3 simply isnt that.

Mursam

Oct 9, 2007
Antikristuseke said:
Mursam said:
Giving a game 10/10 because a reviewer is a fanboy or afraid of backlash is a really poor excuse. Ofcourse reviews are subjective but a 10/10 signifies the best game available at the moment in all aspects regarding the genre and Halo 3 simply isnt that.
Of course but Halo at the same time is more than run of the mill. The fact that Halo 3 has received an average of 93-94 shows that most people consider it a great game but not an excellent one. You can't completly ignore an entire community and average of reviews simply because of the possibility that teh reviewers might be biased. Some might but not all- reflected by the less than 100% average.

Antikristuseke

Oct 10, 2007
If you only look at the 360 then Halo 3 isnt run of the mill. If you look at all platforms it is nothing more than average at best.

Jstar300

Oct 10, 2007
Umm... I liked the Halo 3 campaign, but it was most enjoyable with a friend to play it with. Like on the second level of the game, we ended up killing all the human troops for fun. We jumped around levels yelling out "Inuyasha" and many more things. I guess I'm trying to say that Halo is most enjoyable all around with people to play with.

AI is still a bit on the stupid side still. I saw a soldier throw a frag grenade inside of the bubble shield and blow himself along with my friend to kingdom come. That was some funny stuff.

Mursam

Oct 9, 2007
Antikristuseke said:
If you only look at the 360 then Halo 3 isnt run of the mill. If you look at all platforms it is nothing more than average at best.
If you look at single player exclusively without any of it's multiplayer, co-op, map editor, film editor and replay value. It's multiplayer is arguably one of the best in any game on any console- shown by the simple fact that over 1 000 000 people have been known to play it in a single hour- you can't blame that sort of popularity on hype.

Antikristuseke

Oct 10, 2007
The multiplayer is nothing special and the map editor is simplistic at best. Now Co-op is a great feature and i have no idea why there hasnt been coop for a pc shooter after System Shock 2, at least that im aware of. The film editor can allso be a great thing to mess arround with, agreed. But where is the replay value?
While the multiplayer may be the best consoles have to offer its not the best multiplayer shooter experience whne compared to stuff on offer for the PC. Being popular like that only shows that Halo is after the lowest common denominator and doing well at that.

Mursam

Oct 9, 2007
Antikristuseke said:
The multiplayer is nothing special
Yeah if you ignore the millions of people who play it.
It doens't have any grand original features but it is extremly well polished and fun to play. Gametypes, weapons, gameplay style, equipment, maps and many others make the multiplayer a blast to play- and isn't that what we're after: fun?
Antikristuseke said:
and the map editor is simplistic at best.
True but when has simple become bad. The simplicity of it means that anyone can pick it up and use it and have fun, and the more experienced can creat awesome new gametypes such as rocket race, pirates, pirate sharks, rocket baseball and that was all in the 1st week!
Antikristuseke said:
Now Co-op is a great feature and i have no idea why there hasnt been coop for a pc shooter after System Shock 2, at least that im aware of. The film editor can allso be a great thing to mess arround with, agreed. But where is the replay value?
There isn't any if you ignore everything you just said.
Antikristuseke said:
While the multiplayer may be the best consoles have to offer its not the best multiplayer shooter experience whne compared to stuff on offer for the PC.
Examples? In any case, what is *best* is arguable and a matter of opinion.
Antikristuseke said:
Being popular like that only shows that Halo is after the lowest common denominator and doing well at that.
And the fact that it appeals to so many people shows us that those people like it well enough to play it over other games.

symphonycometh

Oct 7, 2007
Mursam said:
symphonycometh said:
Mursam said:
I find that there are Halo fans, people who find it okay and people who have no idea what the big deal is about. I hink that to truly like Halo 3, you need to be in the first category an that really only comes with having played the first two games.
Halo 1's story was actually good and interesting, while Halo 2 and 3s were okay- however the Halo 3 storyline is not uncomprehensible if you had played the 1st two games as Yahtzee hadn't. Furthermore Halo 3, while probably not perfect, is certainly a lot more than run of the mill for the simple reason that sometimes i have noticed 1 000 000 people playing it at one time.
I respect the opinions of those who don't like Halo 3, but i fail to respect it when they pass judgement on a storyline that required the previous two installments to understand (take the 3rd LOTR movie, who here thought they could've understood it if they hadn't seen the previous two movies?), and they completly dismiss the opinions of up to a million people who play it.
This works until a game with a better story/multi-player gets a lower score...because it's not Halo.

