Zero Punctuation: Halo Wars

bittman

Sep 11, 2008
Yahtzee, your reviews of the last month have probably been a few of your best and I know, in the short foreseeable future, these will be some of the ones I replay again and again much like Clive Barker's Jericho.

Also, Yug's a nobody; made me snicker though I doubt not everyone got that joke.

Unlike all these other fanboys who hated that your voice was momentarily overridden by another voice from another Escapist thing, I enjoyed it and the jokes / criticism was still there just without the top hat and thick sarcasm.

TheBXRabbit

Feb 15, 2009
To be honest, I had exactly the same troop selection problem mentioned in the video, until I found out that tapping the right trigger will allow you to scroll through all the different types of units you've currently selected. Why they never mention this anywhere in the game is an annoying mystery, since once you learn about this it cuts down the tedium of splitting your main force up to attack from multiple fronts considerably (my favorite use is to have all my aircraft fly straight to the enemy base and shell the shit out of it while my vehicles split up and shell the shit out of the same base from two or more different directions while the enemy forces are distracted by my aircraft shelling the shit out of them. And then I call in MAC blasts and air strikes. you can guess the rest).

I also would like to mention the annoying fact that there's no proper way to lower your troop count. If for instance I'm trying to build extra tanks or aircraft and I realize that I've hit the fairly arbitrary population cap, the only method I've been able to come up with to lower it is to select small groups of marines and send them in one at a time to die. This does have it's advantages, since it lets me force my soldiers as close to committing hara-kiri as the game allows, and gives my enemy high morale at the weakness of my army only for that hope to be absolutely crushed once an entire regiment of tanks drives right up their ass. But I still would rather have an easier and less time consuming method of recalling troops (and I could still do the hara-kiri tactic anyway if I wanted to).

Anyways, really enjoyed the video, hoping you'll review Mad World at some point.

sarahvait

Nov 6, 2008
Anyone else catch the Brandon Crisp reference? Apparantly Yahtzee fears neither man nor hell.

Destroy Gundam

Feb 20, 2009
alex134219 said:
Destroy Gundam said:
The bit where the imps do a review caught me off guard. Which was the point, I suppose, so clever move there, Yahtzee.

I do agree with the review of Halo Wars. RTS games have always struck me as being almost tailor-made for the PC much in the same way fighting games seem almost tailor-made for consoles.
dont you mean made to suck since all are won by presing the kick button 50 times

(fighting games)
I meant the intended method of control. Keyboard and mouse for RTS/PC, Controller for fighting/console.

Some games are good, others stink. It's all a matter of opinion.

mhitman

Sep 10, 2008
Age of Mythology was the best RTS IMO. If you want to check it out, it's pretty easy aswell.
Funny stuff as always

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
I didn't really care for the rant at the end, mostly because it was about nothing other than frustration at his own incompetence.

You see, there was actually a very good reason for the time limit, the Spirit was being pulled against its will into an underground dock and because the dock had doors that would close upon its entrance so if the ground troops did not make it back before then they would be cut of from the ship.

"We lost contact." Was not the base referring to the troops, it was the field commander referring to the ship.

Of course the day Yahtzee does more than pretend to pay attention to a Halo story is the day Valve makes one.

And there's the whole thing about Yahtzee blatantly ignoring (notably him saying that the d-pad is only for jumping between armies when a look at the control scheme would tell that it is also used to jump between bases, points of interest and the leader (Covenant) or leader powers(UNSC)).

Aside from his shortcomings as a reviewer the humor wasn't so great in this episode. Except for the imp thing, that was gold.

Jabbawocky

Sep 3, 2008
A big WTF?! When I started watching it until I saw the description. Well it's good to know that even the smartest of game genres can be dumbed down for the Halo Generation.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
I think that was one of my favorite ZP reviews ever. It was absolutely hilarious. I was laughing through pretty much the entire thing. Also, it would seem that Yahtzee at least doesn't hate Unskippable.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
That was really funny. I'm just glad he didn't really put down all RTS games because Red Alert 3 is my favourite game (not the ass-tacular expansion; the core game).

But yeah, Yahtzee got it down quite well.

Very funny! Keep it up!

milskidasith

Jul 4, 2008
I would like to point out you can select all of a certain type of unit... (just select all units, then hit the back right trigger... not sure why you can't move left with the left one, but you can cycle through units that way).

Otherwise, funny review.

TacoNinjaSkills

Apr 1, 2009
Starcraft is overhyped crap. I have two words for anyone who has been off the grid for the past decade: TOTAL ANNIHILATION

Also, RTS for console has always been an absolutely horrible idea.

Ange1ofD4rkness

Jan 14, 2009
Yahtzee this has got to be the best one you have done. I like how you and unskippable swapped, that was great he did do a good attempt at it, but the end of this review made me cryand gasp for air. Keep it up, and I would love to see this guest apperance again

kasa

Mar 25, 2009
Wow, the number of Bans of the first page is... large ?

Good review as always tho your not telling us anything new that we cant get from renting a garbage truck and crushing cars with its lifter. It sounds good in the planing stages but when your being pulled off it kinda loses its taste.