Zero Punctuation: Hard Reset

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
You can switch between the two different weapons with one button. It got patched in a few weeks after launch.

Zach of Fables

Oct 5, 2011
I dunno, I still think there is a future for robot-killing shooters. At least there weren't any chest high walls right?

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
mikey7339 said:
Your lose for never looking into any of the mods for Quake 2. There was over a half decade worth of fun, unique entertainment that gaming will never see again, which you never got to experience. And for that I pity you. Look up Gloom for Quake 2 some time. I think a few of the guys who worked on that are working on the new Aliens game now.
And your point? Mods do not a good game make. If a game requires 3rd Party mods to be fun, then the game is doing something wrong. You might buy a game - Oblivion, Fallout 3, Doom - for the modding community it has, but what other people have done is irrelevant.

Yahtzee reviews the game as they are, not with everyone and their mother adding stuff to it. That wouldn't be a review of the game.

Tarkand

Dec 15, 2009
CrossLOPER said:
CM156 said:
MacNille said:
Tarkand said:
I was under the distinct impression that the space marines in 'Space Marine' were blue, not brown :p
I was also under the imperssion that they were blue too. So wrong i have been.
Actually, from what I understand, they're not ALL blue. Just a good number of them. But I never really got into 40K.
Yes, but the point is that they were blue in the game, not brown.
Further point is also that Yahtzee isn't immune to pre-fabricated opinion.

He hates game with built in cover/chest high wall - Space Marines didn't have that.
He hates regenerative health - Space Marines didn't have that.
He hates game with bland character design - Every single character in SM is immediatly recognizable for what it's supposed to be because of design and color choices.
He like to run & gun - Space Marines allows this approach, not only that, it favors a mix of close combat and shooting as the only way to stay alive.
He hates brown shooter - Ultramarine are blue, ork are green, the chaos marine were purple, the daemons are red... Many stages had tons of colors and different hues going on.

[http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/443/warplq.jpg/]
[http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/94/spacemarineo.jpg/]

I mean there's so much brown there, right?

The game is far from perfect of course (I think the 75 it has on meta-critic is pretty accurate. Add 10 points if you're a fan of the ip), and there's plenty of thing to find to hate about it I'm sure, and Yahtzee sure did hate it... but it feels it's mainly because he hates the IP, which he's allowed of course and Yahtzee has never been known for his objectivity... but still, it's rather odd to see a game get so much right from the Yahtzee's 'What make a good game check list' and still earn his vitriol.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Just a shame it's only about four and a half hours long.

Even for just thirty bucks, that's not much bang.

[sub][sub][sub][sub]Stalling in three... two... one...[/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub]

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Tarkand said:
CrossLOPER said:
CM156 said:
MacNille said:
Tarkand said:
I was under the distinct impression that the space marines in 'Space Marine' were blue, not brown :p
Actually, from what I understand, they're not ALL blue. Just a good number of them. But I never really got into 40K.

He hates game with built in cover - Space Marines didn't have that.
He like to run & gun - Space Marines allows this approach, not only that, it favors a mix of close combat and shooting as the only way to stay alive.
He hates brown shooter - Ultramarine are blue, ork are green, the chaos marine were purple, the daemons are red... Many stages had tons of colors and different hues going on.

The game is far from perfect of course (I think the 78 it has on meta-critic is pretty accurate. Add 10 points if you're a fan of the ip), and there's plenty of thing to find to hate about it I'm sure, and Yahtzee sure did hate it... but it feels it's mainly because he hates the IP, which he's allowed of course and Yahtzee has never been known for his objectivity... but still, it's rather odd to see a game get so much right from the Yahtzee's 'What make a good game check list' and still earn his vitriol.
I get the impression that Yahtzee plays for the story and the atmosphere and not so much the actual gameplay. How the game actually plays is usually just a small fraction of a ZP vid.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
MacNille said:
Tarkand said:
LOL everyone! Ultramarins are Ultramarine!

I know colors :D.

Lets ignore the obvious point, now lets mention the primary colors of the Tau and Chaos Space Marines :eek:!

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well he nailed it, the game is very much lacking variety, sure it's leaps and bounds above the modern warfare shooters but others still do things better.

As for the plot, I was in "*dropped jaw* what the shit is going on here" mode from the first cutscene on, really can't make out what they were trying to put together.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
Tarkand said:
CrossLOPER said:
CM156 said:
MacNille said:
Tarkand said:

He hates game with built in cover/chest high wall - Space Marines didn't have that.
He hates game with bland character design - Every single character in SM is immediatly recognizable for what it's supposed to be because of design and color choices.

The game is far from perfect of course (I think the 75 it has on meta-critic is pretty accurate. Add 10 points if you're a fan of the ip), and there's plenty of thing to find to hate about it I'm sure, and Yahtzee sure did hate it... but it feels it's mainly because he hates the IP, which he's allowed of course and Yahtzee has never been known for his objectivity... but still, it's rather odd to see a game get so much right from the Yahtzee's 'What make a good game check list' and still earn his vitriol.
But most importantly, Yahtzee likes pissing off fanboys. And that he did.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Shooter Season 2011 is pretty good so far. Lot of interesting titles and interesting takes on all of them. I look forward to seeing how Rage stacks with the rest. Moreover, did Yahtzee get the PC or console or both? :D

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
I find it odd that Yahtzee (who often complains about sameness and repetition in AAA games that I enjoy) was actually less bothered by the lack of variety in this game than I was, also I would add to the list of problems with this game the fact that enemies take way to many shots to bring down but aren't actually that threatening so the game ends up losing the frenetic pace that makes games like painkiller awesome, that and the thrice damned slow ass menu screens make me want to tear my hair out

ultrapowerpie

Feb 22, 2011
I have a question: Who on earth is that face that Yhatzee keeps uusing over and over again in all his reviews? Like in this one, when he mentions Shooter Season 2011, he has the guy with a bandana on. I'm just curious who this person is.

Also, liked the review.

NoNameMcgee

Feb 24, 2009
Finally a review where I mostly agree with Yahtzee again (used to happen a lot, has been happening much less in the last 2 years)

I actually didn't like this game for the simple reason he said, robots just aren't that fun to shoot to be honest.

Tarkand

Dec 15, 2009
LobsterFeng said:
Tarkand said:
CrossLOPER said:
CM156 said:
MacNille said:
Tarkand said:

But most importantly, Yahtzee likes pissing off fanboys. And that he did.
He most certainly did yes :p.

The Extra Punctuation column where he tore into 40k got much more replies than the average EP column.

Tarkand

Dec 15, 2009
poiumty said:
Tarkand said:

You're cherry-picking. Most levels (apart from the very last) were brown and had a brown hue to them, the armor color was faded blue and the orks almost looked brown themselves. The lighting was also brown. It did have other colors, but faded brown was the dominant one.

I liked Space Marine because it was just so camp and ridiculous, but it really didn't offer much in the way of innovation.
The portal opens in act 3 and casts a purple/blue light on everything there after. Pretty much any indoor mission also has green-ish/blue-ish hues.

The fact that you're looking over the shoulder of a blue giant fighting green monster also oughta count for something. Game is certainly a lot more colorful than Gear of Wars 3 or any of the MoW or CoD games, that can't really be denied - I'm not saying it's Viva Pinata colorful mind you, but as far as shooter go, it's certainly in the more colorful half.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
I actually like both, strategy games and FPS. :-(

Steam-based? Okay. That's it for me then. I'd have liked to give it a try, but... oh well.

Plus, I've seen some gameplay videos. Honestly, it looked pretty dull, not action-packed and fun like Painkiller.