Sorry, but Shadows of the Colossus deserved at least a 9.6 . It was being 100% original, GREAT music, touching storyline (Without much talking.), and the gameplay was literally epic....
symphonycometh said:
symphonycometh said:
Reviewers got scared of backlash, obviously, and only Yahtzee has guts, apparently.
symphonycometh said:
@Yahtzee:

Screw the narrow minded that attack you. I laughed when you were doing the Heavenly Sword demo (Which I have the actual game) with no offense, I don't see why the overhype has to blind so many people.
Reviewers should not start off with someone liking the previous games for THAT game. In fact, several OTHER games that reviews like got crappy sequel scores for not doing anything new or some other annoying has bit. Funny that Halo 3 is an exception. Must I list the games?

Mursam

Oct 9, 2007
symphonycometh said:
Mursam said:
symphonycometh said:
Mursam said:

symphonycometh said:
symphonycometh said:
symphonycometh said:
@Yahtzee:

Reviewers should not start off with someone liking the previous games for THAT game.
Of course not, but at the same time they shouldn't mark a game down for a bad story when they hadn't played the previous games.
symphonycometh said:
In fact, several OTHER games that reviews like got crappy sequel scores for not doing anything new or some other annoying has bit. Funny that Halo 3 is an exception.
Maybe because it adds new weapons, ehicles, gametypes, maps, forge, saved replays and a whole host of other new things?

notachick

Oct 10, 2007
Dear Yahtzee,

I love you. Don't get too excited, I am a dude. It is a man-crush.

Yours in gratitude,
Me.

SaraPh

Sep 6, 2007
I'm not sure why this argument is continuing.

Halo 3 fans: Haloez is teh bestzors there evarz was.
Pc fps fans: Umm no. It's not even new.
Halo 3 fans: Yes Huh.
Pc fps fans: Nu uh.

I think you get the picture. Now can we stop this mentally disturbed cycle of imbecility and just enjoy an entertaining pseudo review?

Antikristuseke

Oct 10, 2007
Mursam said:
Yeah if you ignore the millions of people who play it.
It doens't have any grand original features but it is extremly well polished and fun to play. Gametypes, weapons, gameplay style, equipment, maps and many others make the multiplayer a blast to play- and isn't that what we're after: fun?
Being popular doesnt mean its the best experience out there for me.True but when has simple become bad. The simplicity of it means that anyone can pick it up and use it and have fun, and the more experienced can creat awesome new gametypes such as rocket race, pirates, pirate sharks, rocket baseball and that was all in the 1st week![/quote]I didnt say it was bad, but it isnt anything to drool over either, sure fun can be had but its simplicity limits its potential greatly
There isn't any if you ignore everything you just said.
Playing the not so great campaing over and over again with different people doesnt add replay value in my eyes. As for the video editor, not my bag of chips tbh.
Examples? In any case, what is *best* is arguable and a matter of opinion.
Exactly, it is all very subjective, as for examples i enjoyed Battlefield 2 a hell of a lot more.
And the fact that it appeals to so many people shows us that those people like it well enough to play it over other games.
As I said, Halo goes for the lowest common denominator and does well at that.
Merlynn said:
All the Serious Sam games have coop mode. And it's a lot of fun to play. :)
Had no idea that Serious Sam games had coop, thanks for enlightening me.

symphonycometh

Oct 7, 2007
Mursam said:
Maybe because it adds new weapons, ehicles, gametypes, maps, forge, saved replays and a whole host of other new things?
Yeah, and DBZ games added more characters, attacks, game types, music and other crappy things that just covered the old with new frosting.

And DBZ deserves their scores! (Okay at best) Halo 3 doesn't. (One of the best shooters ever?)

And NO. I'm not a PC guy SaraPh. I just like to view games the way they should be viewed:

Not blind.

Alex Karls

Aug 27, 2007
symphonycometh said:
Mursam said:
Yeah, and DBZ games added more characters, attacks, game types, music and other crappy things that just covered the old with new frosting.

And DBZ deserves their scores! (Okay at best) Halo 3 doesn't. (One of the best shooters ever?)

And NO. I'm not a PC guy SaraPh. I just like to view games the way they should be viewed:

Not blind.
I don't buy it. You're making a sweeping generalization using the evidence that you are 'not blind' as your argument. Yeah, that doesn't win a case in my book. In fact, I'd say that makes your statement somewhat ironic.