If you ask me an interesting review.
I for one am hoping he does something on one this game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnf2kUmN-TY

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
YoungZer0 said:
arc1991 said:
I would like you to name one game where...

The A.I does not get in your way, They are not completely pants on head retarded and do not run blindly into fire and die.

EVERY game has them, if you complain about Halo, you complain about 99.9% of all shooters as well. (Star Wars Republic Commando is the only game i have seen where the Intelligence in "Artificial Intelligence" actually means something).

As stated, this is a Halo game for Halo Fans, who are used to how the how the game works. the A.I is meant to be pathetic because hell, we all would be if we encountered 8 foot aliens with plasma based weaponry. Think of the A.I as the meat shield, if you are hurt, hide for a bit while they take the fire.
Army of Two: 40th Day. And please, spare your bullshit arguments. "The game needs to have shitty A.I. simply because the previous title had them."

You're exactly the kind of Halo Fan Yahtzee was talking about.
I did not say it needed shitty A.I just because the old ones had them, I'm saying it was created for Halo Fans. which has been said 10.000 times. and every Halo fan knows the A.I is shitty, but 99.9%(Notice how it isn't 100?) of games have Shitty A.I, using that as an excuse to say Halo is bad is just stupid. because you'll be criticizing most shooters.

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
Sid Meier said:
This review was pretty fair and charitable, probably more then MovieBob would give anyways.
Are you saying movieBob's reviews are too harsh compared to Yatzee's? Not that I've counted, but I would say MB calls about a third of the games "pretty damn good" a third "godawful" while a third are pretty alright but could have been better. I'd say Yatzee on the other hand mash 60 percent of the games, admits they are kinda fun on 35 percent and loves 5 percent.

Or did you just mean that MovieBob has stated that he isn't that big of a Halo fan? In which case I would remind you that when he reviewed the Halo movie he actually thought it was fair enough.

mastermerrick

Bored. That is all.
Jul 7, 2010
I'm glad someone other else noticed that Bungie made other games besides HALO (yes I'm referring to ONI, I happened to like that game when it came out.)

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Vanguard_Ex said:
Eh, I feel like these are some pretty pedantic faults even considering it is Yahtzee but whatever, I still enjoy it.
Not to mention a whole bunch of things that are just wrong.

It isn't supposed to be the beginning of the war with the Covenant it's supposed to be around 20 years into it, hence why they know how to use the weapons etc.

It is also not going to be the last Halo game, just the last one made by Bungie. Does anyone honestly believe Microsoft will leave it there?

I also don't get the veiled criticism of the game being milked considering we have:

Half Life
Half Life: Opposing Force
Half Life: Blue Shift
Half Life 2
Half Life 2: Episode 1
Half Life 2: Episode 2
Half Life: Deathmatch
Half Life Merchandise

(Example being a series he likes, there are much "worse" culprits)

I always get irritated by his videos of games I like because he always seems to choose the most petty complaints and exaggerate them for laughs as opposed to picking out the actual flaws and doing the same thing.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Yeah I didn't realize Oni was made by Bungie, i really liked that game... still have it for PC actually.

jbchillin

Sep 16, 2010
thankgod. someone who doesnt think that halo reach is the second coming of the bible. HALO REACH IS A MEDIOCRE GAME AT BEST!

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
When he said "this might sound weird" at the beginning, I already thought he would say that he really liked it. But it was a good review. He wasn't unfair and gave it a good chance. As expected he wasn't blown away by the game but he also didn't dislike it.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
arc1991 said:
I'm saying it was created for Halo Fans. which has been said 10.000 times.
So... it's been said ten times? The .000 there is a bit redundant...

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
jbchillin said:
thankgod. someone who doesnt think that halo reach is the second coming of the bible. HALO REACH IS A MEDIOCRE GAME AT BEST!
AND THAT IS AN ABSOLUTE FACT MAN! NOT AN OPINION OR ANYTHING! ALSO CAPSLOCK FOR EMPHASIS!

...Yeah. You get my point?

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Yosharian said:
Legion said:
Half Life
Half Life: Opposing Force
Half Life: Blue Shift
Half Life 2
Half Life 2: Episode 1
Half Life 2: Episode 2
Half Life: Deathmatch
Half Life Merchandise
Deathmatch? Seriously? The HL1 xp packs were shite though, I'll give you that.
Just saying there are a more Half Life games than Halo ones. I just find it bizarre that Halo is one of the only series that I have come across that has been accused of "milking" the franchise when it has only just reached the 6 game mark.

Like I said, there are much better examples (Mario, Sonic, Metal Gear Solid) but I chose to go for one that he has suggested he likes a lot.

OhJohnNo said:
jbchillin said:
AND THAT IS AN ABSOLUTE FACT MAN! NOT AN OPINION OR ANYTHING! ALSO CAPSLOCK FOR EMPHASIS!

...Yeah. You get my point?
Sometimes I would like to shoot Yahtzee for giving the people of this site the words "generic" and "mediocre" to their dictionaries, especially considering "mediocre" is meaningless in the discussion of how good a game is, and "generic" can very rarely be applied to anything other than clothing and food.

Sepiida

Jan 25, 2010
Though I've never been a big fan of the Halo series I've been planning to give this a rent for awhile now. It certainly seems to make enough changes to the formula (like having protagonists with personalities) that I'd probably enjoy it at the time.

Unfortunately it sounds like (and Yahtzee is by no means the only reviewer to point this out) this is yet another Halo game where they built the multiplayer and went "Fuck, now we need to give them something to do when there not teabagging." This is probably just bias on my part as I'm one of those gamers that agree completely that a game must stand on its single player but it really amazes me how little there is to the single player experience in the Halo games. IT makes me think of Goldeneye.

Still, I'll rent it and most likely enjoy it. And now I'm looking forward to the ending.

EightGaugeHippo

Apr 6, 2010
TetsuoKaneda said:
EightGaugeHippo said:
YoungZer0 said:
EightGaugeHippo said:
YoungZer0 said:
EightGaugeHippo said:
YoungZer0 said:
EightGaugeHippo said:
I just noticed he didnt say anything was terible. A few flaws, But nothing major.
That's because Bungie never really changed anything in the whole run of the series. You can't complain about things that have been shit in the first one, since they have became part of the franchise.
Yeah, but Bungie has changed things. Halo 1 is very different to Halo Reach. Oh wait sorry, they still have sheilds and space marines and a few of the same weapons, thats the formula for shitness apparently.
I played Halo 1 a few days before i gave Reach a try. The Art-Direction is a lot darker.

That's it.
A few days before you played reach? Let me ask you some thing. was that your first time or did you ever play Halo 1 when it was new?
I played it the first time it was released. Played Halo 2 the first time it was released. Didn't care for 3, Wars or ODST. Reach looked different, except it wasn't.
So you are saying that Halo has just been more of the same since day 1? Well good sir, tell me a single franchise that has not been more of the same? Because as far as im aware thats pretty much what a franchise is. A continuation of something popular. If Halo 2 was not similar to Halo 1 the franchise would have died, because Halo 1 was such a huge hit it would be stupid not to milk its success. If you want something different to Halo 1, play another game. I didnt go to watch Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back expecting something completely different to A new Hope.
To use your example, Empire Strikes Back. It took the franchise in a whole new, darker direction, as well as adding telekinesis to the ever-growing list of things the Force can do. Look at what happens throughout: The Alliance fights losing battle after losing battle, Luke still doesn't have enough of a grip on his powers to fight Darth Vader and it costs him his hand and lightsaber in the process, Han winds up being bashed around, betrayed, and then sealed in a block of carbonite (which probably, given the physical properties of carbon, smelled like being buried in charcoal briquettes), the other characters are either enslaved or dismantled, and the Empire pretty much wins a clear victory-- which, according to the expanded universe, is the ONLY clear victory in the whole Empire-Alliance conflict. What movie were you watching that this wasn't different from A New Hope, which was a space fantasy samurai flick where the good guys won?

How's this other example? Mass Effect. The first game's combat was inferior to the second's, because they thought they were making an RPG with shooting elements. The second game was a shooter with RPG elements. Similar, but there were enough changes that the first game and the second game were, essentially, two different games.

I know I forgot some. Any others?

** edited to change "decisive", which isn't quite what I meant, to "clear", which is closer to what I meant.
LEt me make that point more clear. The two films may have been different down to every detail. But I went to see it expecting more of the great story telling and epic battles I got from a new hope.

Mass Effect 1&2 both have great story and epic encounters.

The same can be said for Halo 1-Reach

Captain Pirate

Nov 18, 2009
Good review. Nice that he didn't hate it, and I totally agree with him on Multiplayer and how the game should stand up on it's own campaign.
Which I think is what it should do too. Still love the multiplayer though.

Zagzag

Sep 11, 2009
Undead Dragon King said:
That first pun at the end credits was the best yet.

"I don't know why you say goodbye, I say Halo!"
That was actually a reference to his Halo 3 review.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
That was surprisingly positive coming from Yahtzee...

I enjoyed the game. I'm not going to say it's the greatest thing ever, but it's enjoyable! And certainly more fun (to me, anyway) than the haven of meta-c*nt-istry that is MW2.

Also, I'm easily distracted by shiny things like jetpacks, and grunts exploding into confetti with a headshot. And also jetpacks.

Theistic

Oct 27, 2009
Am I the only one who laughed my figurative arse off at the imp crashing in on a ghost saying: "Sup y'all niggas"?

I liked Halo: Reach. Played it over at a pal's house and a 1v1v1 match can get pretty damned fun. The powers make it easier to kill good players (I actually won one game because of the armor lock that Yahtzee thinks is crap for some reason), without making the game too easy.
Liked invasion too. It's like capture the point in TF2. You even get premade classes and crap.

However, I strongly disagree that all games must be able to stand on their single-player content. I would never, ever pay for Modern Warfare 2 if I only had the single-player campaign. The way I see it, the price you pay is for the game. The campaign, multiplayer, customisation screen, theater, dress-up and vibrating cup are just parts that make up the game in its entirety.
If a game's other parts stop working, well then the game just gets worse than it was before. Situations change, after all.

overkill_78

Feb 11, 2010
I've been calling it Gaylo Reacharound for weeks. It's really fun to do to your Halo fanboy friends. They nerdrage hard.