Zero Punctuation: Halo: Reach

Legendairy314

Aug 26, 2010
I've got to disagree on the multiplayer argument. When a team's efforts are diverted into more than just the single player that effort deserves some kind of merit (or at least notification of it's existence). Why review something if you're only going to review 20% of it? Oh right, this is Zero Punctuation...Never mind!

cthulhumythos

Aug 28, 2009
well that was a lot better than i expected... kudos yahtzee.

(however i hate you for ruining my campaign experiences from now on because now i can never unimagine the whole "they never freaking fall-off their goddamn fast aircraft even though they're more than half off the edge).

Kristoffer Mattila

Mar 28, 2010
ProfessorLayton said:
I am actually surprised that he didn't tear it apart, but I still think that saying "a game has to stand up on single player alone" is a very silly statement. So is the quality of an MMO diminished because there's no mode to grind quests by yourself?
Yes. It. Is.

YoungZer0

Nov 28, 2007
EightGaugeHippo said:
Let me make that point more clear. The two films may have been different down to every detail. But I went to see it expecting more of the great story telling and epic battles I got from a new hope.

Mass Effect 1&2 both have great story and epic encounters.

The same can be said for Halo 1-Reach
Wait a second, are you actually saying you played Halo for the story? Really? Because i came in expecting a good story, but i haven't found it. It was simpler than the horrible mishmash that Halo 2 was, but it wasn't good.

A great example of sequel done better is Half-Life 2. New Weapons, new enemies, same enemies in new and refreshing disguise, new gameplay-elements like the gravity-gun, completely different setting and storyline, new characters, more depth, etc.

Halo is missing all that.

SPARTANXIII

Nov 24, 2009
It's a Halo game.....and he liked it?!

Well I for one am shocked, I thought he was going to be repulsed by it, but he like's it!!
THERE IS A GO-I MEAN FORERUNNER!

conzan

Apr 16, 2010
I like how all the halo haters were expecting him to rip it apart then to fuck there minds he said it was all right haha
why are so many people comparing halo to half life that's just not fair its like comparing a runner to a wheelchair bound turtle its just not fair

Tyrany42

Aug 5, 2010
Loved Halo Reach, though Yahtzee's main complaint is also mine. Seems Bungie only ever makes characters with personality if their death is near. It happened to Johnson and Miranda, while the quiet, emotionless green super soldier gets to live to take a nap in deep space.
Reach made me want to play Mass Effect 2 again, just so I can actually alter the story so that my teammates DON'T die cheap, predictable deaths.

gmanyo

Apr 4, 2009
As surprised that I am that Yahtzee somewhat enjoyed this game, I still think it's complete bullshit that he only reviews the single player, treating the multiplayer like it's something that only 13 year olds do and acting like he's better than everyone else because multiplayer is for douche bags. When a development team spends what was likely half of their time and money on a certain aspect of a game, it isn't exactly good reviewing practice to promptly ignore that part in your review because you are "0mg such a h1gh class gaem3r".

Fortunately for Yahtzee, however, the multiplayer in this particular installment is sort of like the single player: better than average, but still pretty meh. It was great in Halo 2 and 3, but I'm tired of it by now and the maps are quite awful.

Seriously, though, "A full price game has to stand up on single player"? That's a load of crap. I liked Gears of War because the multiplayer was dynamic and creative, but it probably has some of the worst single player I've ever seen in a big budget game. Not to mention the full price games out there that are only multiplayer.

And I know someone out there is going to accuse me of being a Halo fanboy, which I guess is fair enough since it's somewhat true. But I'm pretty much over it now, I swear (Just one more time man! Just one more hit/blunt/game of MTG and I swear I'll never do it again!). I was excited when Reach came out, but then didn't have enough money to buy it for myself. I ended up playing it at my friend's houses, and while it was fun, it wasn't worth the hype. Like I said before, (or half said, at any rate; I implied it. Kind of.) this is just a complaint about the completeness of the review: if Yahtzee had actually played the multiplayer, he'd probably have said the same thing he did about the single player, and he would have been totally spot-on.

*EDIT*
But oh, God, was he right about the terrible plot. The voice acting was almost on par with a Silent Hill game, and the characters might as well have been made of cardboard. Though I guess then they wouldn't really be able to stand up to much gunfire, but whatever.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
YoungZer0 said:
EightGaugeHippo said:
Let me make that point more clear. The two films may have been different down to every detail. But I went to see it expecting more of the great story telling and epic battles I got from a new hope.

Wait a second, are you actually saying you played Halo for the story? Really? Because i came in expecting a good story, but i haven't found it. It was simpler than the horrible mishmash that Halo 2 was, but it wasn't good.

A great example of sequel done better is Half-Life 2. New Weapons, new enemies, same enemies in new and refreshing disguise, new gameplay-elements like the gravity-gun, completely different setting and storyline, new characters, more depth, etc.

Once again, this is all opinion. ALL FUCKING OPINION. And oyu're arguing about it as if it's scientific fact.

Zero Punctuation is brilliant, but it brings out by far the worst in the community here. Refer back to my last post in this thread. You guys are behaving like youtube trolls.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
I'm very surprised that people are surprised that yathzee didn't completely hate halo reach. Seems like a well made game from what everybody says. I mean his halo three review said the game was mediorce and run of the mill. I think he said that here too but not in those exact words.

Apparantly I must learn what this oni game is.

YoungZer0

Nov 28, 2007
OhJohnNo said:
YoungZer0 said:
EightGaugeHippo said:

Once again, this is all opinion. ALL FUCKING OPINION. And oyu're arguing about it as if it's scientific fact.

Zero Punctuation is brilliant, but it brings out by far the worst in the community here. Refer back to my last post in this thread. You guys are behaving like youtube trolls.
Well it is a fact that the Halo Franchise is missing some "change".

sunpop

Oct 23, 2008
We all would like an Oni 2 but we must accept that much like Episode 3 it just isn't happening.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
HA!

Thank you for the sensible review, I was pleasantly surprised that you didn't disembowel, burn, and piss over the game.

Though I do have one thing that is setting off my fanboy rage:

You neglected to mention Forge, firefight, or player customization, all of which can be done without other players.

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
I'm happy to see that despite him liking the game, the Halo fanboys still found ways to clog the board with their "Waaah waaaah! He didn't praise it enough!" child-like tantrums. Just another day on ZP.

P.S. I repeat: "MULTIPLAYA YO!" has become the 21st century equivalent to the late 90s's "awsum gr4fx". You can roll out anything, but if you hit that one little box on the checklist, all the 12 year old boys of the world will defend your work to the end.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Good video, uninteresting game.

Hopefully it'll be Enslaved next week; haven't played it yet (damn you Friday releases!) but that game screams Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time to me.

Cmichaels

Jul 14, 2010
ProfessorLayton said:
You already made the "Hello, Goodbye" pun on the Halo 3 video... or was that intended...

I am actually surprised that he didn't tear it apart, but I still think that saying "a game has to stand up on single player alone" is a very silly statement. So is the quality of an MMO diminished because there's no mode to grind quests by yourself?
Not sure I've ever played or heard of an MMO where you have to do everything with another